Jazz

Jazz thread boys.
Share your favorite jazz songs and albums.

youtube.com/watch?v=T3uCygQd8Qs&index=2&list=FLS-KYFjaNT8IH-voTEpxzZA

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=S9Fbv8jyOFk
youtube.com/watch?v=ErEXk-Gxdwg
youtube.com/watch?v=AW_53Fxlv5Y
youtube.com/watch?v=R_f_mMJAezM
youtube.com/watch?v=0We9xzqcnAU
youtube.com/watch?v=knbmKDUYDXc
youtube.com/watch?v=3m3qOD-hhrQ
youtube.com/watch?v=SYS9OTNrd-4
youtube.com/watch?v=Hrr3dp7zRQY
youtube.com/watch?v=ZmAhafo1lv4
discogs.com/Moondog-Moondog/master/60428
youtube.com/watch?v=wc93LZSXc2M
youtube.com/shared?ci=YSUumkL0MZk
clyp.it/p3kisoti
youtu.be/pb8BiQR9RTI
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

youtube.com/watch?v=S9Fbv8jyOFk

youtube.com/watch?v=ErEXk-Gxdwg

both versions are gold

youtube.com/watch?v=AW_53Fxlv5Y

youtube.com/watch?v=R_f_mMJAezM

youtube.com/watch?v=0We9xzqcnAU

Unsurprisingly, the uncultured yet elitist community of Sup Forums doesn't care about jazz.

I'm still just getting into the genre. I know Herbie Hancock up to Manchild and Bitches Brew.

This one's a really good one:
youtube.com/watch?v=knbmKDUYDXc

Do /jazz/ threads even happen on Sup Forums anymore? I feel like almost everyone has just moved to /blindfold/.

That one's great. Headhunters has to be my favorite Herbie album, big fan of Chameleon and Watermelon Man.

youtube.com/watch?v=3m3qOD-hhrQ

You got good tastes, brother.
What do ya think of "Fat Albert Rotunda"?

Haven't listened to it as much as his other stuff, as usual another goldmine by Herbie though.

Ever listen to Deodato?

youtube.com/watch?v=SYS9OTNrd-4

anyone know of any good jazz violinists besides stephane grappelli?

I've been listening to a lot of jazz-inspired hip hop (and beats).

What should be my next step to get into jazz?

Jazz is poor man's classical

I'd recommend looking into jazz similar to what's sampled in the hiphop you listen to, post some examples and I might have a good match

literally no comparison

Madlib/Quasimoto, Doom and his instrumentals, Peanut Butter Wolf, Deltron 3030, Nujabes, Onra, Jinsang, and other stuff life that

for more lofi stuff like Doom and Quasimoto I'd reccomend some of the classics like Miles Davis, John Coltrane and Charlie Parker. It's hard to say for stuff like Nijabes, but hiphop in general seems to sample a lot of the older classics.

good taste btw

It's never been a very prominent instrument in jazz so you probably won't find much of worth. There were a few guys who went around with some of the big bands back in the 30s-50s but, off the top of my head, I can't think of a single notable soloist among those early guys bar Grappelli.
Jean-Luc Ponty, who did that Rite of Strings album with Al Di Meola, was a good soloist if you don't mind listening to a filthy fusion record.
The best places I've heard it used have been on "with strings" or orchestral type records by
Stan Kenton, Bird, Stan Getz, Chris Potter, Bill Evans, Clifford Brown, etc. It's usually just accompaniment but in my experience, it's usually really nice in those sort of settings.

I pretty much stopped posting here since /jazz/ was replaced by /blindfold/.

listen to badbadnotgood on a few tabs of acid and you will instantly want to get more into the genre

This.
Then listen to Kamasi Washington's The Epic on smack.

this.
do NOT listen to the epic sober

Thanks lads, i'll check it all out.

I listen to a lot of instrumental/lo fi hip hop on hash and it sounds absolutely amazing.

And when you've had a bit of time to digest those albums, travel to Baghdad and blow yourself up in a busy street while listening to Pharoah Sanders - Karma. I hear doing it during the yodeling sections is most effective but it should work regardless.

I mean I am brown so it's kind of in my blood. Thanks user

>I listen to a lot of instrumental/lo fi hip hop on hash and it sounds absolutely amazing.
acid is a complete new level yo
i listened to Ryo Fukui's "Scenery" when i was peaking and it changed my life.
i had no clue music could be so beautiful

fuck, that's a damn good album user

for those who haven't listened to it:
youtube.com/watch?v=Hrr3dp7zRQY

Early Summer is the best track imo

Yeah I think I listened to that a long while ago. I know where to buy some cid so i'll keep this in mind.

Alsp, i'm currently listening to Miles Davis' Kind of Blue.It's raining and i'm doing an assignment so it just feels really appropriate.

Hey guys, I wanted to make a beginners chart for people like Who are completely unfamiliar with the genre.
What do ye think?

The fact that most of his sets are only standards or covers kinda upsets me.

Please remove Whiplash OST, Naked City, Machine Gun.

Why?

Too abrasive for beginners. Whiplash is a bad movie, its soundtrack follows the same path. Add more classics, such as Idle Moments or Lanquidity.

add a good e.s.t. album and art blakey

Leroy Jenkins is the bomb

you should look up Erik Truffaz' mid 2000s stuff. Very up that alley. And on Blue Note.

This is an awful beginner's chart. No beginner should start with Sun Ra, Brotzmann, etc.

Moondog also isn't jazz.

You have a lot of memes and ones popular on here, but that means fuck all for introducing the genre.You have no Charlie Parker, no Art Blakey, no Dizzy Gillespie, no John Coltrane, no Freddie Hubbard, Elvin Jones, McCoy Tyner, a weird as FUCK Miles choice, no Jack DeJohnette, Charles Mingus, Herbie Hancock, Ornette Coleman, Charlie Haden, hell even soul jazz shit like Brother Jack McDuff or Lou Donaldson or jazz funk like the Jazz Crusaders or Donald Byrd

This is just a list of albums that get memed here and show up in Sup Forums youtube recs. Many very good albums, but not really a good intro chart

>Add more classics, such as Idle Moments or Lanquidity.
I thought they'd be too "boring" though.
Naked City and Machine Gun are quite abrasive but I've seen a lot of people who aren't jazz fans around Sup Forums really get into them. Keep in mind, this was made with the average Sup Forumstant in mind rather than the average person.
As for Whiplash, it's a pretty bad movie but it's gotten a lot of new people into jazz and "because I don't like it" isn't a good reason it's not a good entry point to the genre.
Art Blakey isn't cool enough and EST is an overrated record label.
If by memes, you mean: albums that generally appeal to the modern Sup Forumstant. Just cause you're a fogie traditionalist doesn't mean everyone else has to be one too and you're not going to get many people into jazz trying to approach the problem like you are.

I listen to and own more free jazz and experimental jazz than anyone in this thread bucko

you put Moondog in a jazz chart and you put Brotzmann and Sun Ra because you haven't actually bothered to listen to Ornette Coleman

stop

>he thinks Art Blakey isn't cool enough
youtube.com/watch?v=ZmAhafo1lv4

>I listen to and own more free jazz and experimental jazz than anyone in this thread bucko
Irrelevant and probably not true. If it'll make you feel any better, I don't actually like most of the albums on that chart. I can appreciate the power they have as tools for introducing Sup Forumstants to jazz though.
discogs.com/Moondog-Moondog/master/60428
Jazz classical hun
>Brotzmann and Sun Ra because you haven't actually bothered to listen to Ornette Coleman
Also not true. I put Sun Ra and Brotzmann on that chart because Ornette Coleman doesn't appeal to non-jazz listeners as well.
and EST isn't a record label. Humour is so easily lost over text.

I'm looking for something similar to Imperial Quartet (so more experimental or jazz rock-like).

Example: youtube.com/watch?v=wc93LZSXc2M

Any recommendations?

Just drop all the avant stuff and put classics/albums that have lots of sick percussion

bitches love percussion

I have 2 of his records, actually! (And I know his remix for Isobel by Bjork).

One of my favorite Mingus arrangements is Moanin, I like to call it "Controlled Chaos"

youtube.com/shared?ci=YSUumkL0MZk

clyp.it/p3kisoti

Will you guys listen to my free improv ;_;

Can someone recommend some jazz that's a lot closer to blues?

>Naked City and Machine Gun are quite abrasive but I've seen a lot of people who aren't jazz fans around Sup Forums really get into them. Keep in mind, this was made with the average Sup Forumstant in mind rather than the average person.

I was reading a biography of Coltrane by Lewis Porter and he was talking about the album Interstellar Space. He was bassiclly saying that a lot of people liked Coltrane's free-er stuff who might not like jazz because even though they have none of the jazz context they can here that it's unrelenting and honest. That type of music is trying to get at something, even if they don't succeed and even if everyone in the band doesn't exactly know what that thing is.

I thought it was a pretty interesting insight since so much free jazz gets posted by kids who have have never listened to a blue not record in their lives.

Who're some jazz douchebags?
There's this guy and most big band leaders were also pricks.

>forgets pic

Who is that?

Buddy Rich is the most famous example of a dick. Miles was at best rough around the edges and at his worst an objectively bad person. I don't know much about Art Blakey as a person, but he had a habit of getting the young blood that came through his band into heroin. Bird was another not so great dude, but it really depends on who you talk to and what event their thinking off. Mingus is another huge asshole. He was called the angry man of jazz for a good reason.

Those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head, but nearly all of the famous guys did at least some stuff that was pretty fucked up and bad at some point. Every might have thought they were really nice and sweet, but they still did bad stuff, so it gets hard to pass judgement.

Bill Frisell is always an interesting guitarist

>Who is that?
Nick LaRocca. He basically just made shit up about himself and claimed to be the originator of jazz. iirc he said blacks had nothing to do with the origin of jazz, don't remember where I heard that though. Maybe it was in Ken Burns' jazz documentary.

Wynton Marsalis

Stop recommending free jazz / avant-garde records as introductory albums.
Appreciating them without some knowledge of traditional jazz genres is difficult, most Sup Forumstants will just pretend to "get" them because that's what people do in here.

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE FUSION

is he the aphex twin of jazz?

what do you guys think of this?

Charts you would find in nfl films

This is bomb user

Charles Mingus, Miles Davis and Kamasi Washington

I don't know really anything about aphex twin and what aphex twin is to his genre (ambient? techno? just electronic?) but i feel like that analogy is way off.

I don't agree with all the people saying that you shouldn't recommend free jazz to beginners, but this is still a fucking terrible chart.

youtu.be/pb8BiQR9RTI

What piano trios should I listen to, or what solo pianist should I listen to, if I wanna learn jazz piano? It's really hard to listen to people like Bill Evans or Barry Harris play like a god on the piano, and it's hard to "absorb" it because it's so complicated. Are there any simpler stuff?

John Lewis
Andre Previn
Duke Ellington

I'd actually remove the Bebop album. The music is fuck all knows fantastic regardless of the anime, but it is even better if you've watched it.

bump

Been listening to Dizzy Gillespie's Afro for the last couple of weeks and it's amazing. Any recs for something similar?