/prod/ - Music Production General

Upload WIPs on clyp.it/

GIVE feedback and RECEIVE feedback.

>ATTENTION!
DO NOT post Soundcloud, YouTube or any other links where you are not anonymous (unless somebody asks you for it). That is considered self promotion and will usually result in a bad feedback.

ACTUAL RESOURCES
gearslutz.com/board/q-luca-pretolesi-brought-you-puremix-net/
mbrauer.com/q-a?pp=1
>Stop using raw presets
youtube.com/watch?v=tivES-sjHc4
>Learn to Listen too
youtu.be/6xTXEDxfJwA

Other urls found in this thread:

clyp.it/ofslwlkn
clyp.it/gb44rxhd
clyp.it/pyfauvve
clyp.it/bjin3icb
clyp.it/zpcevahq
clyp.it/3zrlpnlg
clyp.it/qbch1mid
clyp.it/sbijxbak
clyp.it/jltbis4h
youtube.com/watch?v=krEw04YvFcY
clyp.it/05aemou4
clyp.it/d0lnhknc
clyp.it/oakpwfhq
clyp.it/nkf0ne1u
clyp.it/ty5mdagf
clyp.it/mcfmqewv
soundcloud.com/official_contingent
clyp.it/tkljcjtd
clyp.it/upmwapkc
clyp.it/r5krbfj0
clyp.it/hbzcwvar
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

What day is this
clyp.it/ofslwlkn

i know nothing abt composition! its a crazy adventure, and i learn new things everyday, its a lot of fun.

say, if i were playing in C major, and i tuned a melodic synth to +600 cents, would it make sense musically? or would it just be pitched to another key? thx

You would just make it higher by 6 semitones.

yeah. does that make sense to compose with in c major though? sorry i am literally so bad with music. i was also horrible with math in high school and it kind of feels similar

>bad with pitch
>bad with math

why are you doing this?

i jst want to hack you in the fucking jaw

yeh you'd be playing in f sharp maj

dont be a douche
100 cents is the same as one semitone

fat

Speech Therapy, new album I'm working on. Already done first song but don't need any more feedback on it.

clyp.it/gb44rxhd

can you get drum machines from china or something
i wanna record live instead of sitting in studio space for two generations to get a fucking beat done

Look for shitty old ones on ebay like a Boss Dr Synth or something

Is Ableton Live 9 good? It's been a while since I used a DAW but the last one I used was 8.2.2.
Should I get the new one?

FL Studio is easier but more simple. Ableton is hard but has more HQ synths and VSTs.

sounds dope i got this band space nearby and though about just plugging the retro shit to loudspeakers, playing 5-10 minutes and calling it a soundcloud/clyp.it/bandcamp upload

i dont think ableton is really that hard once you understand the routing and how to move things back and forth between session and clip view and how to do automation in either one

Do it

also warping/sampling/resampling

those are the cornerstones of ableton

This is what happens when I get a case of the vibes and just start jamming. Kind meandering, but I'm enjoying making it. I can tighten it up and make it a bit more focussed later.

clyp.it/pyfauvve

Any feedback?

production tips?
clyp.it/bjin3icb
working with some mediocre headphones.
does it sound too flat?

does anyone have a tape/cassette deck in their studio? how do you apply it in your studio?

So you can just play the white keys and. Pt have to stay in c major? Yeah, do what you got to do, but itll probably hinder you later on not to learn how to play in other keys. Learn intervals, thats a way to cheat it.

clyp.it/zpcevahq

any feedback/comments on this would be appreciated.

Ive been using fl studios since 2007(only started getting serious with it since 2013), would it make sense to move to ableton now that im realizing my limitations with fl. I mostly do hip hop beats, but i also program drum tracks for stuff like rock and funk tracks, where recording live instruments work best. I do my recording in pro tools with an exported midi usually using 3rd party synths or sample libraries.

I really like the ease of fl studio, you can change up structure very quickly, but i dont see many people using it anymore unless they strictly do hip hop, which I dont. I dont plan on making any edm in the immediate future, but its definetly likely i will down the road.

you said you don't need any

clyp.it/3zrlpnlg

don't usually make music like this, mixed this in February and I'm coming back to it. recs on free trumpet/brass au's? I think it could benefit from some brass

I have that same reel to reel. It's the shit. I bounce tracks to it from my mixer and cut them up. I like the way it makes my tracks sound. gives them an imperfection that I enjoy.

Plus it's fun to handle your tunes in a tactile way. I think it's given me a better understanding of mixing, because it's easy to make a tape recording sound shitty, hard to make it sound tight.

word. I found it for pretty cheap on cl but the dude hasn't responded yet, and I want it so bad. I'm mainly interested for putting saturation on bass and drums, but also want to experiment with recording vocals on it/use it as an outboard delay effect. how's it to maintain?

The saturation is great. I do that a lot. I haven't used it as much for single track recording (mostly just mixdowns) but I bet it would still sound great.

I got mine in great condition so maintenance has been simple so far. I wipe the heads with isopropyl (preferably 90%) almost every time I use it.

The main issue I've found is finding good tape. Read up on "sticky shed" if you don't already know about it. I think like 60% of all the tape made between the 60s-80s has this problem. It's a total pain in the ass that can be avoided if you get the right tape. (I'm still trying to find some)

so the tape on amazon that's fairly inexpensive sucks? How long does a reel last you, personally? Maybe look into the tape they sell at vintageking audio, it's fairly expensive ($74 for 1/4'' tape), but it might be worth it.

I don't know too much about reel to reels yet, but what exactly is the difference between the mic input and the RCA inputs in the back? does the mic input hit a preamp before, and the RCA not? Makes me wonder if vocals/anything would have an entirely different characteristic through the mic input vs the RCA input

>clyp.it/bjin3icb

I actually like this, you need some highs though. Add a pad/string/shaker in there

I'm still erasing and reusing the only reel I have that doesn't shed. I should definitely get a new reel though.

The mic inputs are the only malfunctioning part on my machine, so I can't say. Probably not too different though. I think the tape itself will be the main factor that determines the color of your sound, provided your machine works fine.

Tape machines are like film cameras, working in time rather than space. They give back what you give them. You have to practice making a tape mix sound good very much like taking a good photograph. A bad mix will still sound bad on tape.

But they are fun as hell to use. And once you run a mix through it, now you're analog.

Just got a pair of monitors, and I hearing a white noise coming from it. I'm using TRS cables instead of xlrs to connect it to the aux on my computer, is this whats causing it?

I was just assuming that the mic input would make a much hotter signal than the rca, but it sounds like it's not a problem. Guess I'll find out at some point.

So are you sending individual tracks through the tape, the entire mix, or both? Do you process a track, run it through the machine, then process again? Link me to some of your work if you've got some to share

was trying to make le epic trap
the problem is i don't have monitors

clyp.it/qbch1mid

there is no hard or easy daw

they just work in different ways

Where do you place the lowest note on your bass?

i.e: I'm writing in C major, the lowest note of the bassline is D2, but since I decided the lowest note on bass should be E2, I transpose everyting two semitones up thus playing in D major.

I'm usually at about D4

clyp.it/sbijxbak

an old song. I was trying to experiment with pushing the tape.

For my OTHER track, not the one I linked, sorry for the confusion.

That's pretty high considering the lowest note on a bass guitar is E2.

Sounds like it's distorting and it lacks structure.

If it helps it is just the hook and the outro but if the structure is still bad please explain in more detail why? Any other feedback for the song?

My bass guitar is a vst

E4 played by a vst will have the same frequency that an E4 played on a bass guitar, at least there are multiple oscillators in different octaves.

>tfw flat headphones and I didn't notice my recording was all fucked

It's hard to give constructive criticism because I have no frame of reference for this type of music. What kind of style are you trying to emulate?

How the fuck do i make anything using the black keys on my keyboard? I can only use white keys because if not it just don't sound right. What the fuck

git gud

So, I''ve been trying to give everyone feedback and now I'd like to know what do you guys think about this.

clyp.it/jltbis4h

I made it out of nowhere and I'd like to listen to music like this to get some inspo, what genre could be this?

What are you EQing?

youtube.com/watch?v=krEw04YvFcY

how do I get a sound like this?

>clyp.it/jltbis4h

Sounds like an Empire of the Sun song. What ever genre they are.

Non-generic EDM

Not entirely the music I would listen to, but damn you mixed it well. Sounds really organic. I'm assuming you were running at 7 1/2 ips. Noticeable drop in fidelity recording in 3 1/2 ips

More specifically progressive house.

Any specific artists?

Deadmau5, No Mana, Draft, Blackgummy

Well, start with the basics, the kick and the bass.

The bass-y sound you have sounds a bit out of place, too wide in the stereo field and as if there is reverb on it.

The other sounds, apart from kick and bass, should be highpassed so they don't muddy up the bass frequencies. Also, try putting some sidechain on the effecty things so they duck whenever the kick hits.

I've tried to make some EDM too but I always end up with a repetitive 16 bar loop and never make anything out of it
clyp.it/05aemou4

clyp.it/d0lnhknc

stopped caring lol

transpose the keyboard a half step and keep playing the white notes.

>non-generic EDM

Yes, it is possible you meme loving retard.

Thanks for the feedback, it really helps when people give it in detail.

I didn't know about them, I might grab an idea or two from this song I'm listening right now.

before:
clyp.it/oakpwfhq
after:
clyp.it/nkf0ne1u
Synth + drum machine recorded through an fx pedal, there's not much I can do at the moment besides EQing the master.

>clyp.it/jltbis4h
awesome track, but it sounds like everything thru the master buss was being processed by a tin can.
Found sounds, and lots of tape delay
>clyp.it/zpcevahq
squashed/limited as all F..

I used a really dirty tape emulation on the master bus because I like the way it sounds, but I know I've got serious issues mixing-wise, mostly because I'm mixing on cans. Thanks for the feedback, man.

Name examples.
Protip: you can't because you are just parroting

Learn theory fag

I don't really know what I'm doing

clyp.it/ty5mdagf

FL is for meme producers doe.

clyp.it/mcfmqewv

my attempt at this genre
im saying "this genre" because i dont know what genre this falls under

it starts getting good after 1:20

do you have a soundcloud or something?

Why?
>ITS JUST ISxd

yee
soundcloud.com/official_contingent

Don't like to shill it here that often but eh why not

The use of FL Studio is for memelords like you that slow down Japanese commercials for vaporware Bandcamp releases, that is how it is easier than Ableton.

But I use FL Studio too so who am I to speak ill of a fellow user?

>making vaporwave "music"
You should find a different hobby.

fuck you i'll do what this man says aiight!

clyp.it/tkljcjtd

Nah but thanks for the offer! :)

Please do, there is already enough trash.

>clyp.it/tkljcjtd
An especially shitty and annoying version of Starfucker with no creative drums, leads, or backing tracks.

Shouldn't you be doing something more with your time other than wasting it on me?

XD

Last /prod/ was pretty good, please don't start DAW flaming now.

clyp.it/upmwapkc

Just started working on this one

lul

clyp.it/r5krbfj0

thoughts?

If u want feedback on something, reply and link it. I'll get back to you when i can

london? That you?

>clyp.it/r5krbfj0
dope

Have you ever heard about the mono utility?

Try playing outside of c major and a minor

clyp.it/hbzcwvar

made a house beat with some funky synths. should I finish this?

no

lmao, I wish. thanks for the compliment tho

thanks