/classical/

Nostalgia edition

Post compositions which evoke a feeling of nostalgia in you.

>inb4 how do I into classical?
>General Folder #1. Renaissance up to 20th century/modern classical. Also contains a folder of live recordings/recitals by some outstanding performers.
mega.co.nz/#F!mMYGhBgY!Ee_a6DJvLJRGej-9GBqi0A
>General Folder #2. Mostly Romantic up to 20th century/modern, but also includes recordings of music by Bach, Mozart and others.
mega.co.nz/#F!lIh3GRpY!piUs-QdhZACFt2hGtX39Rw
>General Folder #3. Mostly 20th century/modern with other assorted bits and pieces.
mega.co.nz/#F!Y8pXlJ7L!RzSeyGemu6QdvYzlfKs67w
>General Folder #4. Renaissance up to early/mid-20th century. Also contains a folder of Scarlatti sonate and another live recording/recital folder.
mega.co.nz/#F!kMpkFSzL!diCUavpSn9B-pr-MfKnKdA
>General Folder #5. Renaissance up to late 19th century.
mega.co.nz/#F!ekBFiCLD!spgz8Ij5G0SRH2JjXpnjLg
>General Folder #6. Very eclectic mix.
mega.co.nz/#F!O8pj1ZiL!mAfQOneAAMlDlrgkqvzfEg
>Renaissance Folder #1. Mass settings.
mega.co.nz/#F!ygImCRjS!1C9L77tCcZGQRF6UVXa-dA
>Renaissance Folder #2. Motets and madrigals (plus Leiden choirbooks).
mega.co.nz/#F!il5yBShJ!WPT0v8GwCAFdOaTYOLDA1g
>Debussy. There is an accompanying chart, available on request.
mega.co.nz/#F!DdJWUBBK!BeGdGaiAqdLy9SBZjCHjCw
>Opera Folder. Contains recorded video productions of about 10 well-known operas, with a bias towards late Romantic.
mega.co.nz/#F!4EVlnJrB!PRjPFC0vB2UT1vrBHAlHlw
>Crudblud stuff
crudblud.sjm.so/

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/ecdvrMwHW78?t=202
youtube.com/watch?v=sUcyvuGqOXU
youtube.com/watch?v=A6DJUzB7DBE
youtube.com/watch?v=rDQD765iAYg
youtube.com/watch?v=W_tSUTJ2lpg
youtube.com/watch?v=L7XbL28-IiU
youtube.com/watch?v=J1WHNcnHo4A
youtube.com/watch?v=A-apSehviiQ
youtube.com/watch?v=s-diVJD0fIo
youtube.com/watch?v=zHVSWRgCVrs
youtube.com/watch?v=y2rt5sPHc98
youtube.com/watch?v=x8j1x3pTOyo
youtube.com/watch?v=-hSoVLQ3SBc
youtube.com/watch?v=kUur8Fhmeg0
pastebin.com/rxDJikA5
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLcGkkXtask_fpbK9YXSzlJC4f0nGms1mI
youtube.com/watch?v=4_P2gWG-VpE
youtube.com/watch?v=GGAEpnUSUEg
youtube.com/watch?v=vBIcCXQLG2U
youtube.com/watch?v=oPFHEim8ZcA
youtube.com/watch?v=V1PzMs74-xg
youtube.com/watch?v=ydudrOGACTY
youtube.com/watch?v=Pj8hZDTQrkw
youtube.com/watch?v=w1bza_bRFLo
youtube.com/watch?v=JIPY6CmrywA
youtube.com/watch?v=jnWvbL6a4Mk
youtube.com/watch?v=T8_cLqMhZL4
youtu.be/S-Xm7s9eGxU
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

This one always does me in.

youtu.be/ecdvrMwHW78?t=202

Hey /classical/, what are some of the better recordings of Passio secundum Johannem?

Suzuki. Don't fall for the Herreweghe meme

Herr, Herr, unser Herrscher.

richter
not HIP but more dramatic
youtube.com/watch?v=sUcyvuGqOXU

Is music towards the end of the Common Practice Period objectively better than everything in the earlier stage? Fuck look at those complex harmonies and layers.

Yep. Wagner saved music.

fptmiu

wtf i love Reich now

youtube.com/watch?v=A6DJUzB7DBE

Wonder if Trump is actually interested in his music, or if that's just something the ghostwriter threw in (leaning towards the latter)

He likes opera too, but I don't know if that's typical rich-guy stuff, or if he's actually into the music.

Imagine the memes if he said he liked Wagner.

I bet he likes Mozart, the pleb.

Great taste. For the Mattheus Passion would you recommend Suzuki as well? Or is there a better one?

why is russian music so catchy?

youtube.com/watch?v=rDQD765iAYg

youtube.com/watch?v=W_tSUTJ2lpg

youtube.com/watch?v=L7XbL28-IiU

Bump.

one last bump before bed

Any preferred recordings of I Puritani? I'm leaning towards something with Gedda because I heard his high F in Credeasi and I think it's probably the best going.

Depends what you want really. There's Gardiner, Suzuki and Harnoncourt for HIP stuff. Then there's Butt for OVPP HIP. And then there's Klemperer for a roaring good time

Let's get some activity in here.

What are some arrangements that have either enhanced or ruined a piece that you love?

Milstein did a violin version of a Chopin nocturne that I prefer over solo piano.

post more comfy music like this

youtube.com/watch?v=J1WHNcnHo4A

I think Trump has some good political ideas but he does not understand high culture. He probably does genuinely enjoy Steve Reich but Reich isn't really anything too complex or esoteric where Classical is involved. Reich is also an easily recognizable name to Plebs.

newfag here, I like the four seasons. What other baroque (no opera) would you reccomend

Zelenka is /ourguy/

tfw i thought zelenka was still relatively obscure

There are some live recordings in yt that are nicer
For example
>youtube.com/watch?v=A-apSehviiQ

That's the B Minor you spoon

Although thanks for posting cause it reminded me of singing the Easter oratorio in that church earlier this year.

Bach, Biber, Telemann, Paganini
youtube.com/watch?v=s-diVJD0fIo
youtube.com/watch?v=zHVSWRgCVrs
youtube.com/watch?v=y2rt5sPHc98
youtube.com/watch?v=x8j1x3pTOyo

Herreweghe's st matthew is 10/10

>Herreweghe
>10/10
Pick 1

youtube.com/watch?v=-hSoVLQ3SBc

Pleb

Petzold is overrated.

>Paganini
>baroque

u wot m8

>being a rivet counter

what's /classical/ general thoughts on Stravinsky?

based

man is definitely one of the great musical talents of all time

In Stravinsky, the desire of the adolescent is ever stubbornly at work; it is the struggle of the youth to become a valid, proven classicist - not a mere modernist - whose substance is consumed in the controversy of artistic part lines; and who is soon forgotten. It would be impossible to overlook the naive aspect present in such a manner of reaction and the impotence of hopes associated with it for no artist can exercise an influence upon that which survives in the aesthetic realm.

guys i have an audition for a school in like two days

what the fuck do i do im so fucking nervous i wont make it, its my second time trying

Stravinsky the Russian is amazing

Stravinsky the trend follower is complete shite

Are you a prepubescent boy?

What is your instrument and what do you think we're going to be able to tell you that will be of any use?

>tfw at last I understood the rite of spring
How could I be so deaf.

No, I am a 22 year old baritone. I was a prepubescent boy once though.

How is the church and did being there felt special knowing its history?

Is "what are some good organ works" the most asked question by newcomers? Also what are some good organ works?

Yeah it was quite special. Leipzig seemed like a great place from what I saw of it, but the area around the Thomaskirche is particularly nice.

As far as churches go it's not the most ornate (because Lutheran) but the ceiling is quite spectacular. And being able to see Bach's grave was quite something too.

The organs are both from a while after Bach though (the older one was deemed to "Romantic" for Bach's music so they built another one which was more suited) which is a bit of a shame.

And the Easter Oratorio is exceptional too, the final chorus with baroque orchestra was incredible.

Pärt
youtube.com/watch?v=kUur8Fhmeg0

Here's a list of some of my favourites.
pastebin.com/rxDJikA5

Listen to Bach

My favourite piece of music is The Art of Fugue performed on piano by Glenn Gould.

How pleb am I?

its not mozart so maximum pleb

this Tbh

>Gould
Very.

PETZOLD
E
T
Z
O
L
D
Well at least he didn't go with Glass

Monteverdi('s vespers).

I want to into classical but the 'inb4 how do I into classical' is ironically confusing and not that helpful in telling me where I should start.

Any suggestions?

Odd numbered Beethoven symphonies in reverse order.

Listen to Mozart.

youtube.com/playlist?list=PLcGkkXtask_fpbK9YXSzlJC4f0nGms1mI

listen to all of that

I'm still a newfag to classical, but what's wrong with Glass? I remember listening to Koyaanisqatsi and liking it a lot.

It's like Reich except not even rhythmically interesting.

>Piano
Very

I've listened extensively to Walcha's and Leonhardt's performances and I didn't like them as much as the Gould's one. Why is my opinion is wrong to you guys?

Mozart bores me to death unless I'm playing it on piano.

gould is bad because he hums. piano is bad because its not organ and can't sustain long pedal notes. Musica Antiqua Koln is the definitive recording, good mixture of instrumentation, solo keyboard, duo keyboard, strings for sustain. Excellent and inspired interpretation.

piano

i dont fucking know man its just fucking nerve wrecking

>definitive recording
>chamber performance of a keyboard work
>Gould's humming a bigger problem than his performing
Fuck off poly.

>a keyboard work

New to classical music. I enjoy Philip Glass's "Pruit Igoe" immensely. Is there a composition that's similar to this?

>Public performance radically changes the way music is heard and, indeed, the way it is played. We can see how works can become misunderstood through the conviction that all music is public by the idiotic program notes that now inevitably accompany almost any performance of Bach’s Art of Fugue, as a whole or in part, and perpetuate the early twentieth- century legend that this work is abstract thought, written for no specified instruments. This is non-sense, as it was intended like another educational work, the Well- Tempered Klavier, for two hands at a keyboard (this was well understood throughout the nineteenth century)— what keyboard was, indeed, not spelled out for either collection because they are works intended to be played at home on whatever keyboard you owned— clavichord, harpsichord, small portable organ or early pianoforte (in his last years Bach was a supporter of silbermann’s manufacture of pianos, and even helped to sell them). Bach had the four- part counterpoint of the Art of the Fugue printed on four staves as that made it easier to study— and even to perform at that time for any competent keyboard player, as most could then read proficiently from score. The manuscript, however, was written on two staves and looks no different from The Well- Tempered Klavier (in proper english, The Well- Tempered Keyboard) or, indeed, any later piano piece.

Ok whatever you fucking autist, I don't listen to anything other than Mozart anyway.

Dumb frog poster.

the guitar version is better
youtube.com/watch?v=4_P2gWG-VpE

>is autistic
>hates fun
>doesn't understand common symbolic communication or cultural codes
Typical Bachposter Tbh

>Nostalgia edition
youtube.com/watch?v=GGAEpnUSUEg
youtube.com/watch?v=vBIcCXQLG2U
youtube.com/watch?v=oPFHEim8ZcA
youtube.com/watch?v=V1PzMs74-xg
youtube.com/watch?v=ydudrOGACTY
youtube.com/watch?v=Pj8hZDTQrkw

>recommends someone who likes the fruitiness and energy of Vivaldi heavy, muddy German music
Did you take the wrong turn, child?

what is muddy music?

>gould is bad because he hums.

Not a dealbreaker to me.

>piano is bad because its not organ and can't sustain long pedal notes

Yeah, but does Gould's music ever suffer from this technical limitation? Would you say that his contrapunctus XIV is ruined cause of this?

>Musica Antiqua Koln is the definitive recording

I've listened to it multiple times and I feel that in most string quartet pieces lots of music and structure just gets lost. It seems to me that I'm able to follow it only cause I've memorized the score.

youtube.com/watch?v=w1bza_bRFLo

>Mozart bores me to death
Pleb as fuck.

What do you guys think of classical guitar?

Good as accompaniment.
youtube.com/watch?v=JIPY6CmrywA

is cool

youtube.com/watch?v=jnWvbL6a4Mk

It is very easy to become proficient on it, every musician should learn how to do it.

By itself it is way too weak for me, but as soon as you have a classical guitar duo/trio/quartet things change drastically.

Fuck wrong version
youtube.com/watch?v=T8_cLqMhZL4

So should i listen to the Musica Antiqua Koln version or not?

Yes.

No.

maybe

Can you reformulate the question?

Should i listen to the Musica Antiqua Koln recording of J.S. Bach's "The Art of Fugue"?

"no"

Sure, but Gould's version is better.

No, because only Poly likes it.

> all that

give me the good shit, i recognize some names in there

youtu.be/S-Xm7s9eGxU

Maybe not my favorite, but definitely the most nostalgic.

How long does it take to become really good at piano?

I just want to compose my own music and sight read all my favourite Bach's fugues and Beethoven's piano sonatas.

My end game goals are Beethoven's Hammerklavier Sonata and Bach's Art of Fugue.