Any one play Magic??? Wanna teach me how to be good?

Any one play Magic??? Wanna teach me how to be good?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/david-mcdarbys-scion-of-the-ur-dragon/
magic.wizards.com/en/game-info/products/card-set-archive/premium-deck-series-slivers
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Step 1: Burn all lands
Step 2: Only run snow lands
Step 3: Run no creatures
Step 4: Quit fucking around
Step 5: Sell snow lands
Step 6: Buy premade deck
Step 7: Get mugged
Step 8: Loose all your cards
Step 9: Kill yourself

Lol it takes more than an explanation to be good magic man (magicfag here) but I can try

Always trade. That's the best tip

Im trying to get into it and i get how its played but when i watch pros play (Thats how i usually learn how to play a new game) i just get lost. They have decks like Red goggles or G/w token i have no clue what any of those mean

Assuming OP is serious, we need to know what format they want to play.

Commander and Modern are two very different things, and advice for one wouldn't work for the other.

I think stranded and Modern. OP here

Are you joking? Because ive never heard of snow lands

got a card right here. works very well

In that case

Duplicates

All the duplicates.

Seriously, if you can- make sure you can get multiples of cards that work well.

And if it's a high mana cost, forget it.

Dont spider man me bitch i just wanna learn

Start with your favorite color. Find a rare of that color, and build your deck around that cards mechanic.

Go to mtg goldfish, find a budget deck. Fuck people's shit. I personally recommend zombie hunt or an infection deck. Try stuff in cockatrace.
Also isochron scepter

Standard and Modern are also really fucking different

Get the basics down, how to play, how turns and stack works, watch and listen to pros, then play for yourself

Newfag.

Wow, how old are you 19?

Coldsnap was the set they were in

I'm pretty sure

So just 4 of each card or close (Thats the max pre deck right?) I dont really undrstand commander and it doesnt seem fun unless it is and you can give me or info on it

Go to your local game store and play. You are going to get fucked, but that's how you learn.
Oh, and be ready to spend money.

Old concept, still basic lands, but they produce "snow" mana which is used for certain snow cards

Go to /tg/, the board specific to Tabletop games

Commander is what I play

You build slower decks that focus around 1 legendary creature. No duplicates, so you're more focused on multiple cards that make good synergy. A good Commander play group can make for some very interesting games.

Commander is honestly the most casual friendly as well as a wonderful extension that magic players can go through.

I have 2 Modern Decks and 3 Commander Decks, have spent much less on the commander decks but they can all win fairly easily

still trying

Holy shit an actual constructive magic thread in /b?

Go there and post a polite, humble thread asking for good learning tools for a beginner.

Wizards of the Coast, the publisher (?) Of the game says to "buy an intro deck or play MTG Duels to learn what colors and plsystyles you like best."

This, a playgroup creates a lot of wonderful, or awful, memories, commander especially considering how one of your 100 interacts with one of their 100

Buy a budget deck that appeals to you from a list on mtggoldfish and then just go play it. ask the people that beat you what you could do better or what mistakes you made. don't do those things next time.

Fuck commander.

Stick with standard for now.
Learn the set, homie. Don't try to be pro, its not going to happen just yet. Just pick a good color, and a good card too work around, like I said. Go too your local b&m. Make friends, profit from exp.

buy a starter deck and go over the rules. buy a deck builder or packs. buy a 20 sided die. buy deck boxes and buy lots of sleeves.
ultra pro makes quality cheep deck boxes and I prefer their sleeves because they're a little rugged on the back which helps with cutting decks. don't buy sleek sleeves. get cardboard boxes and a card binder.

Build a mono white banding deck.

Banding was the greatest ability printed in magic. It was so powerful that only one set ever used it. The best part is that cards for banding are all rather cheap so you can make a sleeper banding deck that will win at every FNM.

Be rich and learn how to cheat while you shuffle

I dont have any friends that play so I feel as though Modern and stranded would be the best because I probably would only play at FNM which i haven't been to yet. How does FNM work and is it fun

how could you otherwise build the glorious edh commander deck with just card names starting with 'S'?
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/david-mcdarbys-scion-of-the-ur-dragon/

No kidding. I still wake up in cold sweats thinking about that fucking evil Sharuum deck this one guy runs.

You'd be surprised at how many people secretely playm just start talking about it with randoms.

Build Modern Burn

gave it my best. later nerds

Im glad to see that there is such a response to a MTG thread i thought id post this and everyone would just call me a nerd or some shit XD

you can have a maximum of 4 cards per deck. I prefer standard. I like the black and green delirium deck and the red and black madness vampire deck.

The stigma..

Its not so nerdy once you passed the dnd aspect of it. It turns into a gambling game of cheese. It's fun for everybody tbh.

The MTG Community is actually pretty big and growing. Living in Germany I wish I could go to a Grand Prix or SCG Open or something. But that's illegal here unfortunately. I still play with a group of firends almost every weekend.

Both good choices. SOI had some very interesting abilities this set.

I'm still waiting for that legendary werewolf

well if you show up at my fnm which has about 12-20 modern players every week with a budget deck and half a brain you can likely go 1-3 as some kid with a standard deck will be your opponent round 4. but for me I just chill and talk to the people there mostly about magic or how wizards is screwing us over. I'm never too concerned about how well I do, as at a small tournament like that, who cares if my junk company went 4-0, when i could have only played one other top tier deck. Just relax and have fun

Fun unless you're being mana screwed against a slow sphinx's tutelage mill combo.

its going to suck and you'll be all like this is worse than huntmaster and mayor!!!

I personally run a modern leviathon blue weenie combo.
Epic wins, but trash when confronted by infect or goblin decks. Its just not fast enough to CS all of the spells.

No clue what that means XD but okay hahah Thats still something i haven't gotten yet. Theres all these decks with funky names but i dont get why there called that

Sharuum combo-control destroys my concept of Esper, and I'm an Esper-fag.
Worst deck I ever played against 1v1 was a Seton, Druid Tribal.

huntmaster was insane tho

run slivers

>>Yisan garanteed T3 kill
>>Slower

It means that you're fucked and they be putting all your cards into the grave yard. Mill is a type of deck that does that

Deck types. Goggles refers to a card. G/w is green/white.

Remember WUBRG. White blue black red green. U is blue.

Ice Age came wayyyyyyy before Coldsnap.

Seconded.

Those things are fucking op

Basically when you're mana screwed you have no mana to play anything

Sphinx's tutelage is a card that slowly sucks your deck dry whenever your opponent draws.

It's a match made in hell.

Start slow just play at your local gaming store and check out forums other than that how you get good at theory is by playing in draft events because it forces you to change how you play.

my friend had a all foil slivers deck. I think it was pre built but he tore my asshole to pieces every time.

well non competetive commander is slower. And if you're just starting out you'll probably not invest so much money into it

Yeah, that was the Premium Deck Series

what you want to do is to organize your cards by color, and the secret to making a good deck is to throw that shit in the garbage and get yourself a god damned social life.

R.I.P. extended.

There's rumors they might be coming back in Eldritch Moon

Everyone seems to think Emrakul, Marit Lage, or Slivers

magic.wizards.com/en/game-info/products/card-set-archive/premium-deck-series-slivers
this was it

no no no no no, commander is a money whore, worse than all the other formats in that regard

Since you're just beginning, start in modern, fewer cards and less variety in the decks.
Also, something to note, when people talk about decks, the names of decks usually go
[Color/Color Combination name] + [Theme/Key Card]
Red Goggles is a mono red deck utilizing Pyromancer's Goggles as a way to gain more value from instants and sorceries

G/w tokens is a token based strategy of attempting to flood the board with token creatures

This nigger knows what's up

Pro tip: read the cards

Non-competitive MTG sucks.
Waiting 10 turns to play dragons is just boring.
This game is meant for interaction, not throwing 10/10 flyers at your opponent's face after 30 minutes of "land-go"

Slivers are the shit.

Have a great social life and i work so not being a bum/nerd just trying to pick up a hobby

Sliver EDH is hell.

Complete hell.

Fuck slivers.

>Buy 20 boosters
>Buy 20 lands of each color
>Create a tri-color deck with 15 creatures, 15 spells, 30 lands
>Play legacy mode with random fellas in your local store

Sometimes you have to fly before you can walk, some other times you have to shit before you can eat

not in all matchups. like most decks slivers have weaknesses. It's actually not that difficult to deal with them, if you don't play a completely non-interactive mono green stompy deck (which I used to build all the time) or something...

slivers are shit

if you go tribal elves or fish

Also Phyrexians.

If the Kaladesh set doesn't have riggers and contraptions I'm gonna be mad. Perfect place for them.

Ice Age you noob.

Goblins.

Always go goblin tribal.

I meant non-competetive as in non-meta

I second this Goblins all the way

That's what I'm hoping.

Steamflogger Boss must become my deck winner.

well pick a good one you faggot

Play blue cards or you're a stupid nigger

Don't let assholes get you down.
FNM is a pretty fun environment, sure there are some nerd, neckbearded, weeaboo losers with no future, but most of us are pretty chill.
College students in engineering, accountancy, and nursing, as well as a security guard, an HP warehouse manager, and a caretaker are all part of my playgroup and we're not entirely social awkward, just awkward enough to say nigger in public with no care in the world

He needs to get banned in standard for being too good. That's how much I want them to make riggers and contraptions.

why the fuck is it illegal? that's bizarre...

marit lage please! I just love everything about the card the flavor of unleashing this giant thing out of a frozen lake plus the amazing artwork.

A drake deck can be good if you know what you are doing but I prefer my saproling deck.

Yes, play blue.

But only play blue if you're running Arcum Dagsson artifacts.

Play a lot. That is the best way to be good.

Not to mention Thing In The Ice was basically a baby Marit

Let's hope that was foreshadowing

Don't be a child, learn to play before trying to build your own deck.