Is this actually a good movie, or just, you know, good for the time it was made in, a hundred years ago?

Is this actually a good movie, or just, you know, good for the time it was made in, a hundred years ago?

Do I need to analyze the shit out of it and write a thesis on it to appreciate it?

I think it got famous for the way the plot was delivered and not for being a good movie.
But I never actually saw it.

Bumping with ass

Oh... I wondered about that. If it was something really novel and inventive, but at the time, and in the time since we've seen it done a million times abd better, and if you dont have the appreciation for context, it's just another old movie.

It's a really well shot movie and possibly ushered in modern filmmaking. But when you realize that the entire premise of the film, investigating the last words of a dying newspaper magnate is rediculous since there was no one there to hear them. Rosebuddddd

Well, that's pretty much how I felt when I tried to watch it. But since you already know the most important part of the movie (rosebud), it very quickly became boring for me.

>just another old movie

If you're trying to develop a broad appreciation of film then watch it. It's a highly regarded classic. Otherwise you'll just be that bullshitter pretending to have seen things you didn't and eventually you'll be laughed at.

Citizen Kane was modeled after William Randolph Hearst who was so outraged by the movie, that he destroyed Orson Wells. Rosebud was Hearst's pet name for Marion Davies cunt.

The cinematography is fantastic.

I watched it for an investigation project and thought it was pretty decent. It was entertaining at least.

think its surprising that its still always #1 on every greatest film list.

I'll have to watch it then. Do you mean more in terms of imagery or scene composition?

It's pretty good. The plot is interesting, it makes you care what happens, and the acting is great. The cinematography looks normal by today's standards, which is amazing for a film that old. Nowadays every movie is shot the way Citezin Kane was, with lots of different angles for stuff instead of just staying on a flat stage for the whole scene. Didn't do it first, just did it better. And if you don't know why his dying word was Rosebud, definitely watch it because the big reveal is a satisfying twist.

They never figure out what it meant. Surprise!

Not true

I liked it. Exceptional for the era it was released in. Great twist at the end if you don't know it ahead of time. Good writing, shot well, acted well, although I do feel it is a bit over rated. I wasn't completely wrapped up in the plot and felt that emotional tug that some movies illicit from me, but entertaining nonetheless.

Definitely not the greatest movie of all time though.

True. Rosebud is never defined in the film.

It's a total "When you see it, you'll shit bricks" situation.

At the end they say Rosebud was his childhood sled. Then it zooms in on it.

All you need to keep in mind for your thesis is that the aliens were the good guys

Saw it yesterday actually. The acting is kind of stale at times, but it still feels pretty natural. It'll probably make you rethink your values at least a little, unless you've already got your head sorted out. Definitely worth watching.

Kek

>Do I need to analyze the shit out of it and write a thesis on it to appreciate it?
Nope, but if you can't appreciate serious stories and are just a whore for explosions and shit blowing up, you won't appreciate it for its technical brilliance. It's definitely a good plotline though, all told. It also blew my mind to find out that not only was this Welles' first film as director, he was also the one playing Kane.

Dubs replying to dubs - dubchkd

Also everyone is correct in that Citizen Kane was not the first movie to use any of its techniques. However, it was the first to use them all TOGETHER to create a whole that was greater than them sum of its parts.

If earlier films created the vocabulary (techniques) of film, then you might say Citizen Kane defined the grammar of film - how to string together and combine these techniques.