Interested in getting a bike but I've got a few dumb questions

Interested in getting a bike but I've got a few dumb questions,

Does a 250cc bike fare well on the highway? I mean I imagine that at that speed winds could easily fuck you up on a light bike.

This one is really dumb but, do you wear motorcycle gear over whatever the fuck your wearing, i.e. jeans or what?

Any decent bikes that are physically big but ideally 250cc or 600cc?

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=TrQCvE48yWc
twitter.com/AnonBabble

bump

same boat here, look at the sv650

I ride a ninja 250. No problems on the highway at 70+ mph, still has enough pull to pass, feels stable, etc. Probably depends on the bike tho, I don't think a Honda Rebel etc. would be the right thing for lots of highway riding.

how much do you weight?

if you are under 200pounds you can hit 100mph on a 250cc bike without issues. If you are 300 pounds and will ride with your 300 pound gf ( a much more likely scenario for Sup Forums) you are not going to be happy with anything under 600cc

you can buy reinforced motorcycle jeans but if you're gonna go full leathers, the more layers you have on the hotter you'll be.

a 250 can ride on the highway but it lacks power at high speeds (or any speeds). imo you should start with a 500-650 cc bike, no more than 70hp or so. honda makes a few 500cc bikes with the same engine and you can buy whichever one you think looks the best.

but i wouldn't buy new if it's your first bike, you're gonna drop it

Anything under 750 you're a fucking woman.

>600 supersport isn't enough

harley riding retard detected

I hit 150 mph on a ZX-7R stage two jet kit. I was pinned to the tank. Nice new asphalt as well.

listen up faggot I am going to make it easy for you. get around 5k together and buy a honda CTX 700.

you are welcome

you are welcome

OPs rat faced grandmother posting I see.

Well, anything 600cc and over is adult-sized.

I used to ride a Honda CB600F Hornet back in the day, nice for a starter bike, but it is a bit short and there's not much room for a passenger.

lmao. do this if you want to look like a huge faggot.

supermoto or sport bike, bruh, it's the only way to go

That is one fuck-ugly bike, but then again most tourers are

600cc is for fags and women.

>Does a 250cc bike fare well on the highway? I mean I imagine that at that speed winds could easily fuck you up on a light bike.

Got a Honda CBF600, about 220kg. I can go 200 km/h (125mph) on our autobahn, wind is usually not a problem. But of course you're more vulnerable to wind on any bike...

>This one is really dumb but, do you wear motorcycle gear over whatever the fuck your wearing, i.e. jeans or what?

Usually yes, but it can get really hot in the summer if you wear a jeans. For longer tours, theres special underwear that wont be soaked with sweat.

>Any decent bikes that are physically big but ideally 250cc or 600cc?

Check out the Yamaha MT-07, it is 689cc though...

Naked > All else

Well, I was a youngfag back then. As I said, nice for a starter bike.

My god!! All of you ride bitch bikes.

My first bike was 750cc.

The problem with 250cc bikes is you outgrow them almost immediately . If you can find a late model ninja 500r those are perfect, but unfortunately out of production since 2009. But you won't want to sell it within a week of owning like a 250.

also, motorcyclists are fucking assholes.

I ride a 8000cc hit 300mph last night
your all faggots

180-185
I'm looking for used rn, should I start with a 125cc? I have no road experience whatsoever

I like my spine intact bro

pretty good, i'm not sure if it'll be easy to find in the UK though

I'm 6'1" and I really worry about how i'll look on a faily small bike. Awkward and uncomfortable comes to mind
what do you guys suggest for a first bike? And I was looking at touring bikes. They seem really dope but come with heavy engines, are they a complete no-go for starters?

Bet you impressed nobody with your roll out wheelies.

Summer fag

You ride our faggots? How nice of you

Yeah cuz you're gonna make the use out of all that hp, I bet you're a squid faggot who rides an R1 and has never been to the track.

I currently do track / gonna start racing. 600cc is king. Never wanted an 1000 or will i ever. Unusable power. 600 is perfect for track racing.

I'd kill you instantly with one punch to the face

Your spine ... How about your tits Nancy boy.

Proof positive... Summer fag.

OP again with another retarded question but I don't particularly care about max speed as long as it can do the legal speed limit 80mph. Should I care? Genuine question because I'm not really into the whole speed demon thing. Tbh, I'm too pussy - worried about my own safety.

Stay in a cage bro.

Get a CBR500R its a decent beginner bike

Don't let these faggots make you think you need a high cc bike cuz you're just gonna kill yourself. Start out on smaller engine because it will be lighter, cheaper to maintain, and won't burn through fucking tires. You're insurance will be lower, and honestly 300cc is enough for highway speeds, yeah you wont be overtaking people as fast but the bike will be more forgiving if you fuck up.

Yeah, if your newly retired.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=TrQCvE48yWc

buddys track day on an r6. I would honestly say if you have self control/ the money buy a 600 as a first. You dont really outgrow them and anyone that says that theyre not fast enough dont actually ride them they just top em out on highway and say theyre slow. Dont be that guy learn how to actually ride.

Get a Vespa butt boy.

nakeds are cool as fuck. i've been looking at them but i'm worried they'd be really uncomfortable to ride with no fairings at all

I didn't kill myself. But then again I was born with talent.

B-but bikes are cooler. In all seriousness, I got quoted £2995 for car insurance, hence I'm getting a bike instead

Fool can't even get his knee on the ground.

Saved, thanks this is helpful

don't buy a 600 supersport first, i've met people that did and they all had one thing in common- they're all fucking retarded.

Camera reference point wont show him. Hes gonna upload vid of this upcoming track day w new angle that will show his bp. He goes through pucks quite fast. Please user do share your vids though i hope to learn from the master that is you

That's a steep price. Get a 600 and ride safely. The newer 600s are so light that high cc bikes don't need to be considered.

Me and 5 others started on a 600. We all do track and put in good mileage. Think it depends person to person.

250 is really good to start on and learn skills on but it is to light to do 130kmh comfy. If you can get it cheap buy it otherwise get a 400 or 500cc. Also consider a naked instead of a sportsbike. Clipons are a really bad way to learn riding. I drive a brutale 750. It sucks at commuting. Jerky throttle, bad running at low rpm, bad mpg, bad slow shifting. But beautiful bike, and joy to cruize fast on.

I certainly have self-control, but I'm worried about me having literally 0 road experience. That means, I don't drive a car. This is my introduction to the road as a whole. I mean it when i say my safety > all

I'm actually considering a 600cc since everyone seems to claim that you outgrow 250 fairly quickly. How long would you say it takes for the average person to move on from a 250?

Outgrowing a 250 average about 1-3 months. Working at a moto shop i can tell you 90% of 250 riders upgrade within first year its a useless investment.

most people say 600cc is for non-beginner and 250cc is too slow so go in between.

Haven't found it uncomfortable to ride. Maybe if you're going for max speed. I generally drive well over speed limits and it's been just fine.

They're not mopeds, they're designed with at least some speed in mind, you know.

Get a leather jacket as well. I was riding behind a truck when a fucking refrigerator feel off the back and I was wearing a damn polo shirt. I avoided the fridge but I was so shocked that I had to pull over and chill for a bit. I would've been fuck. Get a jacket.

The Brutale is extremely gorgeous, been looking at some for a while now. Too bad they're currently a couple thousand outside my price range.

Why aren't you asking this on /o/ ??

There are people there with a hellacious level of knowledge to give you.

If you have no road experience get a 500-600cc single or twin like bmw dakar or honda transalp ktm duke motorcycle, you have to learn a lot, you especially have to learn that no one is paying attention to you and automobilists are trying to kill you. You will have to get yourself out of a lot of shitty situations before you have learned to anticipate to shitty car drivers, you will want a forgiving, maneuverable, comfy bike. Not a semi sports.

>250 is really good to start on and learn skills on but it is to light to do 130kmh comfy.
This worries me, and as for naked bikes I'm open to any sort of bike I just want something comfortable, solid and something I can adjust to proper as someone with literally no road experience.

Would you not say the learning experience is at least worth it?

I'm not sure if you're taking the piss out of me or genuine advice?

wasn't even aware it existed i thought /o/ was transport

Not taking the piss mate. I remember my mouth tastes of iron while I was on the side of the road. Some stress response I reckon.

Fuck that. Get at least 1000cc bike..don't be a faggot. my dad had a Hayabusa when I was 15...whenever he went out of town I'd ride the fuck out of it..I'd sneak it out every chance I had. I weighed 129lbs and handled the bike with no problem. there is literally no reason at all to buy an underpowered bike

And get a leather premium brand jacket from revit, alpine, dainese. With hard back shoulder and elbow pads,Try them on before buy, they have a very different fit.get a textile overpants with soft hip and knee protection. Do not get jeans with kevlar patched, the jeans will rip ut and the patches wont. Full weave kavlar is okay. And get floves with thick hand palm leather. And get a fluo high viz backpack and helmet.

My dad had an SV650, pretty light bike, but extremely good beginners bike. Had plenty of power where needed.

>you will want a forgiving, maneuverable, comfy bike.
This is literally what I want, just didn't know how to word it. But is the engine size appropriate? Literally paraphrasing shit i've from google but isn't it a fact that a larger engine just makes it much more difficult to handle?

Cool, I'm going for proper gear anyway

Thanks, will look into this

Haven't read the thread but...

My first bike was a Suzuki GSX-250. I did thousands of miles on it and it was sweet at 60-70mph. The only thing you have to be aware of is that you cannot pass like you can on a big bike - the pick up is too slow from 50+mph (though it's not the fastest off the line either).

I did test ride a couple of four-cylinder 250s. They made a lot of noise and didn't really do much else.

Stay away from single cylinder machines.

Learn on a 250 to prepare for a big bike. You will grin your ass off when you open the throttle on a 1000cc+ machine for the first time. Trust me.

>Does a 250cc bike fare well on the highway?

I ride a GS500, and I feel like weight makes absolutely no difference. However, I feel like even 500 is slow as fuck for me and I almost can't stand it. I would suggest starting out on one of the 500s. I did, and I'm doing absolutely fine. Also, if you haven't already, take a riding class and get your motorcycle license endorsement. They'll teach you how to physically ride, and it really helps. Don't be arrogant.

Get a Grom. Fastest bike out there.

That's a lot of gear for a beginner. Just get a jacket, gloves, and don't ride wearing trainers.

i have an r6 i have gone 173 mph on it. i think youre an idiot

Did you do testdrives, you should try a dakar and transalp, cb500 gsf 600. That kind of bike is what you want.

Impressive considering your boyfriend was riding bitch.

Just want to say that i love this thread ... Fags.

this would be perfect for you OP!

I started in 2007 with a brand new 2007 yamaha R6 (600 cc supersport bike)

That article has some things to think about but is also just fucking wrong. I have been riding for 9 years, without a hiccup. you can start on a 600 too...just be smart about it, and dont ride outside your limit. i didnt do 150 mph on that bike till i had it for years.

just gotta ride smart and wear your gear

>cb500
Thanks, looking for a place to test drive this
>I ride a GS500, and I feel like weight makes absolutely no difference. However, I feel like even 500 is slow as fuck for me and I almost can't stand it. I would suggest starting out on one of the 500s. I did, and I'm doing absolutely fine. Also, if you haven't already, take a riding class and get your motorcycle license endorsement. They'll teach you how to physically ride, and it really helps. Don't be arrogant.
Thanks, I think i'll move away from 250. And deffo looking to take lessons

>cannot pass like you can on a big bike - the pick up is too slow from 50+mph
Thank you for this, hadn't even considered it

jelly?

I'm not even looking to go much over 80 let alone 150. That said the cb500 is pretty high-ish on my list right now. That's sort of what I'm trying to figure out.

Not at all. 600s are for housewives.

I'm sure you're aware op how you have to get a license in the UK to ride a bike? Just checking :)

You say that now like I said it back when. You will push the bike pretty far because it's like a drug. It sounds corney but it happens when you have a capable machine between you're legs. And then there are the super car fags who want to race you.

True ... The rest of the lot are for teenagers.

Idk man, paraplegia is pretty high on my all-time fears list. That said though, I'm not gonna lie I can see myself getting swayed but not overnight. It'll take me at least a year.

Yes, just making sure I can afford an okay bike before i settle on not getting a car. Just doing research beforehand. I haven't got a motorbike licence yet.

Cool. Good luck and have fun. I miss my bike but I'm married not and am an old fag. Glad I don't have the regret of not having a fast bike.

Thanks, good to know you've made it in hopefully 1 piece.

I got to second this sv 650 is very good starter bike. Get the abs model if you aren't experienced driver it's much safer.

If you want a smaller displacement engine, I'd totally get the Yamaha R3 or Honda CB300F.
If you want something bigger then get a Honda CB500F or CBR500R. All great bikes for starters.

I personally love the Yamaha FZ09. It's sexy and sounds amazing.

For gear, just wear jeans buy some kevlar riding pants and just wear them over your underwear.
Wear a normal shirt and get an armored mesh jacket if it is hot where you live (I live in Texas).
If it is not hot, then definitely get a Kevlar jacket.
Also, wear a motherfucking helmet. They even look cool.

Motor cycle mechanic reporting
250/300 are aight on the freeway they can do a top speed of 90 mph. they do not have much power so it takes a bit to climb to top speed.
yes you wear your LEATHER jacket above your clothes. BUY MOTORCYCLE BOOTS FAGGOT

get a Yamaha R3 or a ninja 300. SV650 / FZ6R / honda shadow 600 are also good starters

the cb500r is absolute garbage , the engins explode and burn oil
(motorcycle mechanic here)

A 250cc is not what you ant on the highway. You're going to want the ability to get around big trucks and get out of hairy situations. For interstate/highway, I'd recommend a 600cc minimum. A 600cc will also get you well over 55 mpg. It will also be more substantial, decreasing fatigue when riding along at interstate speeds. I recommend Honda. If you buy used, don't buy from a young guy. Try to find some guy who bought one during his mid-life crisis and didn't treat the engine like shit.

As far as gear goes, I've gone out in shorts and a t-shirt, and used to ride to work every day in scrubs. It all depends on the risk you're willing to take. Jeans and a jacket are smart. I HIGHLY recommend a full-face helmet. Those Half-helmets aren't worth shit. Road rash sucks. Never waking up again sucks more.

Used to ride a F800ST. Awesome bike. 800 engine was PERFECT.

ctx700 is a stupid bike

Got an alternative?

It's secondary but are these bikes physically 'big' or at least say significantly bigger than a ninja 250r. I'm 6'1-'62 and I've seen someone roughly my size mounting it and it looks awkward and uncomfortable. Also I live in the UK, what is summer?

>BUY MOTORCYCLE BOOTS FAGGOT
will do fam

i ride a 2016 Street bob Pic related , feel free to ask any questions
I work on jap british and italian bikes

Yeah I'm going for a full faced helmet, also I should have stressed that I won't be travelling on the motorway often, perhaps once a week. Mostly short commutes to school/work. I#d love to be able to go on a long road trip though. How are 600cc bikes for short commutes? Wasteful?

Nice. Are those large touring bikes easier to handle than sport's bikes? Marginally safer?

honestly the250/300 500's are garbage in general the engines are not ment for freeway and burn hella oil. if you dont check your oil level once a week (riding 200-300 miles a week) your engine will lock up and you WILL throw a rod.
li dont know what your budget is, but look into SV650 or a FZ6R / honda shadow 600 are all good starter bikes

no bikes are safe fam

Op just get either a ntv650 vor a xj-900 older models. Great for touring I think cons. Your hight the xj would be my choice

If you are looking for a good bike to learn how to ride, you should start off with a kawasaki h2r

30k starter bike gr8 b8 m8

Go big or go home

I had a rebel. It was great for learning. But it was way underpowered on the highway. I outgrew it within 3 months.

Piss off with your tesco brand bike.