/daily/ - "31st of october" edition

It's Halloween!

The point of these threads is to encourage people to look for new and interesting music. We do this by listening to and ideally discussing albums we've never heard before. Many of us already listen to new music daily, these people are in it to venture "out of their comfort zone" by listening to albums they otherwise wouldn't have, or just to have a good time.

neverendingchartrendering.org/
>come here to make charts

plug.dj/sdc-room-3-the-sequel
>come here to endlessly circlejerk over meme videos and maybe sometimes hopefully music

dailymu-sic.weebly.com/
>come here for op pics, charts, listenalongs, misc. stuff

discord.gg/s5Rv7zJ
>no minors allowed

The Skype group, along with the Hanging Gardens of Babylon, is one of the wonders of the ancient world presumed to be fictional.

Previously, on /daily/:

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=hNtvaV0r2Ig
youtu.be/w5OgdnvBFmk
rateyourmusic.com/release/comp/blind_willie_johnson/the_complete_blind_willie_johnson/
youtu.be/9nby7DoM8rE
youtu.be/dBMeSNiKBIw
youtube.com/watch?v=Ag_97QJh6HE
youtube.com/watch?v=8ZRes-AaalY&list=PLUm14RyqutJOvPnyPMj7S-ZfT3RCp37mP
youtube.com/watch?v=Usw7Tr6foXk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Wishing a happy 45th anniversary to Pink Floyd's Meddle.

the adventures continue

Ganksta N-I-P - The South Park Psycho (1992)
>horrorcore, southern hip hop, gangsta rap

So vulgar and horrible it absolutely crosses over into "so bad it's good" territory. N-I-P's lyrics are obviously incredibly horrific. One doesn't have to look further than "Disgusting" to realize the true extent of how fucking vulgar this album is. "Went out to eat with a bitch that I hate / So I nutted in her cup to keep from buying her another shake / Raised up her dress, her pussy smelled like socks / I got mad and made her drink some period blood on the rocks” really only scratches the surface of the disgusting lyrics on this thing, and for how awful they are, I really do love them. They're just /so/ over-the-top, and they're delivered with a scary amount of passion and conviction. However, the pure enjoyment I get from the lyrics and their delivery is really the only majorly positive thing I can say about this album. The beats are alright, I guess, but really unmemorable and cheesy at times, especially with the overuse of the same gun sound effect. This kind of adds to the aesthetic of the album, but taken on it's own it's just lousy, lazy production. It's a good listen for today, but I can't say I'd ever give it another serious listen.

2.0+

lol
when u doin circuit rider though

Deerhunter's best album is __________

probably right after gaznevada

John Fahey - The Dance of Death and Other Plantation Favorites

A good collection of Fahey from his prime. Great compositions on here, and a good addition to any collection of his work. Nothing as astounding as Vol. 4 or Fare Forward Voyagers, but still a incredibly pleasing to listen to.

GOOD.

Jefre Cantu-Ledesma - Shining Skull Breath

This is one of Jefre's early recordings, and it contains some of his most caustic textures. Jefre deals with morbid themes rather than blissful on here, and it only works sometimes, at least in my opinion. The album doesn't have the sheer beauty of his other work, and this causes the album to feel quite dull towards the end. It's clear that Jefre isn't exactly in his comfort zone, and this reflects badly on the album. I feel like if Jefre were to hone his darker textures he could compose a great album in this vein, and as it is, this album is really nothing special.

EHH.

Morita Doji - Mother Earth

A good album from one of the greats of Japanese folk. Really beautiful guitar and vocal work on here, with some eerie melodies contrasted by blissfully slow riffs. The album does not flow as well as A Boy, in my opinion, but it's definitely just as worth a listen. Doji is an essential artist with a stellar discog, and this is no exception. The ender is especially impressive.

GOOD.

>forgetting the best album to come out on October 31st

halcyon digest
its not even good though

knees and bones is quite cool but gets boring sometimes
k.r.t. wasitodiningrat is decent but you'll get tired of them fast. at least it happened to me in the one i listened to.
clifford brown and max roach make a good combination. a study in brown is funner though.

>koko incredible
damn right
prepare yourself for soul's true love though

I was gonna be upset that you gave that a 2.0 but all your complaints are pretty valid. I personally love that he goes all out and the pure ridiculousness is actually my favorite part of that release.

Not for everyone though and I'll admit that the production is kinda corny.

yeah i'm doing that one tomorrow, very excited

halcyon digest is the best p4k-core release of the decade.

>a study in brown is funner though
yeah, i've gotta check that out too, i've got all of their collabs.

him going all out is pretty damn great, not gonna lie, but it's almost /too/ much, and the production doesn't really back it up, ya feel me?

New iTunes is fucking trash what the FUCK.
ALL MY ARTIST PICTURES GONE.
FORMATTING IS ASS.
REGRET REGRET REGRET.

itunes
lmao

i havent updated itunes in like two years lol

(should've jumped ship when turtleneck meme died)

Yeah, I definitely see where you're coming from

some shit i've been listening to the last couple of days

>Colin Newman - A-Z
Not quite as good as the music he did with Wire but still great. He really delves into the synth stuff that they were exploring in 'Chairs Missing' and '154'. Fav tracks are '& Jury' which just sounds like a Wire song and the soundscape 'Image'. 4/5

>Various Artists - Back From The Grave Vol.1
I'm not sure how I've not listened to any of these Crypt Records compilations before, it's just the kind of dumb fun garage I love. I saw this after checking out the songs you played so thanks for playing Rat's Revenge and Jack The Ripper and putting me onto this trianglecubed. 4/5

>ESG - Come Away with ESG
This was great. Just the kind of repetetive rhythmic post-punk I like. Vocals were average but simple basslines, drums and tambourine are incredibly danceable. 4/5

It sucks. Updated for the first time in years with getting my new laptop and it can't even run properly in full HD.

Yo' check me out y'all let me know what y'all think

[1/2]

Happy Halloween /daily/!

>Frank Zappa/The Mothers of Invention - We’re Only In It For the Money

I’ve only heard a handful of Zappa albums but pretty much everything of his has been a frustrating experience. There’s these moments of brilliance, surrounded by stuff I really don’t like. He takes stabs at comedy, throws in quirky little experimental elements and just basically does what he wants. When it works, it’s great but when it doesn’t… it’s just annoying.

That being said, I did enjoy the way he critiqued the hippie movement at its peak, which is something I don’t see a lot of artists doing. There’s some nice moments that come about on here as a result. Songs like “Flower Punk” and “Absolutely Free” have nice psychedelic vibes that make for surprisingly catchy songs. I think I enjoy Zappa the most when he’s using the doo-wop influence, I really wish he’d done it more. This is still pretty enjoyable though. I do think this is probably ranked behind “Hot Rats” and “Freak Out” though.

Zappa albums have all grown on me a bit over time so I’ll have to come back to this again in the near future.

3/5

[2/2]

>Fela Kuti - Expensive Shit

God damn this is so funky. This is like 24 straight minutes of Kuti and his band just having a jazz/funk filled jam session that’s just incredible. I had enjoyed “Zombie” but never really got around to this for some reason. I do think this is a better release though, it’s just so energetic and awesome.

The best moment of the album is on the s/t track, at about 8 minutes, when piano comes in. It has a very Herbie Hancock vibe, it sounds a lot like that ‘70s Rhodes. Love it. And there’s a choir that joins in on the beginning of side B that was just awesome. All throughout this album, the rhythm section is just outstanding, they’re right where they need to be to make this catchy. The group gradually builds on these repetitive/hypnotic jam sessions to create two awesome 10+ minute tracks that never feel old. I think it takes a rare talent to make songs these lengthy so incredibly catchy.

I like that this is only about 20 minutes - it’s nice and succinct. I wish it went on longer but realistically I think I may have gotten tired of this if was double or triple the length. Regardless, is some good shit for sure, I can see this becoming one of my favorites.

4.5+/5

Yeah I need an alternative, it really blows.

At least multi-track pieces finally get their own formatting tho

monthly chart done with lots of of memetechno yayyy

Weird Era Cont.

halloween spooktacular in plug

get in here because I'm running out of halloween songs quick

a lot of not good

its lit

Do you not use Spotify or anything? I only use Itunes when I can't stream anywhere else. The new layout is kinda garbage.

Huh, this is surprisingly decent. Not too big on the second guy though, he really isn't my style.

Also, I forgot how fucking nice that beat is.

>Not just playing the entire 3-6 discog

Streaming is kind of garbage. One day Spotify'll poof.

errthing will

also rip plug

spotify will kick the bucket before files hopefully

you will :)

>Streaming is kind of garbage.

I mean, I just think it's super convenient. I can play whatever I want at work instead of scrolling through files on my phone. That alone makes me enjoy streaming more

It's honestly brutal. I'm not usually one to complain about updates, but all they did is remove important things and make navigation more difficult.

>Do you not use Spotify or anything?
Nah.

Gaznevada - Sick Soundtrack (1980)
>new wave, dance-punk

The songwriting is pretty much dreck, mainly because I'm not sure it even exists. The grooves keep this album together, but there's literally nothing else of substance besides these grooves. They are great, to be fair. They're the logical conclusion of the oft-forgotten "mutant disco" genre, keeping the four to the floor beat prominent while making every other element as whacked-out and experimental as possible. Cool enough, and fun as hell, but totally inconsequential and a slight chore.

Circuit Rider - Circuit Rider (1980)
>psychedelic rock, blues rock

I swear, private press releases of genres I don't particularly care for are always ten times better than releases on actual labels. Private press releases always have an aura of mystique to them, and a general sense of amateurity that adds a lot of charm to the music. This is no exception. The songwriting is actually quite lovely, they know how to add blues influence without making it seem hokey and ham-handed, and they pull off '70s/'80s hard rock cliches without making them seem tired and overplayed. Gets /very/ generic at times, mainly with the songs about Harleys (ugh), but this is kept to a minimum, making room for some damn solid bluesy psych rock.

3.0-

(1/2)

(2/2)

E+E - The Light That You Gave Me to See You (2013)
>plunderphonics, sound collage

There are a lot of interesting ideas here, but they're executed poorly, too many ideas are thrown about at once, making the finished product seem too cluttered to be enjoyable. The pure sound collages are where this issue is the most prominent. Hundreds of samples are thrown together onto one sonic pallette, making something interesting, and with a lot of potential, but ultimately grating and not enjoyable in the slightest. The strengths of this record are shown when these collages are toned down, making way for the more vocal-driven tracks. Crampton has an intrinsic sadness to her voice that forces even the most cluttered, chaotic sound collages back down to reality, bringing together these two polar opposites for a nice happy medium. I wish these vocal tracks were more prominent, because as is they're still drowned out way too much by the cluttered collages.

2.0+

>all they did is remove important thing
that's all apple does desu

it's why i haven't fucked with itunes in years

>Pale Cocoon - Cocoon
This is kinda interesting sounding for its time, but it doesn't give off the "mysterious relic of the past" vibe that I was expecting.
Some tracks have a proto-shoegaze feel to them, but they don't last too long.
I don't really listen to this genre of music much, so I'm not sure what to make of it.
Though I think it's easy to say that Cocteau Twins does a better job of whatever this band was trying to accomplish.
Overall, not particularly engaging, but not bad.
I'll give it a few more listens as this is likely the kind of music that needs some sinking in time.

when your ex of 2 months leaves a milkshake on your steps at 10 pm

I think Cocteau Twins is a pretty terrible comparrison other than the "ethereal" connection (which I would say is extremely vague), but as someone who is much more into the dark "spooky shit" I could see all those complaints as valid.

The square picture really trips me out. Please don't post this anymore.

I would probably say it isn't really "sinking in" music. You probably just didn't like it, which is fine because I feel pretty alone in loving it.

idktf

i shouldn't even know this feel like who the fuck does that

Yeah the square pic looked dumb, but I was lazy and it came with the download.

It could be (and likely is) a terrible comparison for all I know, but was this album supposed to be spooky?
I guess the beginning part was a little unnerving.
I'm hesitant to say that I didn't like it. I just feel as though I didn't "get" it. I feel as though I need to pay a little more attention.
I felt the same way about OPN - Replica, and now it's one of my favorite albums of all time.
The main obstacle to get past is probably the vocals.

John Coltrane - Coltrane (April 19, 1962 - June 20, 1962)

The calm before the storm. The early classic quartet shows they are very capable and adaptable on this set, mixing long-form songs with shorter tracks, and covers with Coltrane compositions. Even in their early rendition, the quartet shows a strong sense of interplay, and the musicians compliment each other beautify. The compositions don’t leave a ton of room for experimentation, but the quartet certainly pushes them to their limit.

The album begins with the strongest song, Out of This World (A Harold Arlen cover). Stretching over 14 minutes, the classic quartet makes their first strong statement with tight cohesive playing with a strong avantgarde edge. Coltrane’s playing is explosive and emotive while remaining rooted in hard bop, making this a perfect bridge for what’s to come. The following two cover tracks, much in the vein of Ballads, revert back to more traditional bop tracks with a little added spice. The band seems a little bored with the constraints of the pieces, and it definitely rubs off on the listener. Great playing and atmosphere, but the songs seem wrong for the band. The last two tracks are Coltrane compositions very reminiscent of India from the live album Impressions, albeit much more toned down and traditional. The same evocations of middle-eastern influences are there, but with a lot less emotion.

Overall this album showcases the diverse capabilities of the quartet in an uncomfortable setting. The tracks seem like a mismatch for the musicians, and the inconsistencies make the album flow poorly. The musicians are certainly fantastic and capable, but this set doesn’t do a great job capturing that.
Check out the first track for sure though.

6.5 /10

The Prophets - Conquering Lion (1975)
>roots reggae

Thick, heavy, deep roots reggae. The dissonance between You's happy, upbeat vocals and the apocalyptic instrumentals is great, and the major facet of the music. The bass on this thing is extraordinary, heavy enough to make my fucking headphones rattle, while the percussion switches the music up enough rhythmically to keep it interesting throughout it's entire runtime. It's still reggae, so it's still prone to some repetition, and I'm not entirely on board with the call-and-response vocals, but this is good stuff.

3.0+

Can't quite recall if I've posted this before, but it's been sitting in my notes folder and I don't think I have. If I did, sue me

>Helium - The Dirt of Luck
Grungy noise rock and pop from ’95, released on Matador (if that means anything). Frontwoman Mary Timony is responsible for a lot of the sounds on here, so I guess this is pretty much just her own little project.

The first half is a short collection of pretty basic songs, but effective in their catchiness and varied enough to not become glaringly simple. A few songs in and the simple noise pop mold starts to crack, like “Baby’s Going Underground”; featuring a long screaming guitar build, “Skeleton”; a sinister, jagged-riffed track (later used by Sonic Youth apparently?), or “All the X’s Have Wings”; very Slint-like in its soft-loud dynamic shifts and general stylings. “Oh the Wind and Rain” and “Honeycomb” are both beautiful slow-core tracks, while “Flower of the Apocalypse”—the closer—lumbers along dreamily, wielding a great slab of tortured feedback.

I love the grungy, sludgy aesthetic of it all, and even though many songs feature some unique identifying bit of unusual instrumentation (organ, xylophone, some weird vocal manipulation, etc.), it’s never overbearing. On the other hand, the album never really gets weird anywhere. It’s fairly safe. But it’s albums like these where I rediscover my weakness for good noisy guitar music, no matter how straightforward.
>7/10

Another review bump. Pretty sure I haven't posted this one either.
is me btw

>Roedelius - Wenn Der Südwind Weht
I wish every track was as cozy as the first. I mean, some of them are really chill, but that first track is just wayyy too cozy. Meandering synth over a simple, warm, snug little muddled piano rhythm. Mmmmm

Surprisingly memorable melodies on a few tracks for something so low key and new age. It sounds a lot like the cover, in a bunch of different ways (some are just plain lazy-cozy, a few move kind of like a stream, a few kind of just shine ambient, etc). I’ve never listened to Cluster, but I really ought to.
>7/10

post something u cocksuckers

something

why is this so terrible?

I remember it just being sort of mediocre when I first listened to it, but it's really much worse than that, wow. Honestly, just one of the least exciting pop albums I've ever heard. I listened to it twice through, and the only parts I could find as salvageable were bits in "Only Tomorrow" and bits from "New You". Everything else just feels pointless. I won't claim that Loveless is perfect or anything, but everything I enjoy about it is pretty much gone. I guess I enjoyed Loveless for the reason I enjoy very little shoegaze at all. The melodies, while dreamy and sometimes meandering, are still simple, catchy, and almost always remain the focal point of the songs. Powerful and overwhelming guitar change-ups which are distorted/reverbed to shit (pretty much everyone remembers their first time hearing Only Shallow, especially if this was their first intro to the genre, which for many of us it was) which blew me away the first time, despite their simplicity. Here, I feel like all those moments which makes Loveless so relistenable to me are pushed to the very back of the mix in most tracks, or just aren't present at all. Take the synth-bits in" In Another Way" for example. If this were on Loveless, I feel like these would've been pushed to the front over the shoegaze-guitar rather than almost as a melody you have to nearly strain your ears to listen for.

It just comes SO CLOSE to being at that barrier between "pretty decent pop album" to "pointless nothing garbage" but falls just short so many times that it begins to feel like audible blue-balls.

3 or 4 idk this really left me unsatisfied.

I haven't written about music in quite some time, but hopefully this will cause some discussion. What do YOU think about m b v?

youtu.be/w5OgdnvBFmk

>audible blue-balls
That's actually the perfect description for that album

it is not ok how well that dancing works with the song

[1/2]

>Blind Willie Nelson - Complete Works, Vol 1

I’m not very knowledgeable when it comes to blues but this is awesome. You can tell this dude is just pouring his heart out onto these tracks, as he sings various spirituals and soul-crushing personal tales. What really ties this collection together though, is his voice. It sounds like he swallowed a bunch of rocks before he started singing, it’s so damn gravelly. At first, I wasn’t so much of a fan but it adds this raw, soulful element to the recordings. And there’s a couple of moments where he actually sounds a bit smooth. This whole thing is rough and lo-fi (obviously, since it was recorded in the ‘20s) which adds this whole extra layer that makes it feel even more passionate and sincere.

Reminds me a lot of Key To The Kingdom, which is another one of these early gospel/blues recordings that I’ve enjoyed in the past. I’ll have to check out Vol 2 because based on this one, I’m sure I’ll love it.

4/5

[2/2]

>Yo La Tengo - Painful

This is such a nice mellow listen, I loved it. This whole album has this hazy atmosphere that I absolutely love. It’s dreamy and ethereal like a lot of shoegaze I’ve heard so far but what takes this to another level is the organ. Whoever thought of throwing the organ into this was genius because it gives the album an even dreamer feel. It works perfectly in combination with the guitar feedback and the soothing vocals on here. Pretty much everything I like about shoegaze is in this album.

Unlike a lot of other shoegaze albums though, this has a brooding feel to it. It never feels quite too negative but all these songs have this weird combination of slow, noisy and hypnotic. A couple of these songs are a bit on the lengthy side, especially considering the nature of this genre but it works most of the time. Though the atmosphere on here is gorgeous and the instrumentation makes this a fun listen, it does get a bit samey after a while. I think I’ve said that about 20 shoegaze albums but it’s still applicable here.

I have no idea how to rank albums like this but I thought it was quite a pleasant listen with some incredible tracks. One day, this will feel like a 5 and later it’ll feel samey and get a 2.5… definitely a mood-driven album. Regardless, I think “Nowhere Near” and “Sudden Organ” are both just absolutely beautiful tracks.

For now: 3.5+/5

>Blind Willie Nelson
heh

this theme is so ugly holy heck

would absolutely rec doing disc 2 (assuming this: rateyourmusic.com/release/comp/blind_willie_johnson/the_complete_blind_willie_johnson/ is the comp you're talking about). Although disc 1 has some of his more popular hits like "When the War Was On" and of course "Dark Was the Night..." disc 2 has some very underrated tracks like "John the Revelator" and "Trouble Will Soon Be Over". I doubt you'll find it much worse at least, so I'd definitely recommend it.

I remember thinking it was pretty mediocre as well. Nothing really stands out about it now that I look back at it. Then again, I never got super into Loveless either.

I'll have to revisit it now that I've heard your thoughts.

Fuck, sorry I'm tired

That is the one I'm talking about. I'll definitely have to check it out. Might do another writeup as well

I don't know what your talking about with the theme. It's comfy as frick.

My major qualm, besides having to stream all my music when my wifi is such shit, is the lack of permanence. I'd like to have my files on my computer. With files separated from you, there's a hundred possible things that could cut your connection.

Same thing with real estate. May be forcing the metaphor here, but you owning the land is so much more valuable to you and anyone else than you owning a lease on the land.

I feel like a conspiracy theorist hoarding trash for the apocalypse here, but I prefer to own my files over the convenience factors.

I'm not trying to convince anyone to switch though. I can appreciate the startup costs of switching from one to the other.

Loveless has a lot more bite to it. M B V is a wet noodle by comparison.

the link orange is a little bright, but the site bg, post bg, and post text colors are top.

I can see what you're saying about streaming. It is a bit frustrating when I can't access Spotify cause I'm so used to it. And having your own personal collection, both physical and digital, is a much different feeling.

Also, totally agree about M B V. I revisited it and got about three tracks in before giving up. Feels a bit bland. Not terrible imo, just not very engaging

why is the internet obsessed with stirner

why's the internet obsessed with marx?

memes

He has a funny forehead and a smug expression, and we all know that leftists are the best at memes.

what is this haloween meme

thats what you get for being software plebbos
seriously I didn't imagine so many besides jangly actually use the fucking thing

dude its pumpkin orange gotta have them pumpkins

I do and I have never had any problems with it :^)
(also 2 attached to my ipod classic)

reminder to check out AOTY

Hey compadres what are you doing this first of november ?
I'm listening to Bathory's Blood Fire Death
:)

listening to , preparing exams for Thursday and Friday. I'll be hitting the gym with a mate later tho, which is nice.

Listened to Bathory and Lutomysl so far. Now with Tormentor.

having a good nbbmbmmbmb so far?

sounds pretty good, the pumping will only help at your exams

i'm listening to Hammerheart now
holy shit it's E P I C

First day is always fun. Let's hope it stays like that.

i decided i'd tag along for a few days until the threads get boring. i started with this and now i dont wanna listen to any other band for a while probably

I hate acoustic music, any recs that'll hopefully change my mind?

???

You just hate all acoustic sounds? How is that even possible?

I just think it's dreadfully boring

One of us is being retarded here, and it depends on whether or not you're fucking with me.

You realize acoustic applies to instruments besides the guitar, right?

Whoops, I'll be more specific; I'm referring to music with acoustic guitar

Phew. Ok, so like, without singing?

Fahey comes to mind immediately:
>youtu.be/9nby7DoM8rE

Also George Stavis, although technically most of his stuff is on banjo:
>youtu.be/dBMeSNiKBIw

If you want singing, that opens up a whole 'nother realm of possibilities

I'm down for anything, so singing's fine.

That Fahey album seems pretty cool, I'll listen to it

youtube.com/watch?v=Ag_97QJh6HE

"itt: fuck you i like it"

pic related

fuck me daddy

This is a family friendly message board, please don't post things like that here.

lmao who else here /gay/ ?

i like animal collective

trap-a-holics mixtapes
4 loud bangs
d-d-d-d-dj victorious
trap-a-holics, real trap shit
this chicago nword
automatic assault rifles sound

damn son where'd you find this

songs that may appear shallow and hyperviolent on the surface but only mirror the underlying situation of those segregated american neighbourhoods

Is this one of those "memes" I heard so much about?

Just bought a Plantasia LP reissue in new condition for $43 shipped

was that a good price?

Check me out let me know what y'all think

otomo yoshihide or peter brotzmann concert? both are coming this week

Brotzmann is old. Japanese people live forever.

Neither, go see some actual musicians instead.

Gimme RECCs for warm sounding comfy albums with somewhat lo fi production if you have any boys, something like Stratosphere or Space Museum, I don't know if I'll survive this winter otherwise. Will write up something on it later.

idk check discogs :>

brotzmann 100%

itt: fuck me i like it

sth like this mayb
youtube.com/watch?v=8ZRes-AaalY&list=PLUm14RyqutJOvPnyPMj7S-ZfT3RCp37mP

youtube.com/watch?v=Usw7Tr6foXk

goddamn sounds right up the alley
thanks

will check this one out soon too