Why is his Nobel Prize For Literature win so controversial?

Why is his Nobel Prize For Literature win so controversial?

well his most popular song is just cover from guns n roses so it's no wonder

because most people aren't familiar with bob dylan's post-1966 work, or they think he's a woody guthrie/phil ochs hack because they aren't familiar with his post-1964 work

>he shot a man named grey
>and took his wife to italy

becuz he is dylan lol

Because he's not a writer, he's a musician, and to award him what is generally considered the highest honour a writer can recieve is a disservice to poets and authors that some think deserve it more, as well as doing a disservice to Dylan's music. A lot of his words aren't that great on the page, and need to be heard from him, with music, to stand out as brilliant.

His lyrics are extremely overrated, however he's a better lyricist than a singer, i can't stand his voice.
That said, it was merely a publicity stunt to make normies care for the most irrelevant category of the nobel prize.

Because it could have gone to a genuinely good poet who's overdue for the award, like John Ashbery, Nicanor Parra, Adunis, Ko Un, Bei Dao, among others

This thread isn't about the Peace Prize

cause they've never given a musician a fucking nobel for one thing

That doesn't mean that Dylan deserved this one in specific, or a nobel at all.

Yeah the other issue people seem to have is that it come with nine hundred thousand dollars prize money which isn't a huge amount to Dylan but would be to most authors

because insulting dylan makes people feel smart and special

what category do you think a musician should win in?

Would you like it if a Grammy went to David Foster Wallace - Infinite Jest as best album?

it's not a charity committee. What the prize money is worth to a person isn't a factor
the grammys have an award for people reading books, so their not the best example

None because nobels in literature are meant for people who wrote literature, not pop songs.

well that's my thoughts too, i don't think he deserved it but with this post you made it sound like i did

I like Dylan and think he was deserving of the award but still think it shouldn't have gone to him. Dylan's already has his place in culture, he's big enough that the Nobel doesn't affect his stature all that much, whereas the other people who were up for nomination are, to the eyes of the non-reading world, nobodies (I'm phrasing this horribly, I know), who could've used the newfound recognition. Everyone and their grandma (in this case that isn't an exaggeration) knows who Bob Dylan is, I'd be lying if I said I knew any of the others up for the prize.

because writing lyrics for a song is different than writing a fucking novel it doesn't matter how good the lyrics are it just isn't as impressive or meaningful

The Nobel Committee has always been a fucking joke anyways, so I'm not sure why this of all things has gotten people up in arms over their arbitrary selection process.

The phrasing of this post makes it seem like you'd be bothered if a "regular" poet won the award.

>pop songs

I think Dylan deserves a bit more credit then just being another "pop song" writer.

If anyone should win the Nobel Prize in Literature, it's Jeff Mangum, who completely shits all over Bob Dylan. Now those are lyrics.

hey man, he can't help it if he's lucky

Some think it should have gone to Leonard Cohen instead. But then again, a Canadian already won recently.

Actually Leonard Cohen would probably be a better choice than Alice Munro lol

i am

His win just highlights that a music award ceremony with legitimate credit and prestige would be incredibly difficult to create.

Not if it's for real music.

Then you don't deserve good literature in general, not that you'd be able to recognize it

Because music isn't literature.

This is a good point. Dylan already has worldwide recognition of being an incredible writer, i'm sure there are tons of novelists that never get the recognition they deserve and now never will because musicians are getting the spotlight. Literature is already on the brink of death in mainstream pop culture, this is just pushing it over the edge.

he killed literature