If he was depressed then how was he motivated to keep making songs?

If he was depressed then how was he motivated to keep making songs?

Other urls found in this thread:

soundcloud.com/appleavenue/things-behind-the-sun-nick-drake-cover
tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/n/nick_drake/things_behind_the_sun_ver2_tab.htm
chrish.ndo.co.uk/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

writing was the only thing keeping him alive

>hurr

He was probably schizophrenic. Had EST, once.

He did quite a bit of drugs, so that probably helped.

He only made 3 albums, that's pretty pathetic. Artists who aren't prolific aren't really worth your time, user.

This seems like the perfect opportunity to shamelessly plug my shit.

soundcloud.com/appleavenue/things-behind-the-sun-nick-drake-cover

you sound like you have a mustache. do you have a mustache, user?

Source?

Literally his Wikipedia page.

>Drake began to smoke cannabis, and that spring he travelled with friends to Morocco, where, according to travelling companion Richard Charkin, "that was where you got the best pot". He most likely began using LSD while in Aix, and lyrics written during this period—in particular for the song "Clothes of Sand"—are suggestive of an interest in hallucinogens.

He was undergoing treatment, also, as pointed out he didn't exactly write a lot when he was alive.

Well he wouldn't have wrote a lot once he was dead. Unless he was making decaycore.

Guitar work is excellent but your voice makes it hard to make this work.

he still wrote way more than since he's dead though

great guitar
what tuning are you playing in?
tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/n/nick_drake/things_behind_the_sun_ver2_tab.htm
is this a good tab?

>3 albums in 6 years
not so bad tho

It's standard, capo 4.

I use this site:

chrish.ndo.co.uk/

It's not perfect, but I tweak them when I can tell they're wrong.

there's a big difference between real depression and le sad boy depression used to sell your image as with him

there is no way "Parasite" is the product of someone being wicked sad for a living. That's as dark as it gets.

Retard

>refused to perform live
>refused to promote
>wouldn't leave room for days
>fits

Also,

*3 years

Five Leaves Left was released in '69; Pink Moon in '72.

He'd only write and play when he wasn't depressed. Otherwise he was doing nothing all day while smoking pounds of weed

To add onto what everyone else has said, Nick also believed he was going to make it big. He had ambitions, and he thought success would make him rich and happy. Of course that didn't happen and all his albums were commercial failures.

o fugg, that sounds like me

We could ask the same question for...

He didn't have /r9k/

If he thought that he would make it big, why did he not play live and isolated himself?

God damn am I glad I managed to leave that place

why would he commit suicide then

Every part of Sup Forums is just /r9k/ with different themes Tbh

Normal, happy people do NOT use imageboards and forums.

Who knows, we never got much psychoanalysis on Nick. He probably had bad stage fright or general anxiety. And the isolation was probably due to his depression. He did actually play live a few times though, and even on a television show. Unfortunately no recordings have survived of them, but this video (pic related) from a festival Nick was confirmed to have played at supposedly shows him walking around.

disagree I'm happy as hell it's just like 97% of you who are miserable fucks

You're probably still not normal though.

Its slender nigga

No one's normal senpai, unless you mean bland

Come off it. You're not happy. Nobody here is happy. Why else come here. You just might be less pathetic than the regulars at /r9k/.

he didn't have the stress reliever of calling people on Sup Forums cucks

I come here because no one at uni has a broad enough taste in music for me to discuss with them
Also because I get bored

Most boards don't focus on propagating people to isolate themselves from society to fit in (to the extent of r9k at least)

Do you think he'd do that?
His eyes just don't scream "ree" to me

yeah they do
>plebeian / patrician
>if you like normie superhero movies you're a faggot
>everything about Sup Forums

Doing hallucinogens if you're depressed/schizophrenic is not such a good idea

He rarely wrote anything after 1992. Most of the songs for In Utero were actually written in 1990 and 1991.

I said most, you're just listing some of the many boards.

>Pleb/Patrician
The only real plebs are the ones taking everything strangers on the internet tell them to heart.

imagine fucking up in front of a live audience

Good Point
>tfw I know that feel

seriously this, especially if your situation is your own fault
pot can help, and good MDMA can have some therapeutic value if used wisely, but hallucinogens will show you everything right in your face, with all that entails, and you can't run

Nobody notices really.

all that happened to me was i got paranoid about my friends, shit like "wah they don't like me!!!"

it was annoying but the body-high and visuals were worth it

So he thought that he would make it big without performing live? I mean when people say they want to make it in the industry the first thing they imagine is usually playing to massive crowds.

I mean it's not that inconceivable. Around the time he was starting The Beatles had quit playing live completely and were garnering even more acclaim than when they did used to play.

And if he stuck around a few more years he would've seen that exact success he was hoping for. Such a shame really,.

people are fucking stupid so you can play it off unless you completely stop playing.

But did he get the money?

have you guys ever had anxiety?
It tricks you into assuming the worst.

>all drug experiences are the same
grow up pls

Oh I used to beat myself up over it for months whenever it happened, audience just compliments you though.

Good point, completely forgot The Beatles, although I can't think of any other bands that didn't perform at the time and were successful

>counter-point to "if you have depression or anxiety and do hallucinogens you'll be Daniel Johnston for the rest of your life!!"
>claiming i was generalizing all experiences

the world is not made for shy and quiet people
it sucks

>tfw tried to kill myself same way as nick
is amitriptyline overdose for true patricians?

>pee in a bottle and wouldn't leave room for days
Wtf I love Nick Drake now.

You can't listen to "patrician" music if you're dead

no one cares

How he wasn't homeless? Did he live with his parents?

you need food and shelter and stuff too

yeah pretty much. Sup Forums very much has a culture, and while there are differences beteeen boards there are a lot of common themes throughout the whole website. (lack of a significant other, poor sex life, social outcast, or even just being different than most people, sexual depravity, sexual degeneracy, satirical, mild and also exaggerated bigotry) the list goes on.

Yes, for the most part

His last album was recorded over 3 years before he died

Yeah, his parents were well off. His father was an engineer and both of them were musically inclined, so they probably created a very good environment for Nick to foster his interests. Nick did live with his parents toward the end of his life too.

He wasn't depressed while writing music, he got depressed because his albums didn't sell well. I think he was a bit understood as well, he was extremely shy and I believe many people mistook his introverted behavior as depression

Actually going to visit his hometown of Tanworth-in-Arden this weekend, see where he's buried and what he grew up and lived around and stuff. Should be an experience

Nigga was a giant, fucking nephilimcore.

Post Nicks

prali naht broh

*Actually, I meant WHERE did he get the money for food, rent and stuff, since he didn't performance.

Fav pic, up to now.

I think in general this is solid advice but you should speak for yourself.

Bump for interest

What do you want to know, user?

mmm i think the voice is good too

I'd like to see a picture of him from 1973 or 1974, apparently the depression made his apperance change quite a bit.

damn that's a beautiful pic

probably this, i have the same problem

duh, that's why he eventually ended up dead, they didn't help him in the end

Hmmm, I don't think I have ever seen from that time. A few probably exist but aren't released. Here's a family picture.

>tall
>sexy
>talented
but why was Nick so fucking miserable

cuz he never had any hoors to bang

damn...

People are multi-dimensional, you know. No one is 100% sad, and no one is 100% happy. You should know this since you're a human yourself, I assume.

me on the right

OP has a legitimate point though.
True depression eats all motivation to create.

I have the ability, equipment, and material to record a full-length album, and depression makes it difficult for me to even find the energy to even plug my audio interface in at all.

you can't be this stupid
we know that capt. obvious, but there's this thing called depression, no, not 14 years old attention whores tier sadness, i eman real depression, is a thing you know?

how about this

From what I remember I think that photo was taken in New York, and of course Nick never came to America. Also that guy is like the same height as Lennon, and Nick was 6'3". Apparently Nick did have a friend that worked for John Lennon, but I don't think they ever met.

Here's a picture of Nick performing live

You'd be taking your knickers down and hoofing the bass into the drum kit and then go to a sharp 5!

I would have loved to take Gabrielle on a date