trick question.

scales can't read.

If the flies are flying, there is no weight on the jar cum stain

Lmao. Retard.

spotted the retard

/thread

lol hes not a retard thats the correct answer

Jar closed or open?

The weight fluctuates as the wing movements of the flies changes the amount of force that keeps the jar on the ground

For the flies to stay in the air they need to push 0.5kg worth of air down. (Should be newtons) This is added to the 1kg to make 1.5.

I wrote a similar question for my students

Ok maybe your right :) they need to supply downward force at least equal to their weight. I still love you though

Lol. I've seen some pretty retarded fucks, but you lad just take the cake.

if flies fly 1 kg , if they dont 1,5 kg

Not all of which reaches the scale, most of it is lost to the air.

Retard.
> This is correct.

No. For a fly to, well, fly, it must supply a downward force to the air equal to its weight. In a closed container, that air cannot escape, so its motion supplies a downward force to the container that is exactly the same as the weight of the fly.

Now, the apparent weight of the jar will fluctuate slightly as the flies accelerate and decelerate, but the fluctuations will always average out to the weight of the flies.

Also, if the container isn't sealed, such as an open cage, then the air can escape into the environment without transferring its full downward force to the cage, and it will be lighter when the flies are flying.

Its 3.5 because there are 5 flies

According to my calculations the weigh weighs alot aswell. So it weighs itself before weighing the jar with the flies. Now air molycels in the jar weighs alot aswell. So my final vote is 5kg

I am an mathmatician and philospher moderator at reddit and i'm happy to have been to service.

Goodbye.

1.5kg, plus a negligible amount for the weight of the air, downdraft from flies creates 0.5kg of weight

>I wrote a similar question for my students
>for my students
>my students

this dude is teaching the future generation of america in science, and gets the answer wrong.

Scales measure mass of an object based on its weight ("weight" as a force on something due to gravity). Flies don't stand on the surface of the jar, so, their masses are not measured. Hence the answer - 1 kg.
But 0.5kg flies and 1kg jar are really something incredible...

Wouldn't the flies displace the air and add their weight?
It's like filling a balloon with a gas, yeah the gas molecules alone are negligible but add some and you are adding weight to it.
Inb4 called a retard, that's fine but explain to me why I'm wrong

>scales can't read
This

I agree.

No. For a fly to, well, fly, it must supply a downward force to the air equal to its weight. In a closed container, that air cannot escape, so its motion supplies a downward force to the container that is exactly the same as the weight of the fly.

Now, the apparent weight of the jar will fluctuate slightly as the flies accelerate and decelerate, but the fluctuations will always average out to the weight of the flies.

Also, if the container isn't sealed, such as an open cage, then the air can escape into the environment without transferring its full downward force to the cage, and it will be lighter when the flies are flying.

He actually got it right. Physics undergrad here

1+0.5= 1.5. were u not taught that in like fucking kindergarden? Fucking giving everybody aids with ur aids ass answer ur mother should have aborted you into a bowl of ramen noodles.

how are the flies staying up?
they need to flap their wings and push their own weight's worth of air downwards, onto the scale

bet you faggots can't do this

Youre retarded

Cum stain. Who are you referring to?
My answer is here.

lord of the flies

This, while a wonderful chance to showcase conservation effects, is an unrealistic model. The air is a compressible fluid, and as such you will see turbulent effects that direct the fluid sideways, pushing against the jar walls. Moreover, a boundary layer will form along the walls of the jar, further complicating the issue.

So yes, there would be an observable difference in system weight, as the rigid form of the jar absorbs some of the fluid's momentum. However, the drop in system weight would most likely be only a very, very small fraction of the total weight of the flies.

spotted the retard

It's 1.5
Myth busters tested this with birds in a truck.
You can all fuck off now

this

I hope the next big thing you work on explodes and ends up KILLING A FUCK TON OF PEOPLE AND YOU ARE INVESTIGATED BY THE PRESS AND SENT TO PRISON TO ROT AND THEN YOU WILL REMEMBER THE FLY THREAD ON Sup Forums AND HOW FUCKING WRONG YOU ARE AND BECAUSE YOU DIDN'T ANSWER THE CORRECT WEIGHT OF THE FLIES PEOPLE ARE DEAD

spotted the mega retard

spotted the retard

The scale is probably reading your shit post.

Faggot.

If any of you need help visualizing this think of a chinook hovering a metre off the ground. The air is so strong you need two people to signal it off: one to signal with his hands, and the other to push him against the wind so he doesnt fall backwards.

Answer is 1.5kg if lid is closed
If lid is open answer is 1 - 1.5kg

you sound very mentally and emotionally stable.

Dude is so cock sure but still wrong

Spotted cum stainers and retards.

The scale reads this thread

Youre a retard. A confident retard

depends

if you are really a retarded jew, then

if the flies does not sit on the glass, then it will be 1kg..

but since flies always sit on everything, like jews on people's assets ...

it will most probably be close to 1.5kg

now go kill yourself and shoot up some faggot night club..

It's "Flies weigh" not "Flies weighs"
You're all retards.

strawpoll.me/10518754

No mass change in any situation... if there were a mass change, where would it go? Pure energy? Congrats - you just annihilated your home and said glass jar.

As we all know, there's a difference between mass and weight (i.e. weight can change, mass doesn't). The weight of the jar, on a super-sensitive scale, may change as the fly takes off (initially heavier as the fly pushes down on the bottom, then lighter as the fly is in the air). Weight = force exerted downwards. Imagine standing on a scale, then jumping up and down. Initially, you would be, say, 10 lbs. Then, when you jump, you are pushing against the scale - so maybe 20 lbs. Then the scale would read "0" as you are in air; when you land, it would read more than 10 lbs. Got it? Now, as for the aloft fly - does your weight change when a hummingbird flies over your head?

Now, the only way that there would be a difference between the weight of a jar with and without lid is if there were a pressure change. Unless you're going to posit that, I say no change with & without lid. (I guess if the fly flies in such a way as to create air currents that wouldn't be there with a lid off, you would have a weight differential.)

As for the mass of the system... at any time, it is the sum of:
-mass of the jar
-mass of the air
-mass of the fly

None of these are changing at any time. I'm assuming constant pressure; even when the fly is aloft, it's not suddenly lighter (much in the way that a 747 doesn't lose mass when it takes off).

Anyone else?

Yep, when I wrote that, I didn't consider that the jar is sealed. But I don't know if 1.5 is correct. Fly's wings exert downward force on the air around them, which causes air circulation. Does the air flow exert the same force on the bottom of the jar i.e. 5 newtons?

Spotted the retard

Do you mean "flies" as in the group of flies or "flies" as in "each fly weighs 0.5 kg"

>mass of air

ok retard

MYTH BUSTERS DID THIS WITH BIRDS IN A VAN
ANSWER IS 1.5KG
DONT KNOW WHY BUT THATS THE ANSWER
END THREAD
END THREAD
END THREAD
END THREAD

>damage control

>currents
>air

Retard

>actually believing those schills

obviously .5

>not understanding buoyancy
1.5kg.

Feels good to be an engineer.

Its 0.5kg because the flies bring the air up with it and minus from weight retards

im with this

Jesus fucking christ, Sup Forums.

The jar weights 1.5kg because the flys, although in the air, are generating .5 kilo of thrust against the bottom of the jar to suspend themselves.

>inb4, 1kg

Morans, the flies drag the weight up with it from lift. 1 minus 5 is half. Im engineer delhi

Im nurse 1 - 0.5 is 1.5
morans

spotted the retard

spotted the newfag

It's 0 kg, you guys are completely fucking retarded. The jar decreases by 0.5kg because the flies are added to the jar. Then the 0.5kg from the flies and the 0.5kg from the jar cancel out, leaving 0 kg.

Go back to a middle school science class if you can't understand something as easy as this...

FUCKING FINALLY

>what does the scale read?

mein kampf

Morans, retards, it is i, 0.5kg, i am study flies and glassware

>minus from weight retards

>FUCKING
>RETARD

1kg. The flies aren't putting any pressure on the bottom of the jar. Since weight which is defined by forces is what gives the scales weight and there is no force the only thing measured is the jar's weight.

The scale reads : >II I I I I I I by the looks of it.

>scales
>flies
Scales is fish u moran

0.5kg. Flies fly up but blocc by lid, so if lid close 0.5kg, if opeb then flies fly away so it just 1kg

>what does the scale read
The WSJ

1.5kg, the downward force of the flies is equal to their weight mornons

Trick question, the scale reads 111111.

Stfu mormon, flies fly up and push against ceiling so minus 0.5 retard

Ayo, hol up, hol up. Da flyes iz da gravitiez den?

Good thing for her that his dick was tiny.

1kg, the flies are flying

Theres no significant displacement of air, and the scale is zeroed with the jar off it so assuming none of the flies land it weighs 1kg. otherwise it's anywhere between 1 - 3.5 kg

0.5 because one would've "zeroed" out the weight of the jar before putting in the flies and finding THEIR weight. Why would you want to find the weight of both the flies AND the jar?

If youre not fucking retarded you know the answer is 1.5 kg because of the energy it takes for the flies to hold themself up, they push down with their wings to fight gravity, making them weigh exactly the same as they would if they were not in the air /thread

5kg + volumeritic pressure which is 7kg =12kg

How many flies are in the jar?

Are they enormous?

.5 kg of flies is a lot, to say the least.

1.5kg, with some variation
For the flies to be airborn they need to produce more/equal (depending on if they're rising or staying afloat) force that gravity produces. The jar will weigh 1.5 kg.

Well, considering a fly weighs around 11 mg (0.00011 kg), I don't think the jar would fit all of the flies. Even so, at least some of them would be forced to the ground by the sheer amount of traffic in such a confined space. Therefore, anyone who says 1kg is the real fucking retard. The real answer is "not enough information, cannot be determined."

Because op is retarded and probably never paid attention in chemistry.

>weighing things is not chemistry
You're misinterpreting the question on purpose

The only way the flies could be in the closed jar and not cause the scale to increase with their weight is if there was no air and they were not contacting any part of the jar.

So yes, 1.5kg.

did i win