/trad/

Why do you not listen to any non-western music, Sup Forums? Yes, western pop music produced in other countries is still western pop music, including J-pop, K-pop, what have you.

Other urls found in this thread:

picosong.com/J7fn/
youtube.com/watch?v=ngCK0mwnx5c
youtube.com/watch?v=Ff5IYXby3Z4
youtube.com/watch?v=BQmjWIYYI2c
youtube.com/watch?v=uNM_lZickGQ
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Beat_Records
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Kashmir is one of my favorite Zeppelin tunes, does that count?

Yes, of course.

I've heard the Beatles songs George Harrison wrote

post links already

What is dub / reggae?

Its a progression of mento so thats /trad/, no?

Links to what?

Sort of, ish, yeah?

I like Persian folk music, but that's about it 2bh.

picosong.com/J7fn/

youtube.com/watch?v=ngCK0mwnx5c
Does this count?

reggae didnt directly come from mento

ska developed mostly from american r&b records that were played at soundsystems in the late 50s

It has elements of mento / calypso / nyabinghi / etc. but it's still realized within the confines of a western pop structure. Particularly, New Orleans R&B that was being transmitted to the US bases in Jamaica

youtube.com/watch?v=Ff5IYXby3Z4

It was a combination of both, not strictly R&B just by Jamaicans

youtube.com/watch?v=BQmjWIYYI2c

just got the 10" version of this LP for $18

This seems largely correct, according to OxMu
>The origins of reggae are found in MENTO, Jamaica's Cuban-inflected calypso music that dates from the late 19th century. Mento was a celebratory, rural folk form that served its largely rural audience as dance music and an alternative to the hymns and adapted chanteys of local church singing. As the Jamaican population began to shift in the late 1950s, urban migration and the social changes that accompanied industrialization created a demand for a faster, electrified dance music. In the capital of Kingston and in the larger island towns, entrepreneurs set up mobile sound systems to bring in the powerful rhythm and blues of American stars like Fats Domino and Louis Jordan. By 1959, as rhythm and blues declined under the commercial shock wave of rock and roll, local record producers sought a new dance music. Absorbing the instrumentation of the swing bands and the pulse of rhythm and blues, infused with bass-driven mento, Jamaican musicians developed a native rhythm called SKA. This used a 4/4 shuffle rhythm close to classic rhythm and blues, with an afterbeat originally played on piano, whose sound the term sought to approximate. In these ensembles, horns and reeds emphasize the guitar's chordal beat, and the trombone came to dominate solo sections after the Jamaican virtuoso Don Drummond rose to prominence around 1960, playing with the leading band, the Skatalites. In the early 1960s, Ska songs like Oh Carolina captivated Jamaica and helped launch a proud post-independence cultural identity, while the style also followed a generation of Jamaicans to England, where the music was known as bluebeat.

Neat-oh. I tend to buy my folk records from second-hand stores for about 50c each.

Remember that one beatle song with the sitar

good shit!

true also mento kind of meshed with ska in the early days

youtube.com/watch?v=uNM_lZickGQ

the one store near my house has horrible prices i need to go downtown or shop in New York or something

The one and only music store that has records where I live only stocks pop music, so I really can't buy new unless I pay for shipping and fuck that, I'm a poor student.

Cool, new ''genre'' to check out.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Beat_Records

I wonder what middle eastern music would've looked like today if the Islamic conquests had never taken place.

non-western music ya dingus

There's literally 200-ish countries to choose from, and countless ethnic groups.

Probably exactly like Western Music since Anglo cultural imperialism would have dominated.

Tuvan & Mongol throat singing is GOAT

I always feel guilty when I go to a dub night, feels like I'm appropriating a people's religion so I can take drugs and act like a hedonist.

In other news, I've been getting into Gnawa lots recently. Criminally underrated as something mostly seen as tourist bait.

>tfw you will never travel to southeast asian countries collecting countless music cassettes from local shops

i want to die

Hampus are you gonna watch the Kobra episode on the synthesizer-boom of Cape Verde next week din jävla svenne?

Just go, you can like on less than $5 a day

Nah, doubt it, considering how many other former colonies are not dominated by western cultures.

Is it on SVT play?

Costs like €2000 just for the flight there, though. I was looking into taking a train and stopping at a bunch of places along the way, but that's even more expensive.

In a week or so it'll be up there

I might, then!

There seems to be quite an entertaining backstory to it all, even if I personally don't enjoy the music too much.

Haven't listened to any music like that at all, but might be interesting.