Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=4pSA81M3Q1g
youtube.com/watch?v=WkaMVLHxzWE
youtube.com/watch?v=d7qNnyF3wtQ
youtube.com/watch?v=r7PIUZRqxp0/https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLCXvrr47zE
youtube.com/watch?v=9FCBg3GmzQM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

want to elaborate my plebeian friend?

Almost every time he's ever said anything.

LA Woman should be higher

>bum-blistered beatles babby detected

His sexual preferences

this one i will never understand

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

strange days is better it is true but scaruffi is RARELY wrong. If ever.

Things he's wrong on:
-saying it's normal to wanna fuck a 12 year old
-I personally don't like the vocalist for Family which he considers one of the best
-He thinks The Ramones are anything but trash
-Not giving Rain Dogs at least an 8.5
-Giving Roots an 8 was weird
-Also Tragic Mulatto is trash
-The Good Son is not even in the top 3 Nick Cave albums
-Boys Vs Girls is mediocre at best
-He actually gave a lot of mediocre music great scores in the 90's

probably the worst thing is that his death grips stuff is just an extension of the hella page

THE FACT THAT

The Doors are overrated as fuck, they didn't bring anything new to the slowly blooming Rock table that hadn't been done

This. I love almost all of his highly rated albums but I don't get why this is supposed to be good.

The Doors s/t is great, The End is one of the best songs ever.

Alright. Elaborate why. I tend to find myself agreeing with him 99% of the time. The only thing I'm sure he's wrong on is Seam's Are You Driving Me Crazy? The songwriting on that album brings it up to the level of The Problem With Me.

He was wrong about OK Computer being half filler half masterpiece

this
scaruffi is old, he likes a lot of dad rock

>meme grips
>good

>rap
>music

>they didn't bring anything new to the slowly blooming Rock table that hadn't been done

What albums before The Doors' s/t did this:

"The album is the outcome of the fusion of six elements of highly suggestive potential: the coarse skin-tight twitch of blues-rock (sealed by the obsessive beat of Densmore); a personalized baroque interpretation of psychedelia (trademark of the fatuous and eclectic Manzarek's organ that varies from sluggish swing to a peeling of the bells onto majestic liturgical swirls); an accurate plan of exotic infection (Latin and Hawaiian flavors in Krieger's guitar), the seducing and sinister voice of Morrison, the evangelic charm of his personality and the shocking value of his lyrics, halfway between Greek tragedies and Freudian psychoanalysis."

See, the problem with you fucks and Scaruffi is you solely look at his ratings and fail to understand what the ratings mean. He rates things that innovate and push the boundary of rock higher than things that do not.

By that logic death grips should be getting 9/10s

yes, it was all just a fairly good pink floyd rip off

>scaruffi is old, he likes a lot of dad rock

He likes a lot of music full stop. His 6/10 albums mean "good but polarizing" for god's sake. The worst thing about these threads is the fact that nobody understands what his ratings mean or what he does. Look at Sup Forumscore for god's sake, ALL of the albums on there scaruffi has given a 7 or 8 or above.

So you're admitting he was wrong again?

Merriweather Post Pavilion got a 6

Yeah he's full of shit, both L.A. Woman and Strange Days are better than s/t.

>His 6/10 albums mean "good but polarizing" for god's sake.
Not true, by the way. His 7/10s are albums he's indifferent towards.

Waiting For The Sun is an 8 that's all
Scaruffi guides pretty well

That's not actually true:

youtube.com/watch?v=4pSA81M3Q1g

Barring dalek's accomplishments, and specifically talking about Exmilitary, Death Grips aren't the first band that sampled another band's music. See: Faust, and just about every hip-hop act ever.

What did Merriweather Post Pavilion do that other bands didn't already do before them? (That's how Scaruffi looks at music by the way).

The Doors s/t is one of the most influential albums dude

Led Zepplin?

that doesn't mean its still being overrated

Just stating that not all Sup Forumscore is 7-8-9/10 on the Scaruffi meter

It is true. I don't have it on me, but he has another page that states what his rating system does. Goes something like

9 - rock masterpiece
6 - good but polarizing

And other things.

>Type O Negative achieved perhaps the most shocking fusion of metal, industrial and gothic languages. With vocalist Peter "Steele" Ratajczyk convincingly impersonating a psychopath who uttered nihilist, racist, sexist, fascist invectives, keyboardist Josh Silver molding grandiose sonic architectures, and guitarist Kenny Hickey highlighting the turpitude of the stories with excoriating noises, the terrifying vision of Slow Deep And Hard (1991) acquired a metaphysical dimension besides and beyond its hyper-realistic overtones, bridging the philosophical themes of sex and death the way a black mass would do.
i think the question of whether or not you find the album great depends on if you see the metaphysical dimension beyond the sum of its parts that he's talking about
personally i do think it's an amazing album, just not of the caliber you would expect from something he would give a 9

>influential automatically means good

Laughable. Their first record is two years late anyway.

The Doors are legit.

Strange Days suffers from the second King Crimson's illness
It's an album that copies the formula of the successful debut album

In that way Waiting for the sun is better

shock he likes dean blunt

Zepplin > Doors

Scaruffi is a fucking tool for giving Zepplin 7.5/10

Kid A 6/10
What kind of doof is this man?

ITCOKC - 8.5/10
Vision Creation Newsun - 8/10
Spiderland - 9/10
F#A#Infinity - 7/10
LYSFLATH - 7/10
Hospice - 7/10
Faust - 9.5/10
Beefheart - 9.5/10
Newstead - 8/10
etc.

HOLLYYYY SHITTTTT

The quads gods are smiling on this thread

Here goes...

MPP - 6/10
The Seer - 6/10
To Be Kind - 6.5/10
The Glow pt. 2 - 6.5/10
Kid A - 6.5/10
In Rainbows - 5/10

It's true tho'

Oh I misread. Yeah not all of them are 7 and 8s. The reason being bands before them have done those things.

what a... faggot

Nah, it's pretty unique in context

this definitely and morrison hotel could pass for 7/10

These albums aren't even trip-hop.

he's right except for jazz covers being like pop song
>mfw emotion above else

>To Be Kind
>bands before have done those things

Examples?

"The double-disc To Be Kind (Young God, 2014) does not fully redeem the generic mediocrity of Seer but at least scales down the pomp or infuses it with more real deas. Nonetheless, the Swans remain unrecognizable (note for the younger generations: no, your parents were not listening to this "stuff", they were listening to Filth and Cop, much darker "stuff").
The looping hypnotic strumming Screen Shot (8:04) is perhaps an attempt to get in synch with the era of Animal Collective (seven years too late). Just A Little Boy (12:40), dedicated to blues deity Howling Wolf, ends up sounding like Led Zeppelin performing a cover of the Doors' The End: not a bad idea, but hardly worthy 12 minutes of our time."

First paragraphs of his To Be Kind review. You'll notice the albums he tends to rate lower he frequently mentions bands that have already tread the same ground, or mention albums previous the band has done. Like some of the lower Boredoms album scoresf when he brings up Can and Faust.

Proof that Scaruffi just doesn't GET it

He's comparing for the sake on that review, there's no goddamn way half of that stuff sounds remotely like Animal Collective, the Doors or Zepplin in any musical style whatsoever

"Hardly worth 12 minutes of our time"
>I don't get or understand it so ill give it a bad review

Now, I haven't heard To Be Kind, AC, much of The Doors, or LedZep so I can't comment. But the albums where I agree with his lower 6 or 7s are because they were things that had been done before, and that seems to be his mantra I find in my readings of his reviews.

Or yeah sure he's "comparing for the sake on that review" like some asshole. But that isn't so I find.

I agree. I never cared for Rolling Stones either outside of a few songs. The Kinks are great though.

>the coarse skin-tight twitch of blues-rock (sealed by the obsessive beat of Densmore)
nah

>The Doors didn't bring anything new to the table
wew, name one (1) artist / band that sounded anything like The Doors before or after their existence

Fantano isn't really the best at choosing his words and some of his reviews make me go ''huh?'' but he will never be as pretentious or douche-y as Scrauffi.

buy it if you are a fan

them (van morrison's band) was very influential for the doors.

youtube.com/watch?v=WkaMVLHxzWE
youtube.com/watch?v=d7qNnyF3wtQ (jimmy page plays guitar on this one)

he didn't say it's normal to wanna fuck a 12 year old

but i am

Zeppelin is garbage.

Agreed, the only albums that aren't rated too high are L.A. Woman which is spot on and Morrison Hotel which is too low

The ratings for Strange Days and s/t should be swapped.

youtube.com/watch?v=r7PIUZRqxp0/https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLCXvrr47zE

&

youtube.com/watch?v=9FCBg3GmzQM

I'm a big Doors fan, btw.

he needed a metal album in his top albums list and I guess he thought that one was the least pleb

wtf is Newstead?

>October Rust and Bloody Kisses are rated lower
I have no doubt that Scaruffi is a cultured guy but what the fuck.

>Waiting for the Sun 7/10
Why is this guy spoken highly of or taken seriously on this board?

Not necessarily Scaruffi being wrong, but he is the only music critic to describe Faust's debut as apocalyptic poetry. I have heard many other people appreciate it but never describe it the way he does.

>-The Good Son is not even in the top 3 Nick Cave albums
I wholeheartedly agree with this. It's good, and it's and abrupt and much-needed change from him in that period, but he's done better "soft" albums.

Senile elitist

more like times OP was wrong, am I right guys?

Yep, looks like a rock fan talking about jazz alright

Amnesiac is literally better though, his mistake was rating OKC above Kid A

literally never

Trout Mask is the only time he's ever been right.

this

This

Kid A is one of the most overrated albums in existence

and I'm a big Radiohead fan

no, he should stop being autistic and give it a 10 already

I hate him for not giving King Crimson a 9/10

Instead he gave them a 8.5/10 just to fuck with everyone, fuck this guy

Listen to it mane. I don't love Swans but seriously you cannot fucking compare them by any sdtretch to animal collective, the doors or Le Zeppelin.

> W E W
> E
> W

ItCotCK is shit compared to Soft Machine - Third though.