Why do people act so shocked when they lose? They are not and have never been giants in the world of football

Why do people act so shocked when they lose? They are not and have never been giants in the world of football.

I feel a bit sad for their fans desu
Yeah, it's funny but sad at the same time

Expectations are Germany/Spain tier when they should be Wales/Poland tier

Because the Premier League is one of the best if not THE best league of football of the world.

You would think that some of that quality would be reflected in english players.

That and the media consistently treat them as a favorite despite recent history showing it isn't deserved.

As a casual tournament only watcher, I fully expect them to lose every time. Iceland are far more interesting.

>recent history

Any history

Should reinvent themselves as a Republic of Ireland/Northern Ireland "here for the bants" team

I've not expected anything from them since the 2008 qualifying campaign. Great league, sure, but second-rate national team. Sooner people accept this, the better.

>feeling bad for a nation of hooligan drunkards

The English media build them up every single time to win. In the medias eyes they're the best in the world on par with Brazil or Argentina but they're simply not these days.

They struggle against teams you'd think they should have an easy time against and sneak past with late goals.

"The media" is a pretty big stretch. I think most media outlets have a more realistic, if not negative outlook on England's prospects in any given tournament. It's the tabloids that always shit out the ultra 'hurrr we da bast gonna win erry game 20-0' articles/headlines.

Same shit as here in Germany. The fans are all cautiously optimistic, complain about how shit we're playing until we win, then it's full on dick swingin banter until a few hours before the next match, rinse and repeat.

I mean, there was a time where they could go at least semi-consistently reach the quarter finals.

I dunno. The ITV commentator here was saying to Evra, "hey, maybe England in the quarter finals?"

Evra said, "You have to play Iceland tomorrow!"

The delusion in the media makes it hard to get behind the team.

Reminder:

Iceland 2 x 0 Netherlands
Netherlands 0 x 1 Iceland

based evra

Iceland has a population of 300,000 mate. Now think a little bit more

I didn't particularly mean the English media, in fact I meant specifically not them.
In French-speaking media they're always grouped with the "big nations" of football when making prognostics, and while yeah, they're rarely ever picked favorite (thank God people aren't that dumb), they always end up being some of the most talked about.
I guess there's some star factor with lots of players being very recognizable due to the popularity of the PL.

Was a great response. Glad he said it.

Yeah, that's a pretty dumb question, but I think maybe misinterpreted a little. Was probably trying to play up the England/France thing.

No game is ezpz either. Iceland's pretty beast this tournament. Germany had a pretty fucking rough time with Algeria in the last world cup, probably the toughest game they had.

I came here to make fun of England but then I remembered...

That's probably true. To me England always feels like an underdog team, but it IS one of the big oldschool footy nations.

>American callin it football

this is such a cute thread

Since 1970:
1 Euro semi-final appearance
1 World Cup semi-final appearance

Even the likes of Belgium, Portugal, Czech, Denmark, Greece have a better recent record.

They've also been playing exceptionally well in this tournament and the past couple years

Perhaps YOU should think more

they're grouped among the bigs only thanks to their victory in 1966

>they're grouped among the bigs only thanks to their victory in 1966
Uruguay have 2 world cups but no-one pretends that that makes them a decent team nowadays

that's because uruguay won their cups back in 30 and 50

also England managed to be a little more consistent than Uruguay in the last 40 years

Uruguay lost to fuckin australia in 2006

England are seconds away from losing to Iceland in 2016

>Why do people act so shocked when they lose?
Expectations.

Because they literally showed nothing against a country of 350,000
A fucking worthless MONG like Kane is worth more than entire Icelandic team according to "experts"
This is true football winning against disgusting marketing

This
Iceland-England is just a match of small teams

>Great league, sure, but second-rate national team.
That's because most of the league isn't even british.

They created the sport m8

1966 is 50 years ago and 1950 66 years. Seems a bit arbitrary.
Uruguay holds the record for Copa America won with 15, and last made semi in the WC in 2010.
England made a Euro finale and last made a WC semi in 1970 (same year as Uruguay before 2010 btw).

>also England managed to be a little more consistent than Uruguay in the last 40 years
4th at WC 2010
S American champions 1983, 1987, 1995, 2011

England made a Euro finale and last made a WC semi in 1970 (same year as Uruguay before 2010 btw).
italia 90