Why do people who are into rap not try metal?

Why do people who are into rap not try metal?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=BSM7S4v76tg
youtube.com/watch?v=XEMpI2PjNQ0
youtube.com/watch?v=klVU-O5M-jA
youtube.com/watch?v=iHJjSSrR6x4
youtube.com/watch?v=8hXpMGwbBGc
youtube.com/watch?v=iFlnzfN_dj8&list=RDiFlnzfN_dj8#t=36
youtube.com/watch?v=pm6aI1KKX-k
youtube.com/watch?v=2HEGGlYg7_Y
youtube.com/watch?v=PEHzU3iRl9Y
youtube.com/watch?v=-Kqf6vtQmPQ
youtube.com/watch?v=sulY3bixDxI
youtube.com/watch?v=qhS0j3WxfWY
youtube.com/watch?v=mHtpU4aABPI
youtube.com/watch?v=ftHiF4fIDfQ
youtube.com/watch?v=_duhhVa-dk8
youtube.com/watch?v=LdMvNiyq8Hs
youtube.com/watch?v=tsdWLtPAVqM
youtube.com/watch?v=QBBBq_I15SU
youtube.com/watch?v=qI4NAKs6bnM
youtube.com/watch?v=8RJ5Cf4Xv8U
youtube.com/watch?v=7Q4CrPeZBP8
youtube.com/watch?v=pfFD709OtFM
youtube.com/watch?v=Lp5DQl1FcJ0
youtube.com/watch?v=iUBTIyn0uR4
youtube.com/watch?v=ijP_oRCiV6I
youtube.com/watch?v=xA2AJIiw0p8
m.youtube.com/watch?v=fQ-KGl-u7bU
m.youtube.com/watch?v=vWZ5yKhzs-0
youtube.com/watch?v=WbfyerV37LQ
twitter.com/AnonBabble

...Because the genres sound completely different and would probably not appeal to them?

Also screamo. Screamo is bad.

it's actually called Moyen Metal because all those album covers were drawn by Chris Moyen

>screamo
>metal
Pick one

My point is why, don't they give some of the essentials a try?

the fuck does screamo have to do with metal or rap?

So screamo isn't in metal?
Alright, my mistake.

Where would a rap fan start with metal? And why specifically rap fans?

many of them do, actually
it just doesn't stick with them, just like rap rarely sticks with metalheads

I'm into hip-hop and I like a handful of metal bands (Tool, Mastodon, Melvins, Deftones, RATM)

Because they're probably the least likely to try it, or to like it, based on their predisposition of enjoying rap. I would recommend rap fans to start with the entry-level stuff like Metallica's Master of Puppets, or some Megadeth or Iron Maiden. The reason I think of this is because there's a YouTuber called WeeabooReacts who is a black guy who listened to rap and started taking suggestions for albums and songs to listen to and a bunch of metal heads got a hold of his channel and exposed him to all kinds of metal and he ended up liking a lot of it a lot, saying Master of Puppets was the best album he has ever heard.

Screamo is a subgenre of emocore, which is a subgenre of hardcore punk, which is a subgenre of punk rock.

Not all angry rock music is metal.

Like I said, man. My mistake. I misunderstood what the vocal style was called. My apologies.

Does System of a Down count as Metal?

What if I've tried a lot of the entry level stuff and didn't enjoy myself. Am I beyond saving?

It's not really a 'saving' thing, you don't like a genre and that's fine. Or at least that's the way I see it. :)

rapfag here

mostly just into the hipster cascadian shit like wolves in the throne room

doom is cool too

SOAD is comedic nu-metal/funk metal. Not the truest shit around

there's lots of different stuff in metal you know. There's metal for almost every mood, some that focuses on lyrics, some that focuses on beats, some that focuses on basslines, some on melodic solos...

So who fucking knows, maybe you'll end up latching onto some obscure funeral doom bands or onto half-forgotten glam metal .

What kind of movies do you like? based on that I can give you specific recs

>atmoshit
have you at least given legit atmospheric BM a try?

>nu-metal
Ok, you know more about this stuff than I do, so another question.

What qualifies A group as 'nu-metal'? I ask because often nu-metal isn't exactly a compliment for most bands (I understand SOAD is probably the exception).

depends, hip hop is very often also hypermasculine, probably even moreso, and about "going hard"/"being heavy"
slam death metal basically consists of hip hop-like grooves
and it's not like you couldn't happen to like very different things at the same time anyways, that'd be boring

downtuned guitars, circular syncopated groove riffs, rapping sometimes, softLOUD dynamic for the verses and chorus. it's not a compliment it's just a descriptor

Nu-metal is an aggregation of a bunch of other genres (sludge metal, funk metal, groove metal, industrial metal, rap metal, and maybe a few others) and doesn't really have a fixed formula. But generally it has:
-a strong focus on the bass, sometimes with slap basslines and bass solos (that comes from funk metal like Primus)
-groovy, chugging riffs with very little melody (that's taken from groove metal and industrial metal)
-sometimes industrial percussions (guess where that's from)
-rapped vocals
-clear vocals that are kinda whiny or lascivious.

but I think the unifying theme behind nu-metal is that it's supposed to sound deranged and wacked-out, rather than just aggressive or hard. Sometimes it takes a very comedic approach to it like with SOAD, sometimes it's more spectacular like with Slipknot and sometimes it's just fucked-up and disgusting like with Korn.
A common lyrical theme is all the fucked-up stuff kids go through when they grow up. Another one is the serial killer mythos, and as you know those two themes are very intertwined in pop culture. Apparently those themes come from bands like Acid Bath and Marilyn Manson & the Spooky Kids (bands that aren't nu-metal but had an influence on it) but nu-metal in general is really more about madness than about aggression, and portrays it in a raw and grotesque way instead of romanticizing it like some Thrash or Death bands would.

yeah softLOUD dynamics are very prevalent in nu-metal.

Nas is Mike Patton
Mike Patton is Nas

Seriously though. Mike Patton is so much more talented.

Like, I'd rather hear from Gogol Bordello than Bone Thugs.

...Damn there's a lot more to Nu Metal than I thought...

Thanks for clarifying.

Because they don't listen to fucking Cypress Hill even though they should!

Hip Hop sucks. The producers do everything.

Let beyonce do this youtube.com/watch?v=BSM7S4v76tg

I miss James Brown
I miss Sam Cooke
I don't like Young Thug

Niggers be slacking

Nu-Metal is a mess of heterogenous influences that are loosely tied together by the themes I mentioned, and that's precisely why people tend to hate it.
Like even if many bands try to mix metal with other genres, at the end of the day, most metalheads value stylistic purity, and nu-metal completely disregards that; which could be fine in the context of an artsier "avant-garde metal" movement, but since nu-metal explicitly aims for low-brow fun and gut reactions, all that stylistic experimentation is dismissed as wiggers trying to do metal and failing hard.

Now with that being said, there are still purists who can appreciate some of the more complex and harsh nu-metal bands like early Slipknot.

Yeah OP, you might like slam death metal.

A lot of recent slam death is played by wiggers (that's what they label themselves as) and follows hip-hop grooves and vocal flow.

But, you know, it's a subgenre of brutal death metal. So the sound is crunchy, bassy and abrasive as fuck, and the vocals are guttural toilet noise growls. But if you're into horrorcore rap you might enjoy it.

Try listening to The Projects and Epicardiectomy.

>So screamo isn't in metal?

lurk moar or get the fuck off this board

>obtain friend who listens to rap
>get him really high
>post doom or ambient black metal
works ever tiem

>post doom or ambient black metal
play, rather

what is post doom

drone?

Recommend me some metal that talks about real shit and isn't angsty, instead of singing about hobbits and blackened hearts and medieval plagues and shit.

I appreciate rap that talks about real life shit, and things that people go through in their daily lives. Metal seems like a lot of fantasy to me. I will entertain serious metal recommendations and give them an honest try.

Slayer - Angel of Death, for one

>he has to have everything spelled out literally and doesn't get that myths and stories are basically metaphors

It's not that I don't get it. It's that it seems childish and often trite, and the lyrics end up not appealing to me. It's an honest answer to why I like rap and not metal. I don't like metal's lyrical conventions relying on heavy-handed fantasy bullshit.

If you want something similar but a lot noisier and darker listen to this:
youtube.com/watch?v=XEMpI2PjNQ0
Something similar but with post-metal influence:
youtube.com/watch?v=klVU-O5M-jA
Something similar but folk influenced:
youtube.com/watch?v=iHJjSSrR6x4
Something similar but with screamo influence:
youtube.com/watch?v=8hXpMGwbBGc
Shoegaze influenced alt-metal:
youtube.com/watch?v=iFlnzfN_dj8&list=RDiFlnzfN_dj8#t=36
If you like that check this out (zach hill on drums/drum machine):
youtube.com/watch?v=pm6aI1KKX-k
For thrash listen to Master of Puppets:
youtube.com/watch?v=2HEGGlYg7_Y
If you're down with thrash listen to this:
youtube.com/watch?v=PEHzU3iRl9Y
Grindcore:
youtube.com/watch?v=-Kqf6vtQmPQ
Sludge (basically rock'n'roll-core)
youtube.com/watch?v=sulY3bixDxI
Even more rock influenced:
youtube.com/watch?v=qhS0j3WxfWY
Post-Metal:
youtube.com/watch?v=mHtpU4aABPI
If you like the post-metal, check this out:
youtube.com/watch?v=ftHiF4fIDfQ
I was never really able to get into death metal but I don't really mind Death:
youtube.com/watch?v=_duhhVa-dk8
If you're into Death, this is a really fun Death'n'roll band:
youtube.com/watch?v=LdMvNiyq8Hs
There's an entire genre of hardcore that uses exclusively this guitar tone:
youtube.com/watch?v=tsdWLtPAVqM
+Death/ thrash metal
youtube.com/watch?v=QBBBq_I15SU
+Hardcore/ Black Metal
youtube.com/watch?v=qI4NAKs6bnM
+Really groovy thrash/ hardcore
youtube.com/watch?v=8RJ5Cf4Xv8U
Trad. Heavy Metal:
youtube.com/watch?v=7Q4CrPeZBP8

Also, listen to Converge/ stuff produced by Kurt Ballou

OK, I'll listen to as much as I can stand. Thanks for all the recommendations. It'll take a while to go through.

i get it, metal is about theatricality, hip hop is about realness or coolness, those sort of bite each other

nu metal is usually about expressing directly relatable feels
thrash metal is about politics and society and stuff pretty often, like that Slayer track i pointed out
Liturgy and early At the Gates for example are really good at evocative lyrics that aren't campy but still sort of theatrical

No worries man, I made this list for a thread a while ago and kept it incase it came in handy again. Funny thing is I totally forget what record I originally made these recs for. I don't really listen to metal anymore, just hardcore punk and a little black metal, but I listened to it a lot growing up and I think this pretty much sums it up.

Theatricality. That's the perfect word for it. I think it comes across to me as a feeling of "trying too hard" or just trying to look cool. Try-hards are in rap, too, obviously, but I hate that shit.

It's that Metalocalypse thing, "blacker than the blackest black, times infinity." I like that show, though, and thought the first album was good (didn't listen to the others that much) because the lyrics were funny and lampooned the try-hard stuff.

I've seen Varg Vikernes' youtube videos about how try-hard the black metal scene was in Norway in the 90s, too, so I guess that strengthened my bias. I tried early Burzum because I liked his personality but I just couldn't get in to it.

yeah see that's not something i have any problems with. i don't see why i would. especially because yeah, metalheads lampoon themselves constantly, which i don't really know from rappers

you cant turn up to metal

>i only know atmoshit and other Sup Forumsdrone hipster metal

I listened to rap then metal and now I listen to both, the thing that I can actually put my finger on that I like are the lyrics and the metaphors.

I'd say easing you into it with nu metal or metal and rap collabs

youtube.com/watch?v=pfFD709OtFM

youtube.com/watch?v=Lp5DQl1FcJ0

youtube.com/watch?v=iUBTIyn0uR4

youtube.com/watch?v=ijP_oRCiV6I

youtube.com/watch?v=xA2AJIiw0p8

My favorite metal album, deals with government surveillance.

Screamo is slang for the genre Skramz, which was a derivative of hardcore punk and emo in the late 90's and the early to mid 2000's.

It has nothing to do with metal.

This is skramz, or screamo if you insist.
m.youtube.com/watch?v=fQ-KGl-u7bU

This is (one of the many genres of) metal
m.youtube.com/watch?v=vWZ5yKhzs-0

i thought skramz was slang for screamo

Ayyy. I used to know the founder of Impiety.

Well OP, some people are into both. Some very clever people even decided to combine the two, and that's where cancer came from.

>Some very clever people even decided to combine the two, and that's where cancer came from.
ironic because this sentence gave me cancer xD

ex dee

you would be best starting with body count. its Ice T doing metal.

youtube.com/watch?v=WbfyerV37LQ

war metal might be difficult to get into for some

>Moyen Metal
>no Oath of Black Blood

Proclamation artwork was not done by Moyen

Dunno man, it feels like everyone in the early 2000's listened to hip-hop and metal almost exclusively.

I enjoy both.

>Not this one

>legit atmoshit
no such thing.