Can we all agree that Radiohead is the best pop act of all time?

Can we all agree that Radiohead is the best pop act of all time?

Other urls found in this thread:

officialcharts.com/artist/28161/radiohead/
scaruffi.com/vol6/radiohea.html
strawpoll.me/11554115
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

BITCH THINK AGAIN

>pop act
that implies they are mediocre lmao

>radiohead
>Pop
Pick one.

more like:
>radiohead & pop
>good
Pick one.

Every single normie I know enjoys Radiohead.

bait

Circumstantial evidence
non argument
Not relevant.

Truest fact ever

I don't know.
What I can say for sure though is that they're pretty good and fun to listen to. The image their albums and the band itself have is refined after the years and I feel like there is a certain, original atmosphere going on around them.

but some pop is good

you just need to listen to the good stuff like mac demarco

officialcharts.com/artist/28161/radiohead/

Fuck off already.

scaruffi.com/vol6/radiohea.html

scaruffi only describes them as pop which means they're pop since scaruffi is always right

>the chart ranking is what makes a genre
Wrong
What instrument does he play again?

I beg to differ

T. typical RH fan.

Idk. Are they linklater core? If not, no

not even close, kid

>but some pop is good

>you just need to listen to the good stuff like mac demarco

NICE BAIT

Quote me where I said I liked Radiohead

Oasis are shit

This is just false. I hang out with a fair amount of normies and they all actively don't like radiohead

I've liked radiohead since middleschool. They are definitely pop, and they are arguably one of the best pop acts of all time. Regardless of what any faggoty critic thinks, the band members themselves consider themselves to be a pop group.

Official Flowchart For Deciding If An Artist Is Pop Or Not:

Does their discography primarily contain classical/experimental recordings or traditional folk songs?
>Yes
Not pop
>No
Pop

That's the thing I don't get about musical elitism that concerns popular music specifically. It's all pop (albeit to different degrees), even if it treads into the "avant-garde". Chorus/Verse etc., traditional modern language pop lyricism, it's all pop

Every band or artist you like that isn't a classical or traditional folk musician is pop. That is fact.

[citation needed]

What the fuck citation do you need? It's common sense. Popular music is meant to be recorded and sold with the goal to either chart or generate revenue for the artist(s). Rock is pop, electronic music is pop, all of it is 100% pop no matter the level of experimentation inherent in a work/body of work

Radiohead is a pop band obviously, but most people on here will react angrily to that sentiment because they think pop = bad radio music. They're a rock band, which makes them a pop band by proxy. There's 0 wrong with that and they're one of the best and most successful pop bands of all time

>Popular music
Nice backpedaling

No one I know likes radiohead. And they are pretty much all normies

>citation
An education in music?
I hope this is a joke, and no one is this autistic

If that chart was exclusively for the genre known as pop, you would have an argument

I'm not that guy but you should stop posting because you're very very wrong and you're coming off as a retard because you don't know what youre talking about. He's basically right. He's a lot more right than you.

I guess you weren't aware that pop and popular music are different concepts?

How's your music degree going?

They're alternative rock.

One characteristic of pop is being accessible. Half the songs on a radiohead album is autistic screeching noises. When you say your friends listen to radiohead, one or two songs on an album don't count as LIKING radiohead.

I've never met a normie that liked Radiohead. They always say they're weird.

but some pop is good

you just need to listen to the good stuff like oingo boingo

Fuck off oasis is garbage

The side you take in this argument is based entirely on your definition of the word pop. This is just semantics

>People never use pop to refer to popular music

How's the degree in colored blocks going?

>entirely on your definition
Must subjectivity fags ruin everything?

This is between the correct academic definition, and what a user of Sup Forums thinks it might be.

If the purpose of a genre is to generally group music into certain categories of sound then this definition of pop is a shitty one.

>if people misuse a term, then I can be right!
Pop is a genre. Popular music is a part of Tagg's axiomatic triangle. They are different concepts.

I'm sorry you don't understand this.

>A music genre is a conventional category that identifies some pieces of music as belonging to a shared tradition or set of conventions

What's the correct acedemic definition of pop as a genre? It seems like that's exactly what people are arguing about in this thread, which is, as I said before, just semantics

The flowchart post we're talking about is obviously referring to popular music as pop. If you didn't catch that, you're probably autistic.

>The flowchart post we're talking about is obviously referring to popular music as pop.
Which is your mistake. Why would you post a flowchart when you don't understand Tagg's Triangle in the firstplace?

>Why would you post a flowchart when you don't understand Tagg's Triangle in the firstplace?
I didn't post it you sperg

Oh you didn't you read the thread before posting?

If OP is talking about Radiohead actually being a literal pop band (as in the genre) he's obviously wrong to some degree as they're more well known for their brand of experimental rock/electronic music (neither of which sonically resemble pop music, the genre) and he's factually wrong.

If OP is referring to the concept of pop or "popular" music then he's right in his definition

Whole argument is semantics

You keep bringing up the tagg diagram when understanding it holds no bearing on the subject at hand, you're just showing off the fact that you know what it is

strawpoll.me/11554115
Poll is "Do you like Radiohead's Music"
Wondering what Sup Forums thinks of Radiohead as a whole.

genre is not determined by listener base

>You keep bringing up the tagg diagram
Incorrect. These guys did Are you confused who you are talking to?

How new are you?

I wouldn't really call myself new really, I've been here since Summer.

liking creep doesn't make you a radiohead fan