Ask an ex-smoker anything

Ask an ex-smoker anything.

I smoked for twenty years and have been nicotine-free for 366 days now.

Feel any better?

You have no idea. My pulse used to around 80 ar rest, it's down to 44 now. My entire system has been rebuilt. Everything is better, even my bowel movements are better.

Good for you OP. I've been smoking for 23 years and it's a struggle to even think of quiting

How did you start? Why did you start, was it because of peer pressure?

Please try harder. My doctor told me that 35 was pretty much last call to have any hope of not taking damage. Ask your doctor for Champix.

Smoked from 15-28.

7 years smoke free.

Starting was the stupidest thing I ever did. Quitting was the hardest.

Nice dude you finally threw your crutch in the trash

I was young and dumb. Everyone else was doing it. I know it sounds cliche but at the time it was still cool and anti-establishment or whatever.

Also, both my parents smoked.

I started when I was 15, to be part of the cool kids group I guess.

Both very envious of you and happy for you, smoking 13-26 now.. Pack a day.. Scared shitless what I'm doing to my body but can't seem to quit..

So true. The first month consumed me. I dont think I would have made it if not for the drugs my doctor gave me. The fucking pills cost me a years worth of tobacco but damnit if they didn't work.

Thanks bro, I'm very proud of myself :)

Well fuck me. I'm 34 and it looks like I need a change very soon. But thanks for reminding me

Champix bro, ask your doctor. How many years have you been smoking, how old are you?

She told me this very seriously bro. And let me tell you, going to the doctors is whole other experience now; they actually take you seriously.

For me I used the patch and a bag of the greenest weed money can buy. Just forced myslef to smoke weed whenever I couldn't take the craving.

The thing that finally got me to quit was realizing I couldn't even have a puff. If you think 'well I can have a smoke with my buddy while at the bar' you are fucked.

I will never ever ever smoke tobacco again. Even turn down weed mixed with tobacco.

Only bad part was I put on about 30 pounds the year after quitting. Got fit after that, but it was tough celebrating a year smoke free and then realizing I had gotten fat

Weed does help sometimes, except its very hard to get where I'm at so basically I would have to smoke straight hash which is not really my thing ... I have shit to do you know? ;)

I agree with you completely; even second-hand smoke is frightening to me now :/ I'm so scared I'll feel the urge too strong and jump in because I feel sorry for myself because my dog died or whatever ...

Whoops kinda fucked up my post, I'm 26 now and been smoking since my 13th. Pack a day or more since 17.. What does that Shit do?

Are you OP and a year out? Fuck man I am 7 years out and still fear tobacco. Every once in a great while (often when I smell them and I am drunk or after sex) I will crave them. But my willpower is so strong I just laugh.

About once a month I think to myself 'user, you fucking did it man you quit those damn things'. So proud 7 years later.

My little bro (29) smokes still and I think a large part of why he started was to be like me. feel kinda bad.

It makes tobacco taste like the worst thing you can imagine. You take the pills for three months (two every day) and they will give you four months worth of treatment. The last pack is flipped upside down to sort of weane yourself off it.

Be warned tho, this is serious drugs, with side-effects.

If you could quit now you would literally not take damage almost guaranteed.

I am OP. I completely agree with you. I find this information very useful and I feel I understand my dependency a little better because of you. Thank you. I will expect this to be a problem forever ;)

We should really go to meetings or something.

and sorry about your bro. My sister does it too. She has a kid that I love you know? I can see the circle ... fucking sucks.

user, I'm definitely going to look into this and make an appointment with my doctor.. Thanks bro

ha ha Ya I can't believe they sell cigs even. After a year you are pretty good as long as you remember to not even have a puff no matter what. Occassionaly I will still dream I smoke a cig and when I wake up I am like 'OH NO!!...' but then I laugh because I realize it is a dream because the cig is like three feet long or I light it with my finger or some shit.

For those looking to quit (other than the weight) it is nothing but positives. Chicks don't like smokers, you stop stinking, you handle stress and life events so much better, food taste better... just everything.

I tell him all the time to quit and kinda shame him but I know that I can't do shit. He has to want to quit. Amazing our brains can be so weak and susceptible to that shit.

Fucking do it bro. You have no idea what you you're capable off until you take extremely powerful drugs, lol

But seriously tho, it sounds like you want to quit and I guarantee you that champix will take the edge off.

I'm 18 and have been smoking since I was 16. About one month ago I switched to Snus and haven't even had a drag since then.
My plan is to empty my last can next Saturday when I can't buy another one and then quit the habit for good.

I'm 22 and have been smoking for about 3 years. Tried it first time when I was 15 and smoked every now and then when I was out drinking.

Started decreasing my smoking though, I was smoking almost a pack a day when I was working with customer service. Then I smoked about half a pack when I started uni and now I'm down to about a third of a pack a day.
But sometimes I can go a whole day with just 1-2 cigarettes.
Feels harder to take this last step down to nothing than it was going from 19 cigarettes to about 5 per day

But I'm thinking I better quit as soon as possible not only for my health but for my wallet as well

good job bro

So true. We're on the completely same level here. Dreaming about smoking has happened three or four times now and I also wake up damn near crying with relief :D

I have been lucky with the weight so far, only 10 pounds and I was skinny to begin with so I actually look pretty alright again :)

Just everything is spot on. They should make an anti-smoking campaign with that slogan.

>empty my last can next Saturday
Ask me how I know you aren't going to make it?

Throw that shit out, clean the house of anything nicotine related, see your doctor or get the patch or some weed, and hunker down.

Shut off all contact with those who will enable. They will understand and if not fuck them

At your age the withdrawl will be so minor dude. STOP NOW.

Do what sneaky cat tells you!!

My buddy promised to bring me a really nice can from Sweden and If I quit now I will be standing in the tobacco store on Tuesday

Did quitting cost you any real friendships? I mean friendships you really appreciated?

anybody got a smoke i can bum?

why didn't you just smoke some weed instead?

Think about what you are saying user. You obviously aren't ready to quit, so just enjoy it. You are not in control of your brain, the chemicals are. Sorry, I have been there.

The way to know you are ready to quit is when you are like physically angry at the addiction. For me I remember buying a pack (after having tried to quit all weekend and being dumb enough to smoke cigars to ween myself). I bought a pack, smoked two and crushed the rest in my fist and said 'enough is enough'.

Not really. But what helped me is I used the patch and super green weed. So I was able to keep my friends because I made the deal that if they came over they could smoke all the buds they wanted but I didn't want to see cigs.

^^ bro....I quit with my wife a few years ago ( i failed after 3 months..stress got me) and she has been smoke free for almost 3yrs
I'll try again soon
Gratz again bro

It was not available to me at fifteen. Honestly I just think I would have smoked both, in my nostrils too if I could

I'm sorry but it's true. You are not nearly ready. If you're not already thinking about all the cleaning and painting you need to do then you are not ready.

Smoked for approx 20yr. Xmas day last year was last time I had a cig. Feel better and have more money to waste.

>I'll try again soon
Why not today? If you are married I recommend a reward system. See if your wife with give you a BJ if you get through the day without a smoke. Or a handjob in the mall parking lot. Something you maybe don't do that often that is 100% rewarding to you. Just a tip.

I should start growing weed I guess ;)

Cleaning and painting?

Thank you so much. You should be very proud of your wife. Please try again soon. Think of your health and the health of your family. Think of it as the long emergency. It WILL get better!!

For me weed was my reward system and also my crutch (along with the patch). I know they say not to trade one addiction for another but fuck them it worked. Instead of growing it you could just buy some!!

If you smoked inside there nicotine everywhere. You need to get it cleaned off everything. The walls, the floors, the ceiling, the furniture, everything. This is just the beginning. You need help for this, from your family maybe your doctor and all those who wish you would quit.

>44
That's not even healthy, faggot.

Like I said, the hash is real, the weed not so much :/

I quit smoking cigarettes 2 years ago. You can do other things like drinking beer and smoke hash or weed.

Not to mention coffee and sugarfree soda. Fucking aspartame is my crutch now, haha

Yeah i guess that's a better option during the day anyway.