Ok Sup Forumsrothers, I need help

Ok Sup Forumsrothers, I need help.

I have a serious addiction problem, it is ruining me as a person and it is consuming my life. I want to stop, but all of my attempts have been failures. I do not want to live like this, I hate myself for being so weak.

Have any of you overcome any addictions? And if so, how? Any advice would be appreciated.

When we were made we were set apart
>Life is a test and I get bad marks
>Now some saint got the job of writing down my sins
>the storm is coming, the storm is coming in

>be me
>have serious addiction to oxy
>continuously ruin attempts at stopping
>accept i am going to fail more times before i clear up
>write down experiences and feeling in on laptop every time I down pills
>document ends up being 4 pages long
>read through it every time i feel like taking them
>still haven't overcame it but longer time between uses every failure

I've been there i was hard core addicted to oxy man

from personal experience "manning up" only works for so long and turns into a cycle of relapse that'll keep you functional but life will be shit

just go to outpatient rehab. I was drinking daily and at work for a long time and enough shit went wrong with my life to lead to biting the bullet and doing a 6 week program. kinda gay, but it actually "worked" because I wanted to stop.

Op here. I have my own office and hardly ever get bothered, I communicate by phone and email most of the day. So yea I am constantly doing it at work, I fear I may get fired, but I just cant stop.

I didn't write things down, but everytime I think about drinking I think about how it's never done anything good for me. I'm 31 now and growing up. I can't say if I was ever addicted or just developed bad habbits because not drinking is pretty easy. it's once I have more than 6 that it's an issue. 6, 15, what's the difference?
smoking on the other hand... I can say with certainty that I am addicted to cigarettes. cancer runs in my family and I have still been smoking for 14 years. I'm smoking now as I type this. I go 9 hours a day without a cigarette at work and it's no problem... but only because I know I'll have ten when I get out. it's a disgusting habit... and I want to be around to grow old with my wife.... hard /b.

they have rehab programs designed around a full work schedule. keeps you busy on weekends and a few nights a week so you break your usual cycle

I was in the bad habit of getting a road soda or two on the way home from work everyday. I wanted to stop but the habit was so set. when my registration xpired on my car I didn't renew it righ away. I also took out one headlight and one breaklight. I put myself in a position where continuing to follow the bad habit would be a really really stupid idea. took about a week for the urge to subside, at which point I registered the car and fixed the headlight. left the brake light out just in case I have a bad day and try to use that to justify myself.

Change up alcohol for something less addictive, like weed. Or you can get professional help, which I'd recommend in ANY situation. A friend who started as an alcoholic, turned junkie, rebounded to benzos, died last week from heart failure. Either it was because of his prolonged use, or an OD on Oxy and benzo. Dude was 22. Turn your life around man, it's worth it.

Also. to quit smoking I would fill up the car on Sunday and then leave my wallet at home each day so I didn't freak and stop and get cigarettes. I just knew I had to drive home to get ny wallet and then I could go buy them...which reminded me of what a fiend I sounded like, so I would hop on the treadmill and run until my lungs burned.

How old? What is the substance? How long taking the substance?

This is how you do this shit.
Alcohol will have worse withdrawals and physical issues from stopping. Nicotine is very addictive, but the withdrawals are usually manageable. A hardcore alcoholic won't be functioning, AT ALL, once you come off it though.

From my experience, you need to put yourself in a position where fulfilling your addiction is more detrimental (in the immediate) than what you're willing to sacrifice. long term consequences are hard to see, but the longer you are sober and recovering from your addiction, the easier those things will come into perspective.

I am 31, I have been addicted since I was like 20 or 21

antabuse if your serious...
otherwise nothing

If you are trying to get sober you have to want it. There is a difference between wanting the benefits of being sober and wanting all the aspects of being sober, both good and bad.

I would drink regularly but not heavily. 4-6 beers a day between. 4 and 9 pm. I know it's different for heavy drinkers at a litre of vodka a day. I had to break my cycle, the only withdrawl symptom I had from quitting drinking was that it was much more difficult to wake up in the morning for months. anyone know why that is?

>implying antabus is the only way to get off
Sure, I agree that it's a good idea considering the time this has been going on for. But it's complete bullshit that this is the ONLY way he'd do it.

I am going in today to a several month long program to help me quit drinking. Google the nearest detox and 30 day program near you. Call and get yourself in.

a liter of vodka a day has been me for 3,5 years now. i dont even know how the fuck im still alive.

Sorry for my ignorance, what is antabuse?

a drug that makes you feel like shit if you drink alcohol

Hope it works for you. Personally I am sceptical and if I am honest scared of doing a program

For how long? Is this OP?
4-6 beers a day is still pretty bad. An average beer of 5.2%, 50 cl is still equivalent to 6.5 cl of 40% vodka. That's a plus sized shot. 4-6 shots a day is definitely problematic both from a health point of view, and an addiction point of view.
What's most important though, is that you drink without a reason, that's the real nail in the coffin.

No, that was not me, I am op. I have had an addiction for close to 10 years now

Is it expensive?

Not O.P. I did this for four years, probably. just as a destressor at the end of the day. home from work, mow the lawn, stack some wood, do the dishes, cook dinner. Took a little while to get out of the habit, but never had any withdrawls other than waking up really hard for a few months. but I guess alcohol prevents you from getting a deep sleep, so for the previous few years I'd probably never let my body rest like it needed?

isn't it better to ride the spiral than just staying still and stagnant?

I mean it's going to get to the point where you'll hit the peak of the spiral and then you'll have a choice whether you wanna stay sub-conscious to it or be aware of it and grow. In my experience the difference between addiction and truth is that with one you're suffering and the other you're just riding the storm til you move on.

I've been binge drinking since I was a teenager. I turned 29 three days ago. I don't drink everyday, but when I do drink it's to really unsafe levels. Gets to be that I don't remember parts of the night (like getting home). Affecting my work ironically I work at a bar. People know me now as the 'heavy drinker'...it's fucked I really need to make some changes. I'm battling through a massive hangover right this moment...plan on seeing a doctor in the next few days.

something like 0,75euro per pill, dont know about american prices, tho im sure they are higher.
do not start antabuse yourself if you are a long time (1year+) alcoholic. withdrawal WILL kill you.

~12 beers per night here during the working week, drink to blackout and beyond when out on the town. Semi functioning alki here and i'm getting fat, depressed and stupid again after a solid 5-6 months off the sauce last year. Don't even really enjoy it, it's just a compulsion..

My father started having health issues with his heart after drinking 6-8 beers a night for 20+ years. made me decide to quit before I got to that point . I got checked out and had blood work done because my digestion started going crazy. all of my labs came back good and the doctor said, "you have a beautiful liver".

apparently anxiety can wreak havoc on your gut. I would highly reccomend getting checked out by a doctor OP. also, start taking a b multiplex and milk thistle to help mitigate alcohol damage.

How long have you been doing this?

i used to do this, but for much shorter time.
that's not healthy. stop.

I'm gonna try my best to stop from tomorrow.

In my teens i smoked a lot of weed, everyday. It was around 20-21 i started drinking beer as an alternative. Guess its been this heavy for 5 years or so, but was drinking too much well before that. Amazingly my last bloodwork was pretty good and i have managed to hold down jobs, relationships etc. Cracks are showing though. I become an asshole when I drink, proper dr jeckyl type action

I'm addicted to oxygen. Can't live without it.

Posting from my personal experience:
>find a therapist you can like, may take a few tries a lot of them are garbage
>go to an NA meeting when you are feeling absolutely insane and need to talk to someone. Not saying subscribe to the program or go regularly (unless it's helping) but they can be a good spot to just get shit off your chest and relate to people while going through withdrawal
>write shit down and don't beat yourself up about it, you already made the hardest step by reaching out for help.
Love you OP

Start now

Ps,
Reading Eckhart Tolle "the power of now" helped me through a tough time with addiction and depression

Y'all just need Jesus in your life.

How to treat addictions is a pretty well documented issue. What seems to be the confusion?