Make favourite albums list

>make favourite albums list
>all the top albums are the same generic albums everyone else loves
>(Astral Weeks, Pet Sounds, Loveless, OK Computer...)
>realize my taste in music is exactly like one of those "best albums" lists on RYM or P4K
>realize I'm a pleb
>spend the next long while exploring different genres and obscure bands
>tfw none of them are close to beating my favourites
>tfw I'm still a pleb

That's ok user. Those albums are praised for a reason. Don't stop trying to find new music though. There are a lot of albums out there that are great but don't get heard. Just stop worrying about what others think and listen to what makes you happy.

you could always try being contrarian like prismadoll or something

You're a wise man.

spend less time on Sup Forums which will have you listening to ObscureAlbum#42 instead of legendary works of modern art like NSync or Brittany Spears.

Being a pleb is about unhealthy listening habits way more than what you actually listen to.
You could listen to nothing but Erstwhile recordings and techno singles with less than 10 ratings on RYM and still be a pleb because you only listen to things for the cultural capital aspect. Ask meaningful questions about why you like OKC or pet sounds and you'll find good shit faster than digging through the crates
/unwarranted advice

Amen, brother.

stop worrying about making lists and keep exploring the neverending rabbit hole of music. Theres always gonna be more to enjoy

>Ask meaningful questions about why you like OKC or pet sounds

How? I've always found it really difficult to explain why I like the music I do. I just do. Reading reviews don't really help. They just seem to explain how it sounds and I never learn anything deep from them.

>tfw my album charts never get replies because it's 2obscure4mu

This precisely. The ultimate failure of a plebeian is to care too much how others perceive his taste. If you enjoy particular music, it is your prerogative.

Being patrician isn't particular rules that are set in stone. It's a concept of living truthful to oneself and being open.

you really don't have to justify your taste in music in some objective or technical manner if you can't, otherwise pretending you know about, say, complex music theory bullshit, just to justify your insecurities in the music you like, is more of a pleb move than all

literally just say what you like about the album, what does it make you feel? do you like it because of memories associate with it?

>what does it make you feel? do you like it because of memories associate with it?

I can answer these questions somewhat. This makes me feel good or sad, and reminds me of high school. But where does that get me? I don't feel more enlightened.

And to the others encouraging me to keep looking for new music, I'll do that but I don't know for how much longer. Everytime I listen to something obscure it turns up it's not very good, and I get bored and angry because of the waste of time. I'd rather revisit another favourite of mine. I think people who listen to a lot of new music either are very knowledgable about it so they can appreciate it more or they just hate themselves.

Ask yourself: does it really matter?

Yes because it feels like I'm missing out on so much great music, and that I'm just really unlucky because I can't find good obscure music because it seems like every other music listener out there has. I don't know what's wrong with me.

maybe the problem is just that you simply aren't approaching it with an open enough mind. have you got into the background at all? the stories?

try to have a deeper knowledge of a particular album as you approach it. just general trivia stuff like what was happening around that time, what lead to the creation etc. it can give you more of a sense of connection to the piece and you might feel more patient to give it a honest try.

i got the impression that you might get too easily distracted and you're simply holding too high expectations both for yourself and new music.

don't wait for an epiphany. just enjoy the stuff.

I really hope you're not discrediting yourself and your taste just because you like albums that are well renowned and praised.

Do you seriously take the opinion of anonymous users on this website and their rankings of pleb to patrician into consideration?

You're pathetic, you know that.

>have you got into the background at all? the stories?

No, but I don't really do this with my favourite albums either. I can't tell you a thing about The Beach Boys other than Brian Wilson is a crazy man.

read more if you really want to cultivate a basis for articulation and openmindedness in general. there is an infinitely broad range of experiences out there but one's efficacy of experiencing it in the first place is a function of their ability to frame those things as such which goes back to whatever foundational mental templates you keep

Or you get branded as an avant-teen

>tfw realize not a special snowflake afterall