Hey Sup Forums

Hey Sup Forums
Two days ago i was given marshall lead plexi 67 100 watt amplifier, i want to buy a cabinet for it i haven't used tube amps before, could any of you explain ohms and the other bullshit , i dont know shit bout physics

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=c0-utJWIT5A
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I'll trade you that for my Marshall combo, it already has a speaker in it. Perfect for you.

No thanks !

and hes eatn your feet

cabs for guitars usually come 4ohm or 16ohm.

8ohm is also an option.

that guitar head is probably only 8 or 16, says on back with a switch to change between it. just buy a cab that matches the ohm rating you set your head to. the lower the better. i have a v4 that runs 2/4/8 ohm. i use the 4ohm option

So how does it work?
How do i find matching one

Any mesa or marshal 4x10 cab will have you covered.

Its a vintage head , which one would you personally match it up with

the back of the amp has a ohms selector for 4ohms, 8ohms and 16 ohms. Just make sure that whatever speaker cab you buy can match the ohms of your amp. Your amp has a very broad range so pretty much any cab you buy will be able to be used with your head. Just make sure you select the right ohms on your head and you're good.

What sound are you looking for and how much do you have to spend?

From blues to heavy metal

Nothing overly expensive

what size cabinet you looking for?

Best cabinet money can buy

The marshall 1960 ax was pretty much designed for that head but its pretty expensive. I would say go for any marshall 4x10 slant cab or mesa within your price range. Personally I use mesa's but you can't go wrong with either.

It's easy user. If you're using an 8 ohm cabinet then set the impedance selector to 8 ohms.

If you're using two 8 ohm cabs in parallel then the impedance is 4 ohms.

If you're using two 8 ohm cabs in parallel then the impedance is 16 ohms.

Always set the impedance selector to the right impedance. And don't ever use a tube amp with no speaker connected, unless you like the smell of electrical burning and the expense of a new output transformer.

tl;dr - read the fucking manual and learn how your gear works, prick

Whatever cab you go with, make sure it's loaded with celestion's.

greenbacks

/thread

>4google.org
>googlechan.org

a vintage marshall head like op's isn't going to have an impedance selector. based on this pic: i'd say output I is 16 ohms and output II is 8 ohms

fuck yeah. then you can sound like jimi

youtube.com/watch?v=c0-utJWIT5A

Except that it does

They Don't Think It Be Like It Is But It Do

This is now a guitar thread, post your gear and guitars!

Op here , no pics of cause its at guitar tech , some bridge related problems.
Got schecter omen 6 with invaders

just looked it up, and yeah, you're right, vintage plexi's do have impedance selectors. but the outputs are not labeled "OUTPUT I" and "OUTPUT II" like in op's pic. op, what amp specifically do you have? take a pic of the back panel?

Its modded plexi. Previous owner also added 1 more volume knob basically plexi 67 inside its just case thats modded

Heritage G12H to be exact. 55 or 75 depending on personal taste. No point in paying for a Chinese speaker, so Heritage is a must.

That being said, Weber, Eminence, Jensen and other manufacturers have made excellent speakers too, so Celestion isn't the holy grail of guitar speakers.

Here you go.

Not OP but he's got a "Marshall lead plexi 100watt '67"

you must match ohm to the cabinet or you will blow an output transformer. also if you have 2 cabe that are 16 ohm you dive by 2 and run the amp at 8. Same goes for two 8 ohm cabs you run the head at 4 ohm. you cannot run 2 4 ohm cabs unless you have a 2 ohm option on the amp which isnt very common on tube amps. Make sure you plug the head into the cab with a proper speaker cable and not a instrument cable. you might also want an attenuator for that beast.

you must match ohm to the cabinet or you will blow an output transformer. also if you have 2 cabs that are 16 ohm you divide by 2 and run the amp at 8. Same goes for two 8 ohm cabs you run the head at 4 ohm. you cannot run two 4 ohm cabs unless you have a 2 ohm option on the amp which isnt very common on tube amps. Make sure you plug the head into the cab with a proper speaker cable and not a instrument cable. you might also want an attenuator for that beast.

also never turn the amp on unless its hooked up to a speaker or you will blow transformer

Jesus , i wanted to try that , thanks for telling me , i have 0 experience with tube amps

no problem . Ive been playing for 11 years ive owned countless tube amps. once you go tube you never go back

Its got an attentuator modded in it see op pic 4th input

Whats overall value of this amp , also how would you rate it

amp is godly probably worth around 1500. pretty much the essence of rock

I was also told that turning it on and off is bit different, sorry for asking rookie questions , i am not that rich and cant afford to break anything.

you were literally just given what most players consider a dream amp. it could be worth more than 1500 depending on year and mods.

ya turn the power on first and make sure its on stand by mode then let the tube warm up for 30 sec to a minute then you can turn off the standby. reverse the process for shutting down. its not goin break or anything if you get it wrong its just to let the tubes warm up

today OP you made me very jealous.

Friend bought it from a pawn shop for 200$ (they were closing down) this amp has been in there since 80s

Thats absurd if its from the 80 it might need some capacitors replaced and maybe some new tubes. but thats well worth the enveestment. Also dont open it and go poking around the can hold voltages for a long long time than can kill you if not properly discharged before being worked on. you can change tubes though no problem other than having to get it biased by a pro or some one that knows what there doing

I just got the head , havent touched it , tubes seem alright

Even though friend showed a vid of him playing it on owners custom cab, would it work if any capacitors were damaged. I am very autistic as you can tell

yeah the tubes may look fine but there like light bulbs you wont know to you fire it up. tubes wear out gradually overtime if there played and the harder they are played the quicker they wear out.

Nice. I have the same head, but different housing.
Just make sure the ohm rating of the cab matches the ohm rating that the amp is set at. Usually amps are switchable (by a switch on the back) from 4, 8, and 16 ohms. Most cabs are rated at 8 ohms.
If your shit isn't matching, you'll blow your tubes out and possibly blow out your output transformer, which is kinda pricey to replace.

TL:DR - Make sure the ohm rating of your amp matches the ohm rating of the cab you're going to use.

If they are in ok condition, how much would they last

5150 my nigga

you should be able to find a used marshall cab on craigslist or what ever used local selling website you have in your area for pretty cheap. probably around 300 to 500 maybe a really beat up one for 250. dont underestimate good cab and speakers. a great amp like that can sound shit throuhg bad speakers and can sound heavenly through good ones. try to find something with greenbacks, g12t75, or v30's

Looks like output I is 16 ohms and output II is 8 ohms. So when you use a cab that's 8 ohms, use output II.

Eminence FTW.

tubes last along time they just start sounding not as good so even if there old and wore out they probably still work and are playable. I wouldn't gig them then they might fully blow out. ive played tubes from 1993 before and they were fine.

Would replacing tubes change sound too much, also what tubes should be compatible with this amp also if they change sound too much what tubes would be a good replacement

i have eminence in my cab right now. there great so are warehouse guitar speakers. there just not really found in stock cabs that can be found on craigslist

Loved that thing. Insanely loud. So much gain. Sold it though T_T

Usually older Marshalls like that use EL34 tubes. MAKE SURE YOU REPLACE THE TUBES WITH THE SAME TYPE. Otherwise your shit will be fucked. Newer tubes may color the sound a little bit / make it louder. But over all it won't change the sound of the amp too much.

Nice rig anyway!

Is that a mesa boogie roadster poking out from behind your desk? Also very nice set up dude.

that setup looks sexy as fuck dude!

replacing the tubes would just liven up the sound they start to sound dull with heavy use. for a bedroom player i wouldn't change them for years like 5 or more. there are probably el34 in there for power tubes, possibly 6550 . and for pre amp tubes im sure 12ax7

A friend has a Redcoat in his Engl Thunder and it sounds awesome. My personal experience is limited to the Celestion in my Laney.

Thanks! This ended up being my final rig, got too lazy hauling all that gear around to shows. Kept the Sunn 2x15 for some balls...

I had the red coats loaded into my Emperor cab. 75 watt, loved them. Hella loud! See

ive played the governor, manowar, v12's and texas heats and an eminence greenback clone is my current speaker. warehouse speakers are probably my fave though

Also this amp has a little issue with knobs after they do a full turn they keep rotating , aka they are not solid

the nuts around them might just need to be tighten pull them off and see if there loose

Heard great things about Warehouse. My tech loves them. Maybe one day I'll get them thrown into a cab.

Elaborate? Nuts?

if you pull off the knobs (they may have set screws) there will be nuts on them that hold them in place. since you amp is probably point to point the potentiometers will continue to spin if loose

since you a new tube amp owner i would tech it to a local tech and have them go through it they will get it all squared away proper. its an amazing amp and well worth it

The cup of coffee rule. Your cab is the cup that holds your coffee. the head is the pot full of coffee that you are going to fill your cup up with. If you have a cup that can only take 4 ohm (that is your cab) then you csn fill it up with a cup of coffee that is 4 ohm, but not 8 ohm, or 16 ohm, or else you will put too much coffee in your cup, and spill. Spill in this case means you just fucked up your amp. Hope that makes sense, but seriously, look up info online and youtube because those types of amps do not fuck around, and you could kill your self if you ever open it up and try to tinker with it without knowing what the fuck you are going.

that coffee thing is confusing

Op here , actually good explanation thanks man , you managed to explain something to an autistic guy like me!