Sup Sup Forums. Third time I've done this now

Sup Sup Forums. Third time I've done this now

Ask a Sound Engineer anything

Obviously not my pic

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/u3IAybZOt-E?t=60
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Explain ohms in relation to mic cable length.

The longer the cable the greater the ohmic resistance meaning you get a shitty signal and a hot wire. Is that really your test of my honesty?

Should you compress bass pre master or wait till you master

Depends. If it's a DI bass guitar I'd compress during mixing. If you're recording an amped bass it can depend on the sound you want

OP needs to go shit/shower/shave real quick, keep it bumped until I get back. Maybe 15 minutes

How do you mix a kick and a sub bassline without muddyness. Whilst maintaining a bassy kick

How much money do you make p/year AFTER tax

bump

>hot wire

lol.
Not a sound engineer.

bump

What albums have you learned the most from just by listening?

Slight side-chain
About £50k/y
Anything by Bowie or The Stone Roses

Good advice thanks, How do you get a decent master without your track distorting.

Run me through your mastering process

Well i use fl studio, the plug in a use is called "Maximus". There are 3 sections
Low,mid, high, the standard stuff. Each section you can compress so you can get a level sound. In the end raise the overall sound, however i can get mine to a decent loadness whilst not distorting.

Can't*

Ugh, I fucking hate fl. I really don't know how to use it. All I can really say is you're probably over-compressing and reducing the dynamic range, so when you bring the whole track up, you're just getting a solid waveform of distorted shittiness. You need peaks and troughs in your waveform

Can you tell me what a Sound Engineer does?

Also what headphones or speakers do you use?

I record live instruments, mix and master the audio tracks, produce electronic music when needed and release tracks as complete mixdowns.

For what? Personal use, for work, at the studio, at home?

Sweet. How the fuck do u edit music. Showtime of wave pad and some audacity I'm a tard. I wanna do remixes mostly and make hard techno beats. Help a nigga out? Nb4 spend billions on equipment. I wanna start under a grand and on my pc. Any advice?

>How the fuck do u edit music. Showtime of wave pad and some audacity I'm a tard.

Anybody fluent in nigger want to translate this to english for me?

Lol, how does wireless play in here tho? Not a test just curious. Can u throw like an fml signal a mile or 2 without it sounding like shit or is that frowned upon?

Nigga what? Type in coherent sentences or get the fuck out

I'll simplify it to only headphones. Which are your favorite pair of headphones? And how come you use different pairs at home and at work?

I've noticed a lot of electronic dance music these days lacks 'quality'. There are too many bedroom DJ's who do not seem to understand how to use their software correctly. Even some hit tracks are overloaded with unbalanced middling EQ (especially EDM) or bloated bass. Most are distorted piles of excrement. Do you still do good business considering everyone is their own producer (or think they are) these days?

Sony mdr

Lol, sorry.
>short of wave pad and a little use with audacity.
>youtube tuts are shit
> looking for advise to get started
>fucking niggers showed up at work

Op, I'm a 10 year hobbyist and have been using studio one for years. Any general advice before I open my doors for money?

Not OP here but I can give you an answer. First of all don't mix and master on FL studio you pleb.

Anyway, if you want to avoid distortion when mastering you must first use a limiter and set it to a value around -0.1/-0.3db. Then add a bit of compression (2db) and boost the song volume with a soft clipping plugin until it reaches -0.1 DB (or until it's loud enough but don't go beyong 0.0db). If you really want your song to be loud use a brickwall limiter instead of a normal limiter (and fuck you if you're into that loudness war bullshit).

Dre Beat Pros at work, skullcandy at home.

who's the worst band/artist you've ever worked with?

Ah good advice thanks, i have another question. What are some important things to know when EQing in general?

I have bose in ears for my phone, I don't actually know the model because they were a gift. I have a pair of ATH-M30x's at home and my studio uses Sennheiser HD28 pros

I have different pairs because it's not my studio, I work there

I mainly record and mix bands, the EDM side of things is more of a side-gig to keep our skills current

Get a cheap old version of cubase, or pirate it and a shit load of plug ins, and just go ham until it works. Literally. Get prologue, retrologue, and any HALion plugins you can and just suck at it until you don't

Advice on? You're thinking of running your own studio? Or releasing your tracks?

what is your favorite genre to record?

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Great advice thanks, I'd prefer quality over loudness. But however my sounds are really quite compared to alot of average tracks comparable to mine

Another sound engineer reporting in.

Do you just want artists you've heard of? Because the worst divas are always the unknown fucks who think daddy's money can make them superstars
Less is more. Unless you;re going for some specific, noticeable effect, you have to keep EQ subtle. Also, different instruments get different qualities of their sound from different frequency ranges. Find out which frequencies correspond to which qualities and use that to get the exact sound you want. Ans don't be afraid to use EQ to completely drop out a frequency that's causing your problems

Most kinds of metal, then probably solo artists on acoustic

I have this song stuck in my head. I goes like:

do du do - do - do - do-duuuuu

What song is it?

U suck my dick faggot!

Running my own studio, I have plenty of experience recording for free, mostly for local acts and friends bands, however I have built somewhat of a rapport in the area and my dream is to operate my own studio.

>But however my sounds are really quite compared to alot of average tracks comparable to mine

The Romantics - What I Like About You

"Party in the USA" Mikey Cyrus

Hello fellow sound engineers, how would you guys microphone a medieval bagpipe in a live environment? It has to be wireless, so the musician is able to move around freely.

Just start charging the people you know and see where it goes from there. I don't run my own studio so I don't really know the ins and outs of the business side of things

Dubs wins this one.

youtu.be/u3IAybZOt-E?t=60

Take a 57 and ram it up his arse. It'll muffle the screechy dying sounds just enough for clear sound.

Darude - Sandstorm

is your PIN number One-Two, One-Two?

Wireless clip mic

NIGGA U BROKE Sup Forums! COLOR INSIDE THE LINES OR GTFO! hahaha!

>Sound engineer
>Posts live board

You're a tech faggot, stop trying to force the engineer meme

ramtein du hast mich

No, it's 4285

I'm in studio with my band atm, give me 3 things i can do to make the process more effective. Metal band btw

More effective how?

Sweet thanks that helps alot, What do you usually use compressors for and what situations do you use them in?

Post your set-up, I'll compare it to mine considering I make my living doing this

Techs set up the equipment, engineers do the recording. Sit down, son

Stop browsing Sup Forums ?

>and a hot wire
Wat. Do you even have any idea of the potentials involved? If you think that's getting hot you're retarded.

Why should I replace my XLR cables for AES/EBU tho? Was analog and need to switch to digital

More specific?

Any experience with a shure beta 98 and very loud audio sources?

Scooter - one. (Always hardcore) great... thanks asshole now I got it in my brainbox

Not at home or at the studio
I compress most tracks, simply because recorded sound sounds nicer when you tidy it up a bit

No the the monitor and foh techs with the LD guide over a generic bunch of hands who set it up. Having been in the situation to instruct groups of braindead union hands how a line array works multiple times, I can understand your confusion thinking you're a real person

any way i can get more out of the studio time i have?
no u

I'm looking for a mic preamp arround 400 euros. I want it to have a more of a vintage sound and be able to distort it a little. I've been doing that with plugins until now. It's for vocals, mainly hard rock.
Should I get the gap pre-73 or the warm audio wa12? I have an se electronics 2200a II microphone.

what books should i read to learn the basics?
how can i undertand better the shape of sounds?

M8 I got a D in A level physics for a reason. And replace them because you'll get more use out of AES/EBU in a digital system
...stop browsing Sup Forums. You're wasting the studio's time, asshole, why would I help you pay them less?

Didn't you become obsolete when autotune was invented?

If Rebecca Black was getting eaten by ants would you try to save her?

I really want to get into mixing/recording on a real surface instead of a DAW. I've looked at the Yamaha MD8, but I'm not sure if thats the best option. Any suggestions for hard mixing/recording surfaces that don't cost a lot of money?

Ok sorry if im asking crappy/nooby questions but this fasinates me. So if i had a sub bass in a track thats over powering, should i compress, EQ some lower freqs out or just lower the volume. or all the above

OP is not a sound engineer and has no idea what the fuck he is talking about.

Is it even possible to make a whole mix louder, like, way louder, without clipping? Can I apply something after mastering? The loudness maximizers I use are allways compressing after a certain point. Is there a programm/software/plugin which simply increases the volume, and if not, why is it impossible?

>Implying sound engineers can mix and master
Nigga you're a cable plugger, simple as that. Sound engineers ONLY connect shit to the snake and maybe fuck with microphones and different techniques. Don't mess with the mix and even worse, don't ever touch the mastering process.

Drop out very few higher frequencies, soft-knee compression and just turn it down a bit. If you want your kick to stand out, side-chain the sub's compression very subtly to the kick

How does it make you feel that I'm a sound engineer and I am the main force in mixing/mastering at my studio?

So you don't have any pics?

I'm currently at work, here's one that's been on my phone for about a week, I have a full rack to the left and more guitars + a drumkit to the right

OP here. I'd appreciate other people in the biz chipping in, I'm still learning a lot

Tissues for when the mix is so fire that you straight up jizz in your pants?

warm audio stuff is tight, never had a bad experience using it so far. Obviously it's not the original but for the price it's probably the closest you'll get

It actually makes me giggle as "your studio" is shit if you actually MIX AND MASTER IN THE SAME STUDIO, WITH THE SAME EQUIPMENT.

For when I have people over and make them squirt out of their ear-pussies

Well, sorry that the guy I work for has the money to do more than one thing in one building

Thanks, I'm leaning towards it, it's good getting some insight on it!

Why are the people that talk up their music always the worst ones OP?
Which kind of artists do you HATE working with?

Have you ever worked with a rapper that wasn't monotone?

Have you ever mixed anything down that hit the Billboard?

Thanks for answering thes

is me, I just bought 2 WA-76's to put in the rack, leme see if I can find the pic

ROFL, keep on going son, enjoy your "professional mixes" and "radio-level masters". You and "the guy you work for" are a disgrace to the industry.
>more """""""" please

I don't know if anybody knows anything about bass.
But I'm looking to purchase a 5 string bass for around 500$. My main options are a squire vintage mod jazz bass or a yamaha thrbx505.
People usually say that the squier is almost as good as a fender mex and that the yamaha doesn't have lots of character.

How do you feel about beats headphones?

Inferiority complex

Rich kids with no talent that have just paid for studio time because they can

Yeah, a few of Wales' underground scene are fucking amazing

I've had one or tow things personally, the studio has had a few. I worked with a guy in my home county that produced a lot of Placebo's stuff

Alright

rate my setup niggers

great panorama skills/10