I just got into Knedrick. Was TPAB a challenging listen for anyone else...

I just got into Knedrick. Was TPAB a challenging listen for anyone else? I think it's going to take a while for it to grow on me.

It's definitely less poppy and less accessible then GKMC, but give it a few more listens. It's one of the greatest albums in hip-hop history, and without a doubt a 10/10. When it clicks, it really fucking clicks.

This give gkmc a try for sure, tpab is probably kendrick's best album so far, its one of the best hip hop in this generation

I fell in love with GKMC. I really love that album and made the mistake of expecting more of it

About how many listens did it take you?

Took me like 2 listens but it's different for everyone depending on if you were a fan of hip hop/Kendrick beforehand.

It could be great album if beats didn't sound stale with that production and Kendrick's voice wasn't annoying af

For me, it's just not as emotional as GKMC

GKMC was more of a personal story of his time in Compton and the gang violence he encountered there. TPAB primarily concerns minority issues like police violence, racism, colorism within the black community, etc. If anything TPAB is more emotional. Idk how you can listen to a track like The Blacker The Berry and say it's not as emotional.

I'd say both are emotional, but one is personal and one is more of a commentary from Kendrick's perspective.

Personally I think GKMC has more weak songs than TPAB, but has a stronger overarching theme. TPAB tends to be more complex in the individual songs though. Both are pretty great.

TPAB got me through being the best blend of very free sounding jazz and hip hop I've heard in the genre (though admittedly my exposure isn't too broad).

EVERYBODY WANT'TA CUT THE LEGS OFF HIM

This was the first Knedrick album I listened to and I loved it instantly. After binge listening to it for months after it came out and reading all the shitposting on mu and the "muh tpab will age badly" I grew kind of bored with it and gave it a rest. But I listened to it again recently and holy fuck it still sounds fresh as fuck. TPAB aged gracefully so far and I'm sure it will be remembered as one of the high points of hip hop in the future.
I wonder what Knedrick comes up with next though, another album on the level of gkmc and tpab and he'll reach messiah status t b h

Heard him do an unreleased track live on some American late night talk show and it was fresh as all fuck. I have a feeling he's got good things on the way.

are you sure it was not from his untitled unmastered album he dropped this year? He performed a number of unreleased tracks at late night shows last year and then released them with other tracks this year.
Anyways, it would be interesting to see him move into that direction. Imagine him releasing a funk or soul album next year.

Might've been. I only got partway into that release before going back to the actual studio albums. Guess I should check it again.

I just love things that do a really good job of blending genres. Funk or soul being a part of an album the way jazz was a part of TPAB would be fuckin excellent.

It's the album that really got me into hip hop. As
said, once it clicks, you'll love it.

It was at first. There are a lot of skipable tracks and shitty filler, but there is some gold in there. GKMC is definitely better on a whole for a straight listen with no skipping.

Not a singal common or trendy beat on the thing, but that's partially what i love it for.

The instrumental to welselys theory is all chaotic and unsettling and it creates this dark sparatic vibe, it's like the scary scene in a movie kind of, i really like it.

BLACK MAN TAKIN' NO LOSSES

This is why it's ultimately better than GKMC. GKMC was a pop hip hop album that talked about a dark topic. TPAB was a dark, chaotic, yet still jazzy and upbeat album that discussed arguably an even more serious topic and the music fit the concept perfectly. Very good depiction of mental illness in songs like U as well.

does anyone know where i can find an instrumental version of For Free? i need it so bad

it was literally the other way around for me

>tfw this weenie costs money

look at those eyes, I somehow can't believe he doesn't smoke weed. I mean the guy is in a rap group with Ab Soul and ScHoolboy Q