Is this accurate?

Is this accurate?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=stgrSjynPKs
arthistoryunstuffed.com/death-of-the-avant-garde/
thefreedictionary.com/generic
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Those kind of people don't really bother me if they are between 12 and 16 years old.
It only really gets embarassing if someone is 20 years and older and still this much of a retard.

needs more bubblegum bass

the >metal starter pack

>mac demarco
>folk

AHAHAHAH

nah

Pretty accurate

I just enjoy music, you guys. Sorry for enjoying to Sufjan and Godspeed, I guess i'm just a pitchfork drone.

the image is right. met a girl who told me she was really into folk but only knew mac demarco,father john misty and suffy boi

you are and nothing is wrong with that. just don't be smug about it bb

>mac demarco,father john misty
>folk
just because people are mongs that don't know what genres artists are does not make those artists that genre

>grimes
>swans
>animal collective

>avant garde
what the fuck???? literally two of the poppiest artists of today and one that should be under post rock.

never said they were. I was just confirming that they are people who label them as such

>Avant-garde: Grimes
>Mainstream pop star

>being this much by an image
Is this a bait or you just that much of hypocrite? She literally repeated AnCo's story with less amount of albums.

this much affected*

where's her noise and folk album?

Why didn't you ask where's her neo-psychedelia album as well? She repeated it in terms of accessibility and normie appeal, not in terms of particular genres.

>judging artists' discographies by their latest albums

People who refuse to realize that music is garbage now are the worst type of drones
>inb4 le wrong generation go listen to zeplin dad xD

>Replying to bait posts seriously
Why?

you said story and albums. How was I supposed to know you weren't referring to music?

>accessibility of music is not criteria of music

I guess it is but its based on subjectivity on what people find "accessible"

>caring about genre

wow what a pleb

People are allowed to like what they like, stop acting like a dick about it

whats wrong with liking different sounds?

Painfully accurate

every time this stupid shit crops up not a single person realizes that the reason "music used to be better" is because nobody bothers most of the bad shit

ask your parents about leif garrett

>tfw poptimists have basically taken over mainstream music criticism so now its the time for now contrarian dadrock fags to rise in edgy Sup Forums

GYBE is good though

Listen to her early albums, pleb. They're avant-garde/experimental. And her more recent albums are avant-garde pop. Nobody else did her kind of music. Prove me wrong.

>having a problem with other people's taste
Get a life asshole.

/THREAD

extremely good post, and very accurate

you missed out the quotation marks around "Avant-garde" you avant-retard

>no one did this kind of music
>that means its avant-garde/experimental

Honestly people call Sufjan folk but it's barely applicable
C&L isn't folk at all. Age of Adz is possibly one of the furthest things from it. Some of Illinois is folkish but just barely, and his earlier albums are pretty much just singer-songwriter albums with maybe a folkish tint.

Indeed. If now one else has done that before it means it's unique.

>avantgarde: the advance group in any field, especially in the visual, literary, or musical arts, whose works are characterized chiefly by unorthodox and experimental methods.

>inb4 triggered

>Folk: Soof, Cig Man
dropped

Can't wait for this tbqh

this avant garde also youtube.com/watch?v=stgrSjynPKs

Who the fuck is this lesbian and how tight is her pussy?

I think he was trying to mock people who think their avant-garde

No because Sufjan is talented

I thought I was the only one who found it strange that Sup Forums likes Kanye and Grimes, they are not bad, but fucking generic. Sufjan Stevens' Illinois was super comfy and creative, but for some reason I couldn't listen to the whole thing in one sitting without getting bored, and it was not the case with ITAOTS. Which is strange, because Sufjan is much more talented musically than NMH.

Be nice to Grimes

>Grimes
>generic
I understand how you may think she's shit, but "generic" is really irrelevant.

Yes, I can see people getting mad about this.

>they are not bad, but fucking generic.
The word 'generic' implies that something is barely distinguishable from many other alternatives (which is about as un-true as it can possibly be for these two particular artists, given how immediately identifiable their respective sounds are.)

Certain things not happening to suit your particular musical tastes (which is perfectly fine btw - taste IS subjective) doesn't mean it's generic.

The avant-garde is dead you fucking poser

the avant-post is still alive and kicking though

no it isn't

oh

arthistoryunstuffed.com/death-of-the-avant-garde/

interesting article thanks for linking, don't agree with all the writer's points but i think they're broadly right about art losing its 'shock value' as it were

>I thought I was the only one who found it strange that Sup Forums likes Kanye and Grimes, they are not bad, but fucking generic
>grimes, generic
>triggered
Generic, my ass. Name a similar artist to Grimes. Nobody who called her generic fucking named a proper similar artist so far. Do you even know what generic means?

thefreedictionary.com/generic

Avant-garde is a spatial analogy for art movements. So long as there exists a prevailing focal point of style for a given art form (eg. oft-maligned "mainstream pop music") the avant-garde is alive and well.

And no - being "completely new and unique" is NOT a prerequisite to something being avant-garde, as this author ( arthistoryunstuffed.com/death-of-the-avant-garde/ ) implies. Avant-garde things are those which both differ significantly in some way from the prevailing mainstream AT THE TIME OF THEIR CREATION and prove to be accurate predictors of where the mainstream ends in the near future. Hence why truly avant-garde things are only recognized in retrospect.

go fuck yourself
worst trip

Avant-garde is a spatial analogy for art movements. So long as there exists a prevailing focal point of style for a given art form (eg. oft-maligned "mainstream pop music") the avant-garde is alive and well.

And no - being "completely new and unique" is NOT a prerequisite to something being avant-garde, as this author ( arthistoryunstuffed.com/death-of-the-avant-garde/ ) implies. Avant-garde things are those which both differ significantly in some way from the prevailing mainstream AT THE TIME OF THEIR CREATION and prove to be accurate predictors of where the mainstream ends up in the near future. Hence why truly avant-garde things are only recognizable in retrospect, and why moderately-smart people are so prone to pronouncing such things "dead" when studying current history.

>implying you're not
seriously are you implying you aren't? if you're going to be a casual and listen to basic shit why do you have to ruin this music board for everyone else?

t. butthurt teen poptimist

>I just enjoy music,
no you don't same with that garbage like world is a beautiful place, and LCD Soundsystem
only respected because of bitchfork shilling.
>which is about as un-true as it can possibly be for these two particular artists, given how immediately identifiable their respective sounds are
funny

Kanye has been a cookie cutter nigger rapper since 808s.

I hate Kanye because he really is just edgy shit for college fags but I like a lot of the other artists mentioned here.

I really don't get why you have to either like modern music or old music.
shouldn't it just be about it sounding to your liking?

>Kanye has been a cookie cutter [unnecessary expletive omitted] rapper since 808s.
So you're openly admitting that he wasn't BEFORE then...

>I really don't get why you have to either like modern music or old music.
You don't. Anyone who says otherwise is just looking to start an argument out of boredom.

>[unnecessary expletive omitted]
What a cuck

kanye's gone through different points in his career where he could be considered generic
his first two albums sound pretty dated and like most other conscious midwest hip-hop albums at the time, and with yeezus he hopped on the industrial bandwagon hard so that could be considered generic
but then he's got MBDTF which is the opposite of generic, and that's the Sup Forumscore one, the one people listen to when they first get on Sup Forums, so you won't find many calling him generic

Imo why resort to using/repeating unnecessary swear words, hate speech or insults when you can just manipulate trolls like you into doing it for you?

>zeplin
Okay, even if you do realize that music today is shit for the most part, you've got to admit that Zeppelin is pretty shit.
The Who did it way better.