The old thread got deleted so I'm just gonna make one in memory of Grandpa Joe Thornburg

The old thread got deleted so I'm just gonna make one in memory of Grandpa Joe Thornburg

Grandpa Joe lied about his age and enlisted to fight as a B-17 belly and tail gunner during WWll. He shot down a shit load of enemy planes.

As a gunner he went back and did 2 additional tours after his first, which I guess was unheard of becuase it's one of the most dangerous jobs around.

Crashed landed the bomber and saved the crew's life after it had be shot down during a mission.

His fist were considered a deadly weapon, he was a champion boxer in the Army.

I guess he was considered a great war hero, and even Douglas MacArthur held him in high regard who instructed all officers to not give my grandpa any shit.

After the war he was recruited by the OSS and Stationed in Japan to help fight the Yakuza.

The Yakuza tried to kill him several times, with one of the times he surviving a grenade attack. He had one of very first knee replacements becuase his knee was fucked up from the grenade attack.

Came back to the US and raised family in Alaska. He hunted bear and moose for food.

He took my dad hunting as a boy regularly. My dad would always load his gun for him.

One time they had a bear charge at them while out hunting. Grandpa stood his ground and unloaded the rifle, he had went to load the last round, it wasn't there becuase my dad didn't load the last bullet. The bear dropped dead at grandpa's feet anyways. My dad said he was never allowed to load grandpas gun ever. again.

Later, they moved all over the country for work while my dad was growing up. Was later struck by lightning while working up on the big ass power lines that go from California to Nevada. he also survived that shit.

Died many years later from blood-clots after leaving the hospital against doctors orders.

I love you grandpa Joe, wish I wasn't so young when you died so i could got to know you better.

And spend your days posting on a micronesian basket weaving board.

here what the belly turret looked like

Heres the tail

inside the tail gunner

That's one bad ass motherfucker.

I want to shake his hand.

I guess great grandpa was also a fucking badass.

He was a bonafide rumrunner in the Appalachian during prohibition.

Killed a police officer who was tried to break into his house to rape his wife. Everyone was to afraid to come out and arrest him for the murder.

me too user. Me too.

>The stories and information posted here are artistic works of fiction and falsehood.
Only a fool would take anything posted here as fact.

Seriously though, i can't even what kind of ball ya gotta have to hunt bears on the regular.

shhh you are ruining it

You say that but I bet you still reply to the same threads about some fuck inheriting 100000 bucks from his uncle like a day one newfag.

side story about grandpa joe and his dad. Apparently many many years ago Joe had asked his dad for a loan for 12 grand to buy some swamp land In Los Angeles back when there wasn't shit there. 12 grand was shit load of money back in the day. His dad never lent him the money. That land is now where LAX international airport is today.

My dad was telling me about how working the power lines back then was super dangerous becuase they didn't have the same kind of safety gears and equipment.

He told me that his dad Joe was up there one time working with his buddy one minute and the next his friend had accidentally stepped off the side of the power structure. All he hear was "oh shit!" and his friend was gone.

Grandpa was a fucking crazy racist asshole from a crazy racist family in Missouri. Only memory of him was when i was really young and I squirted him his a garden hose, I remember him me " a fucking nigger"

I guess he called my mom a nigger all the time even though she was colombian.

Anyways thanks anons for letting me tell you guys about my grandpa Joe. I thought his story was really cool and worth sharing.