m.soundcloud.com/fauxoctopus/the-everywhere-place-painting-with-remix
youtube.com/watch?v=XtCB2sZdWaQ
youtube.com/watch?v=sMexarlJu6k
youtube.com/watch?v=4drphPhjt2w&list=PLWnlWlaIUwkpyndKsv-fuBAE72a6z-In_
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>shitty programmed drums
>no textures or interesting soundscapes like what they're known for
>brickwalled as fuck daft punk fart synths and vocals
>the synths sound too mechanical and harsh and don't last long enough or have enough variation to establish a melody
>no actual instrumentation
>the lyrics and vocal delivery are both cheesy and lazy as fuck and don't at all fit with the given background fart noises
>sing SING ing ING like LIKE this THIS
>the songs don't really go anywhere or have ups and downs and just maintain monotony like dance music but why the fuck would you dance to anco
>all of the drivel above is, without exaggeration, enough to give one a headache

it's one the worst things i've listened to from a good band

it's forgettable, but i enjoyed it

And honestly seeing them live helped a lot, it was amazing

I don't think of it that harshly, but i do agree with some of what you said. I think the instrumentation just feels kinda flat, even in the acoustic albums there were a lot of interesting sound textures. The songs don't feel neither too poppy nor too experimental, they're always in between the two without bringing the best of both worlds. Also, the songs are extremely short and like you said, never seem to last long enough and never go anywhere interesting. There's no progression at all. I've been listening to it again after an interview with Panda where he said about how psyched he was with this record, but i can't help but just not see where he's coming from.

Songwriting on it was pretty good IMO and it kept its energy unlike other albums they did.

When it comes to the sounds they used it was pretty neutral, nothing shit but it sounded basic.

Feels like a very vocal album despite their lyrics being hard to follow still.

They tried out a lot of new techniques. It was a really ambitious album but they couldn't execute it well enough.

It's got some great tracks, and I do think it's a step up from CHz in a lot of ways, but not as good as a lot of their earlier work. I like Floridada, Hocus Pocus, Burglars, Golden Gal, and Recycling a lot, and I'm alright with most of the rest. Panda went overboard with his vocal trick, even though it worked on a few of my favorite tracks, and I do agree that it would be better if the drumming wasn't so copy pasted. It does have me optimistic merely for the fact that it seems like Avey is over his phase of super cluttered noise rock like on CHz and Slasher Flicks, and that if he applied the cleaned up production and focussed songwriting to a more interesting project it'll be great.

Would be nice to have some acoustic thing back

Pretty much this. It's an extremely lazy album by a talanted group. I get the feeling they didn't really feel like making a real album so they just had some fun in the studio and made up all these songs really fast.

>he likes Golden Gal
I bet you like Summetime Clothes too you pleb.

not him, but what's exactly wrong with summertime clothes?

We voted it the worst AC song ever on here years ago but now Golden Gal is a contender and might have taken the title.

>not answering the question

It's their worst song, thats what wrong with it.

Top 5 worst AnCo songs

Golden Gal
Summertime Clothes
Lion in a Coma
Burglars
Moonjock

why is it their worst?

It's clicked in that I can accept that just because I don't want something to happen doesn't mean it didn't happen and the universe doesn't have a bias in my favor, even if that means my favorite band putting out a deplorable album and then dissolving. To say that something being bad means it just hasn't 'clicked' yet is denial, because good bands are actually capable of putting out horrible albums. Painting With is one of the most humiliating records I've ever heard from a band I like. The more I listened to it the more depressed it made me feel. Honestly, I just feel sad for them when I listen to it. The worst part is the fact that they act like this is totally fine. But really I doubt they're truly satisfied with the work they did here. This is something they would have scrapped had they been at the height of their power. The fact that it took them almost four years to follow up Centipede Hz and the end product still felt tense and rushed only shows you how far they are from being at the top of their game. There's a 2005 interview where Avey Tare said they probably wouldn't put an album out if they didn't truly care about it. I wonder how he feels about that now.

Because most people think that. That makes it an objective fact. Democracy, you know!

so you don't have your own opinion on this song, and you think it's bad only because someone else thinks it's bad?

Yes.

damn...

damn...

get some help

Back in march.

I thought it was a 5/10 until it finally clicked and realized it was really a 4/10 all along.

Took me a bit, heh.

>tfw you share the board with people like this

Lol same, I actually rated it as high as a 6/10 before it clicked, embarrassingly enough. Mach was around when the reality of the situation really settled in for me as well.

the first 3 or so listens, I only really got into a couple of tracks.. upfront, reading interviews and such about it beforehand I already knew there was no way it was going to be my favorite animal collective album (no reverb, no drawn out passages, 'ramones' like energy) ... that said, after a couple more listens, things really started clicking with me... The vibe would hit right, the drums were pounding good, the bass was sounding great, the vocal delivery was ehh kind of kitschy but fun and feels like it keeps the record moving in a lot of ways. Songs that I initially kind of brushed off became favorites (namely The Burglars) and then after seeing it live, it all really came together.

This is definitely an album meant to be experienced live, the way they have their set up, the way they add some longer drawn out passages to the fun bursty tracks, the way some songs have a proper build up.. brilliant, honestly. Now, I listen to it and it's... still not near my top AC records, but I enjoy it much more than I enjoyed most records I've listened to recently. Not AOTY, but in the top 5 probably.

I really don't get how you can dislike Golden Gal. The first part is ehhh but then once you get FLYTRAP and that fucking grrooooovvyyyy second half, I feel like it's impossible to not lose yourself in that percussion. I honestly get goosebumps whenever I hear it.

Admittedly, though, I'm already a guy that likes dancey pop shit, Animal Collective and of Montreal are my two favorite bands (and WHY?)

yes

this basically

There was a mass delusion on this board when it was released. People trying to fool themselves and others that it was a 8/10.

what did he mean by this?

I dont know, Panda has gone on record in interviews saying its his favorite of their records, or at least one of this favorites.

I do like Summertime Clothes, more so than Golden Gal, and if you think either of those are their worst tracks you're a fucking retard who hasn't even listened to most of their discography. Neither of them are even the worst on their respective albums.

Golden Gal would be a lot better with better lyrics though.

Lol wow.

The album makes me feel so miserable that when I do try to listen to it now just feel like I'm inflicting pain on myself. It's the only Animal Collective album that actually punishes you and abuses you for listening to it. I'd go insane if I had to listen to Natural Selection any longer that its running time. It's definitely more offensive than Centipede Hz, which at least had some sort of integrity, like they WANTED to be good. This album just beats you down for taking time for it. I can't believe he thinks this is their best album. Maybe he's just happy that they've come to a stop and secretly hates his part in Animal Collective.

nah Pw is atleast enjoyable albeit embarrassing, Chz is complete garbage where their daring pop experimentation resulted in one of the most vile music recordings in recent memory. Father Time onwards is literal fucking torture

>The Burglars
>Moonjock
what the fuck are you doing you retard

is this pasta?

No but it clanged when I threw it in the garbage

damn

It's pretty good. They try new things, have a unique sound on it, have high energy, and have a handful of incredibly good songs on the album. Unfortunately, due to overuse of some of the ideas in it, poor production creating a frustrating wall of sound type feel, and the laziest vocals I've ever heard from Avey Tare on some songs. It creates an embarassing and disappointing album that still has value and several 10/10 songs.

Godam I can't finish Burglars without a headache.

The Burglars is the only amazing song on the album tho
>panda's fucking vocal melody at the end

if anything more reason to give the album value: people like and dislike different tracks on the album but can't agree which ones are the good ones

this

it truly is headache music. fuck this album, there is nothing "to grow" here. it's not forward-looking, experimental, or even good catchy pop - anco simply put out a bad album

i clicked it into my recycle bin
:)

IT STILL MOVES

HOLY FUCK THAT IS COOL

SO MOTHERFUCKERS I HAVE A LOT TO SAY ABOUT THIS. I've seen them five times this year and scribbled pw like 900 times because I am a FUCKING FAGGOT. the avey songs are SHIT. he is a full KEK now and can go lick his golden gals ASSHOLE. PANDA on the other hand is the SON OF GOD and his songs are flames. Hocus pocus, hounds, summing, recycling, lying in the grass are tight. You're even gayer than me if you disagree.

Lol wtf is with you guys calling it embarrassing? Love this album, Floridada, Summing the wretch and Recycling are some great moments from this band. I've got to wonder how much you guys take into consideration their earlier work/your predetermined idea of what this band "is" when you listen to it? I feel like if this band has taught its listeners anything it's too approach an album with an open mind, and decide truly for yourself.

Anyone that says they were lazy or didn't care about making this must be fucking kidding kek

Is "clicking" synonymous with denial?

If you're serious I envy you.

damn man, I'm glad all those listens gave you such valuable insights

m.soundcloud.com/fauxoctopus/the-everywhere-place-painting-with-remix

if y'all wanted it to click this the tomboiled/feeling store/thisisthenewcentipede version is up

Lets just say that if they replaced On Delay with Gnip Gnop and Summing The Wretch with Hounds of Bairro then we might have one of their best works since MPP. I still like it though.

I like what and said, if anything, its cool that they came up with a new sound, even if people dont like it too much, it shows they havent lost their creativity, I feel like their next album could be pretty (or really) good, if they either tighten up there songwriting and continue in a similar style as Painting With, or they do a different, more poppy, wall of sound type album, maybe even add in some acoustics as well, and they even said that they'd want to/be willing to do that in the future on a Reddit AMA.

sad that people still don't get it

amazing record

holy fucking shit dude

wtf i love painting with now??

I only really listen to Floridada and Golden Gal.
All in all it's pretty forgettable,

> They'll never make a better album than the first one

I always liked it. It's still near the bottom of their discography imo, but it isn't bad

>muh fart sounds lol
I hate it when people say this

The fat, staccato synths were an idea that maybe didn't pan out that great, but I liked them

I don't quite agree that the synths sound that inorganic and harsh, and it's fine that the synths don't carry the melody, because the vocals do.

>the lyrics and vocal delivery are both cheesy and lazy as fuck
Lyrics, maybe. They were kind of political, not something anco is known for. But by no means was the arrangement of the hocketing lazy, and they weren't bad either. The vocal delivery is one of the albums highpoints, though they may have overused it a bit

And the songs aren't very dynamic because they were trying some kind of punk songwriting idea, but I didn't like that very much either

And texturally, they said they were inspired by cubism or something, so that's why it's kind of sparse like that, and that's neither here nor there, but they still pulled a few interesting textures from that idea, like the end of Recycling, it reminds me of some of the instrumental tracks off of Panda's debut, like the first Untitled track

But they already have multiple times

they did

All up until that pesky p4k review came out. Then everybody actually hated it all along

this post is just ridiculous to read
>waaah I didn't like this record, its all ova for muh favorite band, they've changed, they're humiliated

It's not even a bad record. Panda said that the songwriting sessions for PW were a blast. Stop trying to project these starstruck, idealized characters that you've made up in your head onto the band

There was another thing that Avey said in an interview, and it was that the last thing they want to do is live up to anybody's expectations, and that includes yours

>The time in which they released good music keeps getting further and further into the past.

i fucking love it
cant wait to see them and Actress on wednesday

youtube.com/watch?v=XtCB2sZdWaQ

It's bouncy fun for when you're mood is up or you're high but Its ultimately forgettable and middle of the road

Kind of like the opposite of CHz. While that is far less fun and easy to get into its much more rewarding in a long term listen.

weird, I feel the complete opposite.
I loved CHz from the first listen, was totally sure it was better than MPP for a long time, but the more I heard it I realized I was lost in the hype. I like it, it's alright, but it's probably their worst record in that they didn't really go in with a set goal or sound other than "uh let's make something weirder than merriweather I guess"
the result is an album that isn't weird or out there enough to be interesting, nor is the songwriting consistently solid enough to make it a more traditionally enjoyable album. it's just kinda there. you can really tell they weren't all in the studio making it together.

meanwhile I really couldn't get into PW for a while. there's so much going on at any given time that it's so hard to keep up with initially and feels very annoying. but once you unpack it all and identify the various different elements individually as well as how they play off one another, it becomes clear that this record is the result of total clarity and unity of vision on these guys parts, and it's really admirable. I love it. 8/10, probably my favorite album of this year.

tldr; OP is right, it really does click if you open yourself up to it.

>>sing SING ing ING like LIKE this THIS
I could literally hear it in my head when i read this
It's especially true in Panda Bear's last album
youtube.com/watch?v=sMexarlJu6k

youtube.com/watch?v=4drphPhjt2w&list=PLWnlWlaIUwkpyndKsv-fuBAE72a6z-In_

it clicked in my balls
pretty hard
if you know what I mean

No, because I haven't listened to it and likely never will. The singles were the definition of mediocre, overproduced, uninspired crap.

>he hasn't thrown an AnCo dance party
lmao lmao

It's pretty good but Deak blew them out of the water

Is "Has Painting With clicked yet" going to become an ongoing joke years down the line?

Sleep Cycle was decent but it blew Painting With out of the water.

Was for this

Avey said in an interview that they did it in PW because he really liked how Panda did it in PBVSGR

Sleep Cycle is the second best album of 2016, right behind Blackstar

this is super cool but there should really be a version without the older songs, they have no connection to PW other than that they've been playing these songs on this tour

I think it's the best album of 2016 by far, but it's still decent.

the pet sounds of our generation

Th members of this board really need to stop passing off their opinions as fact. It's pretty fucking irritating.

What do you want us to do, type "In my opinion" before every sentence we say?

More like the Fifteen Big Ones of our generation.