Am I the only one who wan't too crazy about Evol? I mean the first three songs and Expressway to Yr...

Am I the only one who wan't too crazy about Evol? I mean the first three songs and Expressway to Yr. Skull was great but everything in between kinda didn't do it for me.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=jUegc5J8iZk
sonicyouth.com/mustang/sy/song34.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I found it pretty forgettable.

Not an SY fan, but Star Power is a classic.

Yeah Star Power's one of my favorite Sonic Youth songs but this is probably my least favorite Sonic Youth album I've heard so far

It grew on me. Wasn't very good to begin with

nah dude green light and death to our friends are great SY tracks imo

i agree marilyn moore and in the kingdom #19 are very skippable

secret girl is kinda cool too

this album is maybe not as consistent as Sister or Daydream Nation but i its high points make it my favorite SY album

Maybe I'll give it another listen then

this is my favourite SY album because it feels the most cohesive and vibey to me, and doesn't grate by the end like Daydream imo. All the songs sit well together on the album, production is consistent and interesting. nothing is redundant. Tom Violence, Green Light, Start Power, Xpressway are all classics.

How could you not enjoy this visceral description of a car crash?

youtube.com/watch?v=jUegc5J8iZk

its their best album

It's their poppiest album, but it's still creative enough that it's just so much fun to listen to

Definitely one of their five best albums

i love the weird talky bit in the kingdom

>tfw buy this vinyl to impress cute grill when I prefer Sister and DDN

I liked the description in that one but in general I'm not too crazy about spoken word songs on albums

I can understand that either. I'm normally not a fan of them either, but the chaotic noise behind it gives me the sensation of a car crash. I hope I never end up in one again.

I'm guessing you aren't a fan of Spiderland?

Actually Spiderland is my 3rd favorite album of all time, but it did take some getting used to for me so maybe I'll give Evol another shot

yeah I love this song, definitely inspired me to write some shitty poetry when I was teenager, too.

I like EVOL a lot, but I think it kind of represents a transition between Bad Moon Rising and Sister (which are probably my two favorite SY albums). They try putting some actual songs together while still holding the looming chaos of BMR dear; results are mixed. Sometimes it jives really well (Star Power), other times it's just kind of messy (Green Light, which starts off amazing and then goes on way too long), with later tracks on the album becoming increasingly hit or miss (sorry, not a huge fan of Expressway). All that said, I definitely enjoy it more than anything after Day Dream Nation (which also suffers toward the end).

Apparently Lee screams in the song because Thurston threw fireworks into the vocal booth while Lee was recording

Wow, no kidding?

Thurston you maniac you.

source?

I admit the middle of the album was a bit less accessible and took more time to grow on me. But the album as a whole has a really great tone/vibe to it and some of their best early songs.

Secret Girl and Marilyn Moore back to back kind of make it feel like it starts to drag. But luckily Expressway comes in and save the album.

I love it. It's sexy, it's sensual, it's intoxicating and the guitar textures are so vivid. It's my favourite SY album but I just wish it was a little longer.

its the best sy album easily

>likes star power
>doesnt like evol

why are you even in this genre

sonicyouth.com/mustang/sy/song34.html

you can literally hear them in the song anyway wtf else would they be?

From 'Psychic Confusion: The Sonic Youth Story' by Steve Chick

Why is the Eternal so underrated?

because its just not as good as the others. they really had a major change in style after 2000 and all the shit they had got stolen