Why is all the music out of canada sub-par?

why is all the music out of canada sub-par?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=s0CvSIhF_tA
youtube.com/watch?v=q7Bsb-8pxG8
youtube.com/watch?v=ZF2lZesYZo0
youtube.com/watch?v=dhvjL98MJEU
youtube.com/watch?v=WG9MHBrl_DY
youtube.com/watch?v=c1MOKPAhmz8
m.youtube.com/watch?v=VkSMSbFV_q0
youtube.com/watch?v=aGRNEJiD3PY
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I haven't listened to new music since 2004 so I'm not sure about today. but back in my day it didn't seem so bad. treble charger, gob, our Lady peace, the hip, the weakerthans, Alexis on fire first album.

it's gone to straight shit, the only redeeming new artists are grimes and mac demarco and they're not even that great

What are you talking about? Grimes is the best artist of this generation. Canadians should be really proud of her.

Boards of Canada is good though.

>Boards of Canada
>from Canada
not sure if you're intentionally fucking around

Yeah I'm fucking around internationally.

>Grimes is the best artist of this generation

Isn't Neil Young canadian? That redeemed the whole country for me

>Grimes is the best artist of this generation.
>best

ON THE 96TH DAY WE SAILED AGAIN

youtube.com/watch?v=s0CvSIhF_tA

>he actually likes b8

Kek good meme

OTFL

Weve got Arcade Fire and Godspeed, and thats about it in terms of popular music.

This guy is a faggot

why is alaska included in that image
also joni mitchell

post leafcore

youtube.com/watch?v=q7Bsb-8pxG8

You are a faggot. Suck a pen15.

Jessy Lanza is pretty good
youtube.com/watch?v=ZF2lZesYZo0
youtube.com/watch?v=dhvjL98MJEU

why is it so goofy
find a non-goofy canadian artist
protip: you can't

Rush are alright

Arcade fire?

The beeb?

calgary desu

AH FOR JUST ONE TIME I WOULD TAKE THE NORTHWEST PASSAGE

It's not, you just can't look past that it's Canadian. I think you just dislike Canada for what ever reason you have.
Time for you to grow up eh

People like you are why I will never give Grimes a chance. I know I shouldn't let a fanbase get in the way of trying new music, but my god, for like the last year or so here it's been nothing but Grimes worship. And you're all the same. It sucks honestly.
You're just as bad as Lauren/Chvrches worshipers, but worse than Death Grips worshipers

there was that one kardinal offishall song

>People like you are why I will never give Grimes a chance.
Big loss. She could have a career with or without you. And let's face it, you wouldn't listen to her music in any case.

Because the USA outshines their music scene in almost every way due to its sheer size. However! GSY!BE is from Canada so we must remember that Canada does have some great bands

Gorguts, you cunt.

>She could have a career with or without you. And let's face it, you wouldn't listen to her music in any case.
>She could have a career with or without you.
>And let's face it, you wouldn't listen to her music in any case.
That's what he just said, you retarded fucking dipshit. Good Lord.

We're not.

>he
It's actually you You didn't say that, cretin. You pretended that you would give her music a chance if her fanbase wouldn't be so annoying, but actually you wouldn't give a fuck in any case. Fuck off.

>It's actually you
It's actually he, you autistic piece of shit.

Two times a charm, huh? Kill yourself, Jesus fucking Christ.

For (You)

>We
(You)

arcade fire?

just kidding

>wishing suicide to Jesus Christ
You're a raging retard, don't you? Take your chill pills, pathetic nitwit.

UHHH that would be me invoking the name of God in exasperation of how completely retarded you are, you sperg.

Hope you die in a fire.

>mad autist posting even more bullshit
Stop it, retard.

>grimesfag
>mad autist posting even more bullshit
It's like your so close to self-awareness but that extra chromosome keeps holding you back.

Have Canada made any original genres?

You guys do know Rush and fucking Godspeed You! Black Emperor are Canadian right? Those two bands alone can carry the entire country's shitty music,

This.

Also this
youtube.com/watch?v=WG9MHBrl_DY
>inb4 dadrock
they are a fantastic band and Burton Cummings has an amazing voice

>You guys do know Rush and fucking Godspeed You! Black Emperor are Canadian right?
lul how new is this guy

how new are you you little dude

And Grimes. She alone saved the current Canadian music scene.

um counterparts senpai?
youtube.com/watch?v=c1MOKPAhmz8

All of these are either mediocre or flat oit bad

Not true.

joni mitchell
idk

Why is literally EVERYTHING Canada produce so lukewarm? Like its all "local" in the sense that if you aren't a part of it you can't appreciate it because it isn't really that impressive. Canada's music, Canada's """"""""""""literature""""""""""""", Canada's films.

kek

WOMEN

just don't discuss grimes if you haven't even listened to the music. the waifufag grimes fans are annoying but the opposite is annoying too

cringe

>People like you are why I will never give Grimes a chance.
>Letting other people's opinions shape your taste
user, people like you are categorically incapable of being genuine fans of anything. So there's no loss.

Lol - apparently Canadians themselves are incapable of appreciating the musical talents they DO produce. 'Tis no wonder why all the good ones inevitably leave for the U.S. and go CIMO (Canadian in memory only.)

You don't have to rub it in. Fwiw all the Canadians I know are extremely nice people - if a tad (obliviously) elitist.

>godspeed
>popular

Except Skinny Puppy

What about the superior Front Line Assembly?

Canada has top tier comedians though
m.youtube.com/watch?v=VkSMSbFV_q0

Because they basically have no culture. Not meant to be a rub desu. It's just that they haven't been around long enough/they're too far out of the way geographically and in a generally unpleasant climate zone, so they've never has to fight for their existence (which is ultimately what makes cutler's interesting - spirit.)

Them too even if I don't think they're superior

According to google trends they are as popular as Scooter. Don't kid yourself. You don't keep any of those Sup Forumscores in your mums basement.

Hey - there's always that one exception.

Canadian popular music isn't bad, it's just nobody else has heard of it, when I was a kid all my favorite music was from Canadian radio stations and I didn't realize until I was older that nobody outside of Canada knew that stuff

That said we have a fair amount of great artists based on our population in comparison to many other countries with similar population sizes...besides the normal choices like Arcade Fire, Leonard Cohen, Neil Young, Joni Mitchell Godspeed; we also have other classics like NoMeansNo, Mort Garson, Nihilist Spasm Band, Venetian Snares, Buffy Sainte-Marie, Skinny Puppy

And there's all sorts of music that was great as a teenager like Billy Talent, Sum 41 and City and Colour

>cutler's
Lol - meant to write 'cultures'...

Or maybe it's because there is butt-fuck no business.

Name 1 (one) beter artist

>literally noone has posted The Tragically Hip

reee

OP confirmed for shit taste
youtube.com/watch?v=aGRNEJiD3PY

How to tell someone doesnt listen to metal: the post.

The problem is that canada is a country of extremes, either extreme faggotry like drake, bieber, sjws, etc or heavy fucking metal: Exciter. Annihilator, Voivod, Anvil, etc. We also have rush as our one off prog masterpiece. If you dont like rush your a fucking contrarian faggot who spend too much time on this chinese cartoon forum.

Wolf Parade, Radio Radio, Caribou, Karkwa, and Destroyer are all good. Maybe you're just not looking hard enough?

Basically all of the commercially successful pop music comes from Montréal.

why is this?

are anglos just inferior lol

There are lots of great Canadian artists. Stop whining.

Alanis Morissette
Arcade Fire
Austra
Broken Social Scene
Caribou
Carly Rae Jepsen
Conjure One
Crystal Castles
Delerium
Devin Townsend
Dragonette
Feist
Front Line Assembly
Grimes
Holy Fuck
Junior Boys
K-OS
Leonard Cohen
Lights
Metric
Neil Young
Purity Ring
Rush
Skinny Puppy
Stars
Tegan and Sara
The Birthday Massacre
Young Galaxy

Alvvays

all shit

Jewel and Portugal. the Man are pretty good

>edgy pleb

portugal the man are from alaska
which is not canada

it was a joke you twit, look at the op's pic

no struggle no culture.

That was way to subtle for anyone to realize you were joking. Only one person even pointed out that alaska was in op's pic. I don't appreciate being called a twit but I do appreciate that you used the word twit =]

Best Canadian band coming through

If they've released an album recently I haven't heard it but Sum41 is a good Canadian band

Okay, going off other countries that have the same population as Canada (within 5 million), I bet most people on Sup Forums have more music from Canada than these other countries:

Less than five million more:
>Sudan
>Algeria
>Uganda
>Poland
>Iraq
Less than five million fewer:
>Venezuela
>Saudi Arabia
>Peru
>Afghanistan
>Morocco

And then keep in mind that small population is spread across the second largest country in the world so there's little cultural crossover from one end of the country to the other

Chuck was their last good album (and their best)

I personally like Underclass Hero and some stuff off Screaming Bloody Murder but if I only liked them for their older style then that wouldn't be the case. Earlier on in their career Deryck had said he wanted every album to sound completely different.

While you have a point, you are factually incorrect about one thing, spread.

Something like ~85% of Canadians are only on 4% of the country, and its mostly near US borders.

The Tragically Hip
PUP
Hollerado
Indian Handcrafts
Arcade Fire
GY!BE
Early Billy Talent
Two Sum 41 albums
Gob
The Odds

I like some stuff off Underclass Hero quite a bit, but as a whole I'm not a fan, too inconsistent...Screaming Bloody Murder was fun at the time but it just didn't have that staying power to keep me going back to it after the newness wore off

Their new Album released this year and it's decent. Chuck and Does This Look Infected? are really good.

Yeah those two albums were inconsistent compared to these
I saw a video of them live from the beginning of the year and they had that newer guitarist in the back playing quietly lol. Dave seized his spot back.

I know that, but still, what I'm saying is the cultural divide is pretty huge for a small population, like who knows how many people like Tanya Tagaq are making music in the north that the rest of us will never here and even our cities are spread apart by flights that are hours long...it's hard to really tour here as some band in a van, you basically just do shows in the city your from

I've lived in Canada almost all my life and there's maybe a million and a half people within a day's drive from me (in Canada itself) and about 75% of them are in one city thirty minutes from here

are you canadian? Ive lived in two parts of canada and this is the case.

to contribute to thread for decent canadian artists:

un blonde
night lovell

I just realized the last album was five years ago...does the band sound any different without Jocz?

>PUP
>Indian Handcrafts

Add in The Dirty Nil and you have the three best new bands from Toronto and surrounding areas.