/pavement/

pavement general! let's talk about the greatest indie rock band of all time. favorite album? favorite song?

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=5m8H5E3cvx8
mega.nz/#F!3NFxDZqS!pEN-WNljOtI3NT_GSfRqXg!DR1lXY5L
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Have you guys listened to Malk's solo stuff? I like Pig Lib more than the last two Pavement albums, but any idea where I should go from there?

>favorite album
slanted and enchanted

>favorite song
right now i am going to say box elder but it always changes

this is the best band ever no questions asked

terrible band
such beige, flavorless, complacent music, so smug in its sheltered upper middle-class mediocrity

listen to guided by voices and the fall instead

>such beige, flavorless, complacent music, so smug in its sheltered upper middle-class mediocrity
this is true only from CRCR and on. everything they did thru watery domestic totally justifies this band's reputation as one of the best bands ever

Wowee Zowee >>>>> CR

>favorite album
Wowee Zowee

>favorite song
In The Mouth A Desert

You have not truly listened

No, not true. How is Wowee Zowee that? All their albums are beautiful no matter if they got less experimental.

Favorite album: Slanted and Enchanted or Brighten The Corners, it's really hard to choose, might even be Wowee Zowee.

Favorite song: Sister To A Father Of Thought

I think CRCR has some of their best work, like Cut Your Hair and Gold Soundz, though

guys i like wowee zowee in fact i used to consider it my favorite of theirs but most of it is just them being wacky and intentionally confounding expectations and being stoned af. lots of fun songs but i found that most of them are starting to wear thin after listening to it for 5+ years.

basically, most of wowee zowee sounds like they started with a weird idea that they then turned into a song, whereas S&E just has really good songs, is more concise, and never drags.

also gary young adds a degree of sloppiness to their sound that complements it nicely. they just sounded so different after he got kicked out.

I love Pavement so much. The were my mum's favourite band when I was growing up and I have super happy memories of us in the car listening to Brighten the Corners. My favourite of their songs is Shady Lane, we used to sing it at the top of our voices and it was the first song I ever knew all the words to.

>favorite album
slanted and enchanted

>favorite song
cut your hair

i can get behind this

I can get behind this

Also this

It's so random how Pavement is one of animal collectives favorite bands

Does that really seem random to you?

Have you even listened to pavement?

wowee zowee > slanted > BtC > CRCR > Terror

I've gotten a lot of flack for this ranking on Sup Forums which I find interesting because Pavement is probably my favorite band. What are your rankings?

my ranking is probably Wowee Zowee > BTC = CRCR > S&E > Terror Twilight

>album
Probably S&E because I never get bored of it (can also sing about 80% of the lyrics at this point).
>song
Father to a Sister of Thought

This is a good ranking, the first three are Almost equal to me as I mentioned earlier. Why'd you catch flak? CRCR too low?

What's Pavement's best closing track, you guys?
I think Fillmore Jive, but Infinite Spark and ...Carrot Rope are also great. Carrot rope is so perfectly placed after The Hexx which feels like a proper closer, but then theres this song as the very last Pavement song

i'm partial to our singer. and no, i don't think it's a hip priest rip off

Me neither. Not partisk to it though, although it's a fine track but one of the weaker. Apropos, What's the weakest S&E or Pavement album track? Hit the plane down for me

Crooked Rain Crooked Rain is infinitely better than Slanted and Enchanted, I don't know how anybody could mix this up

from s&e i would say chesley's little wrists. in general, most spiral stairs tracks, with the exception of kennel district

Why?

i think s&e is wayyyyyy better. crooked rain is probably my least favorite pavement album. that isn't really saying much though since they're my favorite band

Well, I think Two States is great although that's the real Fall ripoff, with a british accent even. Passat Dream is a lovely track too. On the other ones, I agree

I just want to also add that the b sides to BtC are GOAT

Terror Twillight is underrated, it's a classic.

What was that again??

avey's first band was a pavement ripoff but geo and avey starting adding walls of noise and screaming and junk like that until you ended up with their early sound

yeah i love it, so many great tracks. you are a light is one of my all time favorites

CRCR is a perfect pop album. fuck off

it really isnt. Pavement is an eclectic pop band. listen to wowee zowee and then listen to SJ

>I'm an island of such complete mediocrity

>one more verse

don't get me wrong, i think they're all enjoyable. they just seem weaker than malkmus's tracks

Harness Your Hopes is in their top 10 for sure

I love the Pacific Trim 7"

it's not that bad but it is very overrated. to this day i dont get why everyone is so crazy about gold soundz.

>favorite album
Slanted tied with Crooked. I can't really choose wich one I enjoy more.

>favorite song?
Summer Babe, Gold Soundz, Grounded, Old to Begin, Spit On A Stranger, Major Leagues. Sorry but I can't choose only one.

They are one of my favorite bands and truly the best band of 90s.

Also, why is Malkmus such a qt?

Kill yourself.

SaE = CR,CR > WZ > BtC > TT

CRET CRET CRET CRET CRET

Really great song picks, friend. I love the comforting sounds of the last two, and also the hums in Summer Babe.

This is hard. The first three can really be put in any order. It's hard for me to rank those:

CRCR > S&E> WZ > TT > BTC

Their first three are all unique classics to me. I put Crooked Rain on top because it feels like the most like a cohesive album to me and also has a few unbeatable songs. S&E has the noisy charm. I love how varied, unconventional, fun, and long Wowee Zowee is. Terror Twilight is underrated as fuck. And hell... we all love Brighten the Corners. Starlings of the Slipstream into Fin is gorgeous.

>favorite album?
Not an album but an EP; Watery Domestic is one of my favorite recordings of any kind ever. For an album though probably S&E, but really their first three albums are 10/10 for me.

>favorite song?
Kennel District. Runner ups are Zurich is Stained, Texas Never Whispers, and I Love Perth in that order.

his solo stuff is amazing. its shame most of the attention those albums get are coming from just the passionate pavement fans

If I had to put SM's solo stuff into my top three Pavement favorite album rankings it'd go:
1) S&E
2) Mirror Traffic (seriously SUCH A GREAT ALBUM)
3) Wowee Zowee

Shady lane is a nice one; A short story about a guy who didn't pay for his dates dinner.

I'm going to listen to Mirror Traffic now. Thank you.

Really all of his solo stuff is great. Admittedly I haven't listed to Wig Out yet though. If I had to rank his solo stuff in order of favorites it'd be Mirror Traffic, Face the Truth, his 2001 s/t, Pig Lib, Real Emotional Trash.

yeah I have been meaning to do that for a while. I listened to Real Emotional Trash recently and did like it so I want to dig in some more. I listened to a few tracks off of Wig Out when it came out and it seemed a little flat to me, which I think turned me off slightly.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=5m8H5E3cvx8

I bought this record the day it came out (first time for me with any of Malkmus' stuff) and even still this specific track gets me pumped, especially 2:05 to 3:01

I can't find Wowee ANYWHERE

Guess I have to give 15 bux to steve milkman :^/

THERE'S
NOT
MUCH
LEFT
IN
SIDE
MY
TANKTODAY

there's a working link in literally in the first post if you search "wowee zowee mega" in the archive

someone in the thread that's from say it's fake but here's a real one
mega.nz/#F!3NFxDZqS!pEN-WNljOtI3NT_GSfRqXg!DR1lXY5L

How does it compare to the Pavement stuff?

wz > crcr > tt > s&e > btc

and this is coming from someone who has dedicated their whole life to collecting pavement bootlegs

Which album's b sides do you like the most?

The bass for covers a song by them. It's that one that goes "like an oil well" or what Eva

>the greatest indie rock band of all time
(not true btw)

Who, then?

In The Mouth Of A Desert. What is that band?

has anyone ever actually listened to terror twilight?

yeah. it's pretty great

> /pavement apes/
Ftfw

yo can you share some of those bootlegs?

better than any pavement album

>greatest indie rock band of all time

Wow, what an accomplishment.