Any Sup Forumstards here who practise a combat sport?

Any Sup Forumstards here who practise a combat sport?

I'm out of shape and want to get started on some combat sport, maybe boxing or muay thai. Any tips for a complete beginner? Is it better if I get fit first through weight training or just go for it?

Also, if you compete please tell us how long it took between when you first started training and your first fight/tournament.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=KSIoHp97kSg
youtube.com/watch?v=MijLI4L0eIY
youtube.com/watch?v=3r8CLUZkS0A
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Krav maga. Used to do competitive bjj, only took a few months before started competing. Did pretty shit to start with but ended up winning a few fights. Krav is much more practical and street oriented as opposed to jitz which will see you stomped into the ground by your opponent's friends in a normal street situation

Im doing muay thai and it is though.
Muay thai is way better than simple boxing, you do the boxing plus the kicking kneeing elbowing.

Boxing and muay thai are both great. Highly recommend either for fitness and self defence

krav maga is 90% ball kick hit

How are krav maga competitions? Like you said, it's a very practical fight so what rules are there to follow?

do you compete yet?

if ur looking to defend yourself and look good while doing it go for muay thai if u want to go to tournaments i recommend boxing

14 years TKD
> tkd
2 years mma
A bit of judo and bjj
Currently doing daido-juku (basically japanese mma with a traditional vibe and slightly different ruleset. No dancing though)

Got kanto qualifiers for japanese championship in September.

> falling for the krabby magoo meme
Good goy

are you ethnic japanese?

Lol yeah pretty much

Krav doesn't compete. It's strictly self defensive, no comps.

I'm a boxer. Boxing isn't as great as, say, BJJ or even karate for street fights, but hey, a good punch or two is usually all it takes... good workout and fun.

I have no doubt I'd take you down, mate.

Nope. Ausfag living in tokyo.

Had my first MMA fight in march, my opponent got DQ'd after a kick to my balls. Could post the video if anyone interested

That's the problem. You think thst because you train with no resistance.

Mate, i have done bjj for years and if rather have boxing to fall back in for a street fighting situation. Don't underestimate your skill

Wanna learn to defend yourself on the street?
Best bet is to find an MMA gym and learn bits of everything so you can comfortably box, kick, and wrestle. The best "pure" martial art for self defense is definitely Muay Thai. It's focused on basically beating the shit out of people with your elbows.
>5 years karate/MMA experience

Boxer here, in all honesty you probably don't need much more in day to day life.

Most people will throw fists to begin with anyway.

Is it true they dont like when a foreigner compete against them in martial arts there? In competitions do you ever notice they try to go extra hard on you?

This

What do you think of Wing Tsun?
Any good in possible real life combat/ Self-defense ?

Not that user, but in my experience training in Asia yeah they do. I've trained in Thailand and Japan and both places they put you with their hardest coaches/trainers and spar way harder with you than they do with each other

Yes, great to see another person who does tkd, I'm on 11 years

Practiced muay thai for a while, not up to competition level though. Great to get in shape for sure. For self defence, just take up running. It's better than any martial art... Unless you just want to get in drunk fights, of course. Then muay thai still, i suppose. Or MMA or whatever.

I assumed you trained muay thai over there? How was the experience?

Want to learn to defend yourself on the street? Here are the objective best styles
> don't live in a shithole fu
> don't be a cunt jutsu
> parkour
> boxing/muay thai + bjj / judo / wrestling

In that order

In all honesty? Not really. It was good back when you either knew kung fu or knew nothing, but it doesn't stack up to alot of other styles. Though most pure martial arts are like that, e.g. taekwon do, jiu jitsu, most karate styles, and most kung fu styles.

Not in my experience. Dudes I train with are bro as fuck. Most people I've met through it are genuinely happy that people from overseas are interested in the style.

CMA is the laughing stock of the martial arts world. With the only exceptions being sanda and that folk wrestling style.

Yeah muay Thai in Thailand. I've been over a few times. If you already know some level of martial arts and have good fitness the experience is great. They drill you hard as fuck in fitness training and then in sparring, but it's great to be pushed out of your comfort zone. I really loved it.

Start savate, full contact karate or muay thai. You'll be a lot better off.

t. 4th dan TKDfag

Did you get to compete there, and were you training with or without pads?

stfu gary

Kek post video pls

Are there a lot of transferable skills to savate? Or would it basically be starting fresh?

youtube.com/watch?v=KSIoHp97kSg

Was that the first round of the fight?

If so, you guys looked like shit.

Most of the kicks go straight across. Savate is probably the only other style with extensive use of side kicks. You'll have to get used to defending low kicks and chasse basse (sp), basically a thigh stomp.

Also, you have shit hands so expect to be tagged a lot for a while

3rd

>Is it better if I get fit first through weight training or just go for it?
You only get as much out of class as you can get out of your body.
Just jog and do bodyweight exercises for a month, and then go to the gym, so you're not too tired to get the best bang out of your buck.
You're going to get little out of class if you're too tired to continue after warm ups. You can't even go as often if you're not in better shape. You pay for 5 days a week, but that doesn't mean you have to make it to every single class.
And if you do go every day, you develop delayed onset muscle soreness, which is just stupid, don't over work your body.

Muay Thai is more well rounded than Boxing.
Boxers only win against Boxers. Muay Thai practitioners beat Boxers in Karate fights, Kickboxing fights, Muay Thai fights, and MMA fighters.

When I was a little kid, I was in Karate and Taekwondo. I later learned Boxing when I got older. In my teen years I did Boxing, Kickboxing, and MMA.

I only started competing when I was 18 because of how much I moved around.

I've had 5 amateur Boxing fights, I lost 3, won 2. One win by KO, the other win by decision.

I've competed in 11 amateur Kickboxing fights, and I include Karate in this category.
I won a good amount.

I haven't competed in MMA, but I train with and fight against competitors.
I'm 22 years old now, and train MMA.

It's his first amateur fight. Did you expect prime Anderson silva?

no and i dont plan to

I've taken karate classes for 7 now and I love it. It gives me all I need: I stay in shape, it is fun, selfcontrol, speed, strenght, balance etc. I really love it and it doesn't take long to start competing. I highly suggest to choose karate. The best part is the foot kicks. ;)

so between all those styles you trained, which one you felt there was more animosity/rivalry between athletes?

Their form was just god awful. The fact that it was the third round makes sense.

Great job getting in there dude. It takes serious balls to get into a cage against someone you know is there to kick your head off.

Yeah I was tiread as fuck tbh. And thanks, I've competed in BJJ before but this was my first time in MMA. That guy I fought against is known for being a cunt, guess everyone was right.

For some reason my club train a lot on hands with boxing techniques but I've been told basically everybody else just does mainly legs...

I'd need to see the rest of the fight before calling him a cunt. Groin shots are usually accidental.

However, it was pretty fucking clear he hit you in the cup and he still needed the ref to wave him off. That's a little fucked.

Your hands are still shit m8. You've just been training with people who have even shittier hands.

brb uploading the rest

Karate is awesome btw. I like that it includes hands and legs, you have to use both and that trains your brain.

Full contact karate is cool. Shitokan et al is pyjama tag and air punching

I used to train but stopped in college, fucking miss it

there are some krav maga places near me that look somewhat interesting, but i don't like touching people any more than i like being touched.

what can you recommend i can learn by watching on television without touching someone or going outside?

heres round 1, round 2 incoming
youtube.com/watch?v=MijLI4L0eIY

I've been training sinve I was 12. Have had thoughts about quitting but just can't do it, love it too much.

Literally nothing. If you can't train with a resisting opponent you're wasting your time.

wrassling so you could rub bodies woth sweaty men

round 2
youtube.com/watch?v=3r8CLUZkS0A

I didn't "compete" but I did do a lot of fight rounds with one of the camps prime fighters, so that was pretty close. I also did a lot of pad rounds but I do them at home so it wasn't anything new.

Wwe or Olympic?

Actually the first 3 years I trained classical karate. It was a really good start for competitons. In the next place I was the best with positions and movements.

>I also did a lot of pad rounds but I do them at home so it wasn't anything new.
I mean if you were wearing shin/head protection in sparring

I did most of the rounds with shin pads on, but I had a few with nothing but gloves, cup, and a mouth guard. Good fun

That takes some balls especially with all the elbows and knees in that sport

>kung fu, wing chun, 14 years
while I was 19 I also did some boxing for 3 years together with wing chun to get some mass and power and would go to the gym.
on top of all that since I was 17 I have been on a controlled diet
>i am now 196cm, keeping myself at 91kg and 9% body fat
>in these 14 years i collected a bunch of small medals, i think theres like 80 or more of them i don't even know to be honest and i also have 4x big trophies 2x 2nd place 1x first place and 1x third place.

while i was very young i tried football, basketball, baseball, hockey, swimming, tennis, karate, i tried fucking almost everything i was allowed to but only kung fu out of all fighting styles really got to me... especially the way you train and how much you learn about human body and mind.

so idk try everything like i did and see what you like, that's honestly what i did and I'm glad that i did that...

I'm assuming you spent more time grappling than striking?

fuck! i did tae kwon do as a kid and it was cool. i absolutely hated the gay "combatives" bullshit i had to endure in the army. fucking nonsense. goddamn collar holds and "alright get on your knees and face each other". i need a hobby though and i think krav maga could be useful.

>i am now 196cm, keeping myself at 91kg and 9% body fat
fuck you must be shredded

Yea bjj is still my main thing

In training I mean

any gym worth a shit will put you through the ringer for the first 6 months to get your ass in shape. If you are serious about getting into the ring to compete, stamina will be priority 1.

I had no idea how long 3 minutes could feel until I started boxing.

Look I won't lie it was pretty intimidating the first few rounds, but I had an enormous size and range advantage which worked in my favour so it didn't end up being too bad. I did cop a lot of knees to the body and a few elbows to the head, but it was nothing I hadnt felt before so it wasn't a big deal.

Krabby magoo is literally military combatives but replace bored infantry with hambeasts who think everyone is trying to rape them, soccer moms and skinny-fat fedoras who think they're 2dedly.

I can tell.

Southpaw too, you were excited and went hard at first, which led to you losing steam in the third.

I never understood why people would go for body strikes when they can aim for the head

>Lol
>I was sparring with a friend of mine infront of a bar
> Sup Forums called the police
> 2 hot officers came to us
> whats going on here?
> me and my friend are like, nothing, nothing is goin on
> officers now look mad and repeat their question
> friend starts explaining
> I am a boxer and my friend here also knows martial arts so we are just sparring
> officers wright down our names and tell us to spar somewhere else, then leave
> best night ever
(Firts contact with police officers)

boxer here.

A well placed gut shot will fuck your day right up.

it'll slow you down and make it harder to breathe

yeah, i've heard all that negative shit before. there's two places near me that seem legit though. they aren't focused on ham planets and soccer moms. i want to do something that's useful but i don't want to train 4 days a week for competitions. i need something casual.

I guess I was too nervous and wanted to end that asap, those rounds seemed like an eternity

Because the head is far easier to defend, a decent liver shot will net you a tko and getting your gut pounded tires you out which then opens up your head as your hands start dropping.

Are you supposed to aim right in the stomach or liver?

Everyone thinks that at the start but trust me you learn why. Being smashed in the body takes the wind out of you, and just drains energy because you have to keep tightening all your core muscles to brace for the hit. Also body shots set up good head shots, because people often drop their guard when defending them. That being said, I still mainly aim for the head when I spar, but that's because I'm a tall fucker so getting body shots is impractical.

but if you have strong abs you can take those strikes, no?

Kidney is also a great spot to hit

can someone make a webm where a football flies in and hits him in the nuts instead?

You can but not for long.

Try to focus on controlling pace. At amateur level one of the biggest advantages is knowing when to go hard and when not to.

Work on your hands a bit, really focus on clean shots as opposed to heavy ones.

If you're just out to get exercise, have fun, and meet people, I'll always recommend medieval combat and battlegames. HEMA is quite serious and formalized. SCA heavy combat is more fun, team-oriented, less historical, and almost always followed by drinking. Then there are full-contact boffer games like Dagorhir and Belegarth, which are like SCA but cheaper to get into and usually a sightly younger crowd. These will not directly make you good at kicking ass in a realistic scenario, but they do at least develop generic combat-related skills; like reading an opponent, reacting quickly, watching multiple enemies, taking advantage of your allies' actions, and body mechanics. Every system I've listed is roleplay-optional or roleplay-free.

But if learning to kick ass in a realistic scenario is the driving force in this situation, then you'll want to take suggestions from some of the other people in the thread.

Fair enough, everyone has a breaking point

thanks fam will keep those in mind

I have done high school/collegiate wrestling, MMA, jiu jitsu, and Muay Thai the one that's best for conditioning by far is wrestling. But to excel truly you need to put on some muscle. And if you wrestle before all else it makes every other form of fighting very easy and uses skills you already have such as flexibility for high kicks and submission as well as speed.

>i want to do something that's useful
That discounts krab then.
Boxing/muay thai/ bjj / judo / wrestling

No one's forcing you to compete m8.

Any of you guys who train ever been outnumbered in a fight?

Yes.

Ribs, solar plexus, anything that's open is a target.

What division in college? I heard roids are rampant in wrestling is that true?

Solar plexus, kidney, liver, it's all good.

Go watch bas rutten + liver shot or kyokushin knee knock outs on youtube.

I don't get in fights because I'm not a nigger