Now being your typical american that doesn't really follow football all that well...

Now being your typical american that doesn't really follow football all that well, can you explain to me the level of impact Iceland winning today's match vs England is in sport's history. Not just the history of football but all sports history. Where will Iceland's victory go down in history in regards to "sports upsets"?

Other urls found in this thread:

gazzetta.it/Sport Vari/Basket/Primo Piano/2004/08-Agosto/03/dream.shtml
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Imagine if St. Mary's school for the Autistic and Blind beat the Green Bay Packers that's aboit where we are right now

>mfw I went to that school

it's not THAT big of an upset, people just like to make fun of england on here

england was never seen as some high tier team in this tournament

What's going on here?

this
literally nobody outside the English media and the typically delusional English fans r8ed this team before the tournament began

Not that big, England really isn't all that good. I'd say it's comparable to like an 11 seed eliminating a 6 seed in March Madness, but that 6 seed is Baylor.

this is surely one of the most infamous moments of England NT, along the failed qualification of Euro 2008 and the 2014 WC run.

But still, it's just one more reason to make fun of English people, nobody expected them to actually win the tournament

>not being up to date with your memes

compare to 2007 when the 8th seeded Warriors laid the upset on the top-seeded Mavericks

Is just funny because they invented modern football but are absolute shit and yet everytime there is a competition their media hype them to stratosphere and when they fail they trash it completely. I honestly think they would struggle in concacaf.

I'd say on par with USA Basketball in Athens. Like yeah, historically they're good. They have big names. And anything other than gold was a dissapointment. USA basketball finished 3rd in Athens.

But also, they didnt lose to a powerhouse or anything. Its like USA basketball losing to Nigeria or Mexico. A country with literally 0 history.

People seem to forget that England in the past 16 years haven't won a single knockout game in the euros.

>Like yeah, historically they're good
>And anything other than gold was a dissapointment

You have to understand England is pretty average despite what all the British posters on here say. They really haven't had a good team for about 10 years. Combine that with the fact that they're known for failing to perform in important matches and this exit really isn't that big of a surprise. There are eight teams left in the Euros, and England just really isn't one of the eight best teams in Europe. The fact that they lost to such a small country with little history like Iceland is pretty funny, but I don't think people outside of Iceland will remember this in 10 years.

in ANY major competition

They did in 2002.

i agree, im not even that surprised they lost. england is always overrated and overhyped and soccer is a very volatile game. all you need is one chance to score while the other team struggles all game and doesnt get it. sometimes big favorites barely squeeze in a win, its not unlikely to see upsets. besides iceland is pretty good

Not even close, it was an upset but not as big as people make it out to be

Iceland beat Austria, Netherlands, Turkey. Played a draw vs Portugal.

It was hardly an upset. I don't know why some people were so surprised. The group games were a good indication that this might happen.

>historically they're good
Not really, they've finished top 4 in a major tournament 4 times in their history.
>They have big names.
Yes, big names, but not good players. The only reason you hear about them is because they're English and overhyped.
>And anything other than gold was a dissapointment.
They've won one major tournament ever
>USA basketball finished 3rd in Athens
If England finished third they'd be ecstatic.

it's an upset in general terms
England probably has a dozen CITIES with a bigger population than all of Iceland

True. But only a very mild upset in terms of the actual tournament.

>it was hardly an upset
i think you're upset m8

OP, this was a significant upset, it would be like a minor league farm team beating a mid-tier major league team in baseball, or a newly formed college NCAA team with no history beating a not-very-good NFL team. It's significant.

That's a fox not a wolf.

Wasn't a surprise at all, England is always lame as fuck

pretty much this, its a suprise, but not even close to the bullshit comparisons some folk make here

>i think you're upset m8
Not at all. Iceland got some good results against decent teams by sitting back/counter-attack etc. And England could barely buy a goal when teams sat back against them. I honestly can' understand the surprise. In terms of 'reputation', yes it was on upset, but given the state of the two teams it was only a mild surprise, if that.

IT'S NOT A BIG DEAL

ENGLAND HAS NEVER BEEN GOOD

ENGLISH PLAYERS ARE OVERRATED

ICELAND BEATING THE NETHERLANDS WAS A BIGGER DEAL

Imagine a college basketball team with a lot of past success like Villa Nova or Georgetown being overrated but seeded 1 or 2 one year in March Madness, and them getting knocked out by a no name college that qualified for the first time ever in storybook fashion

the city of Leicester has about the same population as Iceland FYI.

so kinda like what happened to michigan st

>fifa WC 2014 didn't get of the pool
>CWC 2015 didn't get out of the pool
>RWC 2015 didn't get out of the pool
>T20WC made it to the final only to choke on the BBC
>and then getting cucked by Iceland
Whats next for English international sport?

Nothing happened really. A shitty team defeated another shitty team, that's all.

It's basically butler in the finals in 2010
Or northern Iowa beating Kansas

*except if northern Iowa and butler were independents in division iii

Iceland isn't nearly that bad. Appalachian State beating an extremely overrated Michigan is the closest single game I can think of

its funny because they thought they have a chance THIS YEAR, its always like that
then they choke
Iceland won its own qualy group, so they can play, but still the underdog

its gona go down as a sort of miracle though since
a, iceland is a really small country
b, its their first show on international cups and they already made it into best 8

I actually don't even get the surprise.

>England
Overrated every fucking time. Every time lucky if they get past the group phase.

>Iceland
Surprisingly good team considering they aren't even professionals. Played a really good qualifier.

It's actually like Jaguars vs Rams?

England NT is a mismanaged joke. It's not so much that Iceland played strong, it's that England played so weakly.

It's EPLs fault, players have to play like 40-50 club games throughout the year with no real break and are then supposed to perform in the heat of summer as well.

And because of the huge TV payouts in England there's not a single english player in any other domestic league.

>tfw all the media talked about today was Iceland's "huge" upset against England
>practically ignored Italy vs. Spain

>Italy are.good
>Spain are shit
>good team won

??

Where's the story????

spain wasnt shit
england was

>Hungary

Literal who

Imagine a SEC team losing for an alaskan team in college handegg

the team who didnt get beaten by iceland
HAHAHAHAH YOU FUCKING SHITTER

Its not a HUGE upset. England really isnt that good. People on this board are just going apeshit because fucking ICELAND memed all over a country everyone likes to make fun of.

its like bolivia beating a 7-1 neymar-less brazil. After they claimed at the top of their lungs that they were gonna win it all because of prestige or whatever, while everyone else was rolling their eyes

They beat Equador in 2006.

this, netherlands losing twice against iceland in the qualifiers was a better upset desu

It's like an USA baseball national team got knocked out from a tournament by a nation like Panama

Or that time we beat them 95-78
gazzetta.it/Sport Vari/Basket/Primo Piano/2004/08-Agosto/03/dream.shtml

According to demographics, Iceland is 330k ppl. Half of them are women, what
leaves us with ~170k ppl. Another 120k is either too young or too old to play
football.

This means that they have selected a team better than inventors of football
from more or less 50k people, but i didn't exclude any sick, disabled etc.

One of the french announcers yesterday said there are roughly 100 (one-hundred) professional football players in Iceland.

Tbqh this year has been good as an England fan. Our rugby and cricket teams are both doing well now they have Aussie coaches. But our football team will always be crap - there are too many problems to be reformed and too much money in the Prem for the FA to bother.

>Out of 15 000 registered male players, 3 000 are adults
>This means there are 12 000 registered Icelandic boys up there slowly maturing their football RIGHT NOW

This is only the beginning.

IT's the overall smugness of English supporters,who have been spamming this Faroese harpoon trading #irc channel since they made it past the qualifiers. I noticed last night during the bbc radio show with the callers that none of them said Yeah Iceland played well or any sort of even half-praise to the biggest underdog in football history. Just mememe narcissism.

>It's coming home lads
>It's coming home lads
>It's coming home lads

It's never coming home "lads". You delusional cunts. Romania will win a major tournament before England.

>Implying 2018 isn't our year.

Edit forgot pic that sums p England supporters.

Ian Darke compared it to losing to America in 1950
>lol