My gaming laptop became obsolete a couple of years ago so I only played games on my PlayStation...

My gaming laptop became obsolete a couple of years ago so I only played games on my PlayStation. But recently I have saved up a bit ($2,000 AUD) and I am keen to get back into PC gaming.
However, I was thinking of buying a desktop rather than a laptop.

I am unsure if I should build a computer or buy a premade one. If I choose to build, my knowledge of computer specs is fairly basic, and I have no experience in building a PC.I have been leaning towards buying a prebuild simply out of convenience, Is a prebuild better or is it the other way around (generally speaking)

I have a budget range of $1,400 - $2,000 for everything including the monitor, mouse and keyboard. I do not know what I should invest in. Pls help.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=uZR-a35sxLg
logicalincrements.com/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>buying a premade gaming PC

Reddit.com/r/buildapc

Should be able to help you out.

you will be able to build a much better PC in terms of performance than what you will get if you buy a premade. For your own sake, just do the necessary researrch into building your own, as it is incredibly easy and yields much better results.

tl;dr: don't be lazy, build it yourself

>Gaming laptop
>Pre built

dude just get alien ware laptop
god teir

yes it is so bazinga cmon

Alien ware is for the "I don't know jack shit about computers, so I'm buying shit that looks cool to play LoL." Of computers. Better off buying almost anything else prebuilt.

Literally just finished building my custom gaming PC today, trust me, don't buy some premade cancer.

This is what you buy -
>Motherboard
>CPU (the chip, make sure you get the cpu fan with it)
>RAM sticks
>A graphics card (try and get something like a gtx 960-980)
>A HDD, 1TB is usually a suitable size
>Power supply
>Case
>Wireless Network adapter (not 100% needed)

As far as installation goes, you usually take the motherboard out and install the CPU/CPU fan and RAM on it, then put it inside the case. I usually plug the hard drive in next, as most of the newer graphics cards make it harder to plug the SATA shit in because they're blocking the way. Obviously next plug the graphics card in, then check that all your case fans and CPU fan connections and plugged into the motherboard so your PC doesn't melt, and connect the case connection into the pins at the bottom (theere is labels telling you where to put the power button connect etc). Now you mount the power supply in the bottom of the case and connect all the cords. You will have the giant cord that goes into the big ass socket on the motherboard for the main power supply, then you will usually need a cord going to power the cpu fan, then depending on how good your graphics card is 2 cords powering that. Don't forget to install your network adapter as well if you got one

How much did your PC cost you user?

i5 6500
Any h170 board, gigabyte, fatal1ty, pick your poison
16gb g.skill 2133 ddr4
256 samsung evo 850 ssd
Case + 600w power supply, and a 22" display port, or dvi screen

Lastly a Gefore 960, it'll run pretty much anything (Fallout4, mad max, gta5) at 1080p Ultra (At leat High - ultra)

Yes the 1070 and 1080 are out, their both $800 to $1200 cards, and are a total money sink for 1080p gaming, unless you want to spring for a 4k monitor and turn a $1200 complete built into a $3000 one.

wait until the 1070 or 1080 comes out

Other than that you just need some basic knowledge

>Don't fuck up the CPU installation, look for the triangle on the chip and match it up with your motherboard. It can be nerve racking putting it in because of how much tension is on the lever, but it's meant to be like that
>Don't get any static on the motherboard otherwise is will ruin it, make sure you are grounded and far away from carpet and other sources for static to build up (can touch a piece of metal to remove static as well)
>Make sure you do the thermal paste right when installing the fan

Honestly if you know the basic steps you can just look up shit on how to install the rest on youtube, order the shit from and online store and install each part with care, the result is satisfying and worth it

Depends on how good you want it, but mine was about $2200

Intel i7-6700K 4.0GHz
GTX-970
Decent Motherboard
16 GB of RAM

say someone wanted a setup to play Battlefield 1 and wants to build, but knows shit about computers and only has a shitty 6 year old Toshiba.
help?

Furthermore, Here is a 1080p Very High - Ultra Build, Pick your poison on brands, this was a budget build going to Price / performance.

Definitely build it yourself. It's easier than it seems and it's a lot better overall.
A quick example for a build would be

Gtx 1070
16gb RAM
i5 or i7
1tb HDD
250gb ssd
Z97 motherboard

Go to Sup Forums.

I used their advice and google to build a pretty decent PC. It's pretty easy to put together, just like lego. The Logical Increments site will help.

You will pay much more for a less capable machine if you buy pre-built.
It's up to you to decide if you want to pay the price of convenience.

This should give you an idea of the value you can get with building your own PC.
youtube.com/watch?v=uZR-a35sxLg

And I'll put a piece of advice here you'll see over and over again, don't skimp on the PSU.

I built a PC for AUD$1400 last year.

i56600k @4.5Ghz w/ W60 cooler (cooler actually bought later)
Factory O/C 780ti
16GB DDR4 Ram
Z170 Series Mobo
28" Monitor.
1TB HDD
256Gb SSD.
750W Corsair PSU

>$2000 AUD.

From what I hear, you can get a component and a half with that. Aussie prices are fucking insane, despite a direct conversion being about 0.74 USD.

z97's last gen bro, H170 is current (skylake) where Z170 designates overclock-ability options (To be paired with a 'k' processor)

gaming
laptop
>pick one

I have that case

The gtx 1070 is like 400 dollars

>buying a meme card

just don't mate.

The X70 series is a red herring everytime. It looks good, but it's not. Either spend for a X80 series, or pick up an X60.

It's also a Mid range 4k card, so, unless he want's to go all in with a 4k display to boot, seems out of op's price range tho, it's burning money on a 1080p build.

This, It doesn't even share the same architecture as the 1080, it's a complete pos

One of the most retarded comments ive seen today

I highly recommend a SSD (Solid State Drive) for your OS and possibly some games. Then get a normal HD for bulk storage like music and movies.

The SSD really makes the computer feel snappy. It will boot like 5X faster with a SSD and open all programs faster. It will also load levels in games much faster. I have noticed I am always one of the first people to log into a server on multiplayer games when a map changes.

SSDs have come down in price a lot in the past couple years. Highly recommend you get one. It really improves the experience of using your PC and makes it feel a lot faster.

You're dumb, you don't even know why you hate Alienware let alone how to write it out. The computers aren't shit, they're overpriced, as is the problem with a lot of pre built. Learn more about what you hate so you don't look like a fucking pleb tier faggot, you God damn candy ass roody poo.

I think it has to do with shipping costs as well. It doesn't help that they are really fucking far from everywhere in the world.

I've got a 4TB SSHD that works pretty well for me. It's the best of both worlds and isn't too expensive.

check out /r/buildapc

hybrid drives are nice, but I don't mind deciding which data does on a HD and which data goes on a SSD.

As I understand it hybrid drives look at what data you use the most and move that to the SSD portion for you while it keeps the bulk storage that isn't accessed as much on the HD.

Cool concept, but personally I like deciding what data I want on the SSD.

>not GTX 1070/1080
Are you stupid

Built a PC last November. Black Friday specials at Newegg and Micro Center + credit card offers and cashback saved me probably $400.

i7-6700k (not necessary)
980TI
Decent mobo
16 GB RAM
128GB SSD
1TB HDD
850W Power supply

Came out to ~$1200 with the Black Friday deals and various credit card offers. But it's completely bare-bones. No wifi, low SSD space, etc.

This is US pricing, though. Australia would probably much higher.

1070 is 40% more expensive than a 970

>$2,000 AUD
Maybe you can buy a potato and stick a Gtx 285 in it or something

Here's all the help you need
logicalincrements.com/

Black friday is an awesome time to build a PC. I always try to wait and buy all my computer upgrades once a year on black friday. You can save like 40% or more on costs.

Gtx 950 .i5 4590T. 8gb.dual ssd. No sys, cpu or psu fan. Virtual soundless.

1070 is a pos, and is $800 aus, it's also an entry level 4k card and a money burn for 1080p
1080 is $1200 aus, which moth makes it out of op's price range, all by itself, not to mention it being a 4k card, meaning 4k display.

He can build a 1080p Ultra complete pc, case, pse, keyboard mouse, everything for $1400 with a 960

Are you stupid?

Yeah, that's exactly why I like them because I'm too lazy to prioritize what should go on which drive so it does it for me, and my interests in shock games I want to play change up pretty often so it's nice to have something that automatically accommodates that. I still think there's more performance benefit to having a seperate HDD and SSD though.

Side view. M350 case. 180watt HP workstation laptop brick. Gigabyte h81tn mobo

Alternate.com
Has a compatebility building system

so wait you used a pcie extension cable to make the GPU external? How is the GPU powered?

Gpu is powered by the powered 4x mining riser, which is powered by the sata power cable that is fed by the motherboard (most thin itx motherboards have sa sata power connector onboard)