Finnish language

>Finnish language

Who the fuck thought this was a good idea?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=O-fBfvTxD9w
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herxheim_(archaeological_site)
en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Appendix:Finnish_nominal_inflection
en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Appendix:Finnish_conjugation
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

pro tip: no uses 99% of those

its always like this with those fucking stupid images, like that one with russian word for running

imo it makes a whole lot more sense to keep everyhing contained into a single word when ultimately refering to a single object.

vasara = a hammer
vasarani = my hammer
vasarallani = with my hammer
vasarattanikin = even without my hammer

>Ripuloisinkohankaan?

Should I take a diarrhea after all?

preposition conjugation?

vasara
mun vasara
mun vasaral
ilman mun vasaraaki

This is how a normal person would say these things unless he's LARPing in a forest.

nuijutin
miu nuijutin
miu nuijuttimel
ilman miu nuijutintaki

Noin puhuvat vain neekerit ja nistit.

At least everything don't have a gender.

Maailma olis ainaki vähän parempi paikka jos Savon murre sammuis

Sadly we've lost the possessive suffixes for some reason, so Estonian can't do this.

This sounds much more like Estonian:
vasar
mu vasar
mu vasaraga (also "mu vasaral"; but using the adessive for instruments is a bit weird, but can be used for e.g vehicles)
mu vasarata/ilma mu vasarata

pöydätär = feminine table

>vasara = a hammer
ok so far
>vasarani = my hammer
barely ok
>vasarallani = with my hammer
fuck. why dare you brake [my hummer] into two and insert [with] between the two.
>vasarattanikin

Whoops, the first reply was supposed to be

vasaratta= without a hammer
vasarakin= even a hammer
vasaranikin= even my hammer

get it?

vasarananikin
"as my hammer"

???

vasarananikin voi puhua
"even when someone is my hammer they can still talk"

>Doesn't unnecessarily assign genders to inanimate objects
>Phonetic

Hmmm...

>persereikä
masculine anus

>pojupimppi
feminine anus

Sorry folks, we did what we could to put an end to it

I was told otherwise what the fuck

vasarattomuus = the state of not possesing a hammer

Those seem to be two different words though

lol idk how the gender thing works bro

vasarattomuusblues = the gloomy feeling when a hammer is not in your possessions and it's really bringing you down and you just stare at the things you would like to hammer silently while planning a trip to k-rauta

Persereikä translates to asshole and pojupimppi is boipussi.

>(...) assign genders (...)
Stop right there. It's called grammatical gender only because classical grammarians noticed certain patterns (e.g "woman" belongs to one class (called "feminine")and "man" belongs to teh other (called "masculine"). The neuter is the one that's left.)

The better term is "noun class". Languages like Swahili have pretty much the same system as the genders in European languages, only there are 14 of them.

A system of "animate" vs "inanimate" is also common, seen in Basque.

>then this starts playing

youtube.com/watch?v=O-fBfvTxD9w

I'm convinced Finnish isn't a human language.

In german it's like this for example

der Tisch = the table = masculine
die Gardine = the curtain = feminine
das Mädchen = the girl = neuter

Get it?

>Swahili
mida vittu

>girl is neutral
Germany YES

A bunch of insane, shit-flinging, cannibalistic hunter-gatherers many centuries ago came up with the idea, basically.

-chen at the end makes a noun neutral. IIRC etymologically Mädchen comes from an old word for maid. Adding -chen makes it mean "little maid".

Girls are servants.

Deutschland JA

That doesn't even make sense you stupid fucking burger you can't even meme correctly you fat FUCK

>cannibalistic

Cannibalism was more of a German thing.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herxheim_(archaeological_site)

>shit-flinging
You mean shit-SLINGING, right?

Frozen feces made an excellent improvised sling projectile when the ground was covered in deep snow and you couldn't get any rocks.

literally slavs

You seem upset Frederick Wilhelm.

>ywn ride a wooly mammoth into battle while shooting your foes with frozen poop from a slingshot
Is there any reason to live?

en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Appendix:Finnish_nominal_inflection
>51 fucking inflection types
And the poor bloody foreigners have to learn these.

en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Appendix:Finnish_conjugation
>27 conjugation types for Finnish verbs

>we have only 26
Still, that's a huge number compared to Latin's 5.

I think Finnish sounds pleasant, especially with the repeating vowels.

The Finnish language should be shown more respect.

for real though, do most immigrants actually manage to learn finnish?

Interesting, but the notorious Androphagi of Greek antiquity lore lived in the border region with what is today the Baltic states, and were of Fenno-Ugric stock.

Indeed, I stand corrected, thank you.

I have a friend who married a Finnish girl an they now live there permanently. It took him years to learn the language, he really suffered over it.

Why are others too retard to learn as much as we?

Seems pretty efficient to me. Why would you say something with many words when you can say the same thing with only one word?
Sometimes I wish I was Finnish

It's easy to learn without trying when you're a child, your brain is still malleable.

oluthetki = beer moment

btw

>Want to learn Finnish and potentially immigrate to finland if at all possible
>secondthoughts.exe

Maybe they did but those tribes known to Greeks were the ancestors of modern day Russians not Finns.

I know that's why I posted it, in the sketch he says "time to grab my beer" which translated simply to "beermoment". I like that.

You know how Finnish has two types of locative cases? Something that starts from inside (talossa, talosta, taloon or in a house, from inside a house, into a house) and something that starts from outside (talolla, talolta, talolle or at a house, from a house and to a house).

Well, I find it quite interesting that there used to be a third locative form that's still present in Hungarian: action that starts from on top of something. We would use the outside locative form for that, but Hungarians have different cases for actions involving things being on top of something, going on top of something and coming from on top of something. Subdelative, superessive and sublative.

kalsarikännit pieruverkkareissa = underpant drunks (drinking alone at home) in fart sweat pants(track suit pants)

East asians tend to learn it pretty well.
Germanics, including anglos, tend to have that heavy lisping/mumbling accent, but otherwise grammatically decent.
Romance speakers, including greeks, seem to become relatively accentless(ignoring french fellows who do throat R), but also tend to have more trouble understanding spoken finnish and forming more complex sentences.
Africans tend to yell a lot and use just the base words without conjugation.
Middle-easterners are kinda like combination of Romance and African types.

I would argue that Estonian makes this distinction with the postposition "pea" in allative, adessive and ablative.

"laualt" [adessive of "laud"] - from the table; e.g "võta pudel laualt ära" - take the bottle from the table

"laua pealt" - from on top of the table, e.g "võta oma jalad laua pealt ära" - take your feet off the table

Although the difference is very minimal.

>Africans tend to yell a lot and use just the base words without conjugation.
>Middle-easterners are kinda like combination of Romance and African types.
really makes you think

>Germanics, including anglos, tend to have that heavy lisping/mumbling accent
>had lisp as a kid and used to mumble
>find English pretty easy to pronounce overall, exceptions of course apply
>mfw

africans tend to speak like estonians

"MITA SA SANOA???"

Someone please translate 'Suomalaisen suurin riesa on sisu'.

Well, the Estonians that go to Finland are pretty much the same as africans.

Finn's biggest nuisance is Sisu

Everyone here seems to know English fluently at least. How do you guys learn it so well?

Another interesting fact; while Finnish has two groups of three locative cases, Hungarian has three, but Sami only two locative cases at all.

They've merged the inside and outside locative cases, so they've got just a single case for telling that something is going somewhere (illative); but what's curious is that they've merged the cases for telling that something is somewhere and that something is coming out of somewhere (elative and inessive) into a single, locative form.

Basically, you can't distinguish between "in a house" and "from a house" in Sami because they both use the same case.

Video games.

Sisu means something like spirit right? I don't feel any wiser but thanks anyway.

Finns'
Not Finn's

Suomalaisten
Suomalaisen

t. eri

read again, bro

Finn's, because it's in singular form.

"The biggest nuisance of a Finn is sisu" would be a better translation

You play them in English then? Which games?

>You play them in English then?

yskys

All of them because they are almost never in Finnish.

>You play them in English then?
Mostly, yes.
>Which games?
All of them.

Sisu is a strange word meaning spirit, stubbornness and courage. It doesn't really have a proper translation. Sisu is more like a state of mind.

You could find many (cringeworthy) articles trying to explain the word, but I'm not sure would reading those help you to understand the word.

Basically this.

>Herxheim
that's scary as shit

This

Also, all movies and TV series are subbed here in contrast of Germany where even some blockbusters are or at least used to be dubbed.

Guts, resilience, fortitude, etc.

I learned through video games. I needed to understand the goals and manuals of RTS games. There were also some educational word games I had on a CD. Also some English Calvin and Hobbes comics, and eventually the internet. I was using chatrooms in my early teens, already having found Finnish game sites with chat way earlier.

The surviving locatives sometimes fill this function in Finnish as well. One example is 'pöydältä,' which means 'from the top of the table'. Whether the -lta/-ltä case means 'from on top of' or simply 'from' is mostly a matter of pragmatics; a table is seen as a surface to put things on, a house is not.

What *actually* makes the whole system into the impenetrable (for foreigners) shitshow it is is grammatical cases being used in ways completely unrelated to the ways their meanings are typically given as. Just like in English you might be taught that genitive always means possession or belonging of something to/by someone, and then it turns out there are over half a dozen different kind of genitive.

How about writing and grammar though?
Dont you have English classes like in Sweden or Germany?

Best part in finnish language is sananmuunnos. You can change place of letters and syllables smoothly and usually the word turns into something dirty
even sananmuunnos=twisting words turns into munansaannos =getting the dick

School is for good goyms, we stay home playing vidya.

Yes we have since the 3rd grade.

I'm 30. In my time you could either choose English as your "first foreign language" in third grade or start it as a mandatory subject in fifth grade if you chose something else.

If you got suckered into not taking English in third grade, it just means you find yourself looking at seven years of compulsory education with more hours to a regular school week than the other kids.

Yes, I'm bitter.

Thanks for responses. It just amazes me how many Europeans can speak English. Here in the USA, the native Whites only know their own language and dont even try to learn others. Though maybe Spanish.

These all sound like ways you're going to murder someone.

That's because English is lingua franca today. In Finland we are also forced to study Swedish and many people study optional foreign languages.

Fuuuckkkk

I need to learn this to get Finnish gc

>vasara = hammer
>vasarani = ni vasara = hammermy
>vasarallani = lla ni vasara = hammerwithmy
>vasarattanikin = kin tta ni vasara = hammerwithoutmyeven

I was about to write the same message.

I don't even think that English is a foreign language skill. Not knowing English is just weird. It's like sign of some sort of disorder.

The language is designed to keep all you fucking faggots out.

We're full.

It hasn't worked yet

It's not my fault you're the best country in the world