/prod/ - Music Production General

Upload WIPs on clyp.it/

GIVE feedback and RECEIVE feedback.

>ATTENTION!
DO NOT post Soundcloud, YouTube or any other links where you are not anonymous (unless somebody asks you for it). That is considered self promotion and will usually result in a bad feedback.

Ableton tutorials
youtube.com/watch?v=rrWNpA4Oao4
youtube.com/watch?v=AFXDvz2c2DQ

Link to /prod/ pasta if you have any constructive contributions
docs.google.com/document/d/1fhi1lp-DpAZieQa5cpe5v9zCBS02VDa18ln80Rd_6N0/edit

Other urls found in this thread:

clyp.it/pnpch0ty
clyp.it/sojlqdbc
vid.me/NA9h
clyp.it/hxf25tr5
clyp.it/s3idzjky
clyp.it/dhvdfji4
youtu.be/3j3VL70JpBo?t=7929
clyp.it/2rstyaqa
getdawsandvsts.com/
clyp.it/5vev3zky
clyp.it/1j0eepfe
clyp.it/bmdhr4mh
soundcloud.com/signal-gul/burster-step
clyp.it/bltkjt21
bestservice.de/en/forest_kingdom_ii.html
clyp.it/tmaf5kzh
clyp.it/4wcuxwph
clyp.it/ieijivji
clyp.it/itjuwi05
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

which daw is better dub turbo or dr drum

ms paint

>ms paint
>still no layers

Anybody going to take advantage of the Studio One 3 Professional crossgrade for $200 this month?

I'm on the fence, since reaper works pretty well for me, but Studio One is really cool too.

So I posted this in the last thread, but wasn't told if I was doing this right. Is this a thing, does it sound ok, or is it too boring because it uses a total of three chords.
clyp.it/pnpch0ty

I like it, but yeah it sounds pretty repetitive. There shouldn't be a problem with three chords, plenty of music has been considered "good" with only three chords. I'd say your main problem is having the same melody throughout, which kinda makes it boring. If this is just sort of a jumping off point, then I don't think its too bad, but it's definitely not a finished kinda thing if that's what you're asking.

How do I sound like Aphex Twin?

Alright lads, first time on here. How am I doing
clyp.it/sojlqdbc
Still not mixed or mastered except for some eq on the drums

>wasn't told if I was doing this right
> wasn't told if I was doing this right

HERE WE ARE GOING, LADIES AND GENTS.

Buy a guitar

I've heard that ableton is standard for producers but I create the quickest with mascons and really like the ease of it. Can I continue using maschine or do I have to switch eventually?

sort of a weird almost non music thing im working on but i'd like to know if this style is worth working with
vid.me/NA9h

i've figured out how to convert the data in audio files to video, but there's a lot of tailoring of the audio to make the effects noticeable, like filtering out all of the instruments through a low pass filter. the vidme link is a test done with ring a bell bc i have the stems for it, but i'd soon be applying this to my own music

tldr i made a cool thing and want to know if i'm the only person who thinks its cool

Reposting from last thread.

clyp.it/hxf25tr5

Please give some feedback.

Dear \dorp\
Can you think of any good musical gifts around the $200 mark?

Don't buy /prod/ gifts unless you are 100% sure what the person wants.

how do I into 70s/80s psych pop chords

>not into hardware
>see monomachine
>looks cool
>1200€

hardware is ridiculous how much it costs to get somethinig good

>release album
>first track 1 milion plays
>second track 10 000 plays
>third track 100 plays
>eight track 5 plays
Really makes you think.

well if the first few songs are bad why listen to the rest

that piece+Machinedrum is pretty much The Knife in a box

Can some one please hook me up with some good jazz-hip-hop drum samples?

synth comes in way too loud at 1:11, the effects in the second half are clipping

plz r8
clyp.it/s3idzjky

Hey guys, made this today.

Wondering if anyone could give some feedback?
It's unfinished and the clip will stop abruptly, but just need a 2nd or 3rd set of ears.

thanks!

clyp.it/dhvdfji4

the idea is there, but seems a little busy and loud. like too many things are trying to be front and centre all at one, hope that helps.

Why does everyone only make video game music?

I didnt

I was literally listening to that while typing my post

ah okay, what video game does it remind you of?
i never play video games so I'm curious now

wrong reply

Sup prodsters! Just copped these today and they are sooo so nice. Fuckin' chuffed.

Anyone else get any new toys lately? What's on your Christmas list? I don't often gearfag-out but today's one o' those days.

The specific track I think of is youtu.be/3j3VL70JpBo?t=7929

but if you take out the "yeah"'s it could be straight out of almost any jungle level in a 2D game

>not getting KM184's.

jk man, just being a dick. those are expensive as fuck. my friend has a pair and i always borrow them - you can't get a better sound than km184!

I don't really see the resemblance, but thanks for the feedback.

I was going for a big bass festival music type song that would get a crowd going.

>Christmas list
summer went so fast
2000 was 96 years ago

Would a pocket recorder be any good for vocal recordings?

I moastly ust them in omni mode so I would be using the KM183s, but yeah that's like $2200 American for a pair. They are sooo good though. I have a long list of mics I would like to have but I'm astounded at how good these C4s sound. I always figured my eventual upgrade would be to a pair of Rode NT55s, but honestly I don't think it's worth it anymore. These babies give the Rodes a run for their money, and at least in regards to on-axis response, the Neumanns too!

Man every March I get all spring fevery and it takes forever for summer to get here and I promise myself to do EVERYTHING and make the summer the best ever... and then like 1/5 of the shit gets done and it's all cold and bleak again.

almost certainly not. what recorder?

atleast it gets cold where you live i have to deal with 9-10 months of summer and 2-3 months where it gets maybe 50 degrees farenheit

And time only passes by faster as you get older.

You down souf? And yeah I like the seasons a lot up nawth. Moving to Straya in a couple months so it's gonna be all different.

And vice versa user.

yea south texas like 2 hours from mexico

Noice. Any good wildlife ambience out there worth recording? Locusts or frogs or such?

yea there are loud insects and frogs or toads at night and coyotes howl sometimes

in the day there is a few woodpeckers that are loud when they hit the wood and other kinds of birds

First thing I've ever made in a DAW. How am I doing?

clyp.it/2rstyaqa

Anyone know if this website is legit?
Seems too good to be true and it has all the flags of being dodgy (multiple download files, 0 reviews).
But I just really want it to be legit

getdawsandvsts.com/

Looks fake, just torrent

i think its not legit because cubase 8 doesnt have a cracked version and they say they have it for download

That's cool. I love recording stuff like that. I've basically run out of stuff to record in New England, with a few rare exceptions. Gotta start traveling!

>spend a week working full out on a piece on a DAW
>girl says its okay

>spend literally 2minutes noodling on piano
>girl loves it

:/

>girl

>caring what girls think

You probably use abletoshit, girls DESERVE mono, something ableton users can't provide.

problem?

>asking a half-man (female) for critique

Yeah I used FL once and caught mono, I was out of school for a week :/ totally ruined my street cred

step aside kiddo

You can use what ever the fuck you like. I've not used my proper DAW since buying Maschine either. I find it much more fun. Kinda hoping N.I don't turn it into a proper DAW.

Ignore the FL kiddies here. Ableton is a solid DAW and especially Ableton 9 has taken them to the top of the game. However if you can make something good in maschine, go for it.

clyp.it/5vev3zky

do da MOMBA :~)

>"I don’t really go on the internet, it’s like a ouija board, it’s like letting someone into your head, behind your eyes. It lets randoms in."
- burial

i want to die

clyp.it/1j0eepfe

thoughts? meant to be more of a turnup track than anything

Simplistic trash trap. Apply yourself or stop trying.

clyp.it/bmdhr4mh

tried to go for some weird boombap shit
any thoughts?

soundcloud.com/signal-gul/burster-step

PLEASE GIVE ME THE FEEDBACK

you fucking absolute retard, stop posting soundcloud links in the fucking production thread you fucking mongoloid retard

KYS

STOP jesus christ

Girls are the worse person to ever ask for feedback.

For one, girls don't understand sound design, or music in general; they just don't. Secondly they are going to fall into one of two categories:

a) Girls who say anything you make is good in order to gainer favors and complements to fuel the endless circle jerk that is their lives.

b) Girls that say everything you make is bad because they are too insecure with themselves to admit they have no understanding of what they are listening too, and the addition of someone personally around them that is better at them in something would only devalue their own self worth.

Had a GF once that fell into the ladder. Tested by one day making her listen to a song that she was jamming out to a music festival before, only for her to tell me it was shit after I lied and said I made it. Then I had her listen to another piece and told her it was by a popular producer, and she said it was really fucking good, but it was actually one of mine.

Girls ain't nothing but tricks.

Decent track, loving those percussions man

Sounds like it wants to go into a psychadelic vibe.

around 2:05 onwards needs work. The theme for the dropping triangle hits is stale if you use it too many times. Im guessing that was just because you have not figured out how to finish it from there.

mongoloid? why do you think like that?

>Had a GF once that fell into the ladder. Tested by one day making her listen to a song that she was jamming out to a music festival before, only for her to tell me it was shit after I lied and said I made it. Then I had her listen to another piece and told her it was by a popular producer, and she said it was really fucking good, but it was actually one of mine.

>Had a GF once that fell into the ladder

ouch

clyp.it/bltkjt21
looking for tips specifically on the kicks that come in around half way through. feel free to give criticism (as harsh as you can) on anything else, but the kicks are the reason I'm posting today

--------

Was going to give feedback to the posters who had done the same, but it seems nobody did that before posting their own... Don't wanna be a hypocrite so I guess I'll reward their laziness

enjoying this, I think the hi-hat or whatever it is could do with some variation, and it seems like new elements come into it exactly when I guessed they might. I suppose that's what some people would consider a good thing, but personally I think it'd be better if it was a little more unpredictable

again I enjoyed listening to this. really liked when the drums came in halfway through. think you could use some melodic/non-percussive element with higher frequencies

if that really is your first clip ever then congrats, great start. even if you've used a preset for the synth (amazing job if not, but even if you have I think that's fine whilst you get your head around other elements), good job on the filter automation. keep it up, not much constructive criticism I can give as it's a bit short.

Hey /prod/ just thought I'd let you all know that protools have just released a free version called " Pro Tools First". It looks pretty minimal but might be a good start for some beginners in these threads.

hmmm

At least it has mono

Well its free so I guess its like a trial version. Like I said if you are just starting out then I'm sure that will be just fine. You could probably bounce down those 16 tracks to one track and have 15 more tracks to use if its a problem

later on it says you can't bounce tracks

>record audio out
>import audio to new track
theres always a simple work around. Like I've said I'm not recommending this to producers that already have a preferred DAW or need advanced functions, but to beginners as an option. When you start out you probably won't need more than 16 tracks.

>Was going to give feedback to the posters who had done the same, but it seems nobody did that before posting their own...
This is pretty much why I never post feedback here anymore.

Also a first time DAW user. There is a lot that I'm struggling with, but thankfully my girls are well insulated against assailing ladders.

1. As a piano player, anything I do just seems so robotic, I'm sure there are techniques to overcome this, but I always just played on feel, no idea what jazz looks like on a piano roll.

2. What's wrong with FL? What'd I do?

3. Good instruments and VSTs are a pain to find. Surely someone's made an archive or something right? Especially want: bestservice.de/en/forest_kingdom_ii.html

Anyway, have a listen: clyp.it/tmaf5kzh

Musically it's fine, but yeah those sounds are god awful. The sad thing is it's pretty much impossible to get good sounding instruments without paying I've found.

Did you play that in or just edit it into the piano roll?

Piano roll all the way. Don't have a decent mike.

sounds like midi

Okay, then one thing I noticed as a piano player, when I use my digital keyboard to play in music, especially chords, is the various velocities you get that you didn't realise. It sounds like on your track all the velocities are the same.

clyp.it/4wcuxwph

What I would say is turn down the the middle notes of the chords a bit, this tends to be how people naturally play chords. With the melody as well, try and vary the velocities to get natural rises and falls. Again notes tend to be louder on the beats, and at the top of melodies

TO demonstrate I just played in a piece of music, then I replicated it but made all the velocities the same. Specifically the chords sound harsher.

I'm working on a fugue:
clyp.it/ieijivji

but its more composition than production. There wasn't really any "production" involved, and such is the case with most of the stuff I write these days, so I dont usually post here.

Literally 90% of these threads are triphop shithop beats though

Thanks, it does make some difference.

I being one of those people, but VST I'm using sucks. Guess $ can at least be remedied, can't get payed in talent :(

you know with all dem filters, effects, envelopes etc etc you can p much do anything even with a sucky vst

Yeah but I suck at producing... can't we just have a computer piano that everyone can use? From the people who made microsoft sam.

Anybody know where I can get the Spitfire HZ01 pack? Or something else that's big and cinematic...

clyp.it/itjuwi05

What genre of music did I just make here? Genuinely curious.

Daft Reznor Elevator

I'm sorry, what?

Steam punk

Babbers first /prod/ clyp