/lang/ Language Learning

>What language are you learning?
>Share language learning experiences!
>Help people who want to learn a new language!
>Find people to train your language with!

>Language learning resources:
4chanint.wikia.com/wiki/The_Official_Sup Forums_How_to_Learn_A_Foreign_Language_Guide_Wiki

duolingo.com/
>Duolingo is a free language-learning platform that includes a language-learning website and app, as well as a digital language proficiency assessment exam. Duolingo offers all its language courses free of charge.

>Torrents with more resources than you'll ever need for 30+ languages.

drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9QDHej9UGAdcDhWVEllMzJBSEk#
>Google Drive folder with books for all kinds of languages.

fsi-languages.yojik.eu/languages/oldfsi/index.html
>Drill based courses with text and audio.The Foreign Service Institute (FSI) is the United States federal government's primary training institution for employees of the U.S. foreign affairs community.These courses are all in public domain and free to download.Site may go down sometimes but you can search for fsi on google and easily find a mirror.

memrise.com/
>Free resource to learn vocabulary, nice flash cards.

lingvist.com/
>It's kinda like Clozemaster in the sense that you get a sentence and have to fill in the missing word, also has nice statistics about your progress, grammar tips and more information about a word (noun gender, verb aspects for Russian, etc.)

ankisrs.net/
>A flash card program

clozemaster.com/languages
>Clozemaster is language learning gamification through mass exposure to vocabulary in context.Can be a great supplementary tool, not recommended for absolute beginners.

tatoeba.org/eng/
>Tatoeba is a collection of sentences and translations with over 300 hundred languages to chose from.

Daily Japanese Thread Last Thread

Other urls found in this thread:

babadum.com
youtube.com/watch?v=-vWlIvfQTck&t=9
youtube.com/watch?v=h8rIbitJAbQ
en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Wikibooks:Language_Learning_Difficulty_for_English_Speakers
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Have any of you guys used Babadum?

babadum.com

Thinking of learning Latin for fun, anyone did it here?

sto imparando l'italiano
e molto divertente
voglio visitar l'italia presto

right now i just translate the il filos and watch slow youtube videos

I tried to learn it on the internet since I never took it in school [what a mistake :( ] but It's very hard to learn. Very very hard. It's so interesting and cool though.

duolingo is a pain in the ass lads

is not french latin based?

why waste your time on that site. if you want to learn just use the language, listen to it, read, talk, etc

>French is germanic.

Well, without joking, that's why learning latin is very interesting for us (or you, or every romance speaker). You can see the origins of your language.
It doesn't mean it's easy to learn, though. Yes the vocabulary is easy af, but the grammar system is a nightmare.

>>French is germanic
>Nord
>Est
>Sud
>Ouest

Is it actually possible to become fluent by self-study? It sounds like a meme t b h.

taking classes is a meme

>English is Germanic
>North
>East
>South
>West

This

I don't think many classes teach you "how to learn a language" but rather "how to use it".

At least in the US, and my teachers were pretty great

How do you learn German guys?
What books can you recommend?
I will go there for 2nd degree in year and a half and want to learn the language beforehand.

I'm having this doubt too

>why waste your time on that site
Because I'm lazy, but its meaningless score counter keeps me coming back because years of playing video games have given me a pavlovian response to such things.

Anyone got any experience with Hindi?

Need resources for norwegian pls halp

Well it's meant to be one of the easiest non-latin alphabet languages to learn for an English speaker so it should probably be okay. Doesn't seem at all appealing though but each to his own

Classes are good because they put you in a safe environment to start practising the language.

>its meaningless score counter keeps me coming back because years of playing video games have given me a pavlovian response to such things.

Me too lad. I did Italian last year and got 150+ consecutive days, far longer than ive ever done before. Missed a day on accident (did it on tablet and it didnt register for whatever reason), lost my streak and ended up sputtering out and giving up on italian shortly after.

>tfw confident to say i'm a2 or even b1 in German
>tfw too nervous to talk to anybody
why is it so scary talking to people lads?

Start with Pimsleur. Like me.

Duolingo is way too easy once you get the basics down.

Learning turkish right now with duolingo. It's really quite a bit weirder than any of the other languages I tried which are all european languages and some russian.

Neden türkçe ögreniyorsun, isveçli? Biliyorum ki senin ülkende çok Suyire'denki araplar ve somalili var, ama türkler var mı?

Anyone learning two languages concurrently? I'm patient enough with Japanese not to rush, but I'm not sure I want to wait four years to learn another.

>but I'm not sure I want to wait four years to learn another.
this

someone help and tell us how you learnt multiple languages at once

does anyone know a half-decent course for learning slovenian?

here is the language of my people
youtube.com/watch?v=-vWlIvfQTck&t=9

youtube.com/watch?v=h8rIbitJAbQ

bump

I've become so bored that I've decided to take up Franco-Provençal to supplement my French learning. As far as I can tell, there are few, if any online resources for learning it, thus I'll never be able to speak it, but it's fun to fuck with others, especially the French. Plus it's cool to see the similarities between the two languages (for example: "Je vé lyé mariar" versus "Je vais lui marier".)

There's a torrent on thepiratebay.org
just search "Norwegian language pack"

b

I am really getting the feeling that once I get into another language past Japanese, I'm gonna fly through it, not having to learn 3 expansive alphabets

Recommendations for learning German?

I hate being "that guy " but are the torrents listed in OPs link safe?

I've had bad experiences with things posted on Sup Forums before...

If you're on piratebay, you should generally look at who uploaded it. A green marker next to their name generally means it's okay to torrent.

Otherwise, look at the amount of people who have downloaded it/any comments on the link itself.

Your feeling is correct, it happened with me. Although I landed up ditching Japanese to learn an easier language first

I'm considering learning Lithuanian, as my mother's side of the family is from that country. I'd like to be able to hold a basic conversation in Lithuanian with my grandmother before she dies (she'll be 90 in March).

My question to /lang/: as Lithuanian grammar is apparently more difficult to learn than Spanish, French, etc., how much time should I spend each day when first starting out? Would spending more than an hour a day help to solidify my handle on its grammar?

Source (lists Lithuanian as being a Category II language):
en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Wikibooks:Language_Learning_Difficulty_for_English_Speakers

Go to italki and pay someone to talk to you.

Then you wont feel any obligation because you are paying them. Language prostitution.

bump

I've finally gave up on russian. For the life of me i just cannot get my tongue around the language.

What methods are you using?Pimsleur may help if you haven't tried it already.