This should have been on Sup Forums....
Stardust or TMWSTW

talking bout stardust

this one is better
youtube.com/watch?v=sGZDwxnjG1g

that album fucking sucks except for the title track

I don't think MWSTW should be anyone's first Bowie album
But both Width of a Circle and All the Madmen are better than the title track

Toss all that derivative shit and listen to this.

Dont fall for pink floyd meme, its just pretentious borning shit.

fuck yeah

the alpha and omega

Squeezed between the AAA megahit tracks like Bennie and The Jets, Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, Candle in the Wind, Saturday Night's Alright (For Fighting) are wonderful lesser known tracks like Sweet Painted Lady, Roy Rogers, Social Disease and all tied together at the end with the hauntingly beautiful: Harmony

If you want to experience the high watermark of Elton John, and a crucial moment in pop music history look no further. Few albums are this dense with such well executed and polished works.

Social Disease is great

also rocket man (I know it's a different album)has the best bass track

I disagree completely. They're definitely a polarizing sound, but the experimental work they did was hugely important. Pic related, my favorite album of theirs
> inb4 not A Saucerful of Secrets
IMHO One of These Days is their single best song, even over their more mainstream classics

Just explore user. It doesn't matter how, just look around. The worst thing you can do, especially if you say you have no "culture", is to start with the classics. So coming here and asking is the worst possible plan.

What I mean by this is that just simply listening to a classic album won't tell you the whole story on why it is good, or important. Not to mention, you might not even like it. An example of both of these problems would be Deafheaven's Sunbather.

A person who has never listened to metal before, let alone black metal or any of the other "harder" metal genres, will not like it. They simply won't. If the hardest thing you know of is disturbed's first album, then chances of you tolerating, let alone liking Sunbather, is slim. Which is a shame. You need to be brought up slowly within the metal genre as a whole to acclimate your tastes and begin to like something so vastly different. (This heavily applies to metal as a whole, most people can't stand the "screamo music").

Just as well, to what I said before, you need to understand the environment that the album was released in, and why it might be important and why it might not be. Was it the pinnacle of the genre? The pathfinder? The finale? Did it make some kind of profound statement, or was it just a good sounding album? All of this matters. Sunbather, for example, many would argue is a push against what a typical "black metal" album (and band, to a larger extent), must be, as well as a metal album in general. This is an important aspect into understanding and appreciating the full breadth of the album. This is something that can't, or most likely, won't be understood upon just randomly listening to it with no knowledge on the genre, or metal as a whole.

>inb4 hurr durr patrician faggot

I'm seriously not trying to be. I want people to explore new music. Just do it on your own terms, not because Sup Forums said it was the thing you need to like. Who knows, you might hate music as a whole.

>Being this retarded

i saw you post this thread earlier on Sup Forums
tip: don't go there for recs, they won't do any better than your average dad (or just rollingstone magazine) would

Before I wrote my post recommending Elton John's Goodbye Yellow Brick Road I basically came at it from the standpoint of "Well if he's going to like Elton John, then this is the album that would best facilitate that."

I dont think OP was necessarily asking for music that he or she HAS to love but rather good entry point albums or "standards"
Like I said, that's just how I interpreted the request.

hot buttered soul is the shit. be sure to check this out, OP.

The first Genesis album I ever heard, everything else with Steve Hackett is really good too though

>Who knows, you might hate music as a whole.
and if you realize this is the case, OP, feel free to come back to Sup Forums. you'll fit right in.

Liam is Peng

Tony Banks approves of this message

>I have no culture
Inject yogurt
???
profit