Top 5 Prog Epics?

What do you think are the top 5 best Prog Tracks? (10+ minutes)
>Close to the Edge
>Supper's Ready
>Starless
>Echoes
>Thick as a Brick

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=5WcksBIuE5A
youtube.com/watch?v=OkW_ekeAiII
youtu.be/NIeO4IAhpGM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>Rush- 2112
>Magma - De Futura
>Thick as a Brick
>Echoes
>Can - Soup

The Gates of Delirium
Echoes
Starless
Tarkus
Lady Fantasy

Close to the Edge
The Herald
Echoes
Djed
Living In the Heart of the Beast

Close to the Edge
Ommadawn
A Plague of Lighthouse Keepers
Shine On You Crazy Diamond
Anesthetize

Rush - Cygnus X-1 Book II
Jethro Tull - Thick as a Brick
King Crimson - Starless
Amon Duul II - Phallus Dei
Henry Cow - Living In the Heart of the Beast

Bonus:
The Mars Volta - Cicatriz Esp

Why Gates of Delirium? What did that track accomplish that was more intense, powerful, and effective than Close to the Edge? Because to me the Gates of Delirium is just another instance of Yes wasting their creative prime chasing something that they were capable of only once instead of focusing their energy on something that was more earth based and attainable. They could have potentially topped Close to the Edge had they not made such an overt effort to do that. By the time they got more focused with Going For the One it was too late, they should have been doing that in '73 and '74.

I second this, I only just heard GoD though and I ll give it a few more listens to grow on me
CttE impressed me at first and grew on me but it had more moments that caught my ear on first listen ie the gorgeous riff that comes in after the first section, "now that it's all over and done" transition, "I get up I get DOWWWWWWN".

I have two of these on my list but haven't heard the other 3 so I'd like to try 'em. I can't seem to find The Herald though (some trashy kesha song keepa coming up instead), who is the artist?

Comus.

Not the best, but my favourites:
Supper's Ready
Starless
The Musical Box
Xanadu
Voices("but user, it's only 9:53 minutes long!", then pretend I wrote octameme instead, sperglord)

artists of last two ?

Caravan - Nine Feet Underground
Pink Floyd - Dogs
Pink Floyd - Echoes
Porcupine Tree - Anesthetize
Porcupine Tree - Time Flies [inb4 'it's a rip off of Dogs' (it sort of is)]

Rush and Dream Theater

Off the top of my head:

>Moon In June
>Starless
>Nine Feet Underground
>Close To The Edge
>Supper's Ready

Well, I'm going to be the cheater here since two songs on my list are 8 minutes long and one of them is Progressive Electronic.

Erk Gah
Drip Drip
Clara Crocodilo
King Kong VI
Friedemann Bach

>Anesthetize
>not The Sky Moves Sideways or Moonloop
youtube.com/watch?v=5WcksBIuE5A

I could never get into the pre-Relayer works of the band, sorry. As you may have noticed my knowledge of the genre is pretty shallow.

Genesis - Supper's Ready
Mike Oldfield - Ommadawn
Renaissance - Song of Scheherazade
Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Karn Evil 9
Big Big Train - The Underfall Yard

I mean Sky Moves Sideways is indeed their best album but I will agree Anesthetize is also good, any other PT choice is basically wrong though.

>not Ludwig II. von Bayern

Gates of Delirium is basically if Yes took CttE, made it heavier, and based it on literature. its not as great as CttE is, but it's still pretty close.

>its not as great as CttE is, but it's still pretty close.
Yeah, it's Close to The Edge

CARLOS

>post yfw Willow Farm

>Rush - Cygnus X-1 Book II
> Jethro Tull - Thick as a Brick
good taste

>mfw Apocalypse in 9/18

Larks tongue pt 1
Echoes
Lady fantasy
Facelift
Soap shop rock

Lark's and Lady Fantasy are both great picks I've heard but aren t on my list. Lark's pt1 is not an easy listen and I think it is all over the place in structure and could have been condensed but the first explosion of the riff shocks me with how much energy it has, then the kick ass groove that follows

top 10 groove for sure

Close to the Edge was heavily influenced by Siddhartha, the themes and structure of the album match that book.

>ctrl+f Hallehuwah
>no results
>ctrl+f Krautrock
>no results
C'mon Sup Forums, you can do better than this

>Soap shop rock
Nice

U.K. - Carrying No Cross
King Crimson - Fracture
Yes - Starship Trooper
Genesis - Dance on a Volcano
ELP - Fanfare for the Common Man

Hallehuwah didn't interest me at first, but it keeps growing on me everytime I listen to it. Now I think it's the best drum beat of all time. I wouldn't put it in my top 5 though because it doesn't have a variety of diverse sections and is essentially built around one (albeit kickass) beat. That's just my preference though.

Yes to Fracture and Starship Trooper. Started trying to play the former on guitar last week, it will probably take at least a year before I can play it clean. That riff (and song) is one of the most intense things I've heard

Was it? I always thought Siddhartha was what influenced Tales from Topographic Oceans?

the bass sound is so weird and funky, then fripps leads and the violin parts are just mystical sounding, while the whole time bruford is cycling through different timings without missing a beat. Its so complex and classically influenced but its heavy and groovy enough for rock listeners

Don't forget Muir, man. Dude was magical.

>Heart of the Sunrise
>Lady Fantasy
>The Musical Box
>Dogs
>Awaken

>I could never get into the pre-Relayer works of the band, sorry.

this is the first time I have ever heard of this

>tfw you feel your soul ignite

Muir was great, i forgot to mention how dreamlike the chimes at the beginning feel. I wonder what red and starless & bible black couldve sounded like with his crazy improv percussion on fracture, great deceiver, starless or red.

All this is doing is reminding me that I can't catch the Anderson Wakeman Rabin tour next Saturday in order to save my uni grades.

>mfw I just picked up TAAB in the original packaing for 8 bux

I mean, it's not even a rare album - shit, my dad has it. But it's still pretty fucking neato.

Weirdest opinion I've seen all day.

>Can - Halleluwah
>Genesis - Supper's Ready
>Van der Graaf Generator - A Plague of Lighthouse Keepers
>Jethro Tull - Thick as a Brick
>Magma - De Futura

It's hard narrowing it down but I think that's mine. It's hard leaving out Yes and Soft Machine.

Despite the imitation I honestly feel like as a whole this beats out some of the prog classics.
It's just so solid, and has pretty much infinite relisten value.

>The Mars Volta - Cassandra Gemini
>Rush - 2112
>Yes - Close to The Edge
>Mastodon - Hearts Alive (fuck you, it's prog)
>Tool - The Grudge

Not enough Genesis in this thread.

Genesis - Temple of Salmacis
Genesis - Watcher of the Skies
Emerson Lake & Palmer - Take a Pebble
Emerson Lake & Palmer - Trilogy
Pink Floyd - Shine on you Crazy Diamond

Some of my fav's

TMV are the only "nu prog" band who even approach being as good as the classics so I agree.

It think it's because they weren't necessarily trying to be prog. Their only real "prog" influences are King Crimson, Zappa, and Floyd and all of those manifest in ways that aren't as obvious as one would think.

Fantastic taste user.

Thanks man. I never really though about Soft Machine until a couple weeks ago, but I realized how important they were as soon as I heard them about two weeks ago right when I heard Third and Volume Two, those are very magnificent albums.

Does "Metropolis Part 1" by Dream Theater count?

>Take a Pebble
good EL&P pick, I like Karn Evil 9 best but their first album is their best overall, I liked it back when Lake's bass was a lot more present.

It's a shame ELP doesn't get more attention on Sup Forums, their self-titled is a 10/10 album.

>CttE
>Bel Air
>Soap Shop Rock (All 4 parts)
>Facelift
>Supper's Ready

I guess its a shame, but while I have been binging the band recently myself, I don't think it's hard to see why the band thats often the black sheep of 70s prog doesn't get much attention here.

Did you read the entire newspaper yet?

cant believe i forgot about bel air, jaki's beats are like proto hip hop

dont die on me

> Genesis - Supper's Ready
> Van der Graaf - Man Erg
> Camel - Lady Fantasy
> Yes - CttE

AND PLEASE IF ANY OF YOU LIKE PROG LISTEN TO:

>Harmonium - Histoires Sans Paroles

Haven't seen this album or band on here. This last track is mental. Honestly up there with any of the other greats I mentioned. Not as 'proggy' perhaps, but prog folk is close enough.

baker street muse by tull
and of course suppers ready and musical box by Genesis cant be left out

>dance on a volcano
YES!

Trick of the tail is best album ever made desu, every song is absolutely brilliant in its own way.

Thick as a Brick
Close to the edge
Toccata
Alucard
Shine on you crazy diamond

youtube.com/watch?v=OkW_ekeAiII

have some Tull in 60fps lads

Close to the Edge
Midnight Mushrumps
Lizard
Moon in june
Thick as a brick

I thought the definition of prog epic was a 20+ minute song? Some of you are posting regular songs

>Gates of Delirium
>Supper's Ready
>Cygnus X-1 Book II
>And You And I
>A Very Cellular Song

I sort of like Wind & Wuthering's tone over Tail, but it's just not as consistent in its quality. A real shame.

I'll fight anyone who doesn't like Works vol I. I know it's not exactly 'ELP' but fuck man it has some of my favorite tracks by them.

Eloy - Poseidon's Creation
youtu.be/NIeO4IAhpGM

Gentle Giant - Acquiring the Taste
Eloy - Ocean
ELP - Brain Salad Surgery
Gentle Giant - Missing Piece
Jethro Tull - Thick as a Brick

Some bad taste in this thread ffs

low effort bait

Let's hear yours.

>Bel Air
Nice.

Sweet Smoke - Baby Night
Sweet Smoke - Kundalini
Caravan - For Richard
If - What Did I say About the Box Jack?
Gypsy- As Far as you Can See, As Much as You Can Feel

If you have anything by ELP or King Crimson after the first 2 albums you have objectively shit taste. Same for renaissance or post peter Gabriel genesis. Etc.

Out-Bloody-Rageous
Ommadawn part 1
Halleluhwah
Supper's Ready
Facelift

Also if you have any pink Floyd song after Meddle.

Supper's Ready
Tubular Bells
Turn of a Friendly Card
Thick as a Brick
Heart of the Sunrise

War
Living In the Heart of the Beast
Beginning: The Long March
Beautiful As the Moon - Terrible As an Army With Banners
Morning Star

You should at least put some effort in.

>Close to the Edge
>Through Different Eyes
>Suppers Ready
>Death Room
>Echoes

You know I'm right, nerd. You can pretend to like triumvirate but we all know you just listened to that shit once while playing dota and you really listen to Kendrick Llamar.

>If you have anything by ELP or King Crimson after the first 2 albums you have objectively shit taste. Same for renaissance or post peter Gabriel genesis.
So no Islands, Larks Tongues, Starless, Red or Discipline.
No Trick of the Tail, Wind or Wuthering or Duke.
You're fucking retarded.

>Duke
heh

That's more like it.
8/10