I want to get started on a martial art. There's a BJJ and a boxing gym in my area...

I want to get started on a martial art. There's a BJJ and a boxing gym in my area, which of those would be best for an absolute beginner who is out of shape?
I'm not making a my martial art vs your martial art thread, I know both have their own merits but I was told boxing is a bit tricky to practice if you aren't somewhat fit whereas in BJJ even people who are a bit out of shape can learn the beginner techniques.

And a related question: what's the atmosphere like in these gyms? Is everyone supportive or will I be jumping into an ocean of Chads?

Boxing gym will most likely whip you into shape

Yes BJJ , unbelievable sport will change your life

change in what ways?

Every aspect ,become fitter more confident be able to defend yourself you will make great friends there is loads

Nigga bjj is chill af,learn to kickbox even a little and all of a sudden your better than like 75 percent of the population at fighting,most people are cool dudes, couple assholes but mostly cool ppl,dont get discouraged when u get submitted it happens slot,youll get there,best of luck my nignog

Have you been training for long? You compete?

5 years and I have in the past but no so much latley

>couple assholes but mostly cool ppl,
are the assholes more common in specific gyms or are they everywhere?

>what's the atmosphere like in these gyms?

that varies from school to school so the only way to find out is to take a trail class and see which one you like more, on a more important note, see which teacher you like and connect with and which style you have the most fun doing, that being said.

boxing will probably be easier for you to learn since most people already know how to punch, you'll be refining your technique and learning footwork and how to apply this knowledge in a fight and under pressure,

BJJ will be harder for you to pick up because some of the techniques and positions aren't natural at first but you'll get used to them quickly.

overall if you want to get in shape boxing will be the better bet.

BJJ is awesome, but some of the rules in tournaments are asinine.
IBJJF events are made for children these days. This is me getting DQ'd for "slamming" my opponent. If you plan on competing, just take part in smaller tournaments or no gi.

Assholes are everywhere man,just find a gym you like,the people are who matter,but most guys are real cool and willing to teach you, they know your a beginner they're not gonna beat you up because of how their other teammates would judge them ,don't be nervous man just go for it,if you don't like it you don't like it were all different,ive been training for 5 years and made some of my best friends.

My bet would be the to pick the one that feels most fun. The best form of work out is the one you actualy do.
In my hometown there were some assholes in the boxing-club, but I don't think you can generalize. If I HAD to vager, I would think that the Chads would pick boxing tho.
BJJ is wrestling in a gi. Alot of grills do bjj also.

Some other user said that wrestling will be werid at first. He is kiiinda right. Noobs are often lost on the mat right at the start, but give it 2-3 months and you will have gotten the hang of it real good. You cant expect to be a pro at ANYTHING right of the bat. Yeah, you might know how to throw a punch, but boxing is a whole nother thing than brawling.

also, boxing = getting punched in the face.
BJJ has some elements of pain in it, but boxing would probably feel scarier if you are a bit of a coward.

tl;dr - pick the one that seems most fun. Might wanna try both. Many gyms allow a free practicesession or two at the start of the terms.

You monster!

Well I go to Krav Maga and everyone is supportive. Never really come across someone trying to be a hard man.

boxing if you're a man, bjj if you're a pussy that would rather wrestle a motherfucka like a fag instead of just knocking him out with a clean punch

Oh yeah, one more thing. Wich ever sport you pick, leave the ego at the door.
Practice is PRACTICE! You are not there to "win" at sparring. You are there to learn. Are you a grown man weighing in at 200pounds and facing a kid at 17y old, or a grill? Don't use all that weight and force.

Over all, facing smaller and physicaly weaker opponents are GREAT. I love those opponents, because they cant muscle their way against you, so you can focus 100% on technique.

You need to get the right mindset.

Drilling punches in boxing, or sweeps in BJJ? Do them well. but still kinda quick and efficent so you can use the time welll. If you can do 20 sweeps while the guy next to you is wasting his time and only doing 10 because he is a lazy slob? Then you get twice as good that session.
And while sparring get a feel of the opponent and what your trainer wants. Some sessions are "go 100% and WINWINWIN!", others are more like "just chillax. Roll softly. The first person to breathe heavily has lost because he/she used to much force"

If you want to look a badass and pick fights with people in bars, shave your head, grow a goatee and do MMA.
If you want to spend most of your time with your legs wrapped around a muscular young man, do BJJ.
If you like jumping around and acrobatics, pick modern wushu.
If you want to spend all of your time bowing, pick Karate.
If you want to join a club that teaches you how to pretend to fall on the floor, pick Aikido.
If you like to dress in black, pick Ninjutsu.
If you want something that is not going to work for 20 years (if at all), pick Tai Chi,

Or you could just study Zen and attend a regular circuit training class. It's just as good.

>leave the ego at the door
>facing smaller and physicaly weaker opponents are GREAT

aren't you muscling your way against them?

or BJJ if you wanna bring the "man" to the ground and punch his shit in or choke him either one.
In the end try both and do what suits you OP

No. What I mean is that they cant brute force their way out of submission for instance. Then I dont have to use MY myscles but can focus on doing it with good technique instead.
I CAN bruteforce it, but then I will have vasted a learning opportunity,

Or take striking. Flashy stuff like spinnig kicks or whatnot? I'm no pro so againt opponents of my own caliber they are kinda hard to do because they will defend them or avoid them too well. But a newbie? Then they will land more often, and you wont be as pressured so you will have more time to plan your moves.

get a skipping rope, hands wraps, gumshield and gloves tonight and starting boxing my man, you won't regret, it's a great fucking sport

Is Rodolfo Vieira on roids?

Do you give a lot of dudes BJJ's at the gym bro?

when did you start practicing it?
also what do you like the most and least about it?

What about take kwon do, there is a roving gang of wood boards and concrete blocks in my hood and I'd like to show them what's what

i trained for 2 years when i was younger, there's nothing not to like about boxing, it makes you physically and mentally tougher, gets you fucking ripped and just knowing that you can knock out any son of a bitch with 1 punch is great

did you get in any fights during the period when you practiced?

you mean amateur boxing fights or street fights ? i won 2 and lost 2 amateur bouts

I meant street fights