youtube.com/watch?v=wY6454QetqM
youtube.com/watch?v=N99PulN7xSY
youtube.com/watch?v=jMu47CsLm0M
youtube.com/watch?v=AG-j8Is9IP0
youtube.com/watch?v=Sg0P4XFfdm8
youtube.com/watch?v=4qgtQBXTI0s
youtube.com/watch?v=_02zy5EAsHI
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Pay attention to the word play and lyrical skill, especially for your pic related. Also listen more closely to the beat, the flow and to how those elements interact with each other to create meaning. Kendrick Lamar's Sing About Me, I'm Dying of Thirst is a great and accessible example of that.
youtube.com/watch?v=1WQV_cULobA

I hate the style of editing for this video, but you may find it helpful, especially the bit on DOOM
youtube.com/watch?v=QWveXdj6oZU

People who are more readily dismissing all of hip hop and rap music have been connected to being more illiterate and of lesser intelligence. They literally cannot understand and comprehend beautiful wordplay.

>tfw two intellect to rap

listen to how the beat and flow interact and how the rhythm changes due to a shift in drums or how a sentence can diverge in meaning etc.

theres tons of ways o enjoy hip hop i would suggest just listen to a bunch of different styles of it

youtube.com/watch?v=T0PqSbJL9Jo
youtube.com/watch?v=wY6454QetqM
youtube.com/watch?v=N99PulN7xSY
youtube.com/watch?v=jMu47CsLm0M

Have you tried:

El-P: Cancer 4 Cure
Eyedea & Abilities: By the Throat
Aesop Rock: Skelethon

You might like those albums.

b8? I like all those artists but those are shit starting points
This one is good though, especially Two Dope Boys

Don't listen to this memer

0/10. not even remotely funny.

try to actually listen and look out for the rhymes. that will make you understand how meter and thus flow works aswell as the rhymes themselves. and that will make you appreciate the lyrics more. even if the actual lyrical content is shit if the technique is right it can tell be enjoyable, but of course the content is meaningful or clever too then thats incredible. and then there's the instrumental level of things.
to fully appreciate something you need to understand how it works i think.

I second this.
Good Kid Maad city is a great album to get into. Great story telling, very catchy, good beats, etc.
Just try to listen to hip hop songs that are catchy, and go from there.

if you dont get it, you dont get it.
music is subjective, you cant train yourself to like everything.

i think you know this and are just trying to start a flame war

>if you dont get it, you dont get it.
>music is subjective, you cant train yourself to like everything.
That's just not true. I listened exclusively to metal until I was 16 and then decided to enjoy other music. It wasn't even a process, I just decided it.

Good for you? Are you trying to say musical taste isn't subjective you just have to decide to like it?

just listen to while driving around at night youtube.com/watch?v=AG-j8Is9IP0

Not quite. I'm saying that taste is the most overrated notion in the universe and is just an excuse for people to not invest their time in something. As a human you have all the necessary prerequisites to like everything other people like as well all you need to do is decide to want to understand it. Also what I'm saying is that if you are not in control of your mind you're a subhuman.

Rap is the most sophisticated form of pop music. It has interesting rhythmic interaction between the beat and the rapping plus the instrumentals are more diverse than guitar-centric genres. There's a lot of content possible in the lyrics due to the sheer quantity, and more internal rhyming.
I don't know why more people can't recognize this. It seems obvious to me.

I wasn't trying to be funny though. Those albums are a good middle ground I thought.

They are good starting points for people who don't like albums like illmatic, Madvillainy, Liquid Swords etc. I am assuming op has heard them and didn't like them, seeing as they are obvious choice to start with. Seeing as he does like Death Grips but doesn't consider them hip hop, it's a good middle ground I reckon.

Regardless of what these retards say rap is about the beat and the high energy thst comes with it. Makes you feel like a gangster just like Im sure metal makes some people feel like a god. You like death grips so your just a dumbass anyway who doesn't deserve advice. kys

I used to hate Hip Hop. I transitioned into Hip Hop from Metal by listening to Enter the 36 Chambers. It was aggressive and appealed to what element of music I was into. Now it's my favorite genre.

It's an acquired taste because you don't listen to it like other forms of music.

Think of it more as a vocal art. The thing I like most about hip-hop, is it's an oxymoron: the lyrics are usually extremely blunt, and therefore aren't as pretentious as other lyrics in other genres. The intent of hip-hop is for the listener to immediately understand what you mean, whereas other genres seem like they don't even know what they're talking about. BUT, that being said, it's also a very egotistic and braggadocios genre. The best type of hip-hop is when a rapper is just talking about how great they are, while their bars are coated with double entendres, internal rhymes, metaphors and similes, funny references, etc. As a listener, you kinda just have to acknowledge a rapper's greatness before you even listen, otherwise it's hard to take it seriously. Like, if someone genuinely believed Rakim was a pussy, how could they enjoy any of his music? Assume the rapper is smarter than you and generally a badass, and it makes the experience more fun.

As far as beats go, you just kinda have to know what a good beat is. It helps to understand turntablism and instrumental production to have an ear for a good beat.

Like by the throat is kind of a punk hip hop fusion, I don't know why these dude are giving ya shit

While I kind of agree with what you wrote, it should be noted that you only described one type of hip hop. The genre is huge and extremely diverse, many artists ditch those conventions especially in more experimental subgenres. Hip Hop can also be instrumental, rap is not a necessary part of it, although they are connected.

Hip hop is like sports, the artists might have several tapes a year and feature on other artists stuff as opposed to 1 album every couple years with rock bands, and you have to follow the rappers and producers you like, listen to the artists they collaborate with, and that's the real appeal

Not everyone can like hip hop and liking it really isn't enough to be considered an actual fan, it's time consuming to sift through everything but once you do you realize it's the most satisfying form of music

It's a hobby and an identity to be a hip hop head, totally different than listening to the same shitty Radiohead albums over and over

Why is there always a thread about this? If you're too stupid to understand the appeal of hip hop you should get off music forums, it's 2016 for christssake, hip hop has been around for over 30 years fuck just try

lmao your life must be super shitty

wrong
it only took a couple of album for me as person who almost exclusively listened to rap to get into post rock, shoegaze,noise etc by myself.of course music is subjective but that doesnt mean you should avoid 90% of genres because you THINK you wont like them based on a couple of songs or albums if you actually invest time into trying to understand any genre guaranteed you will like at least one or two albums

its just a bad genre desu

get off Sup Forums

You've listened to a lot and still don't like it?
Then you just don't like it.

Honestly listen to Madvillainy, Ready to Die, MAAD City, and Sour Soul. If you don't like any of it it just isn't for you.

I like rap music for the head-nodding and extreme potential for lyrical content. It's poetry over a beat. You can have incredible wordplay or detailed storytelling that I think is quite rare in any other genre.

What genres do you listen to OP, I mainly listen to rap
youtube.com/watch?v=Sg0P4XFfdm8

it is maybe the most connected with real culture out of any kind of music..rapping uses the dialect of local areas and addresses things directly affecting those people. Not necessarily political issues but it illustrates their way of life.

you chose a shitty place to start

Listen to Freddie Gibbs and thats basically the pinnacle of rap rn. Dude has been untouchable since BFK.

>inb4 im stanning him

youtube.com/watch?v=4qgtQBXTI0s

youtube.com/watch?v=_02zy5EAsHI

OP These tracks are good examples of how hard he can go while making the most of a tremendous beat

>Hip Hop can also be instrumental
Not him but, any examples?

this guy is right. it's a lot more about following these mostly shitty artists as they start underground, become normie artists, and then ruin their lives.