where do i start with aphex twin

he has like 50000000000 releases

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Aloryfd5ipw
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

this one
people will post selected ambient works but listen to this one

how does he make so much music

it sounds like he spends 500 hours on one bar of music and each song has like 500 different bars

Don't, Aphex twin is poor man's Autechre

But AE are a poor mans Stockhausen

Autism.

Autechre is Aphex Twin with less soul and more precision

Yeah, but Stockhausen is poor man's Bach.

Yeah, but Bach is a poor man's Aphex Twin

Honestly, SAW 85-92, RDJ Album or Syro are all easy places to start with Aphex. It really depends on which side of his music you prefer.

Try Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites, it's his most famous.

Autechre sounds like they make the compositions super complex for complexities sake and aphex twin does it because it sounds weird and funny

aphex twin is a lot more interesting

>autist twin

>the aphex twins

Everyone starts with analord:

youtube.com/watch?v=Aloryfd5ipw

>less soul
debatable
just because afx has very melodic and soothing tracks like Heliospan and Rhubarb doesn't mean he's any more soulful

Richard has more soul. How the fuck could you deny that?

Autechre want their music to be right, Aphex wants it to be good

download his entire discog on rutracker
start at 1991 and go from there

Holy shit that'd be difficult to work through all the post rave shit he produced before saw/saw ii
I'm fairly sure Aphex wants his music to be fun and non serious while Autechre don't give a shit about interpretation of their music.
Start with Rushup Edge or SAW 1

You saw some reddit comparison of these two and took it as your own opinion.

you must be over 18 to post on this board

why the fuck does he have so many single and ep releases like ugh what the fuck. just put them out as albums. i'm not gonna listen to singles.

pardner please

i read some shit about aphex twin and the guys from radiohead were going on and sucking his balls about how amazing he is and aphex twin guy said something like 'i dont listen to them, they suck ' right after

You don't have an opinion, because you're afraid of people calling you out for it.

>NO U XD
Nice reply.

>yfw he has an ep thats longer than one of his albums

>yfw its the closest thing hes ever made to a (((concept album)))

>mfw you will never listen to it because it's an """ep"""

Welcome to dance music newfriend.

which ep, user?

come to daddy

Im listening to selected ambient works

its nice

the first song sounds like that glams gasino guy ripped it off for that song that was popular by that goofball rapper guy that used to be big on Sup Forums

>those remixes
>weakling
>dat flim

literally kill yourself immediately

How is it a concept album? What?
>Come to daddy
>Flim

Ugh I just wrote out an entire thing and my fucking browser went crazy and I lost it all. Goddamn it. I'll get back to you later.

dont compare aphex to edm ever again

kill yourself, edm is not a genre. aphex twin is dance music. his early releases are techno, saw2 obviously is ambient, and everything between rdj and drukqs is jungle.

First of all, I didn't say it's a concept album. It's just the closest thing to a concept album he's ever made.

The entire EP is about the strange and wonderful tension between disturbing and beautiful. The first track, Come to Daddy, is a noisy, loud, breakbeat banger, and it flows gently into Flim, which is delicate and affecting. The contrast between these two tracks is exactly the emotional space that the EP occupies.

The Faulteroy mix and Funny Little Man utilize a twisted, childlike voice saying disturbing things. It's unsettling, but absurd. It's firmly tongue-in-cheek, though: a line like "looking at the swans, hearing the birds singing" in the context of that song is classic Aphex humor. It's almost a satire of RDJ's whole schtick, from ICBYD til Drukqs - the whole demented, uncomfortable, and yet fun aesthetic, as evidenced by his album covers and music videos. These two tracks just take that to an extreme.

Flim, Contour Regard, and IZ-US are simply gorgeous. They rank among Rhubarb, Fingerbib, and Alberto Balsalm as some of the most beautiful tracks in his discography. Bringing these two disparate emotions together - beauty and disgust - is kind of what RDJ is best at; it's refreshingly volatile.

(1/2)

The EP is very personal, though it might not seem that way at first. Bucephalus Bouncing Ball is a phenomenally ambitious breakbeat track, recreating the sound of a ball bouncing with drum beats. One can imagine a 14 or 15 year old RDJ (by the way, somewhere in Cornwall, with a meager array of samplers and synthesizers, trying to get his drum machines to sound like a bouncing ball. (By the way, SAW85-92... RDJ was born in 1971, meaning some of the music on that album dates back to when he was as young as 14... ) Let's look at the meaning of Bucephalus... Alexander the Great's horse, that he tamed when he was a boy.

Here I'm going to plagiarize a rym review:

"And so, like the title suggests, Richard D. James tamed his own beast, that of an electronically realised bouncing ball. The track is perhaps the most ambitious drum ‘n’ bass/breakbeat offering ever produced, and there really is a sense that it is a recording of something which is very much alive and being wrestled with in order to create something wonderful which I say has been done. But it is not only on this track where James has emerged from the mixing room cluttered with machines (according to his mother) to stand victoriously amongst his parent’s accumulated china and silverware. The whole record is a triumph of exploration, mood alteration, electronic ambitions and above all fun. It is a shame that as he stands before his own creators and plays them the delicate mix between chaos and artistry which he has manipulated into sound that the first thing they will probably do is to offer him a cup of tea and enquire about that nice girl he brought round last month."

(2/2)

I would argue that RDJ Album is more of a concept in itself - it shows the constant struggle of melody versus breakbeat. Though come to daddy contains more vocal samples and such, RDJ Album feels personal. For example, 4 has only one sample but the music builds around that sample rather than the samples building around the music (like in funny little man)

And I don't believe Richard made Bucephalus Bouncing Ball at 14. The song was a response to Autechre's Drane which came out in 1998. Also, Richard was doing rave music and some SAW early tracks at 14, which leads me to believe he wasn't too keen on creating that type of music then.

I'm not saying he made Bucephalus at 14. I know all about the whole Drane thing. I was just pointing out the connection there; don't you think a 14 year old Richard would have wanted to make a drum track that sounded like bouncing balls? Of course he wasn't able to until later, because breakbeat is a lot harder to make than techno.

start at the beginning, like you would with any artist

some artists dont get good until later in their career and some albums have certain themes that the listener might not be interested in, so thats bad advice. thats like saying you should follow a show from the beginning because it has a consistent narrative, but music doesnt have that necessarily.