Who are your favorite guitarists? I don't necessarily care whether or not you think they're the best technically...

Who are your favorite guitarists? I don't necessarily care whether or not you think they're the best technically. Whose style really connects with you?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/x4KmbUCwkyE
youtube.com/watch?v=s9sMTTd802k
youtube.com/watch?v=FMcjPZgK9GM
youtube.com/watch?v=Zkuo2384ZN4
youtube.com/watch?v=5oqZ-17m-qU
youtu.be/ZTVnCyDoQlQ
youtu.be/hSWV1s17ohg
youtu.be/k8t45eCC0zM
youtu.be/TjE896B2QUE
youtube.com/watch?v=ufmIcqlloVM
youtube.com/watch?v=HIXTpLVWBlE
youtube.com/watch?v=dbn0DaJHucg
youtube.com/watch?v=w8W9srBXmTk
youtube.com/watch?v=yPoWF69L-qM
youtube.com/watch?v=ZJaNMZmBR6E
youtube.com/watch?v=zumOIWrGgSI
youtube.com/watch?v=1r6WSUlvQ20
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

D Boon, Jason Molina, joe reinhart

Django reinhart or David Gilmor

Steve Howe, has amazing , creative, diverse and unique style, uses hybrid picking amazingly. He made some of the most excellent and joyful riffs I've ever heard. IE the middle acoustic section in the middle of Starship Trooper. For the next, I don't think Eric Johnson has made much great music, but watching him perform Cliffs Of Dover live made me love how he cleanly he plays and with grace and melody. Also Robert Fripp is the most technical player I've seen who also can sound good while playing inhuman riffs.

In terms of technical skill? Steve Howe or Al Di Meola.

In terms of just who I think sounds good? Steve Howe as well, Pat Metheny, Dave Gregory/Andy Patridge, and Steven Wilson.

Technically, Al DiMeola or Alan Holdsworth.

Faves: Geordie Walker, Andy Summers, Fripp and lately been getting into Ry Cooder.
youtu.be/x4KmbUCwkyE

Probably Bert Jansch.

Robert Fripp, Andrew Belew, Jim Hall, Steve Howe, Kevin Shields, Grant Green, Rudolf Sosna, Jerry Garcia, Bob Weir and Pat Metheny. In no particular order (except Fripp, who is objectively the best guitarist of all time)
Man, if you're gonna mention Starship Trooper, how can you not be talking about that crazy modal solo at the end? It's easily a contender for one of the most harmonically and melodically inventive things Howe ever composed.

Jimi Hendrix, of course.

Jimi Page (yeah i'm being real original with these)
Robert Fripp
the Slint guys
Ian Mc Kaye and Guy Pidgeotto as a combo

And motherfucking Rory Gallagher. he's probably my favourite guitarist ever.

u already know

Whoa there, not so fast.

Chilton is ridiculous on this

Agreed on Fripp. You're totally right on the last section. My musical knowledge isn't great so I'll pay more attention to the solo at the end. The progression is sweet though and the variations he has on it

I love starship trooper, howes work on that song and the whole Yes Album is outstanding. If you like that, check out the title track from Steve Hackett's album Voyage of the Acolyte, he does a really cool scale modulation in the melody.

For me, he's definitely one of the most defining "jangly" guitarists. His playing style is instantly recognizable and just sounds so good to the ears

Rivers Cuomo, J Mascis, Joe Santiago

he's gr8 but keef is on a whole other level

John Frusciante. True artist. lot of emotion and love in his playing. I like that he keeps things simple and focuses on the overall song.

objective best answer

:^)

+ greg sage in close second place

I still have to say Hendrix.

Tony Iommi

Okay, I'll finally get around to naming some of my own.

George Harrison
Jerry Garcia
Mick Taylor
Robbie Robertson

And then some blues guys Sup Forums might not care about like Albert King, Taj Mahal, Robert Cray, and Junior Kimbrough.

Dave Gilmour, for solos. Andy Summers for riffs.

ah crap, forgot Dickey Betts for vocals and jamming.

yea, i love his solo stuff just as much(or more) as his playing with rhcp.
I really liked the stuff he put out on soundcloud, those guitar tracks with the drum machines are awesome. I wish he'd release more stuff

Jim croce is the GOAT

Johnson live at Austin City Limits is some of the best guitar playing ever captured, imo

youtube.com/watch?v=s9sMTTd802k

John Fahey
George Harrison
Bert Jansch
Nick Drake
Robbie Basho

Yesssss. I am glad to hear that, there seems to be a lot of disappointed people with his last works. I think experimental process is crucial for any artist..

(I prefer his solo stuff, it's another way of feelingicouldntexplainasdlñkf) Gnight

spencer seim
alex lifeson
steve vai
thurston moore + lee renaldo

John Fahey
Jack Rose
Robbie Basho
Daniel Bachman

Pete Cosey

Rick Nielsen
Michael Schenker
Alex Lifeson
Brian May
Elliot Easton

Looked him up and he sounds interesting. Care to name some of his most essential recordings?

Roy Buchanan:
youtube.com/watch?v=FMcjPZgK9GM

My favourites are

Based Rory
Joe Pass
John Frusciante
John Squier
The bloke from Mac Demarcos band

His recordings with Miles Davis are an essential listen. Agarta, Pangaea and Dark Magus are good records to start with.

Neil Young
Robert Fripp
Mick Taylor
Eddie Hazel
Cosey Fanni Tutti
Keith Rowe
John Fahey

Martin Barre of Jethro Tull. Man's an utter genius.

Andre Olbrich of Blind Guardian, knows the true importance of the space between notes. A Stattaco God.

Alex Lifeson, Eddie Van Halen, there are so many obvious gods you enjoy as a teenager before you begin to play the instrument and start looking for Guitarist's Guitar Players. People like Andreas Segovia, Les Paul, Preston Reed, Tuck Andress is another massively and forever under-rated genius who is on the same tier as Shawn Lane in terms of technical prowess, phrasing, and true understanding of musical theory on an almost spiritual level.

Gurt Gobane

t. Spurdo

Ted Greene. Most classical guitarists.

Ted Greenes baroque improvisation is incredible:
youtube.com/watch?v=Zkuo2384ZN4

This guy is pretty cool too, Jerome Ducharme:
youtube.com/watch?v=5oqZ-17m-qU

ANDREW LATIMER THE GOD OF TONE

I was just about to post that. Too bad he is virtually unknown and underrated. Just listen to these songs:
youtu.be/ZTVnCyDoQlQ
youtu.be/hSWV1s17ohg
There are a few players that can make a Les Paul truly sing and Andrew Latimer is certainly one of them.

kevin shields
mac demarco
isaac brock

David Gilmour

Eddie Hazel
Jimi Hendrix
Carlos Santana
John Mclaughlin

These guys can make their soloing reach spiritual places.

sounds good

I'd add Allan Holdsworth to your list. Just listen to this:
youtu.be/k8t45eCC0zM
youtu.be/TjE896B2QUE

Zappa.

Also, Makoto Kawabata is pretty good, but he gets overshadowed by Tsuyama Atsushi, who is the best bassist alive in my opinion. Very sad he retired recently.

>Richard Lloyd
youtube.com/watch?v=ufmIcqlloVM

>John Perry
youtube.com/watch?v=HIXTpLVWBlE

>James Williamson
youtube.com/watch?v=dbn0DaJHucg

>Huit Kilos
youtube.com/watch?v=w8W9srBXmTk

Definitely.

Jeff Buckley

Jimi Hendrix
Mac DeMarco
David Gilmour
Jack White
Alvin Lee
Rory Gallagher

I think Jimi Hendrix is in terms of creativity unbeaten. He set high standards for guitar playing which are valid even today.

Tom delonge is a god
youtube.com/watch?v=yPoWF69L-qM

(^:

Never really gave it a thought, but all things considered probably Jorge Strunz.

>those pick slides
>that out of place spastic drumming

Sup Forums I am disappoint

Good fuckin pick, but then you have to add a little Les Paul.

youtube.com/watch?v=ZJaNMZmBR6E

Christ, the guy can play. First time actually checking him out.

Les was great, but there were always a few too many showman trick in the live stuff.

His real greatness for me was his studio stuff, in particular his arrangements (and Mary's close harmonies as a topper)

youtube.com/watch?v=zumOIWrGgSI

I will always hold a spot for Angus and Malcolm Young in the early years, basically learned the guitar teaching myself the Bon Scott era stuff. Shame they went down the commercial route, I don't really listen to any of the stuff after Flick of the Switch.

Derek Trucks is really good, listening to a lot of his stuff lately. And of course, Roy Buchannan.

Julian Bream
Nick Drake

And hard to fucking play cleanly

Tom Morello is bretty gud.

>John Perry

was this a troll? this was fucking terrible on any level

youtube.com/watch?v=1r6WSUlvQ20

no favorite, but definitely enjoying Julian Lage lately

Burump

the lads from toe 2bh

when i started playing it was johnny greenwood

Well Frusciante is a given

>Cosey Fanni Tutti

Cortez the Killer is one of my favorite ballads
Alien boy lol

based fahey and basho
kottke is also pretty good

he's got great tone and makes god tier melodies sym

Tim Lash + Matt Talbott
John Reis + Rick Froberg
Elliott Smith
Josh Homme

Trey Anastasio connects the most with me. He's technically sound, and can groove like a motherfucker. Personally, I just love jamband guitar playing in general. It's predictably unpredictable and consistently good. Trey personifies that jamband type of guitar playing better than anyone, even jerry. But don't take anything away from Garcia, he's still, imo, the greatest guitar player of all time

Mark Hollis lads

Some fantastic riffs, awesome solos, his lyrics have come on a lot over the last decade or so and he's an amazing vocalist.

Not everyone's cup of tea and Manic's have definitely become a little MOR but I still love them. More love for James.

Jimi Hendrix
Rory Gallagher
Gary Moore
John Frusciante

This guy. and also Gary Clark Jr.

Gary Moore, especially his 80s stuff even though that shit's shot down often. Short of Jailbreak, he helped make some of Thin Lizzy's best music. And Wild Frontier is fukin goat

Technical:
Omar Rodriguez Lopez
John Frusciante

Technique, Atmospheric shit:
Kevin Shields
J Spaceman
Thurston Moore

Kurt Cobain, Alex Turner, Matt Bellamy

he's so fucking VARIED my man

>tfw I met tuck before I realized he was such a huge deal

I should have gotten more out of that clinic but whatever, he's amazing

>Rivers Cuomo
Literally the most underrated lead player in history

Other than him I love Hendrix, Fruciante, Santana, and Jerry Cantrell

Jason Becker

Alex Lifeson

Gary Moore

John Mayer

Not my favorite to listen to, but still my favorite guitarist. So loveable

You can hate their music but you have to admit he's one hell of a guitarist

Jah Wobble, Thundercat & Buddy Guy.

Satchel is cool as fuck.

His pedigree is dank as fuck, being an instructor and in Halfold's post-Priest band.
A buddy and I caught separate picks from him during their show a few months ago in Reno.

this
extremely underrated and so great. Him and Frusciante are prolly my most favourite guitarists