Any Sup Forumstards here who practise a combat sport?

Any Sup Forumstards here who practise a combat sport?

I'm out of shape and want to get started on some combat sport, maybe boxing or muay thai. Any tips for a complete beginner? Is it better if I get fit first through weight training or just go for it?

Also, if you compete please tell us how long it took between when you first started training and your first fight/tournament.

Just go for it. You do not need weight training at first. Try to improve your stamina. I had my first grappling match in Jiu Jitsu and i can tell you that the lack of endurance is the main reason people get tapped or get kicked in the face during a tournament. I also do Karate but i hate the way they fight so i have no interest in competing there.It took me 2 years to get to a level where i can compete. But im still losing all the time. My main problem is endurance. If you want to improve your combat skills muay thai and boxing are excellent sports.

I do kick boxing and i was out of shape too. Just go for it, worked fine for me

Bumping I want to get in shape too

Been an MMA sparring lover since I first stepped into the octagon. I was always a kind of heavy hitter, and MMA just feels the most natural in terms of ways to fight. Absolutely love the sport and it's fun as hell.

As for before hand, it's a plus to have at least some basic balance and agility practices down. Looking online of nice workouts can help. Other than that, it's all natural, and have fun! You'll burn calories like hell training, and sparring makes a ton of cool, respectable friends.

Do you run out of breath too quickly in the matches, is that your main problem?

Did you start with MMA or did you do some other specific art before?
And do you compete often?

Samefag here, also wanna point out something said.

You're going to lose a lotta matches. It doesn't mean you're not getting better or starting on your way up. And you don't compete to win, you compete to test yourself.

I started MMA when I was rather young. Ever since 13 I had punching bags, but MMA was the first real "official" styke I learned.

As fir competing, maybe once a week, maybe more or less. All depends on who's intirested as where I train its all mostly improv fights between buddies.

ah cool, so you do mostly competition within your own gym?
I'm from florida and I was told there's a lot of rivalry between fighters in amateur mma, but maybe that's something just specific to my state.

One more thing since Im gonna take a nice shit and play CS:GO. It's 70% mindset. If you go into MMA thinking "I'm gonna tear some shit up and have a fuck load of fun!" Then you're going to do just that. Not only in the octagon but with whatever sparring you choose. Best of luck and fun to ya. Hope you enjoy whichever sparring sport you choose.

I used to practice capoeira. It's fun and you'll get some exercise from it

wing chun

And as for the gym it was a place I practically grew up in as well. All stuff is hosted there. Rivalry is complete BS. Sparring with respect for the other person and knowing you're gonna have fun is way better than the rivalry spars. Unsure, but I'm in Pennsylvania. Everybody's friends here.

why did you stop practising?

I wouldn't say you need to get fit before it since all the ones I've done (boxing, kickboxing, Krav Maga) have pretty good exercise routines every class. They can be intense though I'll admit, so if you don't have much stamina maybe do a little cardio before starting.

As for the actual fighting they generally don't put you in the ring until you move up a few grades, but you will do sparring with light contact. They put you with people at your level so you'll be fine there too.

TL:DR, go for it. Fun and useful, plus looks good when going for a job.

I'm doing krav maga at the moment, 8 months in. Joined cause I mainly wanted to lose weight and get fit but it's also helping my discipline tenfold... I've stopped drinking like a moron when I get depressed, no longer on benzos for sleep issues either.

Just give everything a try. I started out boxing and didn't do so well, then I found Jiu Jitsu and Muay Thai and fell in love with those. That led to a decently solid string of competitions in Boxing, Jitz, Muay Thai, and of course MMA for over 10 years for me.

Most gyms have a trial membership or drop in fee, just get your feet wet. Just see what you like. Don't rush the competition until you've trained a whole lot and know you're going to get your ass beat in the gym (in a loving team way) every day but as long as you show up you'll get better and better. Don't wait to start training, just do it. It's the best way.

Shop around local gyms/dojos/whathaveyou and check our their trial memberships or drop in fees. Do some classes and see what happens. It's good for you.

10 years? holy shit you must be built like a brickhouse

Not really. I've always been tall and lean. I fought at 125 and 135. I'm in shape but I wouldn't say brick shit house status haha

This kind of thing doesn't really build you up, that's more lifting. Does make you agile and still keeps you fit though.

do you compete in both gi and no gi? is there much of a difference in them in terms of difficulty?

Yeah I did both. Normally trained in Gi. I wasn't a fan of Gi because again I'm kind of small so alot of my game got shut down by the big strong fuckers who also knew what they were doing. No gi allowed me to be slippery and catch more people. I definitely liked No gi better but I felt Gi made me sharper as a fighter.

what belt did you get to? when i watch no gi fights they definitely seem faster paced, and rules seem to be more lax too

Only a blue. I haven't competed much in jitz or tested for stripes or promotion in awhile. Usually when I train jitz anymore it'll only be no gi since I don't fight anymore. I focus more on my standup and strenght and conditioning these days.

How useful are martial arts in street fights? Anyone had experience with that?

It's subjective to the situation. I'd argue training is always better than no training, most dudes without training get absolutely tooled that way, but no one is invincible even with training. Still just as easy to get KOed by a wild haymaker.