When did you realise she's not that good?

when did you realise she's not that good?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=uWFTyamEZrU
reddit.com/r/Grimes/comments/5b0wpg/favorite_and_least_favorite_songs_from_each_album/
last.fm/user/chairmandore/library
youtube.com/watch?v=ahnUH7wnW30
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grimes_(musician)#Musical_style
pandora.com/station/2895208146671614201
ableton.com/en/blog/grimes-bird-calls-and-dentists-drills/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

first listen

Probably the third time playing oblivion or any given track.

1st play - Meh
2nd play - hey that's pretty good
3rd play - wait no it's not.

when I realized that both Scaruffi and p4k like her

mu stopped loving her so I stopped to

she got popular

after giving this a listen
youtube.com/watch?v=uWFTyamEZrU

pleb disgusting

But another half of Sup Forums still loves her user.

First post best post

When it became fashionable to do so.

After failing to find a song like Realiti in her Discography.

Never. And I hope it will stay the same. She's really great. I'm a fan since 2012, btw.

>hipster plebs

Never, because she's genuinely good (most of the time).

I bought the first album and gave up on it after one listen, especially after noting the similarity between one of the singles off the first album and that old eighties song by Tiffany, I Think We're Alone Now... She's crap. Her music has less substance than I expect from an artist on the 4AD label. Taste is a very personal thing but I just find her music to be hyped up and bland

After I found out she could speak english as a first language but sung as an incoherent chipmonk anyway.

Somewhere between Genesis and Oblivion. But then I found out Oblivion was about being scared of the dark and dropped 'em both for being too girly.

when i listened to Björk

Really going after that permavirgin LotR crowd with that shit. Too bad she is lesbian and that ruins it.

Hi claire!

>I just find her music to be hyped up and bland
So did I - right up to the day I decided to actually listen to it just for kicks... I've been locked in an existential music crisis ever since.

>After I found out she could speak english as a first language
See, learning that actually made the whole thing cooler to me because it means that there is artistic intent behind what she's doing. Most people don't have that.

mumble-core is not artistic, it's vague drug fuelled ramblings so they can release any kind of official (read: politically motivated) lyrics at a later time. Quite a trashy move, funny to see some people fall for it.

Good b8. I actually discovered Bjork years before Grimes. Let me tell you something: Bjork is highly inconsistent. Her best work consist mostly of her singles. Grimes is much more consistent, from the singles to the most obscure tracks.

>Unironically using a made-up term like "mumble-core"
Lol

well yeah obviously i heard Björk first and when i came back to her i loved her even more. Thats such bs you know. Vulnicura was very well received.

This is basically yet another bait thread. Seriously, Sup Forums is arguing every fucking day about her if she's good or not. Music taste is subjective. Why do you argue about something that can't even be objectively measured?

Bjork is very consistent I think, apart from Volta, even then there's some good tracks on it.

I like Grimes, I just can't get into her first two albums no matter how much I listen to them.

>Bjork is very consistent I think, apart from Volta, even then there's some good tracks on it.
She's not. The singles are so obviously much better then the album tracks. You can't say with a straight face that Hyperballad and Headphones or Joga and Immature are about the same, quality-wise.

Grimes is much more consistent, and this is a proof: reddit.com/r/Grimes/comments/5b0wpg/favorite_and_least_favorite_songs_from_each_album/ The lists are diverse, there aren't the same obvious songs everywhere.

That's what this forum is, ya dingus.

>music taste is subjective
maybe if you have no understanding of music and its fundamental nature. People like you are what made Sup Forums a shit board.

Yeah the singles are better most of the time but most of her album tracks are still really good.

That doesn't really prove anything, Grimes' reddit is obviously going to have people recommend her lesser known/ a diverse mix of songs, same with Bjork.

It's all personal opinion on who's more consistent anyway, there's no definitive answer.

I hope whoever is fuckin her on the reg is taking the chance to fill her head with cute little lies. Don't be a mule, my man.

Objectively speaking "music" doesn't even exist. "Music" is just a term for how humans subjectively interpret sound.

So hello there lads, i have a question.. Who is she ? haha i saw this thread and it called mi atention.
So yeah, who is she ? what genre does she compose or what ?

Gtfo, objectivist idiot.

>Grimes' reddit is obviously going to have people recommend her lesser known/ a diverse mix of songs, same with Bjork.
People picked less known songs as favorites. If her music wouldn't be consistent, these songs wouldn't even be mentioned.

The main things you should know about Grimes:

>Full name: Claire Elise Boucher
>Born: 17 March 1988 in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
>Origin: Québécois, Ukrainian, Russian and Italian descent

>Instruments:
- vocals
- synthesizer
- sampler
- guitar
- bass
- drums
- violin
- ukulele

>Skills:
- singer
- songwriter
- producer
- sound engineer
- lyricist
- live performer
- visual artist
- music video director & editor
- dancer
- model

>Main interests:
Music, visual arts, dancing, books, films, modeling, video games, internet, and others

>Music taste:
last.fm/user/chairmandore/library
youtube.com/watch?v=ahnUH7wnW30
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grimes_(musician)#Musical_style
pandora.com/station/2895208146671614201

>Others:
- Grimes does everything in her music, from singing and songwriting to artwork and production
- nice personality, beautiful look, cares about environment issues and saving animals
- took her name from grime music after discovering the existence of the genre on Myspace
- studied ballet for 11 years
- was a goth outcast in high school
- studed neuroscience, philosophy, and Russian literature and McGill University before being dropped out for missing classes
- had some troubles in the past: drugs, 2 friends died because of overdosing drugs, sexual assault, shitty jobs, the professor who got her into a music program killed himself
- started making music when she was around the age of 22 or 23
- big Lord of the Rings, Dune, Game of Thrones, Star Wars, Abbess Hildegard von Bingen and Russian literature fan
- her best friends are James Brooks, Hana, Bloodpop, Duffy, Born Gold

After Art Angels. Made me reassess Visions with a critical ear, turns out it only has like 3 good tracks.

Okay? Same goes for Bjork.

Out of curiosity, what kind of an "ear" where you listening to her music with before?

You should add "dentist drill" to her list of instruments.
>For the song “Venus Fly", for example, I had these awesome 808s, that I built using two different 808 sounds. Then I sampled a dentist drill and tuned it to the 808s and layered it very lightly on top so that they sounded a bit more savage but also wide and clean cuz I think I panned the drill hard and the 808s were mono in the center.
ableton.com/en/blog/grimes-bird-calls-and-dentists-drills/

>being a relativist is now in

>hipster detected
So, you were disgusted by how pop was Art Angels and realized that Visions is also pop? Good thing she doesn't rely on shallow people like you to have a career.

She's clever and inspired.

A non-critical ear. Hard to un-notice that Visions is just synth arpeggios once you realize it.
Yeah she relies on people with bad taste now

>why are you arguing about music on a music forum

jeez, stop this stupid copypasta. just say "it's grimes, she makes pop music"

>A non-critical ear.
Which brings me to my next question. Why are you going around listening to music with a non-critical ear in the first place?

I still enjoy visions her last album was so wack though. It overindulges in what used to be tastfully mixed in.

Yes. It seems like a waste of time. Nobody will change his mind. This board should be focused on sharethreads and recs, not stupid and endless debates with no clear results.

>just say "it's grimes, she makes pop music"
This is incredibly simplistic and it doesn't do her any justice. Madonna, Beyonce, CRJ, Rihanna also do pop music, but they're not as talented, interesting and skilled as Grimes. They just have big marketing budgets. The major difference is that Grimes is a legit singer-songwriter-producer that instead say folk or indie rock, it happened to make synthpop.

>This board should be focused on sharethreads and recs,
/mu is primarily a discussion forum. Deal with it, or gtfo.

>discussion
What are these discussions good for? What is the gain?

The same thing that music and all other forms of art/entertainment are good for - a cure for boredom.

OK, so they're mostly useless. Just like the political debates. It will change shit.

Precisely - welcome to REALiTi.

Cruel reality.

but everyone that loved her had to go back to school and not allowed to use the internet in the evenings

>implying that everyone that loved her is in school