Ween

I want to get into these guys. I like TMBG so I figured I'd get into another quirky rock duo. Where do I start?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=hUdUjuz_F5E
youtube.com/watch?v=54uG7VoLvWQ
youtube.com/watch?v=HOBoJgHwJEU
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

The Mollusk, then Chocolate and Cheese and Pure Guava. Definitely start with the Mollusk. Go anywhere after that

The Mollusk.

Alternatively, their first album and then continue chronologically.

The Pod

>Listening to the first track of the mollusk
jesus h christ am i high?

You're not getting good advice here OP. There's how to rank Ween albums objectively and then there's how to get into Ween

I strongly suggest Quebec and White Pepper for getting into Ween. If you dig those, you are ready for Mollusk and Chocolate and Cheese. If you really dig their browner side, time for The Pod. If you like the rock n roll check out God Ween Satan. If you like the folkier stuff, 12 Golden Country Greats.

But seriously OP, start with Quebec and White Pepper. Learn to laugh and cry at them. Then proceed.

Chocolate and Cheese is probably the most indicative "Ween" album but The Mollusk isn't a bad starting point either.

OP here
QUEBEC FUCKIN ROCKS RIGHT OFF THE BAT

However, I kind of liked the first songs of the Mollusk more

hell yeah bud, try to listen for the feels too, they're laced in there

Meh, I don't think there's one best way to get into Ween. Too many sounds and styles for there to be some universal path. DESU I only got into Ween after digging one or two songs off C&C, then The Mollusk, the La Cuc, until the rest finally fell into place.

I think the best route is to start somewhere in the middle of their weird>catchy spectrum, and start moving towards what attracts you more. In Ween's case, that continuum is more or less chronilogical, so start in the middle, and work backwards for more weirdness, forwards for more sweetness, and be prepared for detours along the way.

Though Caesar and unreleased comps like Shinola vol. 2 still have some of their best stuff. Never has there been a band with all of their quality stretched so evenly across a large discog. Only Elvis Costello comes close in that regard.

>I think the best route is to start somewhere in the middle of their weird>catchy spectrum, and start moving towards what attracts you more. In Ween's case, that continuum is more or less chronilogical, so start in the middle, and work backwards for more weirdness, forwards for more sweetness, and be prepared for detours along the way.

that is literally what I recommended

I'm glad I decided to get into these guys. They tickle my brain.

My bad, I stopped reading after like 3 sentences because I got bored.

I just saw them at one of the last dates on their reunion tour.

What an incredible fucking band. Played for like 3 hours while people became increasingly blissed out.

If you dive into their live catalog you will discover they are insanely accomplished musicians. If you dive into their studio albums you will find they're virtuosos of songwriting.

Quebec is great, but introductory albums should generally have a more cohesive theme. Like The Mollusk.

What did OP think of Happy Colored Marbles?

Finally got to see these guys live in September. Amazing show, I could listen to Deaner play forever.
youtube.com/watch?v=hUdUjuz_F5E

>Quebec

>Doesn't have a theme

I know the Mollusk's theme is the sea, but what's Quebec's theme? Quebec?

how about albums with good music?

>muh concept album

it's not as thinly veiled as Mollusk but there is a clear theme of lost love and substance abuse throughout Quebec, particularly as it relates to success in the music industry

Interesting. Ween is basically my favorite band and I can't stand the opener on Quebec.

Oh, so "zoloft"

Being really stressed and depressed.

it's ok to be wrong

It's the worst song on the album.

well that's not a very strong statement for an album like Quebec but I'd personally rank Among His Tribe and Captain below it. Maybe also The Fucked Jam.

>Pink eye on my leg is moaning barking dogs and synth
uhhhh

j a m s

Those are the three songs I would also consider to be the conversation of being the worst but I tolerate them slightly more.

Pink Eye is a pleb filter.

>It's the Mollusk's fitter happier
I'm on Ocean Man so I'm no pleb

S T R A P O N T H A T J A M M Y P A C

Get ready for feels in the closer

Just finished the Mollusk and I can safely say that I'm in two quirky rock duo cults, TMBG and now Ween.

Listen to Chocolate and Cheese next.

This

Now listen to this.

I G O T T A G E T A W A Y F R O M T H A T G I R L

Damn that's long.
Dubs decide what i listen to next.

Chocolate and Cheese my dude, sounds similar to the Mollusk

The Pod

white pepper

Don't fucking listen to quebec first, the beauty of it is how depressing it is while still managing to be a Ween album, which you won't be able to grasp without listening to their other shit.

12 golden country greats

I just listened to The Mollusk fist buddy I posted that

Quebec

AND SLLLLLLLLLLIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIDE A DOUBLE DIME MAAAAAAAH WAAAAAAAAAAAYYYY

GodWeenSatan

Craters of the Sac

If that's too much for you you're in for a rude awakening my friend.

I'm so brown that the pure guava wasn't enough for me. GWS and Pod are unbeatable low-fi titans.

Not really just kinda caught me off guard

>GWS
>More brown than Pure Guava

Did we listen to the same albums friend?

youtube.com/watch?v=54uG7VoLvWQ

First impressions for favorite/least favorite song on The Mollusk?

My inner pleb says my fav track was Ocean Man, but my favorite track was probably I'll be your Jonny.
Least? Gee... they were all great... It's Gonna Be Alright probably.

I'll just listen to CAC

>Among His Tribe
That's literally the best song on the album though. And Captain is fantastic. The Fucked Jam is the only contender for worst track.

>I'm doin the best I can dada
what did they mean by this?

>The Fucked Jam
>Worst track

Absolutely perfect follow up track to I Don't Want It, they always follow an emotional track with a brown masterpiece.

It's just the same thing over and over again. Sure, it may be enjoyable but there is no possible way it isn't the worst on the album. It's highly unnecessary.

>He didn't decipher the lyrics

ultimate plen

Morning Glory is legit but it's all. The whole album felt like a Pod's leftover and Stallion pt3 proof it.

I think the mollusk was enough ween for today. Ill hunker down and listen to herbie hancock but ill still discuss w/ u guys

well maybe ill listen to some more
lets come to a consensus, guys.

stfu and put on Quebec

Zoloft, not unlike the drug, was very calming.

Happy Colored Marbles

It's an extremely dark song

Is that a meme on Quebec I haven't gotten to?

it's a really good song on quebec you haven't gotten to

The Mollusk or White Pepper, easily. Then Quebec if you are into more "serious" music, then Chocolate and Cheese and Pure Guava and the rest when you feel ready.

that are rolling in my head

Relisten to it.
Or at least your favorite tracks.
I get it, you didn't like it or found it too weird on your first listen, just say it.
youtube.com/watch?v=HOBoJgHwJEU
You'll get used to it. And then you might end up enjoying their work significantly more than you ever did TMBG
Ween are the most fun band I know of.

Goodnight Sup Forums
thank you for getting me into them.
I'll finish Quebec tomorrow I'm tired asf

>Least? Gee... they were all great... It's Gonna Be Alright probably.
w
e
w

Among his Tribe is a great song, but it drags down the pacing on repeat listens.
That's my only problem with quebec and even then it's not really a problem: The Slower tracks drag down the pacing in a way they never did on The Mollusk.

I disagree, I think the faster songs are more out of place than the slower ones.