Who is the David Bowie of this generation?

Who is the David Bowie of this generation?

Other urls found in this thread:

nme.com/blogs/nme-blogs/grimes-glastonbury-set-proved-bowie-and-prince-s-maverick-spirit-lives-on-771377
youtube.com/watch?v=COig9PmUyMQ&t=3s
m.youtube.com/watch?v=8RQytjwODEs
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

David Bowie

Kanye West

I don't think we have one. Maybe Frank Ocean or something?

obviously grimes whether you like her or not

ariel pink

Lady Gaga.

Kanye West is honestly the David Bowie of our generation, and it pains me to admit it but the similarities are blatantly there.

>Both reinvented themselves on every album
>Both have had large negative public reception
>Both slumped heavily in their middle age
>Has different personas for each album (Kanye and Bowie, for the most part, have had large aesthetic changes for each of their albums)
>Both were, at some point or the other, the most famous artists in the most popular pop genre at the time (Bowie for pop rock, Kanye for pop rap)
>Both have polarizing works in their fanbases (Bowie has Lodger and most of his late 90s output, Kanye has Yeezus, WTT and 808s)
>Both pioneered their own styles of fashion within the public reception
>Both combined experimentation (far more than their peers at least) with pop, to huge worldwide results
>Both have been met with large critical and mainstream acclaim
>Both can appeal to all races in one form or the other (something I didn't want to bring up but it had to be said, for example, Let's Dance by Bowie was huge in black-orientated discos, as well as Jesus Walks being popular in clubs most frequented by black people, while their other works, such as Black Skinhead and Heroes, appealed to white crowds)
>Both have struggled with their success and the fame it brought, usually to negative public reception
>Both have combined the popular trends in music with their own style of music (Bowie with Scary Monsters etc, Kanye with TLOP, MBDTF, etc)

i don't even like kanye outside TCD and LR (and some songs on TLOP and MBDTF) but it's hard to deny the similarities imo

one of dem

>Kanye West is honestly the David Bowie of our generation

good post

This.

Fyi this is old news:
nme.com/blogs/nme-blogs/grimes-glastonbury-set-proved-bowie-and-prince-s-maverick-spirit-lives-on-771377

this generation has failed to produce any artists that could be considered as great and influential as Bowie was

Kanye West wasn't as Bowie as Bowie himself, but he's definitely the one who is closest to being Bowie

this

NME is such a joke

Grimes

Here's the problem - David Bowie was a cultural alien in all of his incarnations. Kanye West is anything but.

Yes.

underrated

ha ha
hee hee
ho ho

>Bowie
>large negative public reception

Am I being memed here?

youtube.com/watch?v=COig9PmUyMQ&t=3s

>Am I being memed here?
Ya think?

Both are godly producers.
I'm not a fan of Kanye, but his production skills are godly.

Grimes is the new Bowie. It makes sense: highly acclaimed and controversial chameleonic pop masterminds, with a strong identity and fashion sense, having weird personalities and a strong sense of melody and rhythm. Very charismatic too.

Media hated him

>his production skills
Do you mean the production skills of the countless producers of his albums? Come on, he's not Grimes to stand on his own merits.

leonard cohen

Further proof is the cover of this album in which Bowie prophesied the coming of his spiritual successor K. Omari West

We're talking public reception not attention whores who get paid to write stupid shit

carseat headrest

Kanye invented the cuck culture

Who is being cucked on this cover tho?

I guess god cause an angel is getting fucked

Anything else is the wrong answer. Even for a listener, they're such album-focused artists that the entire experience is similar.

God dates the angels?

so in Kanyes mind God is white? wow

m.youtube.com/watch?v=8RQytjwODEs

listen to this and tell me it isn't totally bowie

Steven Wilson

I always thought that album felt like one of the Bowie-produced Iggy Pop albums.

It's got the macabre subject matter

>this generation
Wilson is from an older generation

You do realize Kanye was a producer before he was a rapper?

Trent Reznor?

Obviously you're retarded

Death Grips and Animal Collective

Trump

any reason you choose those two groups?

Nice bait, man.