How did they do stuff like this back in the day without CNC machines?

how did they do stuff like this back in the day without CNC machines?

>pic related

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=pvR8eZJpDhk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

hand tools obv

time machine

Damn I honestly have no idea, maybe forged sections in a mould and then torch welded them together?

they used math

and probably a shaper

2D printer?

modern machining is just quicker and more accurate, The rudiments remain the same though, large parts like in the pic were were cast with great skill and come out more or less ready for use. They really knew their shit back then and did all by hand and eye, and maths of course.

there was machining before cnc i myself still do a lot of work by hand controls

People actually had skills to work with their hands back then and the patience and the intelligence to do math longhand. Basically they weren't spoiled cunts and they knew how to get shit done.

aaah good ole herringbone ...

they used other machines obviously...

youtube.com/watch?v=pvR8eZJpDhk

do people think we needed cnc to work huge machines?

we have had machine cutters like lath and mills for over a 100 years and cnc for less than 40

Lol pic looks photoshopped

>i myself

why wouldn't you just write "I"?

because english is not my first language and i thought that was a common fraise

It is a common phrase, other user is just being a cunt.

they used jigs and indexing tables to accurately place the cuts, the depth of cut , angles, etc.
Also, there was an army of Tool and Die makers, a very skilled profession that is a rare commodity any more. My dad was a manufacturing engineer for a company that did very complex machining work like that pictured.
And- there are a large department of engineers , most had specialties like machining, heat treating, forging,etc. That is what the large part of the midwest of the USA used to be like ( and other parts of the country, too ) A LOT of this is gone forever.

we can learn again can't we?

Nope, everyone's too lazy.

>we can't learn again, can we?

FIFY

The reason that the navy finally retired the New Jersey class battleships for good was that it was just too expensive to maintain a huge shop for machining and repairing huge gears like that, and there was no privately owned company in the US that could do it without buying tons of expensive machinery just to cut those giant gears and other parts used in warships built in the early 1940s.

you win the interweb (for the last 10 minutes anyway)

I think you are right. too lazy. this work was hard work done in loud factories and took brains and brawn. My dad served a 4 year apprenticeship in which he did every dirty, hard, tough job that there was in an un-automated huge rust belt metal working and machining factory. At the risk of sounding like a crotchety old man ( I am not ) , I don;t think one on 1000 young men or women would chose it. I worked in that same factory for summers between college years- I had so much machine oil on me, I had to take off my clothes in the driveway before I was allowed to go in the house when I came home. It was hard work and I am pretty sure most people would do something else.

>how did they do stuff like this back in the day without CNC machines?
I'm not gonna say it was definitely aliens
but it was definitely aliens

horse-fucking-shit

The reason is the same as why we don't fly around in biplanes nor dirigibles anymore = obsolescence

The type of yards that built the Joisie are building today's ships

/retard

I recall going to work one night ( Cleveland, early 70s ) and there was a specialty gear maker who made stuff just like this-it was summer and they have the factory dock doors opened out to the street with a huge 15' gear being worked on. Say what you want, I was in awe of the scale , the skill, the weight of it and the dedicated people who built things like this.
for better or worse, that time has passed and in not coming back.

we dont need gears that big anymore.

we can create the same amount of torque out of much more compact packages today

Finally- the USA was the world leader in making stuff like this every day of the week. Germany was very competive too-but this is one small reason that most people in the country were proud to be Americans- because we could do so many things the rest of world had not yet figured out. In the early 80s, TRW corp figured out how to grow a jet engine fan blade from a single crystal, a huge innovation at the time. In China, they were carving them out by hand with a hammer and chisel. Fact.

Witchcraft, a spell, would be cast.

well, you might if you maintain a power plant of shipping lane lock or ocean frieghter etc. but for sure, not anywhere as much as in the past