SCIENCE-FICTION

SCIENCE-FICTION

Post a book of your choice with a short synopsis. The image must be a cover of the book.

Post images that are relevant. This can be anything.

I'll bump with dead astronauts if needs be.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=dl8WQ8_iQSk
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Lost Fleet Series

Captain Geary wakes up after being in cryo on an escape pod after his ship was destroyed at the start of a war. Turns out he's hailed as a hero and the fleet he's with is on it's way to destroy their enemies home system. It's a trap, fleet admiral is killed, and Geary has to take command. Over the course of the series Geary leads the fleet back home system by system, dodging and outsmarting the larger syndic fleet after them.

Shit's good if you love space battles, rather than slow lumbering slugging matches ships fly at each other in formation at 0.1 light speed, blasting each other for a moment before flying past each other. Does it's science well, great action, great characters, would recommend

An experiment goes wrong and a group of people are sent to a dimension where the God of the Old Testament is real and active.

>cheat on your wife, locusts for a week

I had to stop reading that. The simplistic writing and stupidity of anyone except the main characters was giving me headaches. It is a good setting and you're right about the science and battles though.

The Expanse series is pretty good. ( theres also a tv adaption which isn't too bad, but only one season so far)
My only foible with the series as a whole is the tendency for the main characters to break into manly tears

Superior aliens show up and take control of everything, for our own interest...

forgot synopsis...

Mining ship of societies misfits gets attacked by one of the superpowers of the setting. This kick starts a war while a detective searches for a missing rich girl. Then some weird shit goes down.

I'm almost done with the first book. Takes a good 50 pages to kick in, and if you can bypass the urine moment at the beginning, you'll have a blast.

It's about the future where books are illegal and firemen are people who carry out the task to burn all remaining books. It follows a fireman named Montag who meets a girl who sets him in a path of questioning the way of the world.

Very poetic and nicely written.

>Montag means Monday in German
>reference to Friday with Crusoe?
>one learns to read, the other too, I don't know

Zones of Thought series

really expanded my idea of what aliens could be.

Human spaceship crashlands on an alien planet in their medieval times. While an AI wakes up that is very hungry

Saved, sounds interesting.

I want the best First Contact novels out there.

Finally read that a few years ago. Brilliant book, and the prose was simple and effective.

C'mon guys, don't let this thread die.

wub wub

Is the Dead Space novel worth reading?

The humanity have reached the creation of robots with real knowledge and some with even feelings, but as the robots evolve, the humanity have let them take control of the world because th robots are now more clever tha a human

The book are just stories that are connected each other, in which the evolution of the robots is shown

now for the low brow side

After a radiation leak the lowest ranked member of the crew wakes up 3 million years into deep space and starts trying to get home.

The book series is a bit hard to understand without seeing the show, but it is very funny and the characters in it are awesome. The second book has two sequels which arent related.

>A Song of Ice and Fire
>by George RR Martin

if you read a handful of the (awesome) short stories that the author wrote, you'll quickly realize that ASOAIF goes much deeper than what a superficial look would make you dismiss it as 'Fantasy'

See links in the description here for EVERYTHING and/or individual stories + audio books.

youtube.com/watch?v=dl8WQ8_iQSk

The Thousand Worlds Part 1 (stories 1-16)
The Thousand Worlds Part 2 (stories 17-24)

1) The Hero
2) Men of Greywater Station
3) Bitterblooms
4) In the House of the Worm
5-11) Tuf Voyaging
Enjoy,
-V

So equilibrium?

>the humanity
>the French

The series is hilarious, I must confirm that.

Equilibrium definitely took from 451. Keep in mind 451 came out in the 1950's.

Sorry, i'm not so good at english

shill post detected GTFO!
you are not getting clicks and ad money from me

It's OK.

>humanity = humanity in general
>the = specific

>People are cool = people in general are cool
>The people are cool = some specific people are cool (the people in this place are cool, for instance)

>dismiss it as 'Fantasy'
It IS fantasy, and it IS sci-fi at the same time. Like Tolkien.

all books written about games, wich i read, were utter shit. it's just merchandise bullcrap

>Like Tolkien.

How is Tolkien SF in any way?

Some 40k novels are supposed to be true masterpieces, only ignored because they're about a game.

Robert Howard
Dragon's Egg
Story of life on the surface of a neutron star
Written by a scientist
Nicely technical
but also surprising since man observing the wandering neutron star initialize the civilization process (there different timescales on the neutron star and in the observing space ship)

Nice dubs, but it is *not* Fantasy... GRRM is very very precise and he is not conflating the two.
That's the whole point.

>the HBO show may not be SciFi after all, though

yeah, im not sure about what he means

i saw a shelf full of 40k books in the bookstore, but stayed the hell away from them for that very reason. wich would you recommend then?

Thanks user, i'll try

Humanity is created in labs using mother cells, with that, people is classified in groups and everyone is happy and healthy, the diseases doesn't exist anymore, people doesn´t work too hard, there are no books and if something goes wrong you just simply take a drug and return to your perfect life, but where has the sense of imagination and humanity gone?

That fucking picture... AHAHAHAHA

Why? Oh fucking why?

Everyone recommends the ones written by Dan something, especially the Horus Heresy.

isn't horus heresy like 40 books?

OP I'm digging the images of dead astronauts, they are top notch.

I think there's a novel called that.

Cool! I'll keep dumping my collection, then.

I was just thinking about Dan Abnett books and trying to think which one to recommend that doesn't need background reading

40K, space travel is only possible because reality is attached to another dimension of pure energy and emotion. In this dimension live 'Gods' who feed off the negative side of sentient life and their interactions with our dimension cause psychic and magic phenomenon. Inquisitors are people who hunt down the hidden threats in the human empire and the Imperial Guard is it's main force who fight back against aliens and renegade/evil humans.

>Inquisitor series - starts with Xenos
Details how Inquisitors work and this particular Inquisitors trip down the slippery slope of using the enemies power against itself.

>Gaunts Ghost series - starts with Gaunts Ghosts ( series of short stories)
based of the Sharpe Novels by Bernard Cornwell, tells the story of an elite but small regiment in the Imperial Guard and their struggle against incompetent leadership and their part in a crusade.

I don't recommend the Horus Heresy for newbies. Very confusing and the books are variable in quality

>magnificent pic related
9/10 i lol'd