Is this pic a good introduction to the different genres of music? Should anything be added to it?

Is this pic a good introduction to the different genres of music? Should anything be added to it?

This is the only recc. chart I've seen that seems both good and comprehensive, btw. Just curious if there are any really major omissions.

it lacks trance, rockabilly, psychobilly,

Thanks. Anything else?

Why would you include Cross for house instead of Discovery?

It's the best chart you're going to find on the internet that covers side a wide breadth of musical styles / times.

Probably because Cross is the less trash (but still immediately recognizable) French house record.

Not enough global representation, it's alright for introductions, looks like they've improved some parts of it over the years but obviously some of it will always be terrible because it focuses on some genres more than others

Like it's obvious some care was put into the electronic and hip-hop subgenres because they're popular now but then most of the rock subgenres don't really scratch the surface and seem to arbitrarily select albums that don't represent their genre but someone just wanted to squeeze onto the chart because the artist is popular

Basically, it's not a genre chart for the most part, it's just a list of popular artists, I've listened to probably 80% or more of the stuff on there and most of it is not what I'd show someone if I wanted them to hear the best of a genre or something they haven't heard before

>Litanies of Satan
>not s/t
2contrarian4me

I found this chart back in 2013, are there any updated versions of it? Couldn't find it on the wiki.

I guess it's okay for the average Sup Forumstant, but I think it's fucking retarded that a pretty small subset of metal has 20 albums while entire continents like Africa get 5 albums.

The most obvious omission is the lack of American pop music from the 1990's onwards.

Oh really, that's an old version? I'm sure it's been updated many times, I'm not sure I've ever seen two versions that look the same. Used to have daily threads arguing over fixing it when they first made it. Used to be real shit. That one mostly looks like the most recent one I remember but I haven't frequented this board for a while.

Yeah it's really America/Anglocentric (except for classical), but I guess that's to be expected.

Possibly the classical and jazz sections are the only good ones, but then again they're also the only kinds of music worht listening to.

>Hardcore Punk
>American Football

what?

The chart seems almost afraid of going for anything non-English or cordoning it off, which is absurd if you actually want to get someone into a genre because removing the language barrier is the perfect way to show the musical attributes and stylings of the genres and to show the source of various musical influences

It says emo too

os mutantes is not folk music

Neither is Toru Takemitsu, but what are you gonna do?

Neither is Fela Kuti, Toru Takemitsu, Bob Marley, Toots and the Maytals, Lee Perry, Augustus Pablo, Fairuz, Farid al-Atrache, Umm Kulthum, Leo Ferre, Jacques Brel, Serge Gainsbourg, Tom Ze, Paco de Lucia, Bola Sete, etc.

The progressive rock one is kinda crap. Third is more Jazz than rock, and Ummagumma is more space rock (aside form it being a real mixed bag). And Third Ear Band is more experimental folk than rock.

ITCOTCK and MDK are fine, though. Something Yes or Genesis would be a better introduction to the genre, as Anglo-prog was the dominant sound in the scene. Something Italian would be good too. And perhaps add something more modern to round it out, like The Mars Volta or Porcupine Tree. I think something like the following would be a good overview:

-ITCOTCK
-MDK
-Close to the Edge
-Palepoli
-Frances the Mute

those are some pretty shit choices for "contemporary hip-hop"

like they're good albums but all very tangentially related and a lot of them not representative of the modern sound or style at all

No Henry Cow or any of that ilk? Prog is just too small a thing to be represented in five spaces and that's even with the way of throwing Krautrock into its own section. Prog should be expanded but also heavily spread out internationally as prog is one of the few genres known for classics in the canon that were made in a dozen or more countries.

Is there anything in the pic that's just crap and not worth listening to?

Cross is literally just a worse Discovery with some grit on it, fuck off

Only ultra-well-versed in jazz so I'll give you feedback there.

You can't put Coleman Hawkins in here and not put Body and Soul. That is the quintessential Hawkins recording and one of the quintessential swing recordings. Also, something like Basie - Straight Ahead is a much better example of Basie than Complete Atomic, and I don't like the idea of putting in Fletcher Henderson over Gene Krupa or Buddy Rich.

I wouldn't call A Love Supreme or Ascension modal jazz, they're more more an intermediate form between post-bop/modal and free jazz. Also, you can't talk cool jazz without Bill Evans' Portrait in Jazz (much more significant album than Explorations).

There are other things that I don't necessarily agree with but the problem with jazz is that the lines between subgenres are so ill-defined in a type of music that has evolved the way that jazz has. Not bad overall.

Let's see...

>Entire continent of Africa gets only five albums
>While north American gets ten (country blues, USA folk)
>Celtic folk and French pop each get five
>Fucking reggae and dub under world music instead of just under pop wtf
>Hindustani classical music in same category as Qawwali
>Only Hindustani classical music, no Carnatic
>literally 50% popular music

Metal section is pretty garbage but I can say anything about the rest of it.

What metal should be added/removed?

Why's OKC on there instead of Kid A

uhh they're both there

Compared to the main general essentials, at least it has music which isn't babbies first pop experience outside the billboard charts.

This was just some avant-teen's answer to the Sup Forumscore essentials that was never adopted by the rest of the board. there's no sense in a board like Sup Forums trying to make a definitive list of important music, but Sup Forumscore makes sense because then someone knows what the board is into and can integrate into the community. One can only hope after that that people seek out other music to gain answers to their own inquiries.

Hell, a good chunk of it is even devoted to classical music, and practically no one on Sup Forums listens to that, even though it's the greatest music ever made.

The "introduction" to "black metal" fucking sucks. Burzum doesn't represent shit.

That's true, but only barely.

>and practically no one on Sup Forums listens to that
lolwat

The five albums in prog rock aren't bad by any means, but they may be a bit challenging for someone not used to prog rock (leaving ITCOCK out of such statement since it isn't that inaccessible). The krautrock and post-rock picks are good.

Lacks the best band of all time Animal Collective is

Ames theory was good but screwed it up in execution.

Animal Collective is on there, Anonymous.

One album isn't enough
STGSTV
Sung Tongs
MPP
Feels
All masterpieces that cover a lot of genres

I think the idea of the chart is, if you like one album on it, then you can check out other albums from the same band/artist.

Also STGSTV is on it...

Pop, pop, pop AND pop!

anyone have a mega link for this?

no

that's like saying Jazz, jazz, jazz AND jazz!

Only real mistake is having no Pharcyde on the Hip-Hop part actually

Classical could use like ten more sections and especially more Russians, e.g. Mussorgsky, Scriabin, Prokofiev, Schnittke

In hip hop you need doggystyle, 2001, get rich of die trying and graduation, those are landmarks on the genre, not qualify for any other genre.

mmm i just realized the Chanson/French Pop pictures are all messed up
>Trenet / Brassens / Ferré / Brel / Gainsbourg
That probably means the rest of the chart is riddled with mistakes kek

It's the best Sup Forums chart by far, but it still needs a lot of improvements.

how was doggystyle a landmark in hiphop? I like the album, but never considered it a must listen tbqh

>Latin, spanish
>3/5 are brazilians

>African

>Film Composers

>Vocal

>Bossa Nova, Latin
>Latin

I can only imagine the mess the Classical must be...

ambient should have the dead texan instead of dream theory in malaya
contemporary hip hop should have GKMC instead of cLOUDDEAD, it's a good album but hardly representative of the contemporary state of hip hop
instrumental hip hop could have Blockhead but the list as is is pretty much fine
otherwise really good

>doggystyle
>not the chronic

Doggystyle, 2001 and GRODT I agree with. Should probably have The College Dropout instead of Graduation though, it's the best of early Kanye
The Chronic was popular but Doggystyle was what made G-funk really blow up

>ONLY 12 FEMALE SINGERS/BAND
damn..

>Tom Ze
>not folk
???

What the fuck, why would he be folk?

It's a jumpoff point, you listen to those things and go from there.
"Post-rock" is pretty badly represented and hip-hop is sort of shafted but this is as good a chart with this intent as you'll find.

Probably would be good to add emo and screamo

>no Boards of Canada in downtempo, etc.

Huh... wow. Pretty damn essential

>more rock sub, sub, subgenres

Replace Nina Simone with Sam Cooke
Replace Link Wray with Gene Vincent
Replace Nick Cave with Gang of Four
Replace Isaac Hayes with Curtis Mayfield's Anthology

>4 sections for hiphop