Is it difficult to get a job as a C programmer with no degree?

Is it difficult to get a job as a C programmer with no degree?

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/voidAsterisk
github.com/isc30
kx.com/end-user-customers.php
twitter.com/AnonBabble

not if you're still decent at it

Until you get experience yes.

>still
What do you mean?

And I suppose. I'm making an arcade game right now. I built a prototype so far. Could continue it but well income would be nice.

Hurg.

still as in, despite not having a degree, you're still good at it from having coded a bunch as a hobby

Oh.
Yeah, like since 7th grade. I remember that period being hell since staying up until like 4 am and sleeping two and a half hours.

I have a bunch of YouTube videos and data that would need forensics to retrieve to show for it though, but I swear I am almost an elite wizard by now...

true story
but seriously, if you want a job, more likely they'll just ask you to code something for them. if you can do that, then you're good.
maybe look to expand past C though. If you can add python or java to your repetoire, its just a bonus.
Or if you want to make guaranteed huge amounts of money, learn COBOL, but good luck with that.

Well, thanks anyway.

I'm a polyglot, the rest is preference, like I hate Java because it runs an entire virtual machine.

Besides that, COBOL is the only thing I haven't looked at, well, besides Haskell and Ada. Any functional language basically. Just some paradigms make me cringe for introducing specific abstractions and conventions, that's about it...

I looked at cobol and got hiccups.

yeah, just dont go with cobol

Im 20, working for a multinational software company (one of biggest in europe).
All depends on your skills and your moves when searching for a job

Already ahead of me.
I sent in a CV to some small business-something, they told me to be in Skype at 12, but I wasn't so I got rejected.
Bad move? I'd rather it be enjoyable...

Show us some programs you wrote. What OS are you programming that game for and what libraries do you use, especially for graphics?
I think that these days C is not enough. Java, C# and Python/Ruby are the most popular languages in the general IT business. Unless you want to write some HPC programs for clusters and GPGPU or write psoftware for an embedded system, C is not a language used often elsewhere. Why not learn Python? It has nice tutorial in the python.org doc section and let's you write a prototype of your idea and test it very quickly. Then if it makes sens, you just rewrite it to language that has better efficiency or other features necessary to improve the prototype. My friend got a job without a degree, but he's a very good programmer and even won some competition and then was hired by Lufthansa. Usually the degree is needed here, where I live.

>Show us some programs you wrote.
Ech... here goes. Not my best work.
github.com/voidAsterisk

>What OS are you programming that game for and what libraries do you use, especially for graphics?
Windows mainly because it's my main OS because Linux Nvidia does not like Linux.

Besides that, OpenGL. Everything else I'm writing myself because it's an arcade game and I want to own all of the code or something.

>Java
Yeah, sure
>C#
I make graphical menu programs in that when I need to.
>Python
Sure. Sometimes I use it as a calculator until I discovered ideone...

Something like that.
I wrote a JSON editor at some point with a nice tree display, dunno where that is though.

What i have learned from my experience is that if you are good enough, you only need to send cv to places where you are going to be happy, even if they are very big companies and you think that they will reject. It can be that someday they contact you to do technical interview

I agree.

You will likely run in virtualized environments which means any code you write....will be in a vm.

Thats how i found my job hahaha
As you said that you use OpenGL, I will put my github too (a bit outdated but np)
github.com/isc30

>github.com/voidAsterisk
I see some basic algorithms in C, cool.

It's good to know OpenGL if you want to develop games in the future. The problem I find with game dev is that you need all sorts of other data like 3D models, textures, sounds, music.

The languages I mentioned are the languages that are most popular in IT jobs, I didn't say they're the best, because each language is like a tool, better for one task, worse for another.

Keep up programming and maybe think about first getting some internships, even unpaid ones, so that you have something to list in your CV and get some work experience.

Good luck man. Just out of curiosity, how old are you?

I agree, you should do that

Yes. You'll have a hard time making it past the initial resume screening unless you pack your resume with examples of why you're awesome at C and programming in general.

Ooh an engine. Neato.
And a Twitter macine.
I guess that's the bushido... wrote a twitter app that would post a word of the day once a day.

I'm making a 2D arcade game, GL space maps to screen space plus a tweak. As simple as possible.

I'm 20.

Not if you have experience.
Good C programmers are like gold dust these days

C only pays well for embedded systems and machine operating. but those companies that pay well expect you to have a computer science degree. anything else can be achieved with android nowadays.

You're still young, why not get a degree if you like programming in C? Would it be too expensive where you live? Check out SDL library for game dev, you may like it.

Embedded systems scare me. People can get maimed.

Working on it.

I don't like SDL, the way it handles images is weird (surfaces/textures), instead I'll load a BMP myself and do all the per-pixel voodoo myself using OpenGL. Figured out a method to map GL space to the window 1:1 to pixels.

Hi, lets call me ISC (20yo, multinational company, github isc30, etc). Is important what you put in your cv, what skills did you mention? Heres screencap of mine

I mentioned programming languages and Linux. I'm going to copy off your screen if you don't mind.

Yes, but you get all sort of other cool things in SDL like sound functions. It's a bit like DirectX for Windows, but multiplatform and doesn't have 3D functions, you have to use it with OpenGL.

By: #isc
SDL is a good one if you are working with C.
If you plan to use C++ you sould get SFML.

Oh yeah, sound. There was a library for that though, you have a point though.
As for multiplatform uhh...

gcc in linux until it compiles is my strategy.

Hahah its ok, but you need to know them xddd

It's okay, I'm not going to put stuff on there that I don't.

OpenAL

Dude, stop trying to use names on anonymous board, they're going to pretend they're you and make fun of you.

>cracking
What have you cracked recently?

>Lenguajes
>Android
Android is an OS, not a language

By: #isc
Nice haha

You can compile with GCC using SDL library, so good news!
Install Ubuntu and get a bit knowledge about bash etc. It is very useful and you should know that too.

Baby steps, iteration is king - this is my way.

Android is a Framework based in Java, thats why is putted after it. Is not technically a language but knowing all the framework funcionality its nearly like learning a language. I usually make hack for games, recently I havent done any big cracking but I usually resolve some crackmes that i find or even hack some websites hahaha

I have Ubuntu in dual boot, it's just that it either lags or works my GPU on maximum.

you d better work black hat stuffs if you know C :)

>dat employment hijack

COBOL is probably the best language to learn if you want to make a killing. I know a guy who is making $1750 per day as a contractor going from company to company and retiring legacy systems

Functional programming is probably one of the best ways to make you learn programming languages quickly. I'm currently an expert in kdb+/q (func prog lang used in major financial institutions) and I have been able to pick up other programming languages within weeks (now decent in C, C#, Java, Python and Javascript)

and no one just advertises it like and i dont even
besides its impolite

I already know those in that specific order of eliteness.
JS I consider on par with writing your name with piss in snow though.

Nodejs.....
Js is getting strong...

Yes, I get your point, but still it should be separate in the CV I think, because someone may think that you think it's a language.
The small-time cracking... maybe I'd left it out of skills and place it in interests/hobbies section :)
This way you look less pretentious and not like an overly confident asshole.
But don't take my words 100% seriously I don't have much work experience.

Maybe try with different drivers? Why not use intel integrated graphics from your CPU instead?
May be better.

You need to know a bit more than C to do this ;)

I believe the COBOL story, but I don't believe functional programming is anything besides a sport in CS academia + very few real companies using it. Rather multi-paradigm languages with functional features combined with OOP are used eg. Scala.
Don't shill functional programming, it doesn't help to learn imperative programming AND is not widely used.

Meh.

>Maybe try with different drivers?
pls

kx.com/end-user-customers.php

Please tell me how very few companies use functional programming. It forms a mindset like no others...I literally get calls all day long for jobs where they look for functional programmers

I agree with you, I must change that haha
I can say that the COBOL story can be true, cause i know one guy that maintains 3 company's internal services thar were written in cobol. And he earns a lot because there is no people that knows cobol hahaha

By the way writing simple programs in any programming language with any library is not really hard, what's really hard is when you try to improve a well researched for many years algorithm to compute something in less time (better computational complexity). This is where hard things happen in Informatics.

Congrats, "meh, pls" guy joined us

It does form a mindset and is interesting in itself, but the overwhelming majority of IT business is OOP and imperative programming. Deal with it. I also like Haskell, Scheme etc. But they're not popular and will not be popular in businesses. It's cool that you found a place where it's used, have fun, you're lucky :)

Yeah, COBOL is dead, but there's a shit ton of business legacy software in it and dinosaurs that know COBOL can get a lot of cash from banks and other institutions like this.

Just op... burning muscle by not eating, smoking cigarettes and drinking coffee.
My legs ache.

Yeah I definitely enjoy day to day as functional programming is more fun. But luckily I learnt OOP languages before in case. I'll stick to financial industries until the next financial crash LOL

happy programming, bro

Ok Sup Forums, has been a nice thread haha
I go to sleep
Bye
.__
.---
.--
.---
.--
.---
#isc

You too man. Also I would say learn bash thoroughly if you operate on Linux, this shit can cut off a lot of your daily work if you build scripts to automate simple or boring tasks. I estimate that I save approx 30 mins-1 hour per day

goodnight mierda! (I only know a few words).

I used Bash when I was on an internship and it was very useful, but some things would be even easier to automate in Python, so I'm learning it bit-by-bit now. Has pros and cons like every language, but I enjoy it. GNU/Linux is my main OS.

hahahahahahaha

Don't stop yourself from writing jajajajajajajajaj I know you want to. Jaja are "eggs" in Polish language.