When did you grow out of altrock?

When did you grow out of altrock?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=UPuOX1RE4jI
youtu.be/e-ORhEE9VVg
youtube.com/watch?v=8pPvNqOb6RA
journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0027241
seatsmart.com/blog/lyric-intelligence/
m.mic.com/articles/95260/how-the-music-industry-is-brainwashing-you-to-like-bad-pop-songs#.sdc9jO2GC
youtu.be/IP0wuwJBdMI
youtu.be/OO1FkrAG3gg
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I can never tell if this image is bait or not.

haha neckbeards are fucking losers

kek

If you can't immediately tell it's bait, you're part of the problem. Tell your friends on here to take a course on Bait Identification

Psych listener: has transcended beyond normal people

Well I FIGURED it was bait, but I can never tell whether some of the people who post it take it as bait or are serious about it.

But thanks, I'll look for Bait Identification courses immediately.

youtube.com/watch?v=UPuOX1RE4jI

I never "grew out" of alt rock. I find it sad that even in music we have this Divide and Conquer scheme. Just listen to what you like, and respect others for what they like, even if it isn't your thing.

Music should bring us closer together, not move us farther apart.

what if i'm both tier 3 and tier 5

>that pic
Triggered

Bait is so prevalent on Sup Forums that i believe many people have begun to post bait without even realising it.

>post bait without even realising it
huh

there's no irony to this board.

just shit opinions.

Taylor Swift makes better music than Led Zeppelin did.

Compare:

youtu.be/e-ORhEE9VVg
Concise, better hook, better singing, better melodies, clear lyrical development and vocal /melodic layering, fun to sing along with, doesn't take the subject matter too seriously,

youtube.com/watch?v=8pPvNqOb6RA
Long-winded, nonsensical lyrics, melodramatic vocals, cheesy flutes, overly-long buildup laden with boring cymbal rides with an underwhelming payoff, eyeroll-worthy guitar solo.

Taylor Swift > Led Zeppelin
Deal with it and ditch that image macro already,

You're really doing this, aren't you?
7/10

Alt literally is the equivalent of those chipmunks sing top 40 hits CDs for kids.

There is objectively nothing more entry level and pleb than thinking shitty, generic, mediocre alternative (which is all signed to major labels) music is anything more than shallow pop music for edgy 17 year olds

My post isn't bait. I am tired of seeing this picture being paraded around as if a Sherlock-esque anonymous poster has pulled back the curtain to reveal some dark underbelly of Sup Forums. It's unbelievably annoying to me.

>Music is as immediate an objectification and copy of the whole will as the world itself is, indeed as the Ideas are, the multiplied phenomenon of which constitutes the world of individual things. Therefore music is by no means like other arts, namely a copy of the Ideas, but a copy of the will itself, the objectivity of which are the Ideas

What the fuck did I just read?

Sounds like Sup Forums

schopenhauer u uncultured swine...

>quoting a sentence that makes sense in the context of an argument but is rendered meaningless out of that context ISN'T being a massive poser
>also using that sentence as evidence for the superiority of a given subgenre of music to people who may not have read Schopenhauer ISN'T also being a massive poser
>Quoting that sentence ISN'T bastardising his ideas

stay phresh you young modernist

You're getting better.
7.5/10

I agree with this post

It's honestly a completely reasonable position to think Taylor Swift is superior to Led Zeppelin

>Long-winded, nonsensical lyrics, melodramatic vocals, cheesy flutes, overly-long buildup laden with boring cymbal rides with an underwhelming payoff, eyeroll-worthy guitar solo.
I'm sorry you're too pleb to understand a LZ song.

>I'm sorry you're too pleb to understand a LZ song.
This is an oxymoron.

pure verbosity

is taylor STILL singing about ex-boyfriends? jesus fucking christ

Not b8, I was being 100% serious. People are allowed to have their own opinions

I made some of the most easily arguable musical points I could possibly think of and the only reply was calling it bait.

These people are either gnostic in their beliefs or just so insecure about their ability to argue with me that they will never approach me on a level plane.

Don't bother trying to reason with them.

I realize this is bait and a lazy one at that. Let's actually settle this with studies:
journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0027241
seatsmart.com/blog/lyric-intelligence/
m.mic.com/articles/95260/how-the-music-industry-is-brainwashing-you-to-like-bad-pop-songs#.sdc9jO2GC
And here are 2 very interesting video on the topic:
youtu.be/IP0wuwJBdMI
youtu.be/OO1FkrAG3gg

Videos*

>lyric intelligence
This entire belief stems from a fundamental misunderstanding. These popular artists are not attempting to make high art, they are making social music that operates on a base emotional level. This is accomplished more effectively with simple language.

This is cognitive science / behavioral psychology / persuasion psychology 101.

I am failing to see what this has to do with what I posted. Chronological snobbery via blanket statements does not a compelling argument in the Swift V. Zeppelin case make.

wow u sure like to type fancy, i have a fancy word for u here: pseudointellectual, have u ever seen it before? idk what it means but i think it suits u :)

Why are they all wearing Sony headphones? The top 40 girl should at least be wearing beats or something if you're going to label their headphones

I estimate my post to be functional at a sixth grade reading level.

Excellent shifting of goalposts. All I was arguing when I said that preferring Taylor Swift over Led Zeppelin was a reasonable position was that people are allowed to have personal opinions about music. Trying to label someone's taste as better or worse is fucking nonsense.

How do you prove whether one person's taste is better than another's?

Also, that was really clever of you to link an article that cites the study you used as evidence.

Needs a Jazz section.

>All I was arguing when I said that preferring Taylor Swift over Led Zeppelin was a reasonable position was that people are allowed to have personal opinions about music.
Thanks for not reading anything I've referenced I guess...

If you can't present your own argument than I'm not going to argue with you

Are you the same person who posted ?
If so, shame on you, stop being such a blatant hypocrite.

I haven't.

metal is for fags

I'm not that guy

>This entire belief stems from a fundamental misunderstanding. These popular artists are not attempting to make high art, they are making social music that operates on a base emotional level. This is accomplished more effectively with simple language.
>This is cognitive science / behavioral psychology / persuasion psychology 101.
And that means we should appreciate someone as an artist and not as a businessman if he's or she's making music for the sole purpose of making money? As far as simple language goes, that's exactly what Franklin Zappa (for example) used in order to get his point accross and his music somehow wasn't pop music or commercialy successful. He engaged in trade deals with Eastern European countries in order to fund his projects and pay the orchestras he was working with, instead of making top 40 hits. That's what a person with artistic integrity does.

No, I'm not.

Frank*

That is a relief, thank you.

>And that means we should appreciate someone as an artist and not as a businessman if he's or she's making music for the sole purpose of making money?
I'm pretty sure Abél Tesfaye (The Weeknd) has come right out and said that he's only doing music for the money // recognition it gets him, and he was lauded here (until he actually became successful at it).

"Authenticity" debates are boring and often fruitless.

>That's exactly what Franklin Zappa (for example) used in order to get his point accross and his music somehow wasn't pop music or commercialy successful.
He was also communicating more intricate concepts than what I was referring to earlier over what was often much more complicated and attention-demanding music- however you are correct and he was very persuasive. His public speakings // interviews are great to watch.

>That's what a person with artistic integrity does.
It's time to get off that high horse and stop worshiping spooks. Many of the world's most acclaimed composers made music for money. Do you have disdain for Mozart because he partook in the patronage system ?

>Franklin Zappa

>It's time to get off that high horse and stop worshiping spooks. Many of the world's most acclaimed composers made music for money. Do you have disdain for Mozart because he partook in the patronage system ?
Spooks... I've had nothing but respect for you before this. Ad hominem attacks... Why? I'm aware that Michelangelo for example painted the Sistine Chapel in order to make money. My point is that there is a way to make and play the music you hear in your head, instead of what's popular and contemporary, without sacrificing the quality and your morals and integrity (if you had any to begin with).
See:

i wonder if this image is lowkey sony shilling

Who cares about morals and whatever? Only thing that matters is if it's good.

I'm not going to bother repeating myself.

All of these are cancer.
The true patrician listener has learned to leave abandon the artificial conceptual boundaries between musics.

Jimmy Page said he would have supported Bernie Sanders if he was a US citizen.
Taylor Swift voted for Trump.
This is reason enough to ditch Swift.

I like that this picture doesn't bash anyone, it actually tries to relate to and understand each type of listener while still being humorous.

Is that Schopenhauer in metalhead's thought bubble?

damn

Yeah

High quality bait

then you literally have the worst taste in music

>makes no mention of ambient/IDM

guess im just too patrician for this :^)

I still don't.