Flies over secret Soviet bases/sensitive areas

>Flies over secret Soviet bases/sensitive areas.
>Soviets know it's there but can't do anything about it. They're forced to watch as it violates their airspace over and over, month after month for decades.
>Even brings pictures of said violations back to 'Murica so that CIA can look at them.
>SR-71 made USSR a total cuck.

Cheked

trips have spoken.

There was a time, yes.

Kinda like having something in space watching you at all time hm..

most gangsta plane eva

Crazy to think it was conceived of in the 40's and built in the 60's makes you wonder what kind of shit they got flying now. I was told by someone who worked at the pentagon that the technology is 40 years ahead of what know.

we had supersonic airliners 50 fucking years ago. we are constantly taking steps back regarding air traffic.

can you elaborate?

Made of 99% Russian mined titanium... Makes them an even bigger cuck

Totally forgot about that. TFW when you contribute to your own cuck status by selling your titanium, mined by slaves to CIA shell corporations.

Russians had anti-gravity in the 50s.

America doesn't even know.

Russia fucked America's wife, daughter and mother in a four way orgy and left them all pregnant.
America has raised Russia's babies for several generations.

whats there to elaborate.

decades ago, we were travelling with mach 2.2 on fligh level 600. now we travel with mach 0.8 on lfight level 250 or whatever.

nobody gives a shit about faster, better, more brutal and more awesome anymore. its all about safety, noise regulation and fuel consumption.

pic fucking related, the golden years of aviation. we had it all, we basically shot paying customers from paris to new york in the blink of an eye, literally twice as fast as the bullet of some 9mm round.

Also, look no further than the XB-70 Valkyrie to get a sense of just how crazy shit was in the EARLY 60'S!! We made a bomber that could surf on its own fucking shockwave as it carried nukes into Soviet airspace. That plane doesn't get nearly the recognition it deserves, but it was just as marvelous as the SR.

Russia topcuckd

I'd rather live and read a book or two while travelling halfway through the world thank you.

To be fair, supersonic passenger planes were dropped for a pretty good reason.

palmdale, ca SR-71 and YF-12A

this is military. as much as i love military shit, nothing comes close to the concorde. years ago you were able to travel with supersonic speeds from one point in the world to another, you were able to enjoy NYE on paris, then get into a fucking plane, fly to new york, and enjoy NYE again.

and if youre talking about supersonic bombers, pic fucking related again. still in service, still dropping bombs on syria, still raping turkish airspace and nobody can do a fucking thing about it.

why? because the fucking DC10 wasnt able to keep engine parts for itself?

Look man, we don't have the B-3 Bomber. Don't even bring it up. I work for the Federal Government, it doesn't exist. Not even on paper.

Yeah, nobody could afford the cost of a flight and their speed was restricted near metro areas due to sonic boom

read into the topic. JFK made it illegal for supersonic passanger planes to travel in US airspace. pan am, TWA etc. had all dozens of options, but they cancelled them because of that. JFK basically destroyed it because he could not deal with the fact that boing wasnt able to build a supersonic airliner.

Because they caused sonic booms, guzzled fuel, and (the Concorde specifically) had significant safety/reliability problems.

I should elaborate, they have one of each side by side.

and what reason is that?

Design stolen from the Rockwell B-1. And yes... ours is still in service as well.

>Tu-160
>not a commie ripoff of the B-1 Lancer

Fed-ex still flys DC-10/MD-11 and US AF still has KC-10 tankers

I never implied there was anything.
Just that the technology must more advanced than what we are aware of.

shouldnt you be piloting your drone killing innocent civilians anyway with your double taps and shit. fuck off robot.

>safety
like what. they had a few tire ruptures, nothing ever happened. the one single crash that killed humans was the fault of a DC-10 which lost metal parts on the runway.

BAW and AF would have had to work over every single plane because of this bullshit, and it was too expensive. why? because "well every fucking plane would have exploded, but still lets better make it so that the next time a fucking DC-justfuckingburnmealive-10 loses a crucial part on the runway, the concorde rolling over it doesnt get damaged."

....and what?

Talk about the airplanes that go up on rockets, that then fly in space/high atmosphere with all the technology of the X-15 hydrogen peroxide enabled thrusters.

Valkyrie was immediately rendered obsolete by missiles.

SR71 didn't fly around as much as people tend to think. Add to that, the russian's Mig-31 was only mach0.1 slower (despite being basically an overengined 70's MiG), and that they had plans to intercept the blackbird and launch the (much faster) missiles that could take it down.

Basically, rockets and rocket-launched spy sats killed both of those planes.

Also, commercial passenger flight went a different route. People like cheap fares more than fast flights. And cheap, slow flights are more usable for local (cross-country) tickets, which is a massive market. For supersonic, you have to cruise for a long way for that massive climb burn to make sense.

Also the americans being such a massive bitch when the concorde came out (making up bullshit safety regs to delay it while they built their own copy).

>Also the americans being such a massive bitch when the concorde came out

basically this

Planes losing pieces in flight is a pretty significant problem.
The main reason supersonics were dropped was the sonic booms though.

Last year NASA announced they were going to do stuff with new supersonic prototypes aimed at minimizing sonic booms, but I don't there's anything to really show from it yet.

dont tell planes not to drive over parts during takeoff. tell plane to not lose parts during takeoff.

Fairness ammendum, the MiG31 would just explode if you tried to use it to keep up with the blackbird (SR71 wouldn't blow up after 15 minutes on the other hand).

But, as long as you were willing to Vodka up Dmitri and strap him in, you could take a blackbird with "minimal" losses.

Yes, I'm fully aware of its history. USSR surface to air missiles were much better than we knew. The U2 shoot down proved that. The XB-70 was also insanely expensive and ICBMs were a much cheaper way of delivering nukes. The XB-70 has an interesting legacy that affected the outcome of future aircraft, however. The Russians built the Mig-25 Foxbat to counter the XB-70. We freaked, thought it was a super fighter (it was actually an interceptor, not a dogfighter). This lead to us developing the F-15 to respond. After we got a hold of Belenko's Mig-25, we realized that we completely misunderstood the Foxbat's true mission.

There were two incidents where part of the rudder broke off during supersonic flight.

The concorde rarely flew "full" with full fare paying passengers, which at 11,000 grand or so R/T was a lot more (by 3x or more) than flying in a 747.

For supersonic engines with long intakes this can sorta be averted kinda fairly easily. You just change the geometry of the intake.

I don't know how they decided not to do this for concorde - all these manufacturers have some warplane experience, and the first thing to consider when designing a fighter plane is that you can't always guarantee a perfectly clean runway, you HAVE TO BE ABLE to land and takeoff from shitty, rubbishy strips.

Mig-25 was "redlined" at about Mach 2.5. Anything beyond that would eventually destroy the engines. It was technically capable of higher speeds, but reaching those speeds meant destroying the aircraft's engines.

Yes, drones and all that. We'll handle it. But not another word about this B-3 Bomber business. You guys have been wildly misinformed. It's simply a myth.

The XB-70 was a huge radar reflector, it was built for speed, but in the end, its lack of radar "stealth" capability is what doomed it. Same for the original B-1 supersonic design that was cancelled by Carter

lol'd @
>people want it cheap and slow not fast
and
>the majority of the market doesnt lend itself well to supersonic flights
but
>americans totally tried to copy it, nevermind the fact that it was a novelty that only existed because france wanted to win at something but ironically still lost since it was a waste of tech

don't be a pussy, comrade. We have many in gulag to make more engine for interceptor!

Yea, it was a product of the "faster is better" philosophy of the 1950's/early 60's. Funny how our ultimate bomber ended up being a subsonic, stealth aircraft and not a high altitude speed demon. B-1 was saved by it's later added ability to hug the ground below radar detection.

It didnt overfly the USSR

You're right, it didn't. It flew on the very edge of Soviet airspace and used very sophisticated sensors and cameras. Eisenhower put a stop to over flights after the U2 shootdown. However, USSR did still try to intercept it and, to be fair, we don't know for sure that it never did. That may still be classified info for all we know. My green text was intended for comedy, not historical accuracy.

The SR71's biggest contribution is its role in the 1973 Yom Kipper war.

Very good observation. I was watching a documentary (can't remember the name) and I remember either a pilot or an intelligence officer saying that the SR-71 enables them to monitor troop movements as well as prove to Israel that we knew they had not moved their troops back as far as they said they would during the end of hostilities. The SR really was godmode for strategic intelligence. Oh, you moved your troops back to where you said you would? Interesting, because these pictures we took hours ago say otherwise.......In an era before the internet and information sharing being instantaneous, this was amazing power.

Plane was so fucking boss...

>SR-71/A-12 SOP Manual
>Page 21, Section 3
>Recommend Countermeasures for Enemy SAM With Hard Radar Lock...
>Accelerate

I took some dramatic license with my description but the broad strokes are 100% true

Evasive maneuvers for missile lock basically consisted of the pilot going throttle up.

No countermeasures, no chaff... Just punch it

Checked

We are flying the aurora plane off the California coast. It makes the blackbird look like a turtle.

Russia built a special mig just to try and counter the sr-71.

They failed

The Loch Ness monster of aviation. I wonder if this plane ever existed. I suspect at least one did. I remember reading a story of a plane spotter who saw one in formation with two other aircraft refueling. He said it was shaped like an isosceles triangle. The engines are rumored to be/have been pulse detonation engines. I wonder if we'll ever know if this beast really roamed the skies and if so, for how long?

Spoken like a true government agent

Correct. It's his profession to identify planes and it was something be could not identify.

Also oceanographic sensors detected a series of what could only be sonic booms off the coast of cali traveling in a straight line at speeds that are too fast to be any known aircraft. The only other thing it could have been was a meteorite and it should have showed up on radar if that was the case.

Here's why it needs to exist. Satellites in time of war will become unreliable. They are easy to track and destroy/hack making them useless for imagery. Much better to have a reconnaissance plane the can fly a mission, take the pics and get home before the Russians and chinks can put their pants on.

Not

Thermodynamic heat/pressure on the Blackbird at altitude and cruise speed was almost too much for the airframe to handle.

The only thing keeping the plane from flying mach 4 or above was not any limitations on the engine, but rather limitations on the environment in which it flew.

The aircraft was basically on the verge of becoming a fireball from atmospheric friction. If the Aurora exists and is flying within the earth's atmosphere then it will have the same limitations on its airframe as the Blackbird.

You cannot trump the basic laws of thermodynamics. I don't see how we can get around this.

>implying we haven't come up with more heat resistant materials in the last 50 years
>implying it even flies in the atmosphere

I've always recognized the need for this aircraft, however I still wonder if it ever made it past the prototype/development stage. Also, given how expensive the SR was to maintain, I can't even imagine how much more expensive it would be to maintain a hypersonic aircraft reliably and efficiently. If it ever existed, it was probably the most exotic piece of machinery mankind has ever produced.

I'll give you a hint: magnetohydrodynamics.

The whole point of it being generating a magnetic field in order to bend fluids and suppress air resistance, which limits speed.

This is america we're talking about. No amount of money is to much money when it comes to military advancements.

Same way we've always got around thermodynamic problems.

Either better thermal management (treating heat as a resource, storing and moving it around the vessel) or by some sacrificial material (as something heats up, it absorbs heat and gets blasted off).

Not saying it's easy, but we're been in the atmosphere at speeds far higher than mach 4. The trick is doing it while keeping drag low enough to be able to accelerate and/or maintain speed or accelerate for however long you want to.

One bonus is that the best fuels tend to be cryogenic (or near enough). So the heating on the skin of the plane is absorbed by the fuel to basically pre-heat the propellant, which is then blasted out the back of the plane.

tl;dr, we take heat from around the plane and blow it out the exhaust pipe.

As awesome as the SR-71 is, you have Avro Aviation to thank for the machine tooling and metallurgical technology to build a titanium aircraft.

Circa 1950's Canada.