USA scrapping F-35 program for Super Hornets

reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-defense-idUSKBN14B2GW

>"Based on the tremendous cost and cost overruns of the Lockheed Martin F-35, I have asked Boeing to price-out a comparable F-18 Super Hornet!" Trump said.

>Lockheed shares fell 2 percent and Boeing's rose 0.7 percent in after-hours trading after Trump's tweet Thursday.

>Super Hornets with F-35 capabilities

Can it be done?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=z6of2GuhSQg
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CASC_Rainbow
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

The f18 isn't stealth though. Is stealth just a meme?

would be funny but not going to happen
f-35 will be a thing with or without trump

kek this can't be real

Isn't the F35 an all around disaster anyway?

Sure, AESA radar, two other mods for marines and navy, short take off to cover for vertical take off, new avionics and you're right there. I'm worried tho that they have to decomission F15 and B52 and they should go elsewhere. So prolly F35 will go thru some shakiness like A10 and then be back in the game. I mean America could have two tridents of F16,A10,F18 and F22, AC130, F35 and that works, kinda... Hopefully they don't fuck up cause F15 will go.

good for them, Lockheed should work in F-35 themselves instead of burning tax payer's money
they used the least money efficient way of develping an aircraft and the US just gave them unlimited funding

Uhm, it's three jets, plus attack modification so actually four, friend.

No, and Trump doesn't have the power to scrap it anyway.

exactly how much power does the president have over big military programs?

Reuters confirmed for fake news I suppose.

Mad Dog Mattis is SoD now and he loves the F-35, as do most of Marine Corp brass. They would never cancel it.

Trump is just (rightly) swinging his dick around to remind all the corporatists who is in charge. It's been a good 40-50 years since they were reminded of that and it's long overdue. Doesn't mean the fighter would ever be canceled because, let's face it, it's elite as fuck.

Even if he can't scrap it by himself, he does have the power to put hold on it and shit talk them publicly so they'll bail

No. It's either the greatest or second greatest fighter ever made depending on what capabilities you prioritize.
Not much at all. The House is in charge of all spending. He can say he doesn't want it and bully the fuck out of the contractor to get concessions (which is clearly his goal) but he has zero control of the contract.

>he does have the power to put hold on it
No he doesn't
>and shit talk them publicly so they'll bail
That he does but he won't because Mattis is our new SoD. Trump is just serving notice to LM that he isn't going to put up with anymore of their bullshit going forward. That's all this is.

>left: 20th century america
>right: 21st century fat america
damn even planes reflect their transition

>scrapping
it isn't

>People laughed when Canada did this

Honestly giving lm some shit and maybe being a launch customer for boeings super hornet might not be the worst idea

completely scrapping the naval f-35 for an upgraded hornet is dumb

The US has already purchased hundreds of F-35s and has absolutely zero intention of canceling further purchases.

Meanwhile in Canada they literally have no airworthy planes..

>a launch customer for boeings super hornet might not be the worst idea
Are you from a universe where the mid-90s US Navy didn't exist?

The Super Hornet went into active Naval service in fucking 1999.

>reminder that Israel and Japan are about to receive it's first units

Can they get refund?

No and all the problems IIRC are only from the VTOL varient.

Anything can be made to be stealthy, but it's a question of at what performance and monetary cost.
Boeing tried to make the F-15 stealthy, and it ended up costing as much as an F-35, while being less capable. And less stealthy.
The Super Hornet has some stealthy features already baked in, but it would require a massive time investment in trying to square the F-18 circle. It's not a smart use of money. To say nothing of the other elements we'd have to invest in the F-18, like sensor fusion, DAS, etc. Much easier to start bottom-up, like the F-35, rather than retrofit on an old design like the Hornet.

It's possible to do so. But it's also stupid.

Britain, Norway, Netherlands, Denmark, Turkey, and Australia all are entitled to get their test aircraft before Israel and Japan.

As I understand it only Britain (who has had test aircraft forever) Netherlands (who just got two) have taken advantage of that.

My info could be out of date but a lot of countries were putting off the purchase of their test units due to upcoming elections or just general poverty. Norway may have bought some desu. I need to look that up.

But Israel just received their first unit, no?

You're mistaken. Also it's called STOVL, not VTOL. And that version went into service in July, the only one to do so.

There are no futher problems with the program. It's been doing great for like 2+ years now.

Yes
youtube.com/watch?v=z6of2GuhSQg

Yes they did but that wasn't my point.

My point was all those aforementioned countries had the right to purchase deliveries of test aircraft before Israel did, and many due to budgetary or political reasons chose to delay it.

Curious how it seems that everyone will have the F-35 on the same paint.

It's a fuckhuge expensive project so it's natural some of the "not-so-active" countries be a bit nervous about it.

Also I don't understand why people act like Israel buying the F-35 is evidence of it being shit. When have you ever seen a Jew spend their money on shit?

It's like people are trying to associate the fighter with Jews where since we know Jews are bad we should think the F-35 os bad, which is ridiculous.

The kikes fly the F-15, F-15E, and the F-16 which are three of the most successful fighters of all time. In the case of the F-15 it literally is the most successful fighter of all time. To suggest the merchants don't know quality when they see it is fallacy.

did boeings silent hornet go into production when I wasnt looking?

>Curious how it seems that everyone will have the F-35 on the same paint.
The issue is if the paint you stick on is LO.
Eventually, we'll have pigments we can apply which will also be LO. But for now, it's the two-tone gunmetal and light grey.

They aren't nervous about it though. Have you seen the glowing reports from the Norwegian and Dutch pilots and MoDs?

The delay is all political. It's easier to table a purchase for six months lest you be subject to a Canada tier clickbait campaign to fuck up your reelection.

Israel is different. Spending money on the military there is an act of necessity, not a political liability.

No it did not.

What does that have to do with the Super Hornet? You wrote Super Hornet so I'm confused.

Also you're thinking of the Silent Eagle. Which was also not produced and also not a Hornet, Super or otherwise.

>muh jews

Sup Forums shit. But we can't deny that lobbysts had a hell of a party with the F-35.

They always been updating their fighter jets with their own tech, like everyone else does so it's natural to keep such planes for a long time.

Ex: Embraer playing with our jets for years.

I know that. Also read a few months ago that the F-22 "paint" were literally being "scrached out" during flights over the middle east.

Won't that be a problem with the IAF's F-35?

I meant nervous like: "We're a small euro nation with some of the world's main powers having our back, do we really need such planes right now?"

Countries like Israel, US and Japan are totally understandable to be a necessity.

>But we can't deny that lobbysts had a hell of a party with the F-35.
How is that different from any other government contract, ever?
>read a few months ago that the F-22 "paint" were literally being "scrached out" during flights over the middle east.
>Won't that be a problem with the IAF's F-35?
Jumping in because the other user has no idea wtf he's talking about:

The F-22 and F-35 use entirely different RAM, in fact they aren't related to each other in any way. Ther is no "paint" with the F-35.

lockheed is prime example of the money pit that is usa military

and ameritards dont dare question these flagship projects that cost trilllions and become obsolete in 10 years and many times remain as prototypes

1 trillion would have given them a few high speed rail lines by now. sad!

It's a necessity for those countries too, just not a pressing one. That's the point. Why spend tnat much money before an election when you can wait a few months after you win?

i thought the deal with israel is that they get billions so they buy any shit usa produces?

>these flagship projects that cost trilllions and become obsolete in 10 years and many times remain as prototypes
Exactly.

Just like the Abrams tank, F-15, F-22 and everything else the US has used to murder scores of enemy brown folk for the last half a century.

Yes.

Which is why they have their own tanks, rifles, and have designed and purchased multiple indigenous fighter jets.

True, in this market lobby is the norm.

I say because i read on a blog here a while ago saying that the F-22 low signature "paint" were basically going off as it flies over those desertic areas. Idk if it only happens there or if it hapens everywhere else.

Yeah, Russia and all that.

It's just a autism of mine.

At least it creates loads of actually good paying jobs for engineers and shit while keeping us on the cutting edge.

The F-22 uses psuedo temporary RAM, which all pre F-35 stealth planes, including the F-117 and B-2, do. The difference is the F-22's RAM lasts far longer than the F-117 and the B-2's do, and no one with a brain ever accused those aircraft of being shit, did they?

So yeah, all those aircraft have temporary RAM and if you don't have the money to "re-paint" them they will lose it. Luckily the US has money to do that.

The F-35 DOES NOT have temporary RAM, it's baked into the skin of the aircraft and lasts a very long time. The panels do need to be touched up every few years or so but you're talking the difference between years and months. The tech is an entire generational leap forward and is not comparable.

>left two nukes on gookland
>right four nukes on gookland

Why the fuck would anyone care about the stealth meme when the airplanes stealth capabilities will be fucked up anyhow by salt water while on carriers? Also Serbians shot down a b2 with ancient soviet weapon

I see.

So it's not possible to make it permanent? Like the material of the body itself be made of RAM?

can you communciate without sounding like a passive agressive plebit fagot? lol

Is it possible to make all the parts of a jet engine, and auto-canon, and the airframe itself permanent?

Don't be ridiculous. If you want something nice you have to maintain it. That's understood.

No, it's not a mythical magic plane that will fly for a thousand years solely on the power of happy thoughts and fairy dust.

Maybe to someone else Panamad, but you're a literal nigger faggot.

You're welcome for your country having electricty btw.

No, the body.

I told you, the body panels need to be replaced every few years.

So do body panels on a normal jet. This is not any different from how things have worked for decades. Things that frequently move past the speed of sound don"t generally have a long shelf life.

>Also Serbians shot down a b2 with ancient soviet weapon
>b2
F-117 fucktard

> You're welcome for

lol even for insulting youre a passive agressive fagot. amerifats tend to not be direct, trusty people

I'm directly telling you that I personally dislike you and wish we had genocided your shitty banana republic and annexed the clay officially.

AHAHAHAHHA
AMERICANS ABANDON THEIR 5TH GEN JET
CHINA STARTS SELLING CHEAP COPIES OF IT

OUT PR-RICE-D BBY

F-35s were a money hole. Even our Conservative party was trying to figure out how to cut themselves loose from it before our last election.

If Lockheed Martin is over-time and over-budget why aren't they be penalized?

even for imperial ambitions youre passive agressive fagots, only fagy coups and blockades... you had your chance

maybe thats why these jets are a failure, so much money making passive agressive weapons

Some are more of mixes
Ztz-99 borrows more on leo 2 design
J-20 mates canards and other stuff with the f-22
Soraing eagle uav has a different wing design to global hawk

But yeah,alot of the current tech is copied/based visually on other stuff,with more modern equipment etc

>spend money

lol. They get them for free.

They have to pay the cost overruns themselves

They should develop more the f-22 instead.

This is the US military department
I think they have a blank check

i voted shillary but i must say this is a based move by cheeto man

I said this several times here.

J20 is a breed of a F-35 with a SU-30.

More like cheezels

My bad
Mystery UAV is called lijian btw

It's common to copy each other, everybody does that.

The problem is, chinks copy literally everything and it's usually shittier than the original.

CH-4 and CH-3 uavs are selling well in developing nations and have been successfully used in combat

>developing nations

2 of 4 are going throgh a civil war atm.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CASC_Rainbow

>canadian pilots

fighter jets is becoming a meme anyway

Ok maybe nations with internal issues

I know Pakistan buy a lot of their shit tho.

It's China's only ally.

>stealth

>AIR_F-35A_and_F-18C_lg.jpg
I only see an F-18C in OP's image.

the jobs are not worth that much money
>china specializes in copying everything western
>but takes an average of 10 years to do it
i think freedom is safe boys

Trump is just a dumb fuck trying to ncikel and dime some high visibility programs through bullying.

Here's the thing any F-18 that can do all the same stuff as the F-35 isn't just costly from scratch new program but a new support/maintenance chain that will be costly to set up/run, there's a fucking reason the American air force was going for a single program for all it's needs (aside from the f-22) Boeing would actual actually have to spend a couple of hundred millions to provide an actual estimate that's better than Trump's own guesses at how much the wall would cost, they're spending a couple of hundred million on just figuring out what to replace air force one with ffs. It would have been a different thing of you actually had some basic configuration of the f-18 on which to actually estimate whether it would be cost effective to operate some in something like low threat scenarios. Making this public is not really helping at this point.

Which begs the question, with all the sensible areas in which Trump has pledged big game changers why the fuck is he wasting his time on fucking aircraft? He can't fully scrap the f-35s and this just ensures aditional costs and delays AT NO POLITICAL GAIN other than distracting the public. Right now he's just hitting American aerospace (Boeing has it's own problems with trying to ensure the Iran deal goes through) how the fuck is it helping to count pennys in such a heavy handed manner?

This isn't fucking choosing tiles and fawcets for an hotel, even if fucking Lockheed was banging cocktail waitresses two at a time micro-managing this shit when he's already got a full late is beyond ridiculous.

How many more corporations is Trump going to single out before the business establishment starts looking at this as extortion?

Lots of study.

Check how they've been studying the shit of tesla vehicles.